Possible to own property with a private garage

I know you can't own land in Thailand, and I'm not interested in starting a "so called" business. Is it possible to own any kind of dwelling that has a garage, or private area that you can park a vehicle - like a townhouse in a communal owned block, or similar?

Edited by Djw6

15 minutes ago, manarak said:

you could buy a large ground floor condo and change a room into a garage

Thinking about it. I have never seen a ground floor condo. All the condos I've seen have car parks, offices, shops etc... on the ground floor.

Some condos come with one or two allocated parking spaces, but they are just that - unenclosed parking spaces.

I haven't seen any condos with a separate enclosed garage.

You would have problems modifying a ground floor condo into a garage because you would have to alter the external wall, which would need consent. The same consent would be needed to enclose an allocated parking space.

Non Thai people cannot own land (except in the most exceptional of circumstances). That includes townhouses.

Is there a reason why the vehicle must be garaged?

50 minutes ago, Djw6 said:

Do you have a straight in access through your front door for a bike?

yes, I could use a plank as a ramp to get the bike up the doorstep, and I could just roll it in.

Edited by manarak

In you original post you mentioned a vehicle. Are you referring to a car, a motorbike or both? Do you want to use the space for storing the vehicle or working on the vehicle?

For storage of a bike, you might be able to get permission to put a metal storage box on a designated car parking space at a condo, as long as the box wasn't meant you be a permanent fixture.

Addressing the townhouse in a communal owned block, I have seen folks who have enclosed the traditional front patio/parking space and made it into an enclosed garage.  I use the term "enclosed" a bit loosely, as the front is usually a roll-down or swing open gate, but I don't see why it couldn't be a solid-front roll-up door like in the west.

5 hours ago, Djw6 said:

Sensible answers please, as other people may need similar info'.

what do you mean, sensible answers ?

I park my car directly in front of the entrance door to my condo. So if I put a plank as a ramp, I can get the motorcycle into the condo easily, or did I misunderstand your question?

19 hours ago, manarak said:

what do you mean, sensible answers ?

I park my car directly in front of the entrance door to my condo. So if I put a plank as a ramp, I can get the motorcycle into the condo easily, or did I misunderstand your question?

Sorry, I thought you meant a ramp up to the second floor, like in the movies;).

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

In you original post you mentioned a vehicle. Are you referring to a car, a motorbike or both? Do you want to use the space for storing the vehicle or working on the vehicle?

For storage of a bike, you might be able to get permission to put a metal storage box on a designated car parking space at a condo, as long as the box wasn't meant you be a permanent fixture.

I was talking about a fairly expensive motorcycle. I had one stolen last year, don't want it to happen again. Maybe a ground floor condo might be a solution.

Do you really want a motorcycle with it's smelly, oily smell and highly flammable (and vented) fuel supply in your condo?

Notwithstanding the building regulations almost certainly forbidding same anyway.

We had to get special permission for our petrol genset (out on the balcony) during the Great Flood when we had no mains power for 6 months.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do you really want a motorcycle with it's smelly, oily smell and highly flammable (and vented) fuel supply in your condo?

Notwithstanding the building regulations almost certainly forbidding same anyway.

We had to get special permission for our petrol genset (out on the balcony) during the Great Flood when we had no mains power for 6 months.

A nice bike in the hallway wouldn't bother me. It might be better to rent a town house with a garage.