Brexit is opportunity to pull Europe closer together - EU official

webfact

Brexit is opportunity to pull Europe closer together - EU official

By Daniel Bases

REUTERS

r7.jpg

Guy Verhofstadt, President of the Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) attends the presentation of the candidates for the election to the office of the President at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, January 17, 2017. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The European Union Parliament's chief Brexit negotiator on Monday said Britain's decision to make a clean break from the EU was an opportunity to reform Europe and avoid a further breakdown in ties between its remaining member states.

Former Belgian Prime Minister and member of the European Parliament Guy Verhofstadt also said the election of U.S. President Donald Trump, and what he views as Washington's move toward more protectionism, is a wake-up call for the EU.

"The Brexit discussion is a good opportunity not only to discuss and negotiate a new agreement, a new partnership with Britain, but also to fix that now it is time to have a real government in Europe," Verhofstadt said in an interview with Reuters in New York while promoting his new book: "Europe's Last Chance."

In June, Britons voted 52-48 percent to leave the EU, triggering a change of government leadership and the appointment of Theresa May as Prime Minister. On Jan. 17 May said Britain will leave the EU's single market when it exits the European Union. She wants to start the process by the end of March.

However, Britain's Supreme Court will rule on Jan. 24 on whether parliament must first agree to triggering Article 50, which formally starts Britain's two-year divorce process.

Verhofstadt said it was "far too early" to speculate on the impact for Britain, or the City of London, Europe's biggest financial centre.

"It is clear the transition needs to be limited in time. I have seen temporary things become eternal," Verhofstadt said, adding: "What is far more important is a clear triggering of 50, a clear proposal by the British government and how they see the partnership in the future."

"We have to see if they ask for a free trade agreement. It could be something different," he said.

Verhofstadt is working to get Parliament a seat at the negotiating table rather than be consulted before and after each round of talks.

"We have to conclude before the European elections of 2019," he said, reiterating that Britain will not be able to choose policies allowing it to fare better by being outside of the EU instead of being a full member.

Rather than retreat and fracture, Europe should create a political and defence union, and unify its common market across more industries and service sectors, Verhofstadt said.

"It is a wake-up call," he said, driven by "Brexit, and amplified by the elections in the United States."

(Reporting by Daniel Bases; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-24

"It is a wake-up call," he said, driven by "Brexit, and amplified by the elections in the United States."

Impossible for you lot to wake up since you're practically comatose, sleepwalking towards the abyss. Verhofstadt, Juncker, Tusk, Schulz and co don't know their bottom from their elbow and are completely disconnected from the people.

42 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Reading between the lines, make it more difficult to do what the UK is doing.

However the EU certainly needs a massive shake up.

maybe if they had paid more attention to Cameron instead of ignoring him a couple of years ago all this could have been avoided 

The EU will not survive without the UK, only Germany and the UK have a chance on their own, the rest are in so deep that they couldn't leave if they wanted too, Spain and Italy are bankrupt and many other member states are in a similar position to Greece, when the whole thing falls apart France will expect Germany to bail them out the rest will be thrown to the dogs, what a sorry state of affairs because a few got power greedy and wanted more..............................what was wrong with the simple EEC 

What he means is that we will make it even more difficult for countries to get out (if not impossible) and cause so much bureaucratic red tape that it would take decades to happen, whilst imposing such financial penalties that the country would be ruined.

What an absolute idiot he is. In other circles his vision would be classed as a dictatorship.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Impossible for you lot to wake up since you're practically comatose, sleepwalking towards the abyss. Verhofstadt, Juncker, Tusk, Schulz and co don't know their bottom from their elbow and are completely disconnected from the people.

Like really disconnected. They are constantly busy with the lipstick on political pigs and trying to spin a negative into a positive. Geeze give us some credit out here in LaLa land. 

8 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Reading between the lines, make it more difficult to do what the UK is doing.

However the EU certainly needs a massive shake up.

with The UK out of The EU .They are running scared. Awaiting for others to exit.

4 hours ago, gamini said:

The EU will be much better without the United Kingdom. Good riddance I say.

Yes we will  be at a loss becasue 19 unelected men will not be making decisions behind closed lock doors in secret for us, The crux of why people voted out,  Along with overcrowded, Schools NHS, Prisons ,  yep they will really do better without us.

The way I see it the EU is just as protectionist as the Donald. The pot calling

the kettle black. And every time I here we are not going to punish the UK

all I hear is we are going to screw them as hard as possible to make sure

no other country would dare leave. This is the true opportunity that Brexit

provides :coffee1:

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

"Brexit is opportunity to pull Europe closer together - EU official"

Clutching at straws, me thinks !   I suspect they know that there is a real danger of the whole thing falling apart !

that might be the case once the mighty British Empire, the actual locomotive of the EU, has left. :whistling:

Clutching at straws, me thinks !   I suspect they know that there is a real danger of the whole thing falling apart !

Its the new alternate truth spin a negative into a positive with a little lip gloss. 

i call "clutching straws" when quoting the misleading headline of a Reuters journalist and not submitting a link to context.

"The Brexit discussion is a good opportunity not only to discuss and negotiate a new agreement, a new partnership with Britain, but also to fix that now it is time to have a real government in Europe," Verhofstadt said in an interview with Reuters in New York while promoting his new book: "Europe's Last Chance."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-opportunity-pull-europe-closer-together-eu-official-012646037.html

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Its the new alternate truth spin a negative into a positive with a little lip gloss. 

why don't you read the full article? by the way... anybody who is able to judge economic reality can forecast for which party Brexit will be negative.

5 hours ago, Naam said:

can you provide some sources for your ridiculous claim?

I will help the poster out. There are countless more reports of what the EU and its countries are threatening to do to the UK.

https://heatst.com/world/eu-chief-jean-claude-juncker-threatens-britain-over-brexit-deserters/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/678280/EU-referendum-Brexit-France-European-Union-Europe

http://news.sky.com/story/european-parliament-chief-martin-schulz-warns-no-a-la-carte-over-brexit-10589765

12 hours ago, Naam said:

why did i always have the feeling there won't be any Brexit? :huh:

You could be right. I've thought the same,since the Democratic vote of the British last June. The reason being,that the Dutch,French and The Irish have also previously voted against some aspect of the EU. Unfortunately their Democratic vote was sidelined by the Beurocratic elite, the same as now being attempted in the UK.

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

can you also some some sources which are not questionable?

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You could be right. I've thought the same,since the Democratic vote of the British last June. The reason being,that the Dutch,French and The Irish have also previously voted against some aspect of the EU. Unfortunately their Democratic vote was sidelined by the Beurocratic elite, the same as now being attempted in the UK.

i expect the whole thing will be a zero sum game, i.e. as a result the [not so United] Kingdom will be an associated member like Norway. then the bigmouthed politicians of both sides will celebrate themselves as winners.