Who of the Phuket regulars are leaving?

KarenBravo

Wow, this topic has been derailed, I'm guessing the ice man, who I don't bother with reading or responding to has once again regurgitated his public transport whinge. Get over it! Why does it always have to be the same sh-t every time from this guy that adds nothing to any topic other than the same crap everytime? If you don't like the place MOVE!

Okay I got that out if my system. This thread was about who or why no one posts on this forum or rarely does anymore. Not about Phuket and it's lack of baht buses! If you want baht buses move to Pattaya! As in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny; "what a mooron." Yes the coconut cookie!

Then there is an assumption from someone else that there are a lot of lurkers that just holiday here. I don't know if that's true, many of us over the years have met. I remember there were TV parties hosted back when. I may not live here 365 days a year, but I've had a house or an apartment in Phuket for 12 years. Of course when I'm out of the country I want to keep up on new local visa extension requirements or other things that affect me and there is some good local information from some of us who deal with Phuket Immigration yearly. I can offer suggestions about local businesses I've used for many years. It's kind of nice to be able to live here in Rawai and have a house near the beach in California. Getting my wife a US permanent resident card wasn't easy, and it's a pain to get all the permits for our dog to fly to the US and back every year, but hey, that's what I have to deal with! And to read some of the whinging on this forum, I get a laugh! Try dealing with car insurance, health insurance, utilities and all the other crap in two countries every year. Life's a beach! Get one if you can...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/04/2017 at 7:32 PM, madmax2 said:

More subjective than someone who goes out for a night on the booze and complains about the cost of catching a taxi or tuk tuk home

They do not have to carry drunks here or in any other country and have the right to refuse to take you anywhere and can charge you want they want to, you can always walk if you cannot afford to pay, no one likes a whinging drunk

I haven't caught a tuk-tuk for years.  I have a transport work around that has been going great for quite some time. 

"and can charge you want they want to" - and there within lays the transport problem here. 

I think you will find "World Class Tourist Destinations" have METERED air conditioned taxis. 

Edited by NamKangMan

18 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Wow, this topic has been derailed, I'm guessing the ice man, who I don't bother with reading or responding to has once again regurgitated his public transport whinge. Get over it! Why does it always have to be the same sh-t every time from this guy that adds nothing to any topic other than the same crap everytime? If you don't like the place MOVE!

Okay I got that out if my system. This thread was about who or why no one posts on this forum or rarely does anymore. Not about Phuket and it's lack of baht buses! If you want baht buses move to Pattaya! As in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny; "what a mooron." Yes the coconut cookie!

Then there is an assumption from someone else that there are a lot of lurkers that just holiday here. I don't know if that's true, many of us over the years have met. I remember there were TV parties hosted back when. I may not live here 365 days a year, but I've had a house or an apartment in Phuket for 12 years. Of course when I'm out of the country I want to keep up on new local visa extension requirements or other things that affect me and there is some good local information from some of us who deal with Phuket Immigration yearly. I can offer suggestions about local businesses I've used for many years. It's kind of nice to be able to live here in Rawai and have a house near the beach in California. Getting my wife a US permanent resident card wasn't easy, and it's a pain to get all the permits for our dog to fly to the US and back every year, but hey, that's what I have to deal with! And to read some of the whinging on this forum, I get a laugh! Try dealing with car insurance, health insurance, utilities and all the other crap in two countries every year. Life's a beach! Get one if you can...

Aren't you living in America? 

Do EVERYONE on Phuket a favor and stay there.  :biggrin:

On 4/23/2017 at 2:40 AM, Jimi007 said:

Jimi, my experience is very similar to yours.

In the near future, I'll be switching roles from more of a contributor to more of a "lurker", but I'll remain on the ThaiVisa forum to keep up to date on things that matter to me. Although we're leaving Thailand soon, we have family here and expect to visit a couple of times each year for 1-2 months at a time.

Like you, we maintained two homes (one in the US, and one in Patong) for many years. When we had a townhouse/condo in California, it was easy. We could lock it up, fly to Phuket and stay for 8-10 months without a worry.  Not so much for the standalone house in Florida. My wife "did her time" in the US to gain full citizenship, so now we're free to travel just about anywhere without any hassles. You're correct that the green card or citizenship process isn't cheap, and can be frustrating at times, but given some patience, it's well worth the effort. Although our daughter had a green card, she didn't stay in the US long enough to get her citizenship, and now that she's married and has a child, her green would be confiscated and her chances of getting just a tourist visa to visit the US are about nil.

On the subject of the TV parties held years ago, it's easy to see one reason why they were discontinued. What once started out as a forum for the exchange of useful information and friendly banter has over the years attracted a lot of petty bickering and mean-spirited keyboard warriors. Having these people taking jabs at each other online is one thing, but in the real world at a party - a completely different can of worms.

On 4/24/2017 at 6:54 AM, DrDave said:

In the near future, I'll be switching roles from more of a contributor to more of a "lurker", but I'll remain on the ThaiVisa forum to keep up to date on things that matter to me. Although we're leaving Thailand soon, we have family here and expect to visit a couple of times each year for 1-2 months at a time.

Like you, we maintained two homes (one in the US, and one in Patong) for many years. When we had a townhouse/condo in California, it was easy. We could lock it up, fly to Phuket and stay for 8-10 months without a worry.  Not so much for the standalone house in Florida. My wife "did her time" in the US to gain full citizenship, so now we're free to travel just about anywhere without any hassles. You're correct that the green card or citizenship process isn't cheap, and can be frustrating at times, but given some patience, it's well worth the effort. Although our daughter had a green card, she didn't stay in the US long enough to get her citizenship, and now that she's married and has a child, her green would be confiscated and her chances of getting just a tourist visa to visit the US are about nil.

On the subject of the TV parties held years ago, it's easy to see one reason why they were discontinued. What once started out as a forum for the exchange of useful information and friendly banter has over the years attracted a lot of petty bickering and mean-spirited keyboard warriors. Having these people taking jabs at each other online is one thing, but in the real world at a party - a completely different can of worms.

Exactly! You understand! We just spent a year at our house in Santa Cruz. It's a stand alone on a decent chunk of land. I've been there for for 41 years. All of the neighbors have been around for decades and everyone knows me and they keep an eye on my house. One younger neighbor I pay to mow the yard. We were "stuck" there waiting for my wife's new 10 year green card... I did all the paperwork for her fiancé visa and her change of status, etc. I got frustrated at their last request for more information proving our marriage was legit. I sent them a box full. The new green card was in our mailbox the next week. She's eligible to apply for US citizenship pretty soon, but reading English isn't that easy for her. Her friend's give her grief that she didn't want to go to the US when she worked for IBM and went to Japan instead. Now she is a permanent resident of the US... The end goal is the same as yours, she will have a US passport and a Thai one and we can travel or live wherever we decide. 

And you are right about pointing out that a TV party wouldn't be a good idea anymore. It was a bit different world on this forum back in 2007 when I joined, so was Phuket back in 2005 when I first had a place here... 

Cheers and best wishes! Jimi

It's a great shame that the forum has taken the downturn it has. 

Not all Forums do that, by a long way. I've been on many where everyone's friendly and respectful, with witty banter and no flaming or trolling. Amazing but true!

Does Thailand have that affect on some people; making them unhappy with their way of life and the culture of the country they're living in? Increasingly jaded cynicism.

You know, I think that Thailand is great in a lot of ways but there are enough obstacles to a happy and successful , fully integrated life for a foreigner, that I can see it "doing yer head in", if you're inclined that way in the first place.

6 hours ago, Tapster said:

It's a great shame that the forum has taken the downturn it has. 

Not all Forums do that, by a long way. I've been on many where everyone's friendly and respectful, with witty banter and no flaming or trolling. Amazing but true!

Does Thailand have that affect on some people; making them unhappy with their way of life and the culture of the country they're living in? Increasingly jaded cynicism.

You know, I think that Thailand is great in a lot of ways but there are enough obstacles to a happy and successful , fully integrated life for a foreigner, that I can see it "doing yer head in", if you're inclined that way in the first place.

"Does Thailand have that affect on some people" - or does Thailand just rub off on us all and make us more like the Thai's????

On 24/04/2017 at 9:54 AM, DrDave said:

So, another expat leaving Phuket.  Right?

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

Yes, but in my case more of a "pull" from my home country as opposed to a "push" from Phuket. 

Such is life. People come and go. Good luck elsewhere, enjoy.

Edited by stevenl

Was back in Europa in 2015 for 2 weeks after a nearly 10 year break. Felt like an actor in the walking death. Came back to my crazy pirate island hkt and was so happy to go on to enjoy real life on hkt and in SEA.

Now i do every year a walking death trip and never had again a hkt blues. Here what goes around comes around.

There if you smile too much they put you into mental health clinic.

Edited by schlog

3 hours ago, schlog said:

Was back in Europa in 2015 for 2 weeks after a nearly 10 year break. Felt like an actor in the walking death. Came back to my crazy pirate island hkt and was so happy to go on to enjoy real life on hkt and in SEA.

Now i do every year a walking death trip and never had again a hkt blues. Here what goes around comes around.

There if you smile too much they put you into mental health clinic.

Yes Schlog I think that's the key (for me anyway) because every time I have travelled out of Patong/Phuket I have enjoyed returning to the place.

I do like going back to New Zealand to catch up with folks I know and to visit old haunts, however after about 2 to 3 weeks I am ready to get back to Patong and am really looking forward to it.

Despite all of the moaning that I (and others) do about the place, it does have that certain draw to it, whether it be the sheer craziness and sometimes stupidity of certain sections of the population or even the government, or the fact that it can sometimes feel like a "crazy pirate island". Having said that the sheer scale of the corruption I do find hard to put up with, but I have MY life to live and I can't change it, so I ignore it whenever I can.

In summary, for me, getting away from Patong/Phuket for a while is the cure for becoming tired of it.

I was last in Patong one year ago and I couldn't wait to leave. It had become dirtier, more crowded and  more unpleasant than the last time I was there.  A 900 baht taxi ride into Patong from  a crowded airport and the joys of gridlock of traffic.   Oh yes, I know, goodbye and good riddance is the refrain that I will hear. That's ok. We are all free to pick and choose as we wish and the best  decision I made was to leave and not look back.

I certainly have no desire to live in, let alone vacation in a place with traffic jams at all hours, with angry stressed out people and a cost of living 25%+ higher than much of the rest of the country. Water shortages, and when there is water, inadequate pressure, lousy staff at even the supposedly higher end establishments because of a high turnover rate of staff,  and  a pervasive lack of quality were the distinguishing features of many of my expensive meals and services purchased. The very evident large number of unpleasant ill mannered tourists was another distinguishing feature. And of course the presence of  almost 90 technically illegal jet skis parked  at Patong beach along with the large number of parasail operations  monopolizing the beach. Patong truly is a destination that illustrates everything bad about tourism in Thailand.

There is a reason why so many of the talented young physicians and other professionals that Phuket needs do not stick around and seek opportunities elsewhere.  You may not see it, but the day you need a trauma surgeon or advanced cardiac care and there isn't anyone good on call, you'll get the point. These people want to raise their families in a safe positive environment and Phuket is no longer the place  to do so.  The government promised to attack and to crush corruption. There was supposed to be a cleanup of the transport thugs, an end to the illegal commercial practices at the beaches, an end to beach encroachment, criminal charges against the corrupt officials.  I am still waiting for that to occur.

And therein lies the reason why so many quality people have left. And as they leave or in the case of others who have died or who have suffered the  incapacities of age, they have not been replaced by people who care enough to comment in a forum. It's not just the forum which has shown this loss, but my understanding is that the charities which long depended upon the presence of socially responsible caring foreigners are suffering too. When caring responsible people leave, they aren't around to  support the social causes and to donate to the charities which helped locals.  Phuket, especially Patong is the Gomorrah to Pattaya's Sodom.

And no the  door did not hit me on the way out. Rather, I had one last flush of my toilet before leaving and left a chunky gift to the city of Patong. I expect it eventually found itself out into the bay where foreigners were free to experience my donation to the local culture. I was relieved  to get off my plane and into the relative madness of  Bangkok airport safe in the knowledge that I was in the civilized world once again.

On 22/04/2017 at 0:18 PM, xylophone said:

I'm not sure where all this is going with regards to Phuket transport and baht buses in Pattaya, however for the record I think the baht buses in Pattaya are a good idea and an easy way to get round for locals and tourists alike.

Before Phuket was turned into a sleazy cess pit of sex and drugs, baht buses were how we used to get around.

Come the Tsunami and the so called re building of Patong, that's when it all went pear shaped and the mafias moved in. With the amount of money that was poured into Phuket, they could have had a mass transit system built around the island but preferred corruption, sex and drugs instead.

RIP Phuket.

7 hours ago, Flustered said:

Before Phuket was turned into a sleazy cess pit of sex and drugs, baht buses were how we used to get around.

Songtews and buses still run. Since when is complete Phuket a cess pit of sex and drugs? Totally nonsense.

Best solution for Patong is the old way like in the early 90'. TukTuks driving a fix route in songtew style. Before the price was 10 baht for 1 Patong round in 92' so take now 40 baht and all are happy.

On 27/04/2017 at 3:20 AM, DrDave said:

Yes, but in my case more of a "pull" from my home country as opposed to a "push" from Phuket. 

Ok, but it appears the "pull" away from Phuket doesn't have to be as big as it used to be, which, in itself, has become a "push." 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:41 AM, Old Croc said:

Some of us old guys, instead of falling off our pot (?)  are just sick of the off-Island trolls banging on with the same old tired rubbish, seemingly with impunity..

On the contrary, former long term residents of Phuket like myself are very well placed to provided comment in the wake of a recent visit.

We no longer sit in the pot as it is slowly being brought to the boil.

Our insights are based on reality.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

54 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Oh...I noticed that the Mcdonald's on Chaofa West now has a drive through.  What a lovely cultural enhancement for Phuket.

The one just past Central on the bypass ? I use it often ... a great enhancement ...

3 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

On the contrary, former long term residents of Phuket like myself are very well placed to provided comment in the wake of a recent visit.

We no longer sit in the pot as it is slowly being brought to the boil.

Our insights are based on reality.

You may think they're insights, many others here consider you to be banging on with the same old tired rubbish.

Having lived here for many years doesn't necessarily make you a guru. Some might wonder why you were so thick as to live for so long, in a place you dislike so much. Or why you write troll posts about it every time you return to avail yourself of facilities you don't have in you jungle hideaway in Khao Lak.

Whatever you think of the McDonalds franchise there are about 35,000 restaurants in most countries around the world. Thailand has about 200, and plans to double that number. Why you would single out one in Phuket to try to denigrate this province could only be considered trollish.

Perhaps you had another one of your riveting dramas while sitting in the queue waiting for your happy meal?

3 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Oh...I noticed that the Mcdonald's on Chaofa West now has a drive through.  What a lovely cultural enhancement for Phuket.

Not only did you get the location name wrong, but, you don't seem to know that McDonalds has been here for at least twenty years now.

Maybe just confine yourself to commenting on the Khao Lak branch of McDonalds (yes, they have one there, too, you hypocrite)

Edited by KarenBravo

7 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

What a ridiculous post above.

I guess it just goes to show you don't know as much as you think you do about Phuket or Khao Lak.

24 minutes ago, beechbum said:

What a ridiculous post above.

I guess it just goes to show you don't know as much as you think you do about Phuket or Khao Lak.

Yep- there's at least one other he doesn't know about on the island! 

On 08/05/2017 at 4:10 PM, Old Croc said:

You may think they're insights, many others here consider you to be banging on with the same old tired rubbish.

Having lived here for many years doesn't necessarily make you a guru. Some might wonder why you were so thick as to live for so long, in a place you dislike so much. Or why you write troll posts about it every time you return to avail yourself of facilities you don't have in you jungle hideaway in Khao Lak.

Whatever you think of the McDonalds franchise there are about 35,000 restaurants in most countries around the world. Thailand has about 200, and plans to double that number. Why you would single out one in Phuket to try to denigrate this province could only be considered trollish.

Perhaps you had another one of your riveting dramas while sitting in the queue waiting for your happy meal?

"Having lived here for many years doesn't necessarily make you a guru." - I agree, but is it possible living here for many years can make one "a boiling frog?" Particularly if the individual have a property and/or a business here.

"Some might wonder why you were so thick as to live for so long, in a place you dislike so much." - I doubt people stay in a place they do not like, from the start.  Obviously, they change, or their environment changes, or both.  I see no problem with regularly assessing both.

It's pretty obvious to those living here that Phuket has changed a lot in recent times.  Question is, has this change been positive, or negative?

46 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"Having lived here for many years doesn't necessarily make you a guru." - I agree, but is it possible living here for many years can make one "a boiling frog?" Particularly if the individual have a property and/or a business here.

"Some might wonder why you were so thick as to live for so long, in a place you dislike so much." - I doubt people stay in a place they do not like, from the start.  Obviously, they change, or their environment changes, or both.  I see no problem with regularly assessing both.

It's pretty obvious to those living here that Phuket has changed a lot in recent times.  Question is, has this change been positive, or negative?

Property or business ownership aside, some frogs, due to mobility related issues, lack of Thai language skills, and reliance upon their Thai partners, are not able to climb out of the pot.

More over, some of these frogs spent much of their working lives in the mundanity of a public service job, and are thus ill equipped to think proactively, innovate, or initiate change.

As the temperature in the pot becomes unbearable, these tortured frogs become bitter and resentful, and then post misinformed vitriol in a pathetic attempt to distract themselves from the horrid reality of their predicament.

41 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

<snip>

Sure has changed a lot. Some things positive like access to malls offering us Farangs what we expect. A lot negative like pollution (and not just sewage), over building (and we contributed to that), no longer the 'fabled' land of smiles, more like land of scams.   

2 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Property or business ownership aside, some frogs, due to mobility related issues, lack of Thai language skills, and reliance upon their Thai partners, are not able to climb out of the pot.

More over, some of these frogs spent much of their working lives in the mundanity of a public service job, and are thus ill equipped to think proactively, innovate, or initiate change.

As the temperature in the pot becomes unbearable, these tortured frogs become bitter and resentful, and then post misinformed vitriol in a pathetic attempt to distract themselves from the horrid reality of their predicament.

Spot on.

You have hit the nail smack bang on the head with this post.

It appears though that only small handful of these aptly named boiling frogs are left now,and they frequently appear and post exactly as you say here.

Possibly that there are a few more looking on but too embarrassed to comment further.

On 15/05/2017 at 11:49 PM, LivinginKata said:

Sure has changed a lot. Some things positive like access to malls offering us Farangs what we expect. A lot negative like pollution (and not just sewage), over building (and we contributed to that), no longer the 'fabled' land of smiles, more like land of scams.   

So, LIK, which do you think has been greater, the positive or negative changes here? 

I would just add that such change should be viewed in entirety.  Eg. it's great to have "malls" but what about the 1 hour stuck in traffic to get to the mall? 

Edited by NamKangMan