Who of the Phuket regulars are leaving?

KarenBravo

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Left the forum but lurking! "Last active three hours ago" according to his member profile.

Come on LIK, if you can read, you can post!

I stopped posting due to that "wait 30 seconds to post" nonsense.  Someone finally told me that script has been removed.  Maybe the same scenario for LIK.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I stopped posting due to that "wait 30 seconds to post" nonsense.  Someone finally told me that script has been removed.  Maybe the same scenario for LIK.

I never came across this. Maybe your browser? 

I noticed you were less active than usual SP.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Yes, that message disappeared a little while ago. I was going to let people know, but thought that wouldn't be popular with management. 

On 21/03/2017 at 4:31 AM, Old Croc said:

Did you even read the OP?

I re-read the OP. 

His profile shows he his still a member, also, he's online from time to time.

So, should be be classified at "left?" 

It appears he is still on the forum, however, only reading, not posting. 

8 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I re-read the OP. 

His profile shows he his still a member, also, he's online from time to time.

So, should be be classified at "left?" 

It appears he is still on the forum, however, only reading, not posting. 

This thread was about people who have left the FORUM as active posters. No reason they can't still lurk. 

Several pages in, the thread morphed into discussion on people who had left Phuket. There was never a suggestion that Lik had moved physically.

It seems some threads and posts on the subject of this topic have been removed.

People really should read the updated rules on Privacy and Intellectual Property Rights.

30 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

This thread was about people who have left the FORUM as active posters. No reason they can't still lurk. 

Several pages in, the thread morphed into discussion on people who had left Phuket. There was never a suggestion that Lik had moved physically.

It seems some threads and posts on the subject of this topic have been removed.

People really should read the updated rules on Privacy and Intellectual Property Rights.

I suppose if one was to physically leave Phuket, they would tend to show an interest in the forum of their chosen new home.  Of course, they may like to lurk on the Phuket Forum from time to time, either way, they would post less on the Phuket Forum.

I don't see a problem with distinguishing between those that have physically left Phuket, and those who have left the Phuket Forum completely, and those that do not post anymore, but lurk. 

"People really should read the updated rules on Privacy and Intellectual Property Rights." - what do you mean by this?

Edited by NamKangMan

On 3/21/2017 at 3:49 PM, steelepulse said:

Yes I was 'lurking' and hoping that TV would come to it's senses and stop this 30 second wait when using adblock. Now I see that adblock is accepted and while still some ads it does not block  but now it's acceptable (to me) and I'll post again when appropriate.

But I have to say that the quality of some TV posters (not so much Phuket members) are not worth reading. I have still been annoying the mods with reports ...

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the Phuket News Forum has posts every day, has anyone noticed the regular Phuket Forum has been very slow in recent times for posts from members?

So, I ask the question, is this because Phuket Forum members have physically left Phuket, or refuse to post, due to TV software, or are lurking????

6 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

or are lurking

Currently "lurking" in Vietnam but will be back to Patong shortly.

I never found the adblocker rule to be a problem as I am able to disable it for the TV site, and a few seconds wait doesn't worry me, but it would seem that the number and regularity of posters  has declined?? 

I post when something of interest appears in the weekly digest of Phuket topics, and if I need assistance from the Phuket members. 

I don't look at the Phuket forum daily, nor do I read TV daily - it could become a full time job! 

I read the forum daily, but haven't seen any interesting posts recently.  (I find the lengthy post about how quiet Patong is to be worth a read).

I'm on holiday in Hua Hin right now, back to Myanmar in a few weeks from now.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I read the forum daily, but haven't seen any interesting posts recently.  (I find the lengthy post about how quiet Patong is to be worth a read).

I'm on holiday in Hua Hin right now, back to Myanmar in a few weeks from now.

Maybe a few of mine Simon???

Now in Vietnam as wanted to see if I could use it as "bolthole" just in case things "blow up" (sorry about pun, not intended) in Thailand, but find that I am missing Patong for all its faults!!! Just goes to show that sometimes time away from a place gives you a different perspective on things.

As for Vietnam, well it does nothing for me, so as yet it won't be on my list, whereas Siam Reap will, but then again maybe my love affair with Patong will be re-kindled after time away, AND as I have mentioned before I have put roots down there with many friends and acquaintances as well as my unofficial daughter whom I am looking after by seeing that she has a good education and a future.........maybe I am destined to be in Patong for the rest of my days, warts and all (Patong, not me!!).

...but find that I am missing Patong for all its faults!!! 

For me, I never missed Patong :)

I spent a few days last week in Pattaya. I actually like Pattaya because of all the facilities (supermarkets, shops, good restaurants, hospital, beach walk etc), within a short distance AND the ease to get about using the cheap baht buses.

Even though I stayed right in the BG area (Soi Post Office), I didn't find the atmosphere 'in my face' at all - very subdued really.

If I were to retire to a city location, it would probably be Pattaya.

...as well as my unofficial daughter whom I am looking after by seeing that she has a good education and a future

Good on you for that.  I tried this last year with my 2 nieces - daughters of the useless brother of my useless ex-wife #2. All they wanted to do was skip school, take drugs and go out at night with the local teen boys... I gave it 3 attempts to get them on a good path but finally had to admit defeat.(sad).

Edited by simon43

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 6:49 PM, madmax2 said:

Probably 90% of the people who post on Thaivisa forums are lurking

They live in other countries and have holidayed in Thailand at some stage and like people to think they are regular expats

"They live in other countries and have holidayed in Thailand at some stage and like people to think they are regular expats" - what would be their motive for doing that?

On 13/04/2017 at 1:06 PM, simon43 said:

For me, I never missed Patong :)

I spent a few days last week in Pattaya. I actually like Pattaya because of all the facilities (supermarkets, shops, good restaurants, hospital, beach walk etc), within a short distance AND the ease to get about using the cheap baht buses.

Even though I stayed right in the BG area (Soi Post Office), I didn't find the atmosphere 'in my face' at all - very subdued really.

If I were to retire to a city location, it would probably be Pattaya.

Good on you for that.  I tried this last year with my 2 nieces - daughters of the useless brother of my useless ex-wife #2. All they wanted to do was skip school, take drugs and go out at night with the local teen boys... I gave it 3 attempts to get them on a good path but finally had to admit defeat.(sad).

"AND the ease to get about using the cheap baht buses." - AMAZING THAILAND.  :biggrin:

Unfortunately, The Democratic People's Republic of Phuket  doesn't have "baht buses." 

Edited by NamKangMan

"AND the ease to get about using the cheap baht buses." - AMAZING THAILAND

Yep, I consider it one of the major advantages of Pattaya/Jomtien ==> just hop on, hop off.

I know some posters do have issues with the baht buses, but you need to ask Jingthing about that.....

21 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yep, I consider it one of the major advantages of Pattaya/Jomtien ==> just hop on, hop off.

I know some posters do have issues with the baht buses, but you need to ask Jingthing about that.....

You look at the Pattaya baht buses as an advantage Pattaya has over Phuket, but I would suggest to you that the majority of western tourists who visit Phuket will never go to Pattaya.

So, that only leaves Phuket with the huge disadvantage of not having a similar transport option for tourist who come here.

I would invite your comment on the "free market trade" for commercial property rental in Pattaya, rather than a dozen Thai families owning all the land on Phuket, and driving the prices of rent up to uncompetitive prices, which is passed on to the consumer / tourists /expat / local.

Edited by NamKangMan

On 4/13/2017 at 10:06 AM, simon43 said:

Also good on you for trying to do the same Simon, but then again that's all you can do, and if they don't want to realise what you're trying to do for them and their future, then "up to them" – – you can only but try.

All the cheap charlies who continuously complain about the cost of transport in Phuket should shift to Pattaya where they can afford  the public transport, and stop moaning and whinging on this forum

like a broken record continually repeating itself

There are 28,000 reasons to keep you happy and contented there, so get a life 

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

All the cheap charlies who continuously complain about the cost of transport in Phuket should shift to Pattaya where they can afford  the public transport, and stop moaning and whinging on this forum

like a broken record continually repeating itself

There are 28,000 reasons to keep you happy and contented there, so get a life 

Not to mention all the people that die, or are seriously injured, on Phuket's roads.  Oh, that's right, you didn't mention them.  :whistling:

Didn't you buy a minivan taxi for a Thai relative of yours?  If so, you can hardly be subjective on the transport issue.

Edited by NamKangMan

More subjective than someone who goes out for a night on the booze and complains about the cost of catching a taxi or tuk tuk home

They do not have to carry drunks here or in any other country and have the right to refuse to take you anywhere and can charge you want they want to, you can always walk if you cannot afford to pay, no one likes a whinging drunk

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Not to mention all the people that die, or are seriously injured, on Phuket's roads.  Oh, that's right, you didn't mention them.  :whistling:

Didn't you buy a minivan taxi for a Thai relative of yours?  If so, you can hardly be subjective on the transport issue.

Our son has no problem getting customers who want decent safe transport, the couple of tight farang whingers he has transported have been very happy with his service, but he does not want their business again and i fully agree with him, poor farangs who expect special prices and treatment are a pain in the butt for most Thai people 

I'm not sure where all this is going with regards to Phuket transport and baht buses in Pattaya, however for the record I think the baht buses in Pattaya are a good idea and an easy way to get round for locals and tourists alike.

I also believe they would be good in Phuket (Patong) but with the situation being what it is with regards to the taxi Mafia/transport Mafia and everyone else who has their snouts in the trough here in Patong, I doubt whether that's going to change any time soon so we just have to put up with what transport we can get.

If a group of friends went out then we would allocate one alcohol free driver and the rest of us could drink as we wished; there is also the availability of motorbike taxis and that is now my chosen mode of transport from my place to Bangla and it serves me well, and not only that when I wend my way back from Bangla I catch a motorbike taxi at the bottom of Sansabai and they have got to know me now and they always greet me cordially and seem genuinely concerned about my welfare, which I like.

It's not likely to change any time soon here, so we just adapt accordingly (in my book) – – and as it is not going to change, there is no real point in arguing about it, surely??

Edited by xylophone
Speller

but then again that's all you can do, and if they don't want to realise what you're trying to do for them and their future, then "up to them" – – you can only but try.

Completely off-topic, but quickly just to close this one:

I had a Canadian teacher stay at my B&B (before I moved out from Phuket).  He had more than 20 years experience teaching teenage girls, (and was a family guy with teen daughters).

I recounted my tale of woe to him about my nieces.  He said that in all his many years of experience, he had never heard of a single case where someone had managed to get 'bad' teenage girls back on the honest path - this only occurred when the girls (women) were maybe 19 or 20 years old, and suddenly realised what sh*ts they had been in their younger teen years.

In his humble opinion, trying to set bad teen girls good was a complete waste of time and effort :)

Anyway, his comments made me feel a little better!

Xylophone, do you find the motorbike taxis drive in a reasonably safe manner?  Crash helmet for you?  What's a typical cost from one end of Patong to t'other?

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Xylophone, do you find the motorbike taxis drive in a reasonably safe manner?  Crash helmet for you?  What's a typical cost from one end of Patong to t'other?

Actually Simon I do find that the motorbike taxis drive in a reasonably safe manner and I always say to them that I am an old fella and would they take it easy and believe it or not they do, sometimes going a little too slow!

As is typically the case here in Patong, not many of them wear crash helmets and they certainly don't provide them for passengers like me (or they haven't up till now) but I feel fairly safe with the speed they go which would be probably around 30 km per hour or thereabouts.

I've never really asked them the cost, I just give them what I think I should and for example from Soi Nanai six to the top of Bangla Road I give about 60 or 70 baht depending upon what I've got in my pocket and they don't seem to mind. On the way back from Bangla I give them 100 baht and they seem to accept it and as I said before, they are always interested in my welfare and I can't say a bad word about them.

For what it's worth, if I'm going out for an evening to spend about 3000 to 5000 baht then I have absolutely no problem with paying a total of 170 baht to get there and back. I would do the same with a tuk tuk if I had to!