Seven Europeans fall victim to Filipino card scam in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Good old TV posters, equal opportunity racists, as long as they are Asian they have something bad to say about them, the daft old codgers 

What good u want to say about a gang of Phillipinos scammers who rob ur money and spike ur food and drinks with drugs?

Their good english skills?

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What good u want to say about a gang of Phillipinos scammers who rob ur money and spike ur food and drinks with drugs?

Their good english skills?

Have to spell it out for you? When you get comments saying all Filipinos are like that, then you daft old grave dodgers are being racist

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Have to spell it out for you? When you get comments saying all Filipinos are like that, then you daft old grave dodgers are being racist

You just another example of living in your own reality.most comments refer to that 7 member pinay scam group and ofcourse not positive.

1 hour ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Has anybody ever seen the Filipino women walking soi 4 to cowboy with a small black wallet collecting money for charity? Another scam, sometimes I also see the same women down Pattaya trying to collect of the punters. Beware. 

What brings u to soi cowboy?how u know she is pinay did u verivy her pasport??yes i seen her and now what we do?

17 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What brings u to soi cowboy?how u know she is pinay did u verivy her pasport??yes i seen her and now what we do?

I live in the area and she verified, not verivy her Pinoy not pinay status when I spoke to her. To answer your question, now what we do?? My original post stated - Beware. There is a gang of them around collecting for a bogus charity.  Does this answer your question?

Sounds exactly like the card game scams the Malaysians used to run at the Thai embassy in Penang, back in 1990 91, when guys were doing the Non Immigrant visas run.

I always marveled that guys can be so stupid. But back then ... when I saw it ... most of the time guys were drunk so often the game turned into robbery. But then again every time we would go back down there months later ... in the bar or at the Thai consulate waiting for your passport you would hear about "card game" scams last night.

I think it is some kind of IQ test.  

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Most Filipinos are Catholic - that makes them very superstitious and also means than can get forgiveness for anything. (Apart from abortions and condom use apparently).

Seriously, these "victims" must be gamblerholics or something. Why on earth come to any place on holiday and play cards with people you've just met, in their house, and carry on even though you always loose big amounts?

I find the Philippines the most dangerous country I've visited in SEA. Many Chinese friends say that too. The levels of poverty and corruption there drive so many to crime.

Because they drug u...

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Because they drug u...

Yeah, that is true. I have a friend who was drugged while in the PI. It was the card scam. The only thing that saved him is that he is a very big guy and the dose wasn't powerful enough to make him completely lose his senses. Lucky boy.

wow, no joke this actually nearly happened to me but in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, a friendly woman and her gay friend befriended me, asking me where I'm from then they say they have a family member about to study in the UK and she nervous and they ask me to come and talk to the family member, me being an idiot I got on their bike and went to the house...

next thing I know they are giving me food and tea, I met this old guy, he seems nice but he's the con artist, offers to teach me how to count cards (cheat) in poker or something, wants to get revenge on this woman and get money from her blah blah she comes over the house to play, has tons of money notes

just when the game is nearly over I get a bad feeling something something is not right and take off, thank god I did, I would of been in Trouble, and lost a lot of money if I didn't 

Wow! you must speak fluent Cambodian to get the impression that the game was rigged.And are you seriously telling me that you jumped on a MC with people that you never knew,to a place that you never knew,and played cards with people that you didnt know. The guy was the firm,the women were the shill's and you was the mark.i would have sussed that out in minutes.How long have you been in Asia?.i tell you what, send me your bank account details and i promise i will put some money in it so you can play with them again.

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I've been racist since I was 15. An english boy dated the english girl I fancied in school.??????

When you leave school you might start to learn about the world in general.

Every country in the world has liars, cheats, scammers, ne'erdowells and footpads.

I thought all forms of gambling, except the national lottery, are illegal in Thailand.

Considering that last year a few old timers were arrested and sent to jail for playing a no money involved innocent game of bridge, then therefore all those involved in this high stakes game should be arrested and charged or maybe they will. Those 7 foreigners have no chance of getting their money back, who cares, more fool them.

Looking on Google, it seems like a very common scam.
You're befriended in the street by some Filipinos who invite you for dinner to their apartment to meet their sister who's going to your country and wants to ask you some questions about the trip.
While there, you get seduced and inveigled into a card game where they teach you to count cards and defraud someone else who will arrive shortly.
It looks like an easy, if dishonest way to make money.
However, the reality of it is you're the one to be defrauded and they're all in on it.
They let you win the first few hands to lower your guard and get you to bid big but you end up losing your money and they start getting aggressive, demanding the cash.
People caught by this usually end up too embarrassed to complain.
Even if you were to complain to the police, you're in a difficult situation since you had initially agreed to scam someone else and also gambling is illegal in Thailand with strict penalties.
It relies on your greed to get caught.

40 minutes ago, katana said:

Looking on Google, it seems like a very common scam.
You're befriended in the street by some Filipinos who invite you for dinner to their apartment to meet their sister who's going to your country and wants to ask you some questions about the trip.
While there, you get seduced and inveigled into a card game where they teach you to count cards and defraud someone else who will arrive shortly.
It looks like an easy, if dishonest way to make money.
However, the reality of it is you're the one to be defrauded and they're all in on it.
They let you win the first few hands to lower your guard and get you to bid big but you end up losing your money and they start getting aggressive, demanding the cash.
People caught by this usually end up too embarrassed to complain.
Even if you were to complain to the police, you're in a difficult situation since you had initially agreed to scam someone else and also gambling is illegal in Thailand with strict penalties.
It relies on your greed to get caught.

Yup its classic phillipino scam happens In several asia countries by them.one thing u forgot to menion is that they will put drugs in ur food or drink so they can manipulate u easier.

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

Those Filipinos have been doing this for many years, and they're never

short of victims,  it's a very well know scam and anyone falls for it deserve

to be fleeced of his money......

I was kidnapped by a gang like this in Malaysia, when I was 22 years old. I was never aware of the scam, but had an idea something strange was going on when I was being "taught" how to cheat. I then pulled the rug from under the game during the time they were "playing". I had refused to gable, it is against my morals but they had me playing banker, trying to con me into some kind of debt bond this way instead. Eventually when the game was exposed, in the back streets of a distant suburb of Kuala Lumpur, I was told that if I did not give them 50,000USD they would kill me and leave me in the house to be found. Very lucky for me, the opportunity arose and I talked my way out of it.

I was staying at the Swiss Garden Hotel at the time, and the head of security who had been introduced to me because of my occupation told me that this was common, had happened to several of their guests and a Japanese lady had fallen victim and lost a substantial amount of money to them.

The reason this works, is a combination not only of naive nature of many first time travelers, but the Filipino trait of being excellent talkers and entertainers. The scam itself is obvious but so much stortelling, and then pressure is lumped on the victim that it is hard to process all that is going on and realise the scam is on you, not the guy you have been told to "cheat" on. I can sympathise with the victims, and praise the Police for catching this bottom feeding worms. They not only steal from the unaware, but they also create a fear of interacting with foreigners for many so many of their victims.

22 hours ago, smotherb said:

Tsk, tsk, another short-coming of British-English. Sharks don't play cards, but those who are sharp at cards can take advantage of you.

I think you will find 'shark' and 'sharp' are interchangeable in this context.

In the UK the saying as per the Oxford English Dictionary and correct terminology, is "Card Sharp" and has been since the 16th Century. "Card Shark" seems to be from the US and originates from German Schurke and does not mean the fish known as Shark. As for interchangeability, Card Sharp would tend to be used in a case where someone cheats at cards but there is no criminality involved. Card Shark would tend to be used, as in this case where a criminality is involved with large sums of money being scammed.

On 01/02/2017 at 6:29 AM, ezzra said:

Those Filipinos have been doing this for many years, and they're never

short of victims,  it's a very well know scam and anyone falls for it deserve

to be fleeced of his money......

No one deserves to be fleeced of their money, you have heard of this before, good for you, but I most certainly haven't and would guess thousands of others have not heard of this. Don't be so pompous.