UK Daily Expense

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There are many ways to reduce the gross premium without getting any discount.

Of course but that was same car, value, same address, same everything.. 

From memory they gave me equivalent of 4 or 5 years off this year as my starting rate and then I get 7 years (I think that is 'full') at the policy expiry but I have to remain with them for another year (using 7 years NCD) before they let me take that full NCB anywhere else. 

It helped swing it that I could show a family car policy with me as a named driver, which was free on that policy anyway.. Also I would have been cheaper if I could have had a policy with my wife as a couple (5xx instead of 700ish) but I honestly told them my wife didnt have a uk license and that option closed. As they never asked for any license proofs it seems to me I could have saved the 200 quid and simply never let her drive the car (same as now) at no actual risk. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

For once  Sandy,I'm in complete agreement with you. As I feel like I'm a 2nd class British citizen. So unlike the Thais,who if they return to Thailand after years living in the UK, can immediately expect to be treated the same as any other Thai.

Good for Thailand,bad for the UK.

To be honest I'm not sure with what you're in agreement with, or indeed the relevance of sandyf's response to my statement, as he failed to comment on my post I'm at a loss to understand his point.

The fact remains that if you're a returning resident to the UK, and can satisfy the NHS staff that is the case, you're entitled to NHS cover from day one.

Gov.UK said:

If you move to the UK permanently, you're entitled to free NHS hospital treatment. Like all UK residents, you'll have to pay some NHS charges (for example, for prescriptions), unless you are exempt from these. Different rules apply if you're visiting temporarily. If there's a waiting list for the treatment you need, you'll have to join the waiting list.  The hospital may ask you for evidence that you live in the UK permanently, e.g that you have bought or rented a property in the UK.

Moving_to_the_UK_2015.doc

21 hours ago, theoldgit said:

To be honest I'm not sure with what you're in agreement with, or indeed the relevance of sandyf's response to my statement, as he failed to comment on my post I'm at a loss to understand his point.

The fact remains that if you're a returning resident to the UK, and can satisfy the NHS staff that is the case, you're entitled to NHS cover from day one.

Moving_to_the_UK_2015.doc

The point is that Mr Hunts comment effectively contradicts the guidelines you referred to, the interpretation being that overseas visitors need only make a fair contribution.

Whether his comment carries any validity is another matter entirely.

22 hours ago, Tapster said:

@sandyf

Please will you go into a bit more detail on how to reduce the gross premium for car insurance?

I will need insurance in the UK for part of this year and it would be very helpful to know, thanks.

:smile:

The obvious starting point is the vehicle, if you have to acquire a vehicle it should be borne in mind that some makes carry an insurance penalty due to cost of repairs. Common unaltered vehicles will be in a lower group.

Shop around for a provider, there can be significant differences in the GP for the same vehicle. Age comes into it, if over 50, Saga can be one of the most competitive.

Check for an introductory discount, you may need to talk to providers to get an answer on that one.

Look at the effect of additional excess, some may offer 10% to go to £500 or greater whereas some may offer 15 - 20% for the same level. If insurance is only temporary protecting NCB may not be an issue.

Each company will have various factors that can affect the GP such as address, high risk area or not, or is the vehicle kept in a garage, number of drivers etc. If you can make use of any of the factors, check the savings between providers.

It is a question of doing some homework to identify the best solution for your needs.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

The point is that Mr Hunts comment effectively contradicts the guidelines you referred to, the interpretation being that overseas visitors need only make a fair contribution.

Whether his comment carries any validity is another matter entirely.

The guidelines I referred to were aimed at UK Nationals returning to the UK to live permanently, whereas your link, posted without comment, was referring to visitors to the UK, a very different beast, I'm sure you'll now understand why I found it confusing, Hunt doesn't mention returning nationals he certainly doesn't contradict the official guidelines.

19 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The guidelines I referred to were aimed at UK Nationals returning to the UK to live permanently, whereas your link, posted without comment, was referring to visitors to the UK, a very different beast, I'm sure you'll now understand why I found it confusing, Hunt doesn't mention returning nationals he certainly doesn't contradict the official guidelines.

"whereas your link, posted without comment, " ?? There was a comment below the link.

From your post "  if you can't satisfy NHS Trusts that you're resident in the UK, "

Mr Hunt referred to 'overseas visitors', if an expat is not an overseas visitor and not a UK resident, what are they?(rhetorical).

At the moment YouGov are conducting a survey regarding the proposal for overseas visitors to prove ability to pay before treatment. It is an interesting point that the survey question specifically states 'foreign nationals'.

It is of little wonder that there is a grey area.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Mr Hunt referred to 'overseas visitors', if an expat is not an overseas visitor and not a UK resident, what are they?(rhetorical).

You still don't get it do you?

As I've said a number of times, my posts were in response to the member asking about expats returning to the UK to live, not visit.

That's why I said "if however you can satisfy staff that you're returning permanently, then you're covered from day one",  "The fact remains that if you're a returning resident  to the UK, and can satisfy the NHS staff that is the case, you're entitled to NHS cover from day one"  and finally "The guidelines I referred to were aimed at UK Nationals returning to the UK to live permanently, whereas your link, posted without comment, was referring to visitors to the UK".
I think I made it very clear that a UK National who returns to the UK to live permanently, and can prove it, is covered from day one, a visitor isn't. I think it's pretty obvious to most of us that somebody returning on a permanent basis wouldn't be classed as a visitor.

I don't think this is a grey area at all, the advice, that a UK Citizen returning to live in the UK permanently has free access to the NHS, whilst a British ex-pat returning to visit isn't, is supplied by government agencies, NHS Trusts as well as advice organisations such as Citizens Advice and the like.
Can we move on please?

I have to admit that I'm finding the conflicting views on NHS cover for those returning to live confusing, am I the only thick one here?

This thread is about people returning to live, not visit, am I right so far?

One poster seems to be saying that if you return to live full time then you're covered  from day one, that's certainly how I read the various guidelines, is that right or not?

Another poster says the guidelines aren't very clear, they seem pretty clear to me, but then he seems to be talking about visitors, surely a person returning to live isn't a visitor, or am I misreading that as well?

I really need to know if I return to the UK permanently am I covered from day one or not? This is really important to me and I need accurate advice, when I visit I buy travel insurance, if I move back I'm not expecting to do so as my cover will be provided out of my taxes and I won't need to buy travel insurance, indeed I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a one way trip.

I apologise to chiang mai for focusing on this in his thread, but it's quite important to me, and I suspect others

32 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

I have to admit that I'm finding the conflicting views on NHS cover for those returning to live confusing, am I the only thick one here?

This thread is about people returning to live, not visit, am I right so far?

One poster seems to be saying that if you return to live full time then you're covered  from day one, that's certainly how I read the various guidelines, is that right or not?

Another poster says the guidelines aren't very clear, they seem pretty clear to me, then he seems to be talking about visitors, surely a person returning to live isn't a visitor, or am I misreading that as well?

I really need to know if I return to the UK permanently am I covered from day one or not? This is really important to me and I need accurate advice, when I visit I buy travel insurance, if I move back I'm not expecting to do so as my cover will be provided out of my taxes and I won't need to buy travel insurance, indeed I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a one way trip.

I apologise to chiang mai for focusing on this in his thread, but it's quite important to me, and I suspect others

The answer is yes, you can be covered from day one AS LONG AS you can convince everyone that you really have moved back permanently and you can prove that, if you can't prove it then you could well be charged. The burden of proof is on you, here's the guidelines that governement has given to the Trusts and the questions they can ask and how your answers may affect the decision to charge or not:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496951/Overseas_visitor_hospital_charging_accs.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/430967/OR_Tool__1_.pdf

11 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

The answer is yes, you can be covered from day one AS LONG AS you can convince everyone that you really have moved back permanently and you can prove that, if you can't prove it then you could well be charged. The burden of proof is on you, here's the guidelines that governement has given to the Trusts and the questions they can ask and how your answers may affect the decision to charge or not:

On the other hand there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the NHS simply accepts everyone at face value http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/if-the-nhs-needs-more-money-why-not-collect-from-health-tourists/