How much do you give your wife/gf to spend for food and stuff

JoeBloe

49 minutes ago, MichaelBates said:
  • An engineer thinks that equations are an approximation to reality.
  • A physicist thinks reality is an approximation to equations.
  • A mathematician doesn't care.

:passifier:

Give it a rest, it's getting very old!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be going wrong somewhere, perhaps we're not normal because 45k a month seems like a massive amount to spend on groceries each month.

I buy a lot of imported cheese every month, meat is typically chicken or pork which is local, as are all vegetables, fruit and dairy - we don't eat beef and we don't need to buy imported meat period. We don't buy soft drinks but we do buy fruit juice - we also don't buy cakes/pastries/biscuits/chips. I eat three meals a day and 80% are western dishes, Mrs CM does the usual Thai meals 100%.

We don't try to save money on groceries, our supermarket shopping has no budget associated with it but over a month it always averages around 7k baht and some months may peak at 8.5K baht, there's no booze in that number.

Why such a huge disparity in the numbers?

I must be going wrong somewhere, perhaps we're not normal because 45k a month seems like a massive amount to spend on groceries each month.

I buy a lot of imported cheese every month, meat is typically chicken or pork which is local, as are all vegetables, fruit and dairy - we don't eat beef and we don't need to buy imported meat period. We don't buy soft drinks but we do buy fruit juice - we also don't buy cakes/pastries/biscuits/chips. I eat three meals a day and 80% are western dishes, Mrs CM does the usual Thai meals 100%.

We don't try to save money on groceries, our supermarket shopping has no budget associated with it but over a month it always averages around 7k baht and some months may peak at 8.5K baht, there's no booze in that number.

Why such a huge disparity in the numbers?

The expensive items are beef, lamb, seafood, cheese, toiletries ( not sure if I rightly included this in groceries), olives, olive oil, nice cold cuts etc.
And again covering 5 people. I think milk alone is about 1,000 a month.

2 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

The expensive items are beef, lamb, seafood, cheese, toiletries ( not sure if I rightly included this in groceries), olives, olive oil, nice cold cuts etc.
And again covering 5 people. I think milk alone is about 1,000 a month.

OK we're maybe getting closer but there's a still a huge gap - and yes, I include toiletries in my numbers - we use olive oil also. As said we don't do beef/lamb but we do eat a fair amount of seafood. Our milk bill is about 200 a month so a fifth of yours, which supports the idea that our spend per person is less than half of yours. Each to their own of course on all of this, I'm just curious that the numbers are what they are and was trying to reconcile why.

Op I did warn you of the outcome of this thread if you want sound advise don't bother answering anything from now on all the "homie and troll" coments meant to annoy you in forming a put down reply post to the person,  who will then immediately report your post in the hope of getting you a holiday. 

Just not worth the effort

Go shopping my friend it's easier

On 1/27/2017 at 11:05 PM, 473geo said:

Standard living - Ball park 5k baht a week and you pick up the big ticket items, if she is good with food she will save out of this

Hi there 

I am only start living seriously in this country 2 months, at Mukdahan... I calculated before and talked with lots of friends that 20 - 25 K is correct figure. Though we are 2 people but eating everything...Maybe it is little much than food and extras BUT she likes to SAVE.. all Thai woman likes to save for rainy day. Maybe you must save for rainy day toooo

Maybe It is not my job, but I am against paying money for SEX...

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A Thai woman who likes to save money for a rainy day is about as rare as hens teeth!

Hi my friend

I met lots of Thai woman ( more than Barracuda teeth) 

My wife was working at a resort and saving money for her daughter university as well as paying her house mortgage... And her friends same ....

2 minutes ago, memooz said:

Hi my friend

I met lots of Thai woman ( more than Barracuda teeth) 

My wife was working at a resort and saving money for her daughter university as well as paying her house mortgage... And her friends same ....

A lot of them say they do, very very few of them actually do that. For what it's worth I'm pretty certain there is a consensus amongst established longer term expats here that Thai females are probably some of the worst financial managers in the world.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

A lot of them say they do, very very few of them actually do that. For what it's worth I'm pretty certain there is a consensus amongst established longer term expats here that Thai females are probably some of the worst financial managers in the world.

WOOW

Thanks for the advise...about financial management side....

cheers

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

i agree even though StefanBKK feeds 5 persons. i also think that your 7k a month is quite low. my accounting does not differentiate between groceries and other consumables. our general household expenses for food and non-alcoholic drinks are around 30k/month for 2 persons but out of that amount at least one third is spent for imported "luxury" food items.

9 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Sometimes this place is like slipping through a time portal back to the 1950s.

I don't pay my wife a stipend. I've never given any girlfriend I ever had an allowance or pocket money, and I think they'd have been bemused if I'd even suggested it. You guys seem to live in an entirely different world. 

Living in an entirely different world from most posters here -- 

For that, I am thankful

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Yeh Yeh Yeh established long term expat here you are wrong, maybe your partner is what you say. My wife is one of the best financial managers I know beats me hands down and I thought I was pretty money savvy. 

Can I ask this established  long term expat you speak of who are you refering to the wider expat community who are not tv members or this site's members two completely diffrent dogs there.

Oops sorry just re read your post your "pretty certain there is a consensus" then "Thai females are probably" so  a series of  hunches a guesses  no real evidence. Away to go chiang mai  best post of the thread is my hunch/guess.

8 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yeh Yeh Yeh established long term expat here you are wrong, maybe your partner is what you say. My wife is one of the best financial managers I know beats me hands down and I thought I was pretty money savvy. 

Can I ask this established  long term expat you speak of who are you refering to the wider expat community who are not tv members or this site's members two completely diffrent dogs there.

I did not write "all" Thai women hence it's hard to see how I can be wrong!

And your second question is so asinine we'll simply forget you asked it!

16 minutes ago, Naam said:

i agree even though StefanBKK feeds 5 persons. i also think that your 7k a month is quite low. my accounting does not differentiate between groceries and other consumables. our general household expenses for food and non-alcoholic drinks are around 30k/month for 2 persons but out of that amount at least one third is spent for imported "luxury" food items.

To add some context for the benefit of those trying to actually figure out a budget:

We eat out about ten times per month I would guess plus Mrs CM eats two meals per day at or around her work.

My breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit, my lunch varies from a sandwich to similar, hence our food budget is really about our main meal together each evening (weekends typically food out).

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

To add some context for the benefit of those trying to actually figure out a budget:

We eat out about ten times per month I would guess plus Mrs CM eats two meals per day at or around her work.

My breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit, my lunch varies from a sandwich to similar, hence our food budget is really about our main meal together each evening (weekends typically food out).

that sheds some light on your low 7k/month. as opposed to you and your Mrs. we eat out only 5 times, and that not per month but per YEAR.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

I did not write "all" Thai women hence it's hard to see how I can be wrong!

And your second question is so asinine we'll simply forget you asked it!

Standard oh dear I've been caught out reply thank you for your hunches/guesses made my day.

So did your reply.

The best thing you could do is help her with a new job or career. I give her nothing. In fact she buys me stuff more times than I to her. I am 30 and she is 28.. we have been together for a year and half now.she works for the government and I stay in her government Condo rent free and when we go out eating sometimes she pays for it and sometimes I do. I don't understand why many of the old guys here are so paranoid of thai women.. or maybe it's a regional thing.. my gf is from North and many of her friends I met seemed to be very independent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Calm down, nobody said your wife is a bad money manager!

Lol now the try shift it over to you game. Why can't you just admit you posted your hunches/guesses but in reality you have no idea. You try to claim you know the "Established long term Expats" opinions which of course you do not. A simple yes this is my theory not based on fact or proof post to let others know would suffice but we all know you won't do this as it will show exactly what your end game is.

I'm cool and calm always have been. Not even a good attempt at shifting keep trying as I'm sure you will.

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Lol now the try shift it over to you game. Why can't you just admit you posted your hunches/guesses but in reality you have no idea. You try to claim you know the "Established long term Expats" opinions which of course you do not. A simple yes this is my theory not based on fact or proof post to let others know would suffice but we all know you won't do this as it will show exactly what your end game is.

I'm cool and calm always have been. Not even a good attempt at shifting keep trying as I'm sure you will.

Go argue with somebody else, I'm NOT interested if you can't comprehend what was written. Goodbye.

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

You said "relationships here" ... money issues is universal around the world, but in Thailand you have the added dimension of "family" funding, not unique to Thailand but unheard of in the west.

Not really.  Often people are funding adult children in advanced education, and when we have step-children these things get complicated.  People do help their parents too.  Who shall we leave our money when we die?  Your 3rd wife would like it all to go to her  . ..but your children thinks she has only known you for 5 years and that doesn't seem quite right. 

But yes, this money issue becomes a topic, while you are dating here in Thailand.  Often before you have even met.  You start supporting "family" who isn't your family ..from day one.  Those people work and are often working age, and are not getting an education. We are not living in a war-torn country and you need to save them. It seems to be the center of everything and stays that way for your entire relationship. Not just for 4 years or while a parent has cancer or dementia.  You know that every Thai person you date, will be the same story, more or less.  I don't see that as family really  ..I see that a money issue.

I mean ..what I am saying, is that these people are not your family YET.  If you dated them and were with them and after 10 years your woman's Father got cancer and needed some help, then you have "family problem."  When you know a woman for 3 months and she says you have to send money to my parents because they are poorer than you are ..that is not a "family problem."

Even if they don't have family issues, they have money management issues. Some Western people also have these issue too but not in the same way. If two Thai people are together they tend to think the same about money so they are going to have a lot less conflict.  Many Western people don't think the same way about money, don't respect money in the same way and that is a big problem.  So my idea is that MONEY is the problem and keeping this area clean and clear can help your relationships.

The OP is obviously foggy with his idea about how to handle the money with his new lady. He doesn't want clean and clear lines. She will not want those either.  This will bite them both in the ass.

Archived