Being kicked out of condo for 1 hour late rent (over the contracted deadline)

8 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Had a tenant once for over 20 years, and never once had to ask for the rent ! Last day of the month he would appear and say "Here you go, Mo Ham Head, next month,s rent". Have another one who is ALWAYS late with the rent, and one time he was 6 weeks late, and had to go over with a policeman to get the rent out of him, but what he doesn,t realize is that the money I had to pay for the policeman,s assistance is coming out of his security deposit. A good tenant is worth their weight in gold !

i agree 100℅

10 hours ago, newnative said:

Loved the headline 'kicked out for being an hour later with the rent'.  Well, no, it turns out the rent's actually half a month late

The situation is sorted out now.

I told my friend to do the 'Wai Sorry-thing' to the Landlord and ask for a mutual understanding.

so the Landlord agreed to let her stay until the end of her contracted month.

in response to your question:

a contract is a contract, and whatever words are written within that contract is the agreement between the people signing it. So if the contract allows tenants to pay rent lat (with a daily fine) up to a maximum of 15 days, then this is perfectly fine to do and the Landlord should not be angry with his tenant for following the requirements written within the contract.

just as in Basketball, one knows that you cant travel more than 3 steps without dribbling the ball.

so, even if she pays rent late several times, it is all within the boundaries of the contract.

So, yes, you are correct about it being 2 weeks late.

but also I am correct in saying that it was 1 hour late (from the contracted payment time) and it was an hour after the office shut.

but anyway,, it has been sorted out now.

Your landlord has already been generous with that 15 days leeway. My rental contracts to tenants are only 5 days...

But they remit the rent directly to my bank account anytime 24/7.

Edited by trogers

13 hours ago, gemguy said:

Well...first of all, the landlords can try to do anything they please ...and then you can fight with them...... as they think they are Lords that can do anything they want.

Meantime...find another place to stay and be happy you do not have to deal with such an insufferable  A-HOLE.

Also...when you do find another place ...seriously.... ask as many of the existing tenants as possible, exactly what the land lords and or apartment / condo management are like and how small minded they are or what kind of BS they pull on the tenants ...because it seems about 50% of the apartment and condos and places to rent are owned by small minded A-Holes and you will wish you never choose that place to stay in the first place.

When you move in you had better take detailed photos of every single little aspect of what is damaged or worn out or not working  AND make sure it is written in blood that you will get your deposit back in full as long as nothing is damaged AND they know how to discern the difference between normal use wear and tear and do not try to claim you owe them anything at all for normal wear and tear and clearly separate from something you damaged.

Who will pay for servicing the air conditioners when needed to be serviced and, if and when air conditioners break down... who will pay????...should NOT be You.

All Appliances that wear out and or break down and no fault of your own...who will pay???...should Not be You  

Many items to consider because all too may of the people renting and leasing are low life, shady characters that never had any intention of retuning your security deposit / damage deposit and consider that money to now be their money to use as they please and they will try  and try as much as possible to keep your money....as if they are entitled to it.

I have been very lucky .......no problems ...knock on wood...

Meantime  A-Hole land lords screwing over their tenants is widespread  while all too many people commonly have to fight like hell to get their money back or have the owners of the apartments and condos pay to fix or replace their property...not yours.

Cheers

If I may present the flip side.  My partner has started to manage 3  one bedroom condos that he rents out yearly. All 3 condos were brand new at the time of the first tenants moving in. Tenant 1 is fine so far and still renting. Pays his rent on time. Unknown as to how he is caring for the condo as it has not been inspected. Tenant 2 moved out recently after about a year.  In the year's time he managed to ruin the sofa by spilling bleach on it.  He also ruined the 2 vinyl dining chairs by spilling something on the chairs that ate away the vinyl--lord knows what and a mystery as to how he managed to spill it on both chairs.  Part of the wood floors were ruined by water that was spilled on the floor and not mopped up--causing the floors to warp.  The daybed cushions in the bedroom were also ruined by something spilled on them that could not be removed and left big stains.  The bedroom headboard was also ruined by stains from whatever he used on his hair but I'll skip that because  a fabric headboard is probably a bad idea in a rental.  Tenant 3 also recently moved out after around a year.  Always a problem with late rent every single month. Numerous messages had to be sent each month before she finally paid.  Towards the end she stopped answering any messages and when she was over a month late with the rent my partner checked the condo.  She apparently had been living elsewhere and had not paid the electric bills so the power had been off for some time.  All the food in the refrigerator had spoiled badly in the heat and there was a horrible odor--as well as, I think, maggots or some such wormy things. Although he tried to get rid of the horrible smell, it wouldn't go away and he had to buy a new refrigerator.  She had left the balcony kitchen sliding door wide open and left open food on the kitchen counters so there was a huge roach problem.  Sofa was ruined by different things that were spilled on it. Open food was also found behind the sofa. Dining room table was also damaged by something that ruined the table top--it looked too bad to keep for the next tenant so it had to be replaced.  Bathroom vanity top also damaged by stains that could not be removed.  Most of the bed and bath linens were gone and will need to be replaced, as well.   It goes without saying that tenants 2 and 3 left both condos totally filthy with not a clean surface anywhere but that was the least of the problems.  Certainly there are some bad landlords, and it's important for tenants to protect themselves and take the steps that you outline in your post, but I'd wager there are more bad tenants. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

If I may present the flip side.  My partner has started to manage 3  one bedroom condos that he rents out yearly. All 3 condos were brand new at the time of the first tenants moving in. Tenant 1 is fine so far and still renting. Pays his rent on time. Unknown as to how he is caring for the condo as it has not been inspected. Tenant 2 moved out recently after about a year.  In the year's time he managed to ruin the sofa by spilling bleach on it.  He also ruined the 2 vinyl dining chairs by spilling something on the chairs that ate away the vinyl--lord knows what and a mystery as to how he managed to spill it on both chairs.  Part of the wood floors were ruined by water that was spilled on the floor and not mopped up--causing the floors to warp.  The daybed cushions in the bedroom were also ruined by something spilled on them that could not be removed and left big stains.  The bedroom headboard was also ruined by stains from whatever he used on his hair but I'll skip that because  a fabric headboard is probably a bad idea in a rental.  Tenant 3 also recently moved out after around a year.  Always a problem with late rent every single month. Numerous messages had to be sent each month before she finally paid.  Towards the end she stopped answering any messages and when she was over a month late with the rent my partner checked the condo.  She apparently had been living elsewhere and had not paid the electric bills so the power had been off for some time.  All the food in the refrigerator had spoiled badly in the heat and there was a horrible odor--as well as, I think, maggots or some such wormy things. Although he tried to get rid of the horrible smell, it wouldn't go away and he had to buy a new refrigerator.  She had left the balcony kitchen sliding door wide open and left open food on the kitchen counters so there was a huge roach problem.  Sofa was ruined by different things that were spilled on it. Open food was also found behind the sofa. Dining room table was also damaged by something that ruined the table top--it looked too bad to keep for the next tenant so it had to be replaced.  Bathroom vanity top also damaged by stains that could not be removed.  Most of the bed and bath linens were gone and will need to be replaced, as well.   It goes without saying that tenants 2 and 3 left both condos totally filthy with not a clean surface anywhere but that was the least of the problems.  Certainly there are some bad landlords, and it's important for tenants to protect themselves and take the steps that you outline in your post, but I'd wager there are more bad tenants. 

I only rent to tenants who will employ my recommended cleaning lady at least once a week.

But so doing, I would get a report from her on the state of the unit, and could also attend to items that need fast fixing...

On 26/01/2017 at 3:38 PM, tagalong said:

They are just after the deposit.....They do it every where when they can...Thieves....   Been there done that, boring, boring.......

And perhaps the owner prefers to be rid of a tenant who appears to habitually late  paying the rent.

Fifteen days on a monthly agreement seems generous.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, timewilltell said:

Personally, I would go to the police station with the receipt and make a police report.  I would not leave the condo.  Of course the landlord will probably lock the door and if you break the lock it will be criminal damage but I would then present the owner with the police report and say YOU will file a criminal complaint against the owner as the rent was accepted by a member of her family on your friend's behalf.  Accept that she will have to leave and demand the deposit back over which there will be a huge argument and again get the police involved.  As much as you do not like the police neither will the landlord.  Accept that in the end you probably won;t win but the police will probably mediate somewhat.  Next time pay the rent on time.

Thais are opportunist thieves generally and landlords especially.  The whole place is a scam and if you realise that then you don't get too disappointed but at the same time don;t give the scumbags the opportunity either.

Worst advice ever.Most of us here can see who the scammer is and it is not the Thai.

On 1/26/2017 at 9:25 PM, gemguy said:

Well...first of all, the landlords can try to do anything they please ...and then you can fight with them...... as they think they are Lords that can do anything they want.

Meantime...find another place to stay and be happy you do not have to deal with such an insufferable  A-HOLE.

Also...when you do find another place ...seriously.... ask as many of the existing tenants as possible, exactly what the land lords and or apartment / condo management are like and how small minded they are or what kind of BS they pull on the tenants ...because it seems about 50% of the apartment and condos and places to rent are owned by small minded A-Holes and you will wish you never choose that place to stay in the first place.

When you move in you had better take detailed photos of every single little aspect of what is damaged or worn out or not working  AND make sure it is written in blood that you will get your deposit back in full as long as nothing is damaged AND they know how to discern the difference between normal use wear and tear and do not try to claim you owe them anything at all for normal wear and tear and clearly separate from something you damaged.

Who will pay for servicing the air conditioners when needed to be serviced and, if and when air conditioners break down... who will pay????...should NOT be You.

All Appliances that wear out and or break down and no fault of your own...who will pay???...should Not be You  

Many items to consider because all too may of the people renting and leasing are low life, shady characters that never had any intention of retuning your security deposit / damage deposit and consider that money to now be their money to use as they please and they will try  and try as much as possible to keep your money....as if they are entitled to it.

I have been very lucky .......no problems ...knock on wood...

Meantime  A-Hole land lords screwing over their tenants is widespread  while all too many people commonly have to fight like hell to get their money back or have the owners of the apartments and condos pay to fix or replace their property...not yours.

Cheers

So your an a hole if you want the rent paid on time,not 2 weeks late.Your morals are clearly warped.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:22 AM, easybullet3 said:

The situation is sorted out now.

I told my friend to do the 'Wai Sorry-thing' to the Landlord and ask for a mutual understanding.

so the Landlord agreed to let her stay until the end of her contracted month.

in response to your question:

a contract is a contract, and whatever words are written within that contract is the agreement between the people signing it. So if the contract allows tenants to pay rent lat (with a daily fine) up to a maximum of 15 days, then this is perfectly fine to do and the Landlord should not be angry with his tenant for following the requirements written within the contract.

just as in Basketball, one knows that you cant travel more than 3 steps without dribbling the ball.

so, even if she pays rent late several times, it is all within the boundaries of the contract.

So, yes, you are correct about it being 2 weeks late.

but also I am correct in saying that it was 1 hour late (from the contracted payment time) and it was an hour after the office shut.

but anyway,, it has been sorted out now.

So much for a hole landlords eh.Hearts of gold,some of them.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

So your an a hole if you want the rent paid on time,not 2 weeks late.Your morals are clearly warped.

Yes you would be considered an A-Hole  by consensus if you handle your tenants the way the landlord did handle their tenant such as explained in detail in the OP and assuming it is true.

If you are a landlord and you deal with your tenants in the same manner as explained in the OP ..... then yes YOU would be considered an A-Hole....... by consensus .

As long as the rent gets paid eventually and not excessively late ..as in months and months...... then there is no big deal.......not the end of the world...just a minor inconvenience really.

I have been fortunate that all the landlords that I have ever had to deal with are very reasonable and very flexible while I have always paid my rent ON TIME  and if I could not pay on time then I would not hesitate to deal with the landlord directly and explain the situation and work something out with a reasonable landlord.

But many of them are A-Holes...truth be told ......and you find out when you start to rent or certainly when you vacate the premises and they TRY, as in TRY, to keep your money and refuse to return your damage deposit and or security deposit money until they are forced to return it while all the while they are bitter that they did not get away with keeping your money.

A common example is my wife's relative who is renting a room:

When she moved into the apartment building the women who owns the apartment building lives in the building and does everything herself, so all tenants deal directly with the owner of the building and pay all monies directly to the lady landlord.  

The relative was told the only room available was on the top floor, so she took the only room available.

Then it turned out that room was available because it is very noisy, as the water pump for the roof top water tank is less than 10 feet away on the outside of her apartment wall and very noisy when operating.

So, she asked for another room but told none were available ....so she applied for another room and requested another room if and when another room became available.

Eventually about 6 months later one room did become available as the relative could see someone was moving out.

But the landlord gave that room to new tenant ..even though the relative had repeatedly requested another room when and if another room closer to the ground floor became available while the lady Landlord agreed that the relative could move into another room if and when another room became free.....but she gave it to another person.

May seem like a small matter but starts to reveal the A-Hole attitude of the owner.

Then, the air conditioner in the relatives noisy room stopped working, so naturally she informs the Lady landlord and the lady landlord says it will be taken care of  "but" the tenant has to pay for the repairs and if not then the cost of repair will be deducted from the security deposit.

Nice eh??? ...but I surmise you would agree with that sort of landlord  mentality.

To make matters worse, the relative had to give the lady landlord 2000 Baht upfront before she would call the air conditioner mechanics to come and look at the problem and after it was fixed the lady landlord told the relative the final cost to fix it was 2500 baht ...so demanded another 500 baht or will be deducted off the security deposit.

I would venture to say, 100 % sure, the cost of the repair was most likely less than 1000 Baht for the air con mechanic(s) to  come and find out what was wrong and or fix the problem while the sleazy lady landlord made a personal profit on fixing her own property while more or less extorting money from the relative.

I can only imagine what will ensue when the relative decides to move out, while I bet the Lady Landlord will refuse to return the deposit money, equivalent to 2 months rent

Bangkok is full of A-Hole Landlords who operate like that and you do not know until you move in and then more or less "trapped" and subjected to small minded A-Hole landlord mentality......lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy