Re-Enter Country to Put New Passport in 90-Day Database?

I got a new passport which has a new number. After this happened, I could no longer do my 90-day report online as it seems the database no longer knows me. In other threads, people have suggested that leaving and re-entering the country is necessary to get the new passport into the 90-day database. Just want to ask if anyone can confirm that this works. Also: Would it make any difference if I flew in or came by land?
Thx.

As far as I can tell it is not possible to do online reports at the moment.

You don't need to leave the country to get your new passport into the system. Just do your next report in person or by mail. 

Also, get your visa and extension transferred into your new passport - if you haven't already done so.

The database the online reporting system accesses is from entries to the country. The only way to have a record of your new passport in it is to do a entry.

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You don't need to leave the country to get your new passport into the system. Just do your next report in person or by mail. 

Not correct. The way is do a new entry. I have been told that by immigration.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The database the online reporting system accesses is from entries to the country. The only way to have a record of your new passport in it is to do a entry.

Not correct. The way is do a new entry. I have been told that by immigration.

Yes. Just wondering if anyone has actually re-entered and was then able to do 90-day online again to confirm that it works.

10 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Yes. Just wondering if anyone has actually re-entered and was then able to do 90-day online again to confirm that it works

Yes people have done it and been successful.

Some have also done it to get a new entry because they had an old entry and it was not in the database.

I have both an old entry (pre 2013) and a new passport so I cannot do reports online. But I have not bothered to go out and back for a new entry yet.