US ‘sanctuary’ cities face funding cuts if migrant-tolerant policies continue

webfact

US ‘sanctuary’ cities face funding cuts if migrant-tolerant policies continue

Robert Hackwill

606x341_356107.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Donald Trump’s new Mexican border policy looks something like this; hire 5000 new guards, close the frontier, and suffocate the cities offering sanctuary status to illegal migrants.

Sanctuary facilities began to be made available in several churches in the 1980s for migrants fleeing central America’s savage conflicts who failed to obtain asylum. The large town of Cambridge in Massachusetts is one of these sanctuary cities. Local officials insist it will remain so.

“We reaffirmed in November that we would remain a Sanctuary City, a safe harbor for those that choose Cambridge to be where they want to reside as they find this pathway to citizenship,” says the Democrat Mayor Denise Simmons.

The common policy shared between these 200 places? None of the municipal services will report illegals to the US Immigration service.

Eleven million people find themselves in this situation, making up a significant percentage of America’s urban population.

Sanctuary cities also refuse to jail people on the demand of the Federal Immigration service, or they release detained illegals if immigration can’t respect the extradition time-frame. And the US Constitution gives them a powerful defence.

One invoked on Wednesday by the Mayor of Seattle.

“The Fourth Amendment makes it clear that all arrests and detention must be supported by probable cause and that our local police department cannot be forced into enforcing federal immigration laws. We will not as we did in World War II allow our police to become deputies of the federal government and round up immigrants in this city,” warned Democrat Mayor Ed Murray.

New York gets 10,4 billion dollars in federal aid, but a budget paradox means the share destined for the police is the easiest to cut. And that could be what happens says the mayor, if the White House decides to punish the safe havens by stripping their aid budgets.

“This executive order could in fact undermine public safety and make our neighborhoods less safe. Firstly because this executive order could undermine the relationship between our police department and our communities which has been the foundation of our ability to drive down crime. We will not deport law-abiding New Yorkers. We will not tear families apart,” said Democrat Mayor Bill de Blasio.

But that has already happened to José. He’s was sent back to Tijuana on Wednesday while his wife and children will stay on the other side of the wall. He swears he will climb it to return to them.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-27

What this president does not seem to understand, is that you cannot begin to fix the illegal immigration issues, until you address the legal immigration issues. The present immigration system is completely broken. Nuclear scientists, who are amongst some of the brightest brightest minds on the planet, cannot get a visa to work for major corporations in the US. The quota system is completely outdated, and broken, and ridiculous. It must be revised completely, to adapt to these modern times. Do we want the best and the brightest or do we want to become a nation of dishwashers and landscapers? That is the question Trump and his team should be addressing. Since the beginning of the nation, the US has been blessed with millions of immigrants, who have created the dynamic national economy. Moving forward, there are thousands of companies who need immigrant labor, to perform the jobs most Americans do not want to have anything to do with. How many American laborers pick grapes, or apples, or work in slaughterhouses, or clean dishes, these days. Very few. Trump had better tread carefully with this issue. It is a serious and important issue, that could either cause the US to become a considerably lesser force within the world economy, or the other way around. 

As far as sanctuary cities go, I applaud them. The prevention of more federal governmental interference is a great thing. It goes hand in hand with the libertarian spirit. The sanctuary city thing is so misunderstood, and like so many issues, it has been dumbed down by this simplistic man, and made into a war of words. Most local police departments are adamantly refusing to cooperate with the feds with regard to this issue. For very good reasons. 

Immigrant communities in Philadelphia were already traumatized by the workplace raids that were a hallmark of George W. Bush’s presidency. But starting in 2007, they witnessed a whole new phenomenon — immigration agents showing up at their homes.

Rev. Aldo Siahaan remembers how terrified the immigrants in his congregation were by the prospect of deportation raids reaching their doorsteps. A wave of Christian Indonesians had settled in Philadelphia after fleeing religious persecution in the Islamic-majority country. But not all who came to the U.S. were granted asylum. Failed visa applications meant federal authorities had their home address on file. Siahaan, who moved from Indonesia in the early 1990s, now runs a church converted from an old dance club in South Philly. It seemed as if every week someone in the community had ICE agents knocking on their door. Twice, federal agents banged on Siahaan’s front door in the early hours of the morning and shoved a photo in his face, asking if he knew the person with a final order of deportation on their head. What's more, the nominee, who touts himself as the "law and order candidate," overlooks the fact that many police departments have advocated for sanctuary laws. But after Kate Steinle was shot dead along the San Francisco pier, the phrase “sanctuary cities” was co-opted and weaponized. Sanctuary cities were made to embody the injustices that fall upon Americans out of a perceived laissez-faire approach to immigration enforcement. It’s a view, judging from Trump’s candidacy, that has resonated.

Before meeting Trump, Durden tried seeking justice for her son Dominic’s death by appearing at meetings with Moms Against Drunk Driving, or MADD. She tried the traditional routes. She flew to Washington, D.C., three years earlier feeling like Superwoman, certain that the congressional committee would be so moved by her tragic story that she would become an overnight changemaker. A grieving mother sniffling back tears, she begged members of Congress to not let any other mother endure her same tragedy. She tugged at a locket clasped around her neck and displayed it to the panel of lawmakers. Inside were the ashes of her dead son that she kept with her always. Durden half-expected a gaggle of reporters to swarm her with questions after the hearing. But none approached her. She later scoured the Internet for news clippings written up of her testimony, and didn’t find a single article. Her bitter disappointment was night and day to the red carpet treatment she received after the first time she met Trump. “It helps me with the pain and the grief,” she says. “I had a choice of killing myself and not saying another word. But instead I found my voice. I’m changed. I now have a sense of accomplishment.”

Right on Trump.Make the liberals pay for their stupidity. Can you imagine what would happen here if Pattaya declared itself a "Sanctuary City" ?

Pattaya is already a sanctuary city for the losers, criminals, and assorted other scumbags fleeing their lives in the west.

Happy Trails

Miami-Dade mayor orders jails to comply with Trump crackdown on ‘sanctuary’ counties

Fearing a loss of millions of dollars for defying immigration authorities, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez on Thursday ordered county jails to comply with federal immigration detention requests — effectively gutting the county’s position as a “sanctuary” for immigrants in the country illegally.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article128984759.html

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

What this president does not seem to understand, is that you cannot begin to fix the illegal immigration issues, until you address the legal immigration issues. The present immigration system is completely broken. Nuclear scientists, who are amongst some of the brightest brightest minds on the planet, cannot get a visa to work for major corporations in the US. The quota system is completely outdated, and broken, and ridiculous. It must be revised completely, to adapt to these modern times. Do we want the best and the brightest or do we want to become a nation of dishwashers and landscapers? That is the question Trump and his team should be addressing. Since the beginning of the nation, the US has been blessed with millions of immigrants, who have created the dynamic national economy. Moving forward, there are thousands of companies who need immigrant labor, to perform the jobs most Americans do not want to have anything to do with. How many American laborers pick grapes, or apples, or work in slaughterhouses, or clean dishes, these days. Very few. Trump had better tread carefully with this issue. It is a serious and important issue, that could either cause the US to become a considerably lesser force within the world economy, or the other way around. 

As far as sanctuary cities go, I applaud them. The prevention of more federal governmental interference is a great thing. It goes hand in hand with the libertarian spirit. The sanctuary city thing is so misunderstood, and like so many issues, it has been dumbed down by this simplistic man, and made into a war of words. Most local police departments are adamantly refusing to cooperate with the feds with regard to this issue. For very good reasons. 

Immigrant communities in Philadelphia were already traumatized by the workplace raids that were a hallmark of George W. Bush’s presidency. But starting in 2007, they witnessed a whole new phenomenon — immigration agents showing up at their homes.

Rev. Aldo Siahaan remembers how terrified the immigrants in his congregation were by the prospect of deportation raids reaching their doorsteps. A wave of Christian Indonesians had settled in Philadelphia after fleeing religious persecution in the Islamic-majority country. But not all who came to the U.S. were granted asylum. Failed visa applications meant federal authorities had their home address on file. Siahaan, who moved from Indonesia in the early 1990s, now runs a church converted from an old dance club in South Philly. It seemed as if every week someone in the community had ICE agents knocking on their door. Twice, federal agents banged on Siahaan’s front door in the early hours of the morning and shoved a photo in his face, asking if he knew the person with a final order of deportation on their head. What's more, the nominee, who touts himself as the "law and order candidate," overlooks the fact that many police departments have advocated for sanctuary laws. But after Kate Steinle was shot dead along the San Francisco pier, the phrase “sanctuary cities” was co-opted and weaponized. Sanctuary cities were made to embody the injustices that fall upon Americans out of a perceived laissez-faire approach to immigration enforcement. It’s a view, judging from Trump’s candidacy, that has resonated.

Before meeting Trump, Durden tried seeking justice for her son Dominic’s death by appearing at meetings with Moms Against Drunk Driving, or MADD. She tried the traditional routes. She flew to Washington, D.C., three years earlier feeling like Superwoman, certain that the congressional committee would be so moved by her tragic story that she would become an overnight changemaker. A grieving mother sniffling back tears, she begged members of Congress to not let any other mother endure her same tragedy. She tugged at a locket clasped around her neck and displayed it to the panel of lawmakers. Inside were the ashes of her dead son that she kept with her always. Durden half-expected a gaggle of reporters to swarm her with questions after the hearing. But none approached her. She later scoured the Internet for news clippings written up of her testimony, and didn’t find a single article. Her bitter disappointment was night and day to the red carpet treatment she received after the first time she met Trump. “It helps me with the pain and the grief,” she says. “I had a choice of killing myself and not saying another word. But instead I found my voice. I’m changed. I now have a sense of accomplishment.”

The solution to a flawed immigration system isn't illegal immigration.  Imho, Thailand's immigration system is flawed, but are the same people who advocate illegal immigration into the United States also advocating illegal immigration into Thailand, especially those who are expats living in Thailand?

The US has an immigration system.  If citizens and potential migrants think the system needs to be reorganized, then write to Congress and to the White House and suggest changes - but work within the existing laws.

My own Thai wife, at this time, would be unable to qualify for a US K-2/K-3 visa although we have been married for close to 10 years.  Is this unfair?  Yeah, I think so, and it would be a problem if I actually wanted to return to the US.  But would I take my wife to the Mexican border and hire a coyote to smuggle her across into the US illegally?  Absolutely not. It's illegal and I do not condone illegal immigration.  We'd work within the system until we exhaust all avenues.  But entering and living in the US illegally is not an option.  So I support the Trump administration's plans to deport those here illegally and to withhold Federal funding from sanctuary cities. I actually have 'skin in the game', but I don't condone illegal immigration into the country of my birth.  But I do support immigration reform - it's a topic that also needs to be addressed sooner than later. 

Edited by connda

21 minutes ago, connda said:

The solution to a flawed immigration system isn't illegal immigration.  Imho, Thailand's immigration system is flawed, but are the same people who advocate illegal immigration into the United States also advocating illegal immigration into Thailand, especially those who are expats living in Thailand?

The US has an immigration system.  If citizens and potential migrants think the system needs to be reorganized, then write to Congress and to the White House and suggest changes - but work within the existing laws.

My own Thai wife, at this time, would be unable to qualify for a US K-2/K-3 visa although we have been married for close to 10 years.  Is this unfair?  Yeah, I think so, and it would be a problem if I actually wanted to return to the US.  But would I take my wife to the Mexican border and hire a coyote to smuggle her across into the US illegally?  Absolutely not. It's illegal and I do not condone illegal immigration.  We'd work within the system until we exhaust all avenues.  But entering and living in the US illegally is not an option.  So I support the Trump administration's plans to deport those here illegally and to withhold Federal funding from sanctuary cities. I actually have 'skin in the game', but I don't condone illegal immigration into the country of my birth.  But I do support immigration reform - it's a topic that also needs to be addressed sooner than later. 

Precisely. And by not addressing immigration reform, this president is missing the real message. I do not think you can address illegal immigration, without at least addressing the ways the system can be fixed. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/immigration-data-charts-reform-illegal-2013-1?op=1/#quests-for-evidence-which-delay-the-l-1b-application-process-have-also-become-the-norm-when-in-the-past-they-were-the-exception-14

According to the US Chamber of Commerce:

For starters, Congress hasn’t passed significant immigration reform legislation since 1986. Both parties have let this legal inertia go on while our economy and demographics have changed and the public clamored for solutions. To top it off, the current administration has compounded the problem in recent years by issuing a patchwork of executive orders that made actually fixing the problem more politically toxic. When immigrants aren’t working as employees, they’re being entrepreneurs, starting businesses—both large and small--that create jobs. Take grocery stores, shops, restaurants, and other Main Street businesses Americans encounter daily. According to one study, 28% of these businesses are owned by immigrant entrepreneurs. Between 2000 and 2013, immigrants accounted for 48% of overall business ownership growth. It’s a myth that immigrants come to the U.S. only to collect welfare. The fact is undocumented immigrants work and pay taxes. More than half have federal taxes automatically taken out of their paychecks--$13 billion in payroll taxes in 2010--and pay sales taxes like everybody else. On the local level, undocumented immigrant households paid $11.6 billion in state and local taxes in 2013. At the same time, undocumented workers can’t get federal benefits like Social Security, Medicaid, food stamps.

Researchers looking at what’s happening in states like Arizona and Florida, find that, on average, immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold/how-america-s-immigration-system-failed-and-why-we-need-fix-it

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Just got to give you a like again. Well written no LOL's or short cuts filled with truth and balance. Your definitely a student or professor of the lost art of letter writing. We are a dying breed. 

The headline is an example of Liberal Bias in the Media. It reads 

"IF migrant-tolerant policies continue" . It should read " If Illegal Immigrant Policies continue"
It is also worth noting that these "Sanctuary Cities" tend to be Democrat controlled

Trump's legal ability to punish states in refusal of his immigration policies/orders may not be so clear cut.

In NFIB vs Sebelius the USSC ruled that the US government could not threaten to take away state's Medicaid funds received from the US if they refused to comply with the expansion of Medicaid.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/donald-trump-sanctuary-cities/index.html

NYC may be in a more opportunative position if the federal funds for its police are withdrawn. It can retaliate by withdrawing the $500,000 cost per day to provide NYC police security to Trump Tower.  Have a nice day President Trump when you and familiy are  home in NYC.

5 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Right on Trump.Make the liberals pay for their stupidity. 

1/3 of Californians support declaring an independent country and breaking free from U.S., and other states have shown interest in joining them. That's how dangerous this situation is. California has the sixth largest economy in the world, an attempt to do so could lead to civil war. I don't think it would happen, but I didn't think Trump stood a snowball's chance in hell of being elected either. The truth of the matter is that the gap between the right and left is larger now than it has ever been. And your post is a great example of it. 

7 hours ago, zydeco said:

The Trump Revolution gathers steam!  All the status quo bureaucratic insiders are peeing in their pants. And so are all the illegals. Out you go.  All of you.

You mean the anti democracy movement?  40 percent is phenomenal!  Did it rise?  Did you see his amazing interview on TV?  Donald Duck would have done better.  He's like talking to a shoe.  No coherent answers.  You should watch it, good stuff!

3 hours ago, kaleevala said:

The headline is an example of Liberal Bias in the Media. It reads 

"IF migrant-tolerant policies continue" . It should read " If Illegal Immigrant Policies continue"
It is also worth noting that these "Sanctuary Cities" tend to be Democrat controlled

:violin:

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If nothing else I hope Trump does that, and let us enjoy the spectacle as the citizens of New York etc face paying higher taxes to pay for their rulers illegality. Probably hear the screaming from here! I doubt NY's mayor will get any support from the police, who apparently despise him.

Why do you care what New York does?

An interesting point that applies to Thailand.

One of the so-called "sanctuary cities" is Cambridge Mass..

It has a female African American mayor who has said she will not allow her police to follow any orders to detain illegal immigrants that have no criminal record.

The interesting thing about this is that Cambridge  Mass happens to be the city where the late Thai king was born when his father and his mother were attending classes in the University there.

Cambridge is a wealthy city, with many students and a healthy tax base.

Many U.S. high tech industries have offices and factories there

They do not need U.S. Federal aid to support immigrants there.

There is a memorial there at the spot where the recently deceased Thai king was born in, I believe 1928.

The world is a smaller and more complicated place then Donald can imagine or understand.

16 hours ago, Johpa said:

Pattaya is already a sanctuary city for the losers, criminals, and assorted other scumbags fleeing their lives in the west.

Happy Trails

Right.   "Happy Trails".   Roy Rogers, back in the 50s, wasn't it?   'Which isn't far from the time warp in which you appear to be stuck.   Pattaya isn't actively/intentionally harboring criminals and advertising itself as a "sanctuary" for them, the way cities like San Francisco are.   Federal immigration law IS the law of the land, and local & state law enforcement everywhere in the States should be helping to enforce it instead of racketeering to prevent enforcement.  A private citizen who aids & abets criminal activity is as criminally liable as the criminal himself, and certainly subject to arrest and prosecution; the city councils & political office holders in these sanctuary cities should be arrested and charged with criminal conspiracy.

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

An interesting point that applies to Thailand.

One of the so-called "sanctuary cities" is Cambridge Mass..

It has a female African American mayor who has said she will not allow her police to follow any orders to detain illegal immigrants that have no criminal record.

The interesting thing about this is that Cambridge  Mass happens to be the city where the late Thai king was born when his father and his mother were attending classes in the University there.

Cambridge is a wealthy city, with many students and a healthy tax base.

Many U.S. high tech industries have offices and factories there

They do not need U.S. Federal aid to support immigrants there.

There is a memorial there at the spot where the recently deceased Thai king was born in, I believe 1928.

The world is a smaller and more complicated place then Donald can imagine or understand.

You will hear the crys from the wealthy Cambridge citizens all the way to

Thailand, when ALL Federaf Funds are cut off to the City.....that's the

proposal....Fire, Police, Welfare....property taxes would go up 9000%!!!

22 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Right on Trump.Make the liberals pay for their stupidity. Can you imagine what would happen here if Pattaya declared itself a "Sanctuary City" ?

It it is rather sad that you would dismiss CONSERVATIVES and LIBERTARIANS and others who are firm believers in the US Constitution as "liberals" unworthy of listening to. Yes, there are people you term "liberals" who share the same belief, however, make no mistake that the insistence on a respect for the 4th Amendment is rooted in a deep respect for the law of the land.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If the 4th Amenmdment is so easily bushed aside, what's next? Warrantless searches? Warrantless arrests? Warrantless seizures? The risk of a police state exists because the  local civil police are forced into acting as agents of the federal government to execute the trampling to the 4th Amendment. This will drive all the true conservatives off the cliff.  It should terrify the wackos who love their Fox and Breitbart entertainment. Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh and others should be very concerned as  pushing aside the protections of the 4th Amendment means that their followers are subject to the same methods. Timothy McVeigh and other right wing terrorists launched their attacks in the USA because of what they perceived as an over reaching federal government.

5 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

You will hear the crys from the wealthy Cambridge citizens all the way to

Thailand, when ALL Federaf Funds are cut off to the City.....that's the

proposal....Fire, Police, Welfare....property taxes would go up 9000%!!!

Those cities are not 100% "enemy" . You are advocating collective punishment that will hit  those who supported  Trump just as hard.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Ah Yes , Another disappointed Clinton voter.

10 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Ah Yes , Another disappointed Clinton voter.

Wrong. I did not vote for her. And I did not vote for Trump. I could not hold my nose long enough to vote for either, as I felt they were both incredibly substandard candidates, and the nation deserved better. Or did it? That is the question. To a large extent I believe that both reality TV, and political correctness are to blame for Trump's victory and Brexit. People are just sick and tired of being told what to do, what to think, how to talk, how to address people, etc. Enough! But, regardless of my political affiliations, one thing that seems to be lost on both Trump and a percentage of his supporters is the need to fix immigration. Nobody seems to be talking about it. It is not one of those catchy kind of topics that this administration likes, nor is it something the media has much interest in.

The wall has NOTHING to do with fixing immigration. 

On 1/27/2017 at 5:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Lawmakers did the right thing by not letting emotion make law.

Try to excuse sanctuary cities or illegal labour as much as you like, as long as the law says it is illegal it is and people have to obey the law or suffer the consequences. That they were unable to change the law during the 8 years Obama was in charge is significant.

In the present situation, it is all very well for mayors to come out and say they won't obey the law, but then they can't complain when their federal funding dries up ( of course they will though ). There is a new sheriff in town, and things are not going to be the same anymore. That is why he got elected, so no more business as usual BS.

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong. I did not vote for her. And I did not vote for Trump. I could not hold my nose long enough to vote for either, as I felt they were both incredibly substandard candidates, and the nation deserved better. Or did it? That is the question. To a large extent I believe that both reality TV, and political correctness are to blame for Trump's victory and Brexit. People are just sick and tired of being told what to do, what to think, how to talk, how to address people, etc. Enough! But, regardless of my political affiliations, one thing that seems to be lost on both Trump and a percentage of his supporters is the need to fix immigration. Nobody seems to be talking about it. It is not one of those catchy kind of topics that this administration likes, nor is it something the media has much interest in.

The wall has NOTHING to do with fixing immigration. 

Wrong thread. The wall is on a different one and this one is about sanctuary cities. So completely off topic.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:56 PM, Johpa said:

Happy Trails

???????

Do you now or ever live in Pattaya? You are wrong. Perhaps there are criminals, but if caught doing criminal stuff they go to jail.

You may be confusing criminals with being illegally in Thailand.