U.S. ban could boost Middle East tourism to Thailand, official says

webfact

U.S. ban could boost Middle East tourism to Thailand, official says

REUTERS

r13.jpg

Tourists visit the Temple of the Dawn during renovations in Bangkok, ThailandJanuary 20, 2017. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand might get more tourists from the Middle East as a result of U.S. President Donald Trump's entry ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries, the head of the tourism authority said on Monday.

"The Middle East is a big market for us, especially in the medical tourism sector. They may choose to visit Thailand more and this may also boost our sector," Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

He said Thailand would need to assess the situation further.

Thailand's military government did not respond to a request for official comment on the ban.

Trump has presented his ban as a way to protect the United States from Islamist militants, but it has been condemned by a growing list of foreign leaders and drawn protests by tens of thousands in American cities.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is the government agency responsible for promoting tourism to Thailand.

Only just over 2 percent of Thailand's tourists came from the Middle East in 2016, but it expects an 8 percent rise in the first quarter of 2017 compared with the year before.

Medical tourism is a growing market for Thailand. The largest operator is Bangkok Dusit Medical Services Pcl. Another is Bumrungrad Pcl..

Muslims represent the second biggest religious group in Thailand behind Buddhists, but make up only about 5 percent of the population.

(Reporting By Pairat Temphairojana; Editing by Matthew Tostevin, Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-31

So let me see here... the tourist who dreamed of visiting the US and all it's glory

will now say, let's go to Thailand instead, it's akin to substituting a 5 star hotel

to a backpackers inn... what a logic....

Yes go to America on a tourist visa and stay as long as you want.

Thailand isn't the same at all and they will figure out real quick the middle eastern Muslims are a lot different than the Thai Muslims. I can see it now they will be getting in fights because the women are not covered up at the beach.

"Thailand might get more tourists from the Middle East as a result of U.S. President Donald Trump's entry ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries,  the head of the tourism authority said ..."

He always seems so happy and excited when Thailand's tourism industry might benefit from another country's misfortune.

I'm wondering if this guy prays for nuclear and natural disasters to befall every country on the planet except for Thailand. 

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, Wallander4 said:

That would keep European tourists even further away for sure so enjoy the iranians

iranians are generally well  behaved so far i personally experienced, please obstain from such statements, because its defaming and i would rather say that northafrican and some other geographic ethnics cause troubles, especially if you observe media in germany , austria and swiss , its mostly reported refering to those groups , just suggesting...

Syrian refugee 1: Well, American is off limits now. Where should we go?

Syrian refugee 2: I hear Thailand will let us stay for whole 15 days, extendable by 15 days, and we only have to report to immigration within 24 hours every time we change cities. They also hate us there and our dark skin. We'll also be charged double or triple the cost of everything, we are forbidden to work, and if you can believe it, their roads are even more dangerous than ours, even though we're at war.

Syrian refugee 1: There are simply no other viable options on the planet. Thailand sounds perfect.

I think wannabe terrorists are too cowardly to face dangers of Thai traffic, bad wiring, pest spray in hotel rooms, etc etc.

Regarding middle east visitors: I'm a Yank & go out of my way to meet and be friendly with those tourists. Usually gracious, well behaved, aware people here to enjoy a vacation. Can't say the same for many of my countrymen.

I'm thinking that Thailand is not going to benefit from Trump's ban on people (Muslims) from 7 countries, many of whom are hoping for refugee status unless those in other countries (with money to spend) decide to boycott America and instead spend their money elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

So let me see here... the tourist who dreamed of visiting the US and all it's glory

will now say, let's go to Thailand instead, it's akin to substituting a 5 star hotel

to a backpackers inn... what a logic....

Yes! That´s the pure fact! Everyone goes to Thailand from now on. Logic or no logic, if they say it is like that.