My Latest Rant - Department of Land Transport

brucegoniners

Just now, Briggsy said:

I think LivinLOS's comment is perfectly intelligible and that you are actively seeking a polemic and not being constructive.

For sure, Livinlos's comment is 100% on topic of both the OP and in reply to Surasak !!

51 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What does building a car from parts have to do with the OP or the person your are quoting ?

He said you need registrations and address proof to register a car.. You dont. You sign a document and post it off (you can also look the cars history online, its annual mileage records so the clocks are not tampered, the annual road test advisories, etc). 

But also, theres no 'issues' with registrations.. Theres no going to the land transport office to be told the frame number has been modified, or the cars age doesnt match the model, or any one of 10s of things that can go wrong here.. Why ?? Because theres a simple legal system to register cars, not some minefield of badly thought out protectionist policies, badly implemented, different by different offices, making large sections of the used market 'bent' registrations which can catch you out years later. 

15 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

He said you need registrations and address proof to register a car.. You dont. You sign a document and post it off (you can also look the cars history online, its annual mileage records so the clocks are not tampered, the annual road test advisories, etc). 

But also, theres no 'issues' with registrations.. Theres no going to the land transport office to be told the frame number has been modified, or the cars age doesnt match the model, or any one of 10s of things that can go wrong here.. Why ?? Because theres a simple legal system to register cars, not some minefield of badly thought out protectionist policies, badly implemented, different by different offices, making large sections of the used market 'bent' registrations which can catch you out years later. 

Im sure all that means something to someone but ive no idea what you are waffling about.

Getting back to the OP. It is unfortunate for him that he didn't do a little bit of research about how to get the car rego (Blue Book) in his name.

There is a wealth of info on the Internet about almost every conceivable topic that's likely to confuse us expats.

A car is one of the very few things we can actually legally own outright in LOS, so why wouldn't you ... and I think it's a bit of a "bloke thing" that many guys simply like the freedom of owning their car.

If the Blue Book is in her name, the car vanishes pretty quickly if the relationship bites the dust. Nice gift. I personally know 3 expats that are now riding scooters because the car Blue Book was in someone else's name.

Edited by electric

The OP can still register the car in his name- go with wife to LTO and transfer the vehicle to his name- bring passport and proof of address. Papers filled out and a nominal fee paid. I have done this before and never asked for a work permit.  When I sold the car- the buyer and I did the same process- transfer to the buyer very easily accomplished.

You was given the wrong information. Wether your on a tourist visa a non o or extension of stay you do not need a work permit to register a car in your name. Have done this many times you need a certificate of residence or a yellow book. So I would go back and talk to them nicely of course not like your post.

On 23/1/2560 at 1:39 PM, Briggsy said:

It is likely the OP was unaware that proof of address is mandatory when registering a vehicle. Thus he felt frustrated when the reality of the situation was presented to him at the Land Transport Department. It may well also be that the OP cannot speak Thai and thus some of the communication was translated to him in broken English and some filtered out. Clearly he never got the message about the certificate of residence. These communication problems typically compound frustration, particularly for older farang males who suddenly find themselves helpless, a situation they have not encountered for a long time.

Letter from immigration, Yellow book, Pink ID card......any will do to solve the problem, maybe he should have asked TV first?? :smile::wai:

I have a car and a motorcycle registered in my name, and never had a work permit, so you were misinformed.

I believe I just had to get a residence certificate from immigration.

Are we sure your wife didn't make private arrangements?

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, Surasak said:

The point here is, had th OP tried to register a car in his home country, proof of address would be required. Whats different?

Not so true.  I didn't even have a US residence last time I registered a car.  I just had to give them an address.  No proof required.  I used my company's office address.  It was in Texas and I registered the car in Wyoming and they didn't bat an eyelash.  They were happy to take the fee.  But then, Wyoming is a refuge from Nanny Land...

Edited by impulse

What is? Presume you mean address they won't accept it. My licence says I still live in Pattaya i don't they won't change it for reasons best known to them untill the 5 year change.

You have your home address and passport no on your full license so it's easy to buy n register a vehicle in ones name wherever you buy it here.Yet you still here folks say you can't for reasons they can't explain to you that add up

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

You have your home address and passport no on your full license so it's easy to buy n register a vehicle in ones name wherever you buy it here.Yet you still here folks say you can't for reasons they can't explain to you that add up

And how many vehicles have you registered into your name using only your drivers licence ?

12 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

What is? Presume you mean address they won't accept it. My licence says I still live in Pattaya i don't they won't change it for reasons best known to them untill the 5 year change.

Which is very useful if having to deal with immigration (TM 30's etc)

30 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

No I don't have my home address or  on my DL I have old address they will not change DL untill end of its life 5 years I have another 1 year to go

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

Work permit is the easiest way to verify your address. You might have tried swearing your address at your embassy.

That may be so with regards work permit, but I would think that only a small percentage of TV Forum readers would have one, or could get one.

Whereas, most of us could easily get a Residency Certificate from our BKK Embassy, allbeit an inconvenient journey to the big smoke if you don't live in BKK.

Personally, I used my Yellow Book for my car rego in my name. At least I think it's my Yellow Book ... there's not a single word of English anywhere in it. 555