Sending a Valentine's gift to my girlfriend's office?

Auslander Slander

Since I won't be in Thailand for Valentine's Day, I'd like to send my girlfriend some flowers/ chocolate to be delivered to her workplace.
I do know that Valentine's is a pretty big thing for many Thai women, and she'd appreciate the gesture. But I'm a little uncertain... could this come off as awkward or embarrassing for her in any way? Like, loss of face, or jealously, or whatever w/her coworkers..?  or teasing?

I think she's sorta expecting me to do it (she even asked me for my own workplace address so it seems like she could be planning something similar)... I'd just like to avoid spoiling the gesture by causing anything unpleasant for her, ya know.

Any input from you guys who have done this before? :)

Thanks!

IMHO - You can never go wrong with flowers, and chocolates. Just make sure you send enough chocolates to share with her co-workers.

5 hours ago, Auslander Slander said:

... she even asked me for my own workplace address so it seems like she could be planning something similar.

I hope you are not heading for a disappointment. :smile:

Just do it. 

I have done this every year and my gf loves it. All her work colleagues see that she is in a good relationship. One year I sent a card instead of flowers and she was very disappointed when it arrived late. Another year I was unable to send flowers so I transferred the money for them to her account and she ordered them herself and sent them to her workplace.

Thai women love to here the gossip about how loving their bf is

18 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I think she'd gain great face by the gesture.

Go for it.

Totally agree.. I show up where my wife works with flowers and  everyone is very impressed.. if someone is jealous that is their problem.. go for it!

Sure sign of a weak relationship or weak personalities sending flowers to the office to garner attention from gf's co-workers. Does she not have an actual home address? Send her gifts at home not the bar she works in. So tacky.

2 hours ago, csabo said:

Sure sign of a weak relationship or weak personalities sending flowers to the office to garner attention from gf's co-workers. Does she not have an actual home address? Send her gifts at home not the bar she works in. So tacky.

True that it's a bit ridiculous to send anything to office.

3 hours ago, csabo said:

28 minutes ago, amjamj said:

True that it's a bit ridiculous to send anything to office.

Most office workers have to set out early to get to work at 8.00 or 9.00 - I guess it would be very hard to co-ordinate a delivery within such a narrow window of opportunity.

Of course, the delivery could be made later in the day. But, if it is to be a nice surprise, how could he ensure that she is going to be at home at the exact time of delivery.

No, delivery to the office is far more sensible. That is where she will be from 9 to 5 (or whatever).

Csabo - your  "... the bar she works in" comment is crass.

3 hours ago, csabo said:

Do one better and just let your heart pour out on her Facebook page 

10 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

Just do it. 

I have done this every year and my gf loves it. All her work colleagues see that she is in a good relationship. One year I sent a card instead of flowers and she was very disappointed when it arrived late. Another year I was unable to send flowers so I transferred the money for them to her account and she ordered them herself and sent them to her workplace.

Thai women love to here the gossip about how loving their bf is

All women love to hear gossip about how enamored of them their bfs/partners are.

I once used a promo from an auto dealer which offered to bring a demo driver to the prospective buyer's place of work. The lady was so impressed with me, temporarily.

A little off topic but....

A few decades ago I asked a good friend what I should get my mother for mother's day.  After pondering for a bit, he asked "do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?". :stoner: I thought that was a brilliant suggestion! :smile:  To our teenage male minds it seemed to be both practical and thoughtful.  If she ever had a flaming pot of oil on the stove, she would no doubt smile fondly at my foresight as she grabbed the extinguisher and sprayed it all over the place. :post-4641-1156694572:

Needless to say, she was expecting something like chocolates and was rather nonplussed at the sight of the gleaming red cylinder I presented her with. 

Years ago back in the UK.

Had a new pair of tyres for my bike delivered to the then Ms. TJ916s workplace on Valentine's Day.

Her, and her dragonesque workmates were not impressed.

They were extra sticky Michelins as well (the tyres not the workmates)

Women..... funny critters.

Thanks for the replies peeps, guess I'll go for it :smile:

I could get a delivery to her home address instead, yeah, but she lives with her parents and sisters.. and not *all* of them are aware of our relationship yet. So while I think it wouldn't be a huge issue, it's better to err on the side of caution there..

And nope, she's quite far from being a bar girl, but keep your preconceptions if you must ;)

She will just be the gossip of the office for the day...the fact she has a farang boyfriend (as many Thai have preconceived opinions of farang) probably means the office will be expecting more so are itching for the moment to see what she gets (the assumption being she is close with the people she works with). I think if she isn't close to them, then there is the possibility it could be quiet awkward/showy..I personally cant stand the holiday so my Mrs uses that as an excuse to have a sook to the office complaining about me because she doesn't get anything. Then when I go to the office for lunch or whatever they all tease me about it. 

How can you turn this in to a negative thing? Of course she will be happy to get flowers. And sending it to the workplace is something people do all over the world. If anything I would guess it would be extra fun to receive them in the workplace since its typically not the most fun place in the world to begin with. 

Edited by Kaalle

• 2 weeks later...

I really prefer not to use these big worldwide florists. I despise big chains like 1800flowers and starbucks.. plus they tend to charge Worldwide prices.. so I am sure for 100$ spent at a local florist I would get for than a dozen roses??   What I really want is to send a live plant to East of Udon a box of chocolates would be nice. 

On 2/11/2017 at 0:08 AM, Elkski said:

I really prefer not to use these big worldwide florists. I despise big chains like 1800flowers and starbucks.. plus they tend to charge Worldwide prices.. so I am sure for 100$ spent at a local florist I would get for than a dozen roses??   What I really want is to send a live plant to East of Udon a box of chocolates would be nice. 

Pricey aren't they? Get your hand in your pocket, you cheapskate. As the Bee Gees said: How deep is your love? I say: How deep are your pockets?

Edited by champers

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 10:54 PM, Rc2702 said:

Do one better and just let your heart pour out on her Facebook page 

Exactly! Another great example.  And then when she is mad she can post all that for the world to see also and use of public opinion to manipulate the relationship in her favor.  The narcissism is sickening.  

Well I found a florist and I did get some flowers delivered for a friend outside of  Udon. It was the first flowers this forty-three-year-old woman has received in her life.   the smile and the happiness it gave her was well worth 135 US dollars.   35$ for the delivery since it was so far. Her sister was smart enough to take pictures of her with them and her smile was very nice.   She posted pictures on Facebook, she took them to work, she slept with them. First I found some Orchid company and was going to buy her a live orchid. I actually did order one but then got notice that the location did not have any orchids so I cancel that order and found another place. I just got my official refund today some 14 days later.