Americans raise $600,000 to rebuild burned Texas mosque

webfact

Americans raise $600,000 to rebuild burned Texas mosque

Though it is unclear how the mosque caught fire, an online fundraiser seeks to raise $850,000 to rebuild Islamic centre.

By Creede Newton

A Texas community has rallied behind its Muslim residents after their mosque burnt to the ground shortly after President Donald Trump signed into effect a "Muslim ban" on refugees and others from seven Muslim-majority countries.

Following the news that their house of worship in southeast Texas was completely destroyed early on Saturday, the Islamic Centre of Victoria set up an online donation drive via GoFundMe to rebuild. It has raised more than $600,000 of its $850,000 goal in 24 hours.

"We were very shocked Saturday morning when we saw the mosque burning," Shahid Hashmi, president of the Islamic Centre, told Al Jazeera.

Full story: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/americans-raise-600000-rebuild-burned-texas-mosque-170129205625913.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2017-01-30

20 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

And there's the problem.....

Alright Craig I hate the bastards and not ashamed. Must be part of my heritage am a direct descendant of King Richard. One day you will all have to wake up and it looks like it will be soon.

5 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Alright Craig I hate the bastards and not ashamed. Must be part of my heritage am a direct descendant of King Richard. One day you will all have to wake up and it looks like it will be soon.

Hate is the problem.  From all sides.

If not Islamophobic arson, then this is just another fund raising effort for another house of worship. So not particularly newsworthy. I'm not overly thrilled by organized religion of any kind, but a core value of Americans is freedom of religion for all. 

From the article in the OP:

Martin Wagner, another donator, had one of the highest-rated comments: "I'm an atheist and I am deeply saddened and disgusted by what was done to you. Religious freedom and freedom from persecution are fundamental rights!"

31 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I've noticed that when certain posters get cornered, they start alleging all sorts of redeeming facts about their life.  I've got news for you. We are virtually all anonymous on this forum and anyone can claim anything for himself or herself. Let's confine ourselves to the topic at hand and to relevant facts that can be established independently of our assertions.

I have never felt cornered in my life let alone on this site where I try to add a bit of sarcasm and mix it with facts. Things I say I say light heartedly and I dont wish them to be taken seriously well all that said I stick to my posts about Tony Kenway and his murder. 

39 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

I have never felt cornered in my life let alone on this site where I try to add a bit of sarcasm and mix it with facts. Things I say I say light heartedly and I dont wish them to be taken seriously well all that said I stick to my posts about Tony Kenway and his murder. 

Ah a man after my own heart stick to your guns. I to like to mix a bit of sarcasm with facts and often I get a few SB's in return but that is OK to. Chin up old chap you do not stand alone. 

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

Well, if you were joking, you certainly put one over on me.