Driving to Hanoi

junglechef

Anyone drove from Chiang Mai to Hanoi? 

According to Google Maps it's a 24 hr drive crossing into Laos at Nong Khai going thru Vientiane and then crossing into Vietnam at the Nam Phao International Checkpoint.

My search results found that I can get permission to drive my vehicle into Vietnam ahead of time.

I have previously driven into Laos.

Wonder if there could be an issue driving a car across the border with a third countries license plates (Thai) from Laos to Vietnam and back.

Thanks for the responses.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

I agree with Khwaibah, a Thai registered vehicle is not allowed into Vietnam. Although i understand some motorbike tours (guided) are allowed. Such a shame as the mountains and countryside there is far more beautiful than Thailand. 

I am recently back from a 10,000 + km ride around the country, a wonderful trip. I do hope one day we can enter in Thai registered vehicles!

1 hour ago, mesquite said:

Not to mention they drive on the right side of the road in vn so your Thai car has the steering wheel on the wrong side.

I drive my car withe the steering on the "wrong" side in Laos, small things are not an obstacle for me

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

I agree with Khwaibah, a Thai registered vehicle is not allowed into Vietnam. Although i understand some motorbike tours (guided) are allowed. Such a shame as the mountains and countryside there is far more beautiful than Thailand. 

I am recently back from a 10,000 + km ride around the country, a wonderful trip. I do hope one day we can enter in Thai registered vehicles!

Did you ride a bicycle or motorbike? 

Pretty long journey to cycle!!

I ask as I'm going to cycle and thought it would add to the adventure to drive there instead of flying with my bicycle.

4 minutes ago, junglechef said:

My GF looked it up on many Thai forums and people wrote they have done it, perhaps a caravan situation, but she got the details on asking permission from the Vietnamese government so it seems like it might be possible. 

It would be as part of an organised tour, i know some motorbike companies are offering trips. Br great if you could do independently 

Edited by chrissables

1 minute ago, junglechef said:

Did you ride a bicycle or motorbike? 

Pretty long journey to cycle!!

I ask as I'm going to cycle and thought it would add to the adventure to drive there instead of flying with my bicycle.

Motorbike :) Flew to Saigon, bought a bike and sold at the end of the trip.

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

I would as part of an organised tour, i know some motorbike companies are offering trips. Br great if you could do independently 

Yeah I like the freedom too.

I drove my van to Phnom Pen from Chiang Mai last year with my family and we took bicycles. 

Also done Laos and Burma is open too so will drive there too in the future. 

Yeah I like the freedom too.

I drove my van to Phnom Pen from Chiang Mai last year with my family and we took bicycles. 

Also done Laos and Burma is open too so will drive there too in the future. 

You can drive / ride in Burma? I thought you must have a guide?

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

You can drive / ride in Burma? I thought you must have a guide?

Be be honest I haven't driven across the border but as I understand you can in some places but heard some of the roads are one way on certain day and with sketchy road conditions etc. 

Quite a few years ago when it was still pretty closed I got myself a motorbike and rode in many off-limit places, back in my adventurous youth. 

Actually on my trip to Cambodia last year one is not suppose to drive out of the provence on enters in but I drove all over the country but exited where I came in as they were holding my Blue Book there. 

I know the guide thing applies to China, that's why I haven't driven there yet but still would like to.

1 minute ago, junglechef said:

Be be honest I haven't driven across the border but as I understand you can in some places but heard some of the roads are one way on certain day and with sketchy road conditions etc. 

Quite a few years ago when it was still pretty closed I got myself a motorbike and rode in many off-limit places, back in my adventurous youth. 

Actually on my trip to Cambodia last year one is not suppose to drive out of the provence on enters in but I drove all over the country but exited where I came in as they were holding my Blue Book there. 

I know the guide thing applies to China, that's why I haven't driven there yet but still would like to.

I have crossed into Burma by motorbike, but just over the border, also i have walked over and nosed around. But to actually go in and tour i have been told you must pay a guide $300 a day + expenses! Crazy!

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I have crossed into Burma by motorbike, but just over the border, also i have walked over and nosed around. But to actually go in and tour i have been told you must pay a guide $300 a day + expenses! Crazy!

I was deep in Burma where I rented a driver and bike and told him he wasn't needed. Happily he just gave me his bike as it freed him up to go earn a day wage.

Last time I mountain biked across the border near Chiang Dao I was chased by the military, luckily the Thai army!

I've once jumped a cargo boat across the Mekong with my bicycle and entered Laos illegally only because I didn't know where the ferry was. 

Anyway I think one would be able to do a self-guided tour in Burma these days but I haven't looked into it or just tried.

Every once in a while people get into Vietnam without guides.. Theres a fixer in Hanoi who can sometimes get it done and random attempts sometimes work. Theres also the not legal but possible route through Pho Quoc special zone. Bikes seem to have a higher strike rate than cars. 

Burma still needs a burmese tour guide system but is becoming much more open. Multiple Thai registered groups go all the time now. 

I was deep in Burma where I rented a driver and bike and told him he wasn't needed. Happily he just gave me his bike as it freed him up to go earn a day wage.

Last time I mountain biked across the border near Chiang Dao I was chased by the military, luckily the Thai army!

I've once jumped a cargo boat across the Mekong with my bicycle and entered Laos illegally only because I didn't know where the ferry was. 

Anyway I think one would be able to do a self-guided tour in Burma these days but I haven't looked into it or just tried.

Yes maybe if you crossed and then hired a bike. But to take you own i think not. 

Near Mai Sai i was stood on the border taking photo's, i was made to move dam quick by the Burmese Army. Funny i was explaining i was in Thailand......... but they were not happy at all.

Not sure what kind of bike your talking about. 

I've ridden a bicycle into Burma at Mae Sai border check point.

When I crossed from Chaing Dao I was just on single track (small path) 

I've looked into driving my car into Burma and it seemed possible. 

I did have a guide when I once went for a month but after a while I sent her on her way and just traveled by myself.

4 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

...   because you just flatten them, or what do you mean? 

The Bigger Rule, the bigger you are ....

No I mean driving with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car as everyone else does not bother me but one must be alert when entering a roundabout! 

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

If you did 10K Km on a motorcycle then you are lucky to be alive!

15 minutes ago, junglechef said:

The Bigger Rule, the bigger you are ....

No I mean driving with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car as everyone else does not bother me but one must be alert when entering a roundabout! 

... know what you meant, just kidding, couldn't resist ...

37 minutes ago, elektrified said:

If you did 10K Km on a motorcycle then you are lucky to be alive!

Far safer there than Thailand, although at first it seems worse. But in reality in trafic they go around you, in Thailand over or through you! 

I did it with a  Thai registered 4WD in June 2008 and it took a lot of paperwork for the Vietnamese authorities to issue a "laissez passer". I drove from Chiang Khong, Huay Xay, Luang Namtha, Oudomxay, Muang Khoa, Tay Trang into Dien Bien Phu.

It requires an ASEAN driving license (i.e. a Thai license will do); the car has to be in the name of the driver with original papers (no financed car nor company car) and you have to be back in Thailand within one month; the Thais do not allow a Thai registered car being outside of Thailand for more than one month. Latter - don't ask me why but that's how it is - I know it does not make sense.

While the roads have improved drastically over the last nine years it is to be said, that flying in/out of Vietnam and getting your own transportation organized while there is cheaper, more efficient and rids you of all this tedious paperwork. 

14 hours ago, mesquite said:

Not to mention they drive on the right side of the road in vn so your Thai car has the steering wheel on the wrong side.

ARE you for real ? Thais spend most of their time driving on the right or the middle  

British drivers can drive on the right safely anywhere in the world so whats the problem in Vietnam ????   

5 hours ago, bellhui1b said:

ARE you for real ? Thais spend most of their time driving on the right or the middle  

British drivers can drive on the right safely anywhere in the world so whats the problem in Vietnam ????   

Read the entire post and try again.