Cost to run 12,200 BTU air con for 18hrs a day?

23 minutes ago, shaurene said:

First you need to convert the BTU (British therm units) to KW. 

12200 BTU approx 3.5 KW

if your elec power cost your 5 baht a unit ( a unit of power. Is 1,000 watts. 1 KW.)

So, you are useing 3.5 units of power each hour. Let's go 18 Baht per hour.

So 18 hours per day @ 18 BT = 324  BT per day. I think I have this right.

sorry mate, you don't have right. cooling capacity expressed in kWh is different from energy use. a 12,2000 btu/h unit draws ~1kWh in cooling mode (compressor running).

While electricity costs  are not excessive here as compared to the West, savings can still be made in a few ways:

1. reduce the number of usage hours

2. set the temperature 1/2 degrees higher

3. combine with a fan (which is peanuts to run instead of the AC at times)

4. Go out more. Get a life. (that's meant to be constructive) . CM, for any ex-pat is a great place to live. Hope you enjoy your time. 

1 hour ago, Naam said:

sorry mate, you don't have right. cooling capacity expressed in kWh is different from energy use. a 12,2000 btu/h unit draws ~1kWh in cooling mode (compressor running).

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

First you need to convert the BTU (British therm units) to KW. 

12200 BTU approx 3.5 KW

if your elec power cost your 5 baht a unit ( a unit of power. Is 1,000 watts. 1 KW.)

So, you are useing 3.5 units of power each hour. Let's go 18 Baht per hour.

So 18 hours per day @ 18 BT = 324  BT per day. I think I have this right.

also take into account setting your temp on the remote around 26c so the compressor will be turning off when your area is 26c and coming back on above this temp. I would work out 280 BT average per day.

keep your eye on the filters clean them regular. Just lift the cover up on the unit on the wall you will see if the filters are dirty, pull them out and wash them. If they are dirty it will use more power.

hope this helps.

Hi Naam. Sorry my comment was wrong. Am I right on this conversion.

Divide the BTU by the EER. 12,200 div by EER 12.49 = 977 watts PR hour.

div this by 1,000 = .977 kW.

x this by the power comp cost per unit (1,000)  .977 x say 5 baht.

= 4.8 BT per hour. 18 hrs = 88 BT for 18hrs.

cheers

kiwi Kenny

28 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Hi Naam. Sorry my comment was wrong. Am I right on this conversion.

Divide the BTU by the EER. 12,200 div by EER 12.49 = 977 watts PR hour.

div this by 1,000 = .977 kW.

x this by the power comp cost per unit (1,000)  .977 x say 5 baht.

= 4.8 BT per hour. 18 hrs = 88 BT for 18hrs.

cheers

kiwi Kenny

you are right Kenny except bringing EER into the equation. EER claims are like the claims of car manufacturers concerning fuel consumption. these claims are only correct when certain conditions and parameters exist and are met. in the case of the unit discussed here my best guess is that EER has been used to boost the rated capacity from 12,000 to 12,200 btu/h.

While the air-con consumes the largest amount of power, don't forget to budget for other electrical devices which can total to Bt1000 a month, whether during hot or cold seasons.

Lighting, refrigerator, water heater, washing machine, electric stove, kettle, computer, tv and chargers.

Thus, you have in fact a budget of Bt1700 for your air-con after taking out Bt300 for water.

A stand fan would allow setting the thermostat higher, and also leaving the air-con off a couple of hours of the early mornings and during rainy and cold weather.

Edited by trogers

It is a difficult calculation as there are many variables. I have LG 18K units in my lounge and bedroom and during the hot months they run in total about 12/14 hours a day. The electricity bill is about 800/900 baht a month different to when the air con is not being used, approx 30 baht a day.

My power bill is zero with the newly installed Mitsubishi Heavy industries 9.2 kW, (2.54 kW consumed) for 92 sq metres.

That's only because of 18 x 250 watt panels and am off grid and using a 3 kW inverter. This will change to a 4.5 kw dedicated DIY inverter I'm making.       That's bye the way info but shows it can be done.  

As others have said; insulation, sun shining indoors , and all else that robs efficiency should be looked at.

Mug3K ;- You've got some good info coming  from Crossie and  Naam (hi guys) and found  from my experience here is that once the humidity has been condensed out it seems to stay dry and very little consumption to maintain at 28. The pedestal fan suggested is great on the skin getting cool air into in an awkward dead-end extension where the air takes a while to flow.   Once the sun has set its amazing how quickly it cools outside so off with the air-con  and let the natural airflow through. only If/when suitable.    If you've got access to the condensate  drain you'll be surprised how much there is and proves refrigeration is happening,  But also the inverter compressors are great to hear them gently "purr" in to action and then slow down to an idle as required or to drop right out. Then there's only two fans running; inside and out.   

I measured the water purity here at 27 ppm of TDS  Total dissolved solids and probably tastes like PVC pipe but could be used for car batteries and radiators, pot plants and washing the dog.     smile please.

Good luck mug3k. with the recent heat waves here in Oz I wonder how we did without it.

We run 2 x 18000 btu samsung inverter units set at 28c in the living area which are not usually turned on to its over 30c and humid and use pedestal fans to circulate the air which are much more efficient than ceiling fans which we have also but rarely use ( wife uses them to dry the floor after she's washed it sometimes) 

In 2 bedrooms  the smaller aicons are set at 24c and used most nights also with pedestal fans to circulate the air, we have 4 electric water heaters (only 2 usually in use), 3 TV's, 2 large fridges and a electric water pump

Are electricity bill is always under 4000 baht  summer or winter

The main living area is in shade from patios/verandas from 9am  which keeps the running costs down 

Edited by madmax2

• 4 weeks later...

So I got my first monthly bill, surprisingly it was was only 500 baht for the electric and 150 for the water, I'm amazed how its so cheap. I've been running the air con for around 16-18 hours each day at 23-24 on econo mode, maybe that's what helped keep the cost down. I budgeted for around 2000 baht a month so it's definitely a welcome surprise :post-4641-1156694572:

My condo is twice the size of yours. I run my well-maintained inverter aircon constantly at 28 degrees all year and also have a PC, large TV, hifi, fridge-freezer, oven, washing machine etc. and I pay the PEA rate.

My electricity bill varies around 1300-1800B. That's down from 4000+B with an old no-name aircon.

8 hours ago, mug3k said:

So I got my first monthly bill, surprisingly it was was only 500 baht for the electric and 150 for the water, I'm amazed how its so cheap. I've been running the air con for around 16-18 hours each day at 23-24 on econo mode, maybe that's what helped keep the cost down. I budgeted for around 2000 baht a month so it's definitely a welcome surprise :post-4641-1156694572:

if that electricity bill is correct, respectively for a period of 30 days consider it a miracle!

14 minutes ago, Naam said:

if that electricity bill is correct, respectively for a period of 30 days consider it a miracle!

Dunno. I don't feel especially miserly but the one month (April) we got a bill for over ‎฿2000.- we had a major inquest. Two A/Cs, 17 and 19 - 000 BthU respectively, freezer, fridge, PC, TV.

Generally around ‎฿600.-. The house is as yet uninsulated, 11 x 4 Metres square, single story.

Of course if you have a two story house with nice large windows and can't bare the thought of turning the A/C off in rooms you aren't using, bills of ‎฿8 to 10 000 are to be expected.

On 1/31/2017 at 2:51 PM, madmax2 said:

We run 2 x 18000 btu samsung inverter units set at 28c in the living area which are not usually turned on to its over 30c and humid and use pedestal fans to circulate the air which are much more efficient than ceiling fans which we have also but rarely use ( wife uses them to dry the floor after she's washed it sometimes) 

In 2 bedrooms  the smaller aicons are set at 24c and used most nights also with pedestal fans to circulate the air, we have 4 electric water heaters (only 2 usually in use), 3 TV's, 2 large fridges and a electric water pump

Are electricity bill is always under 4000 baht  summer or winter

The main living area is in shade from patios/verandas from 9am  which keeps the running costs down 

Wife told me the electricity bill was 2800 baht last month, the weather has been cooler and we are not using the aircons in the living area very often, even though the 2 bedroom aircons are still used every night they run on cooling the air less often than when its hotter and more humid

I forgot to mention we also run our 2HP swimming pool pump 5 hours every day also

Get a swamp cooler, runs on blue ice packets. Will bring a room down to 22 degrees Celsius.

It is is a fan blowing cold air from the ice packets. From 3000 to 7000 Baht. They are in Makro, Big C now until rainy season. No expensive energy burning compressor.

Question :  What are you doing inside for 18 hours a day, when there is a very Beautiful Thailand outside ?

Edited by themerg

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I forgot to mention we also run our 2HP swimming pool pump 5 hours every day also

That alone will eat up .75*2*5 (7.5) units per day, 30 days a month = 225 units @ 4 Baht = 900 Baht just on the pool pump.

2 hours ago, themerg said:

Get a swamp cooler, runs on blue ice packets. Will bring a room down to 22 degrees Celsius.

It is is a fan blowing cold air from the ice packets. From 3000 to 7000 Baht. They are in Makro, Big C now until rainy season. No expensive energy burning compressor.

And the ice packets get cold how?

You may be surprised how efficient your "expensive energy burning compressor" actually in in terms of energy extraction.

4 hours ago, cooked said:

Of course if you have a two story house with nice large windows and can't bare the thought of turning the A/C off in rooms you aren't using, bills of ‎฿8 to 10 000 are to be expected.

we live in a single story home, no big windows and can only dream about electricity bills of 8-10,000 Baht. top is around 21,000 april/may, low around 12,000 jan/feb.

share of airconditioning electricity consumption ~60% apr-sep and ~40% oct-mar.

average temperature in the home 26.5ºC. 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

That alone will eat up .75*2*5 (7.5) units per day, 30 days a month = 225 units @ 4 Baht = 900 Baht just on the pool pump.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:
4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

the ice packets are cooled free of charge by the Tooth Fairy. :smile:

Question :  What are you doing inside for 18 hours a day, when there is a very Beautiful Thailand outside ?

my dogs were rolling on the floor with laughter when they read this. i just yawned :coffee1:

4 hours ago, cooked said:

The house is as yet uninsulated, 11 x 4 Metres square, single story.

here's the beef! that's roughly net 40m² living area and not the airconditioned 620m², pool pump, pond pump, irrigation pump, deepwell pump, house water supply pump, washer, dryer, 5 persons taking hot showers (three females shampooing their long hair every other day), in- and outside lighting, 4 TVs, 4 PCs which inflates our electricity bill.

How many units of electricity did the bill say you used ? and was the outside temperature 20 degrees ?

...I think someone made a mistake somewhere.

Ps I'm intrigued as to how the bill could be so low. ;)

Thanks, I found this topic interesting for another reason. We are regular visitors to CM, paying around 10,000TB per week for very small 25-30m studio. Had dentist appointment and planned on returning to cool room and recover for the rest of the day and left the air conditioner on. The owner, who happened to be in CM at the time phoned and asked if he could go into the room to repair the fridge while I wasn't there, I agreed but then he phoned to tell me he didn't like my leaving the air conditioner on. I had assumed power must have been expensive there, but now realise it isn't. The owner is not Thai, has a very high profile western job and many condos... my theory is, if it bothers him so much, charge me for the power and let me enjoy a cool room. 

17 minutes ago, chenierkmer said:

Most modern rooms you have to insert the key holder in the slot to get electricity . When removed to leave your place everything goes off .
Most places are 8 Baht per unit .
Get a Thai girl from the country they don't care for Air Con .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

:giggle: I don't really need a Thai girl! It's for hubby and I. Air is on 24/7 at my home, set permanently at 23.

Setting your aircon at 29c in the day time , it will remove the moisture from the air and make the room comfortable 

Setting a aircon below 24C in a country with a tropical climate is a complete waste of money

Why live here if you have to put on extra clothes to keep warm