Snake in Toilet - one way valve?

Chuckles78

I was somewhat amused after reading about the unfortunate guy in bangkok last year who was bitten by a snake that came up through his toilet.

Anyway.... Surley it would never happen here where we live i thought!! 

Then today, our neighbour in Hua Hin in their 2 story house discovered a snake in the upstairs toilet! In its own surprise it quickly went back into the toilet! We opened the septic tank and after repeated flushings never found it!  

So now the real question! How to prevent this!? I read about Multiflaps... seems like an idea. Fitting something on the septic would be preferable as we have 7 toilets but perhaps a flap on each toilet would be more effective?  

Has anyone tried a solution??  

The snake must have got into the house and into the toilet, there is no way a snake could get into our sewerage system except through a toilet unless some pipework had broken and the snake got underground.

If you live in Bangkok, most of the septic tank overflows drain into a common drain and then into a canal somewhere.  Although it would be a circuitous and adventuresome route for the snake, he could enter through that overflow and up through the toilet.  I once had a Tokay Gecko sitting in my toilet ready to strike on whoever sat down, but he got in from the house.  I tried to catch the bugger the night before and lost him and was glad that I looked before I sat!!

On 1/30/2017 at 0:25 AM, sandrabbit said:

The snake must have got into the house and into the toilet, there is no way a snake could get into our sewerage system except through a toilet unless some pipework had broken and the snake got underground.

As all sewerage tanks require both an overflow (which in cities is open drain into gray water/flood drains) and air vent as well as toilet drain line it would not be hard for snake to enter in many cases - even if other entry such as individual toilet air vents and drains are not available.  The toilet drain is normally above waist level in sewerage tank so snake once there would have easy access.

But lets be real - how many cases are ever recorded of toilet snake bits?  Must more productive to look both ways before crossing the street (or sidewalk) here.

Doubtless "flapper" type valves would be very effective, in the very unlikely event you have a snake who decides to visit!

The trouble would come in maintaining the valves, all "check" type or "flapper" valves create a restriction, if they are of excellent quality, they are in a very corrosive environment remember, they should last a maximum of ~four years, then what? difficult to replace? Maybe better to take the off chance off snake crawling up the drain!

Mind, if one did happen to bite ones private areas you would, in hindsight consider it was money and time well spent!

Personally I am going to face the threat!

Edited by CGW

On 31/01/2017 at 9:45 AM, lopburi3 said:

But lets be real - how many cases are ever recorded of toilet snake bits?  Must more productive to look both ways before crossing the street (or sidewalk) here.

There were two or three in Pathum Thani alone last year, all were pythons although it is unclear whether it was the same python which had a toilet fetish.

I know - more reports than normal - but how many were killed in traffic during that time period?  Most people get a mouse scare but are not bitten in such snake encounters and although might be a slight danger to tackle that snake is not normally deadly to people (although have seen big enough upcountry to fear car being compressed with me in it).