Police stop craft beer talk for fear that building might collapse from too many attendees

snoop1130

Police stop craft beer talk for fear that building might collapse from too many attendees

By Coconuts Bangkok

beer_13.jpg

Photo: Thai Craft Beer Liberation/ Facebook

Craft beer brewers had to cancel their recently scheduled public talk and share their thoughts via Facebook live instead as the police showed concern that the old building they were meeting in could not accommodate so many attendees.

After the arrest of a young craft beer brewer recently sparked debate about the law, which does not support independent brewers, a group called Thai Craft Beer Liberation decided to raise the conversation to another level and planned a public talk about the situation of the Thai craft beer community. The talk was to be held yesterday at The Mystic Rooftop Bar near BTS Saphan Kwai.

However, the day before the talk, Thai Craft Beer Liberation announced via Facebook live that the event was canceled.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/02/01/police-stop-craft-beer-talk-fear-building-might-collapse-too-many-attendees

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-2-1

The beer market in Thailand in 2015 is expected to grow 3–4 percent to 180 billion baht. Singha Corporation is the market leader with a 72 percent share of the market. Thai Beverage has a 24 percent share, and Heineken 4 percent. Thai Asia Pacific Brewery and San Miguel (Thailand) Ltd. were reported to have market shares of 5 percent and 1 percent respectively in 2013.

Thanks Wiki.

180,000,000,000 baht

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

police showed concern that the old building they were meeting in could not accommodate so many attendees

Yeah, right, that's why they stopped the meeting. 

If you could brew with BS the BIB would make a fortune. 

".....for fear that building might collapse". What?

Not long back the usual Thai government military smartheads created a  hotline for "Building About to Collapse".  Who remembers that?

So what is the problem in allowing the beer tasters into the building.

If there looked to be a problem any one of them could have phoned the "BAtC" hotline number which no one would have answered.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. 

So sad what desperate measures the rich elite will go to to not share a single crumb with anyone. And at the same time they brainwash wash people into thinking that they're lucky and should deeply respect them.

Also, had a few Thais ask me what I think of Thai beer. I've been honest and said that it's p***. The look of disappointment on their faces. I usually just smile and say all is good when asked about all things Thai. But sorry, I won't do that with the beer. That's something I care about. 

Edited by rkidlad

As per usual, protecting the entitled at the expense of the average Thai.  Shamefully weak excuses will not protect them forever.  What is jaw dropping is that the General and these people are not even the slightest bit embarrassed by what they say.  The rest of the world crafts its own beer.  Thailand will just have to get with it, or these inspired people should seek their fortunes outside of Thailand.   

If there was any doubt that the "big end of town" run Thailand through its proxies i.e. military and police, this should dispel those doubts.

The big two breweries don't want any competition and will go to extreme lengths to prevent it happening.

I looked into starting a craft brewery in Thailand a couple of years ago, but the laws applying to anyone who wants do do this are so onerous, i.e. capital requirements etc etc, that they ensure no-one is going to start up in competition.

Singha has nothing to worry about though -- the legalizing of craft beer would just have some loss around the edges to younger crowd that will be drawn to craft beer.... as popularity increases the small brewers and recipes that are in demand will get bought out by the larger brewers and all that will happen is that Singha consumption will climb even if market share dilutes a little.

13 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

The beer market in Thailand in 2015 is expected to grow 3–4 percent to 180 billion baht. Singha Corporation is the market leader with a 72 percent share of the market. Thai Beverage has a 24 percent share, and Heineken 4 percent. Thai Asia Pacific Brewery and San Miguel (Thailand) Ltd. were reported to have market shares of 5 percent and 1 percent respectively in 2013.

Thanks Wiki.

180,000,000,000 baht

106%? Looks like they get their stats from the same source as TAT!

28 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Singha has nothing to worry about though -- the legalizing of craft beer would just have some loss around the edges to younger crowd that will be drawn to craft beer.... as popularity increases the small brewers and recipes that are in demand will get bought out by the larger brewers and all that will happen is that Singha consumption will climb even if market share dilutes a little.

The craft beer guys cannot get good deals on ingredients in bulk like someone like Singha could. Craft beers will sell for 120+bt a bottle once they have the excise tax and all that added on. Like you said, Singha could come in and buy some of the small guys, get a better deal on ingredients, keep the price higher and make a better margin. They will diversify their brand all while making more money. They'll  have their own craft brew brand I'm sure also. I don't see where the big guys lose in any of this.

26 minutes ago, WatUp said:

The craft beer guys cannot get good deals on ingredients in bulk like someone like Singha could. Craft beers will sell for 120+bt a bottle once they have the excise tax and all that added on. Like you said, Singha could come in and buy some of the small guys, get a better deal on ingredients, keep the price higher and make a better margin. They will diversify their brand all while making more money. They'll  have their own craft brew brand I'm sure also. I don't see where the big guys lose in any of this.

They lose because it's easier to bribe than to innovate.  They just want their monopoly to continue.  

All thai beerdrinkers that i know LOVE the Hoegaarden whitebeer and say they wished Thai beer was as good.

Come on Singha, brew something of that quality and become hero's...Thai beer is not nice,  i won't drink it.

And reduce size of your bottles but make sure not to lower price. Thank you for that.

10 minutes ago, the donger said:

I know the building, and its the same as any in Saphan kwai. There is actually a hostel inside as well, don't see the police closing that down?

And yet the place is at risk of collapsing !!

Edited by Don Mega

All thai beerdrinkers that i know LOVE the Hoegaarden whitebeer and say they wished Thai beer was as good.

Come on Singha, brew something of that quality and become hero's...Thai beer is not nice,  i won't drink it.

Better still. Open the market for aome real competition. But we will know how that ends. Miss being able to choose some affordable real beer, stout and ale.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I never knew that the Thai police employed building engineers who were able to estimate the building strength and based on 80KG per person to work out that the building would not support the weight of the numbers . . . . 

And then I woke up!

This smacks of prohibition.  Prohibition never worked because it was forced on the majority by the will of the few.  Pretty much the same applies here and I'd venture a guess a certain segment of Thai society pushing the ban are either overly moralistic or are worried about their monopoly.  Eventually the segment of the public who wish to make and enjoy a good craft beer will win the day.  In the US, the day I started drinking micro-brew beer is that day I stopped drinking commercial light lager that I affectionately refer to as panther piss.  It was like the difference between eating a grilled club sandwich as opposed to eating a handful of stale, unsalted crackers.  I never looked back.  Well, until I came to Thailand that is.  Back to panther pee.  Lol  Actually I've stopped drinking beer altogether.  The Thai light lagers really are pretty bad.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

Hoegaarden is the only beer I will drink here. Sadly though its quite expensive. 

I absolutely will not drink Thai beer.