why do they do this

zoza

On 1/27/2017 at 8:10 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I remember having a Happy Hour beer at the first bar you come to on Soi Nana. A sign said it only applied to Thai beers but I was okay with that. Had a Singha draft for 60 baht, when finished handed over a 50 and a 20 and was told it wasn't enough. The beer was 100. Pointed to their sign and was told it only applied to bottled beer, Nowhere in the bar did it say that. I'd been a regular customer up until then and haven't been back since. Singha isn't a Thai beer? Jeeesus. How can you ever understand these people.

BB ...  If you have been a regular customer I would have thought one would know the prices and what is included. 

However, also ... you know in thailand it's best to ask all questions about what your getting before you order ....  as in ... is it 60 baht for a Singha draft, at this time ?  and how big is the glass ... etc ....   then when you have covered all your bases,  order the beer. 

:smile:

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

BB ...  If you have been a regular customer I would have thought one would know the prices and what is included. 

However, also ... you know in thailand it's best to ask all questions about what your getting before you order ....  as in ... is it 60 baht for a Singha draft, at this time ?  and how big is the glass ... etc ....   then when you have covered all your bases,  order the beer. 

:smile:

Well, I wasn't a regular at HH. And yes, silly of me to assume that Singha beer in a can was considered a Thai beer but in a glass it wasn't. 25 years here and I still get caught out by Thainess.:sad:

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, I wasn't a regular at HH. And yes, silly of me to assume that Singha beer in a can was considered a Thai beer but in a glass it wasn't. 25 years here and I still get caught out by Thainess.:sad:

These everyday illogical situations are thrown in just to keep us on our toes.

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

These everyday illogical situations are thrown in just to keep us on our toes.

its like my mate who is on holiday here he laughed when the electrician from last week was painting the wall on Thursday, and I know it happens all over the world but I thought the title

THAI-VISA  might of been a bit of a clue.

Defender of the Thais. Such a noble cause, get back to me in a few years. I too once was able to see everything through "Rose Colored Glasses" . Then one day the spell was broken.

Rose coloured glasses are much better than your dark ones though.

sent using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, MANFROMBOCA said:

REALLY ?????? becasue someone gives you coin so you can tip a small amount you dont gibe anything ,, WOW

Yes its up to me to give a tip and not be obliged to leave the coins.

So if you got 300 baht in coins for your change you would be happy?

On 1/27/2017 at 10:17 AM, Suradit69 said:

And the day someone can figure out why so many farang get their knickers in a knot about the most trivial things will indeed be a day to circle on your calendar.

Pettiness aside, if you had a similar problem in a bar in UK, USA or Australia, would you immediately ask why all Brits or Americans or Australians employ a logic that befuddles you? 

:clap2:

When I go to the driving range I tip the ball chappy, the waiter and give him a tip to give to the cook. I think that I get an extra shrimp in my fried rice for that. I don't tip the cleaner but I may do one day, its only 20baht. I gave a lady selling lake balls a bag of pork skin one day becuase I didn't need any balls, she always wais me now when I pass and we exchange a few niceties. I get the guest rate at the golf course, I give whoever serves me 50Bt tip although they consult the computer to see what to charge me, so it seems official, the manager knows that I give a tip. I think that tips are a nice thing to be able to do with normal working people, it is called "buying heart" in Thai.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I hardly ever tip these days in Thailand because the whoe country is geared up to extract baht from the foreigner at every opportunity.. you've gotta keep your head above water

A lady hands you a beer.. and farangs automatically tip. where's the exceptional service in that?

Have a nice meal and the "service tax" appears on the receipt.. most farangs automatically tip. lol why? 

If the taxi driver is a nice fella and is talking to me i'll give him a small tip

I hardly ever tip these days in Thailand because the whoe country is geared up to extract baht from the foreigner at every opportunity.. you've gotta keep your head above water
A lady hands you a beer.. and farangs automatically tip. where's the exceptional service in that?
Have a nice meal and the "service tax" appears on the receipt.. most farangs automatically tip. lol why? 

If the taxi driver is a nice fella and is talking to me i'll give him a small tip

If the taxi driver shuts up and doesn't say a single word.. I will tip

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, stevenl said:

Rose coloured glasses are much better than your dark ones though.

sent using Tapatalk

Says who?   You own the factory or what...   If only they didn't come with that big bulls-eye on the forehead and "ATM" tattoo on the palm.

Seriously, greed got in with a permanent resident visa years back, and hasn't ever left.

'Have to blame the US for the whole tipping thing though.  Here as well as there it's just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff and palm off their responsibility onto hapless - and usually witless - customers.

Says who?   You own the factory or what...   If only they didn't come with that big bulls-eye on the forehead and "ATM" tattoo on the palm.

Seriously, greed got in with a permanent resident visa years back, and hasn't ever left.

'Have to blame the US for the whole tipping thing though.  Here as well as there it's just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff and palm off their responsibility onto hapless - and usually witless - customers.

Well, you quote me so it seems fairly obvious who says that. Looking at life positively is much nicer than seeing bears and trapdoors everywhere.

sent using Tapatalk

On 1/28/2017 at 3:21 AM, Rc2702 said:

Service good. Leave a tip.

Service bad. Leave to never return.

Take out meals we never tip but we use regularly.

Car wash - I am advised not to tip

Haircut - I tip well.

Taxi - good or bad I never tip unless it's less than 10 baht change owed or the guys a star. Very rare.

Hotel tip box - never

My local shop in complex  for my 1 bottle of Leo each night -5 baht. He's a young boy needs a tip I think. 

All my 10 baht coins stacked up in  2 pringles containers. All lower denominations in 3 pringles containers. Aprox 3 months.

I am told that's about 4500 baht so I don't feel too bad about tipping for tippings sake anymore.

A friendly caution: I think you eat more Pringles than is good for you. Seek help.

T

Depends on my mood….dont mind leaving 20b on the plate for nice servers….but when they think it is their right, then I take great pleasure in slowly picking up every last satang from the tray. One sarcastically asked what you do with coin….I said for hong naam….which is true.

I suppose I should complain for paying 1,500 baht on top of the normal fee of 1,900 baht for the immigration officers to come to our place of residence so I could get my 1st extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, even though it is not advertised on the board, I believe its called tea money.

I suppose I should complain that DoHome charged me 127 baht on my Mastercard savings account on top of the 16,000 baht I just spent in their store when I am using my won money, i.e. not a credit card.

If your not getting your tea money back and it urkes you, I would suggest a better way than to vent as opposed to putting Thai's down (in a way) would be to have some loose coins with you if your not with your wife, or do what I do if you are with your wife, i.e. always allow the wife to pay, that way if anyone is going to short change anyone, they will get a mouth full as my wife as she is as tight as a fishes a$$hole.

I can appreciate you have tipped them in the past and you want to be able to make the decision as opposed to being short changed, sure that would urke me too, but living here has made me realise that I am a millionaire more times over than most Thai's, so if its 20-30 baht let them have it, put your principals aside as they are far and few between here, and the only person getting urked here is you, I won't call you a cheap Charlie as I can relate to what you are saying, but you have to realise where you are more often and adapt, most here have never had the opportunies we have had back home, so if they fleece you for 20-30 baht, just smile, its not going to break your bank account, and perhaps if it does urke you and you can't let go of the principal/s (not easy), perhaps change venues and have loose coins with you.

I saw a lady laying down in front of a 7/11 store the other day on some cardboard, sun was out, bloody hot, silver cup in front of her, small old suitcase next to her, about 70 years old, I dropped a 100 baht in her cup, it made me feel slightly better, at least she could get a meal, and no she wasn't a regular and doesn't own the mansion around the corner as some fleecesters do, just down on her luck I suppose, I don't know if there are shelters or mechanisms that Thai's would have in place for people such as her, what I am trying to say is Thai's in general IMO are far worse off than us, just got to Isaan if you haven't been out of the touristy areas, your waitress probably is and see's you as not requiring your small change because you always tip and your tip is helping her along her way as small as it is, remember, in the eyes of a Thai, all faranga are rich, but on the other hand you not getting your change small back is peeing you off because of your principal/s, which as I said before and will say again, I understand, but I was raised in the west, Thai's are not accustomed to what we are used to, although they try or do their best to understand, they don't, its smiles all around (no idea), and I could say that this could apply to you when reversing the situation, if your prepared to step out of your shoes for a minute and digest what I have just said.

Perhaps its now time for you to change your generous guy attitute and say, you know what, I am not going to tip anymore, nothing wrong with that, and no need to feel guilty if you don't, because as soon as you throw some piece of bread in the water, more and more fish will keep coming, but you may not have enough bread to feed them all, or you can say, you know what, I am going to feed the fish today.

"Up to you" as the Thai's say 555

I filled her up at my usual petrol station, meter showed 1520 and the lady running the pump told 1620 and this in Thai at my wife in the passenger seat.
I am always fully awaken at petrol stations, so was my wife, they did not get away with it.
No doubt this was intentional.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/4/2017 at 7:12 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose I should complain for paying 1,500 baht on top of the normal fee of 1,900 baht for the immigration officers to come to our place of residence so I could get my 1st extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, even though it is not advertised on the board, I believe its called tea money.

I suppose I should complain that DoHome charged me 127 baht on my Mastercard savings account on top of the 16,000 baht I just spent in their store when I am using my won money, i.e. not a credit card.

If your not getting your tea money back and it urkes you, I would suggest a better way than to vent as opposed to putting Thai's down (in a way) would be to have some loose coins with you if your not with your wife, or do what I do if you are with your wife, i.e. always allow the wife to pay, that way if anyone is going to short change anyone, they will get a mouth full as my wife as she is as tight as a fishes a$$hole.

I can appreciate you have tipped them in the past and you want to be able to make the decision as opposed to being short changed, sure that would urke me too, but living here has made me realise that I am a millionaire more times over than most Thai's, so if its 20-30 baht let them have it, put your principals aside as they are far and few between here, and the only person getting urked here is you, I won't call you a cheap Charlie as I can relate to what you are saying, but you have to realise where you are more often and adapt, most here have never had the opportunies we have had back home, so if they fleece you for 20-30 baht, just smile, its not going to break your bank account, and perhaps if it does urke you and you can't let go of the principal/s (not easy), perhaps change venues and have loose coins with you.

I saw a lady laying down in front of a 7/11 store the other day on some cardboard, sun was out, bloody hot, silver cup in front of her, small old suitcase next to her, about 70 years old, I dropped a 100 baht in her cup, it made me feel slightly better, at least she could get a meal, and no she wasn't a regular and doesn't own the mansion around the corner as some fleecesters do, just down on her luck I suppose, I don't know if there are shelters or mechanisms that Thai's would have in place for people such as her, what I am trying to say is Thai's in general IMO are far worse off than us, just got to Isaan if you haven't been out of the touristy areas, your waitress probably is and see's you as not requiring your small change because you always tip and your tip is helping her along her way as small as it is, remember, in the eyes of a Thai, all faranga are rich, but on the other hand you not getting your change small back is peeing you off because of your principal/s, which as I said before and will say again, I understand, but I was raised in the west, Thai's are not accustomed to what we are used to, although they try or do their best to understand, they don't, its smiles all around (no idea), and I could say that this could apply to you when reversing the situation, if your prepared to step out of your shoes for a minute and digest what I have just said.

Perhaps its now time for you to change your generous guy attitute and say, you know what, I am not going to tip anymore, nothing wrong with that, and no need to feel guilty if you don't, because as soon as you throw some piece of bread in the water, more and more fish will keep coming, but you may not have enough bread to feed them all, or you can say, you know what, I am going to feed the fish today.

"Up to you" as the Thai's say 555 notfr

When I went to the Local Amphur office many years ago to register my marriage to my Thai Wife. The Official there asked me for a fee. Back in 2003 the paperwork from my Embassy stated that there was no fee for marriage. As we were doing the paperwork the official began quizzing my wife about if I was working. She unknowingly not realizing that a Farang needed a work permit started to tell him about our Factory. Being that I had a fairly good grasp of the Thai language  I interjected that we had not finished all of our Ek A- San. And that my work permit was being processed. When everything was finished and he handed us the lovely beautifully decorated Marriage certificates. (one for wife and one for husband) . When I gave him his requested fee I told him here is your "Tip". I could tell by his reaction he go the point! 

It is part of "Thainess". You are expected to pay a huge premium to exist and if you don't they call you bird shit farang. All goes back to Americans importing the tipping culture. I have confirmed this for sure Japanese NEVER tip and are treated with more respect in all areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2017 at 9:17 PM, duanebigsby said:

I would have just payed the money, realized  the subtleties of English got the better of them. I would then  help them change  the sign

They knew Singha is Thai, but they screwed up the bottle/draft thing. Relax..

You have been canonized. Saint Duane of Nana.  

Thai people always check their change and I've never seen one give a tip; it's not part of Thai culture. You are given a price, and if you accept it, that's what you pay. I'm sure Thai people think that westerners are pretty dumb, wanting to pay more than they have to for anything. Unfortunately, if you use the same place regularly and they get used to you paying more than you're asked for, they'll just up the price, or simply take the tip as a matter of course because they know you're going to give it to them anyway. In my own experience, tipping is not a good idea in Thailand, and it's only expected because westerners do it. Perhaps western customs should remain in the west!

It is part of "Thainess". You are expected to pay a huge premium to exist and if you don't they call you bird shit farang. All goes back to Americans importing the tipping culture. I have confirmed this for sure Japanese NEVER tip and are treated with more respect in all areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a westerner living in an area where the expats are primarily Japanese and this just has not been my experience.

On 27/01/2017 at 11:12 AM, ezzra said:

The day anyone will figure out the rhyme and reasons of Thai logics and sense, I would like them to share with all of us, Thai ways of doing things is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.... 

Yes

On 1/27/2017 at 7:12 AM, ezzra said:

The day anyone will figure out the rhyme and reasons of Thai logic's and sense, I would like them to share with all of us, Thai ways of doing things is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.... 

Nah !!  it's easily explained over few beers.  :biggrin:

Seem a lot of people love to moan about how Americans spend money tipping.

That's fine, but I've eaten in a lot of countries, and the speed, quality and consistency of the service I get in the US far and away exceeds the service II get anywhere else I have been.

Live, love, laugh