Which borders are open for border run near Chiang Mai?  

Hi, I entered Thailand in Suvanabumi with a visa exampt. I extended it, and it will expire on  Feb 4. I would like to stay until Feb 15, when I’ll leave to Vietnam.

The best option is probably to do a border run. In which close border can I do a border run? I know that Maesai border was closed for border runs, but then read a post that it is about to reopen.  

Thank you ubonjoe. 

There is another report from yesterday on the Chiang Mai digital Nomads FB group of someone crossing and returning from the Mae Sai border for a border run. He received one month, and showed a photo of his passport. 

1 hour ago, user555 said:

Is it possible to get a visa exempt in the border, right after a visa exempt in the airport?

(UK, Besides that I only have an 18 month old visa and a 1 year old airport visa exempt on the passport).

Yes. @ubonjoe would have warned you if that was an issue. Bear in mind, if you intend spending significant time in Thailand going forward, that you are restricted to two visa exempt entries by land in 2017. Use them wisely.

4 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Last week meet a person in CM that just did a visa run to Mae Sai for a visa exempt entry. Burma would not take their USD only 500 Baht. Thai imm gave them 30 days on their visa exempt entry with no questions asked.

I'm called to Mae Sai border but they said to depend on of Burma considering, as well In-Out change to 30 days instead 15 days but limited 2 times per year?

Just did an in/out less than an hour ago at Mae Sai.

No problem without a visa. 

US passport.

30 day stamped permission to stay until Feb 28.

Canadian passport holder next to me without visa got the same 30 day stamp. 

Myanmar immigration did accept my $10 USD, but it was in mint condition.

Edited by SnackmasterB

10 minutes ago, SnackmasterB said:

Canadian passport holder next to me without visa got the same 30 day stamp. 

So he was in Thailand without a visa (on a visa exempt probably from an airport). He then went out of thailand and back in again in Mae Sai, receiving a visa exempt. Is that correct? 

if you have a extension from IMO they don´t will let you out at the Maisai border, only if you have the 30 days from income flight, but after extension at IMO, you have to leave by plane, an before all the samrt TV start trolling, I was at the border in person and I got the information from the staff at the border.

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

if you have a extension from IMO they don´t will let you out at the Maisai border, only if you have the 30 days from income flight, but after extension at IMO, you have to leave by plane, an before all the samrt TV start trolling, I was at the border in person and I got the information from the staff at the border.

My friend had a 30 day extension and he got the 30 days at Mae Sai

15 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

The person I talked to had an extension of their setv from cm imo and last week went to mai sai with only 2 days left on their extension from imo and they were let out of Thailand, went into Burma and then back into Thailand the same day with no problem and received a 30 day visa exemption arrival stamp.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

Thanks chickenrunCM. Your username makes me a bit suspicious - the combination of 'chicken' and 'run' when talking about ... visaruns. So please confirm you are serious. How did it even come up when you were in the border.

Since my visa exempt extension will end in the 4th, but I just want to stay in Thailand until the 15th. I consider to simply go to Mae Sai, pass to Tachileik, stay there for 1 day, and then return to Thailand. I guess this should be ok, no? 

28 minutes ago, user555 said:

Hi everyone, I really need some feedback about this. Should the post of Chicken-Run-CM be taken seriously? If I'll stay 1 need in Myanmar will I be able to enter Thailand the following day? 

No it should not be taken seriously. 

You can cross to Myanmar, turnaround and come right back to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. But you can only do it 2 times this year.

• Like 1