My Funeral

Old Guy

As you see from my on-line name I am getting on in years and my wife has asked me for some money to put aside for my funeral.  I would like to know how much is the cheapest, as both she and I do not have substantial savings.  To me it matters not one iota how lavish or pauper-like it is; it makes no difference whatever to your future in the after-life if there is one -- that depends on how you have lived your life.   St. Peter does not want to look at your bank book !    And I have no desire to be remembered  as a person of any importance, as I am not.    So can someone let me know what is the cheapest cremation around ?   A few notices on the Internet are not really that helpful.  Thanks.

Usually it's a donation to the Temple where you are Cremated...anywhere between 1000 bht to 3000 bht...

To fly your ashes home, by courier is whatever is charged to your country of origin, for a normal parcel. BUT dont declare thats it's Human ashes...that makes a big difference.

Geez...If you need to talk just PM me anytime you want....

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

To me it matters not one iota how lavish or pauper-like it is; it makes no difference whatever to your future in the after-life if there is one

Funerals are not for the deceased, they are for the surviving loved ones.

I agree about doing the cremation on the cheap, but you should make sure that your wife has enough funds to show everyone that she cared for you and can give you a decent send off. Call it "face" if you like.

If you don't put money aside it is quite possible that she will go into debt to pay for a decent funeral.

Just IMHO

Edited by chickenslegs

much of the cost of the funeral is the party that comes before... at least here in the village, that can last for days as to the means of the people. The poorer people have a brief evening with monks visiting then the funeral is the next day...

Decide with your wife how much of a party she might want... then go speak with the local monks if you are to be cremated. 

Nice to think ahead but wish you good health in the meantime...

Several months ago a very good friend and shipmate (Thai) died of heart attack here in Phuket. His family is old-time Phuket, little money but good working folks. Had a nice funeral and cremation with the usual eating fest at the temple, about 20 tables. Family made and brought the food, temple had all the required kitchen, pots, and accouterments. Family served and circulated. All the visitors brought an envelope with some cash, wifey explained it was to pay for the funeral and give some to the family. I gave 3000 baht but that was far more than most because he was a special person for me and most of the other there were if not poor then certainly not well off. Should be relevant to OP situation.

5 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Several months ago a very good friend and shipmate (Thai) died of heart attack here in Phuket. His family is old-time Phuket, little money but good working folks. Had a nice funeral and cremation with the usual eating fest at the temple, about 20 tables. Family made and brought the food, temple had all the required kitchen, pots, and accouterments. Family served and circulated. All the visitors brought an envelope with some cash, wifey explained it was to pay for the funeral and give some to the family. I gave 3000 baht but that was far more than most because he was a special person for me and most of the other there were if not poor then certainly not well off. Should be relevant to OP situation.

Same as with our Thai aunt who died November last.

After the seven days prayers our uncle (70) went round to his local market. Everyone referred to him as the 'red plate widow'.

Very funny, even he had to laugh.

Dear Mr Old Guy.

If you do not have enough savings to pay for a decent funeral, maybe both for you and your wife, then how would you cope in the case of a medical emergency or you became ill and required expensive medical treatments?

It means as an old person you have come to Thailand relying on luck rather then having anything behind you for a rainy day and you could end up being a charity case as some many others do that come here ill prepared.

What you can do is go to the temple and ask how much for the most basic form of pauper funeral. My guess is about 10000 baht, if your body is not kept too long and they do the usual poor man`s funeral that is, take the body out to a field somewhere, throw on some old rubber types and bits of wood, then just set it alight. 

"...my wife has asked me for some money to put aside for my funeral…."

Very strange (and if I may say, inappropriate) request from an asian women. They are usually pretty superstitious about even bringing such things up.

Tell her the cash will be in an envelope in your coat pocket when the moment finally arrives.

Edited by JHolmesJr

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Dear Mr Old Guy.

If you do not have enough savings to pay for a decent funeral, maybe both for you and your wife, then how would you cope in the case of a medical emergency or you became ill and required expensive medical treatments?

It means as an old person you have come to Thailand relying on luck rather then having anything behind you for a rainy day and you could end up being a charity case as some many others do that come here ill prepared.

What you can do is go to the temple and ask how much for the most basic form of pauper funeral. My guess is about 10000 baht, if your body is not kept too long and they do the usual poor man`s funeral that is, take the body out to a field somewhere, throw on some old rubber types and bits of wood, then just set it alight. 

I think the last part of your post is .... i,m sorry but right now i can,t think of

a word to describe it. not helpful to the OP

Really depends where you live and the community. We are going through it right now father in law died last Tuesday. He was cremated Wednesday and every day till Sunday food is provided for all comers no booze it's not a done thing in our village. Mil stands the cost off all the food and water soft drinks monks and everything needed for cremation ceremony.  The locals supply all the man power needed for the cooking cleaning and anything else to do with the food. MIL estimates she has spent 20k so far by the time the big final party has happened on Sunday my guess would be close to 50k. She will get upwards of 30k back which has already been given and I am told Sunday will swell those coffers a whole lot more. So after she donates to temple and monks I see her outlay as about 15k.

To Mr. Cyber Farang.

Yes you are right -- I also am worried about a serious illness.  The only asset we have is the house which is (by law) in my wife's name but fully paid for.  So it would have to be sold, whether for death or serious illness.   I am sure I am not the only farang which lives hand-to mouth (I am on a U.K. pension which has been frozen).  Your suggestion re 10,000 baht to the monks and then the rubber tyre is fine by me -- as I said earlier the disposal method has no bearing on any future after-life.  But I appreciate Oldgent's sympathy. So I am now saving 1,000 each month from my income and putting it safely into an envelope !  Thanks everybody for your input.

From the funerals I attended, I would recommend the following for a low cost funeral:
- keep body in temple (not at home) before burning.
- keep it simple with the funeral package (they usually have a low cost package, box, flowers etc)
- 3-4 monks is enough for praying at temple
- keep bones/ash in Thailand

So depending how many envelopes you get, the cost would be minimal to max 50k. (In case you don't get envelopes)

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

To Mr. Cyber Farang.

Yes you are right -- I also am worried about a serious illness.  The only asset we have is the house which is (by law) in my wife's name but fully paid for.  So it would have to be sold, whether for death or serious illness.   I am sure I am not the only farang which lives hand-to mouth (I am on a U.K. pension which has been frozen).  Your suggestion re 10,000 baht to the monks and then the rubber tyre is fine by me -- as I said earlier the disposal method has no bearing on any future after-life.  But I appreciate Oldgent's sympathy. So I am now saving 1,000 each month from my income and putting it safely into an envelope !  Thanks everybody for your input.

Your house by law has not been legally purchased. And if the house had to be sold then your wife is left with nothing. If you die your UK pension probably dies with you.

How do you manage to get your 800000 baht a year for retirement extension? Surely that should be more than enough to cover funeral expenses when you die. Saving 1000 baht a month is 12000 baht a year. You would be lucky if that amount could cover even 1 night in a private hospital for a serious illness. 

Does your Thai wife realise that if anything happens to you she would be up the creek without a paddle? Homeless and left without any support or income when you are floating about in the after life. Sorry if you don`t like what I am saying, but the truth is the truth.

The cost of funerals varies a lot in Thailand.

If can only afford a paupers funeral, it is possible to have a cremation in a rubbish tip type service, when the body is taken for burning on an old cart to a field for under 10000 baht. Proper Christian burials in a cemetery start from about 100000 baht. It depends on how much lavish the family expect from a funeral service. It is also possible if a service is held at a temple and want to make a substantial donation, to have a bench or a tree planted with an inscribed name plaque as a memorial to the deceased installed at the temple.

More matters that need to be addressed:

·  Inform embassy

·  Inform will executor

·  Advise on estate matters

·  Provide assistance with funeral arrangements

·  Assist in arranging repatriation where necessary

Considering that in the majority of cases Thai wives would not have a clue what to do when a Farlang spouse dies, then it is the responsibility of the Farlang spouse to have all the formalities prepared and in place before they die, rather then leaving others in confusion trying to sort out their affairs.

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Your house by law has not been legally purchased. And if the house had to be sold then your wife is left with nothing. If you die your UK pension probably dies with you.

How do you manage to get your 800000 baht a year for retirement extension? Surely that should be more than enough to cover funeral expenses when you die. Saving 1000 baht a month is 12000 baht a year. You would be lucky if that amount could cover even 1 night in a private hospital for a serious illness. 

Does your Thai wife realise that if anything happens to you she would be up the creek without a paddle? Homeless and left without any support or income when you are floating about in the after life. Sorry if you don`t like what I am saying, but the truth is the truth.

Why would his wife be left with nothing if she sold the house? It is in her name. I agree, somewhat, that purchasing a house (land) in a wife's name may not be strictly legal, but do you know of anyone who has had a house or other assets seized in these circumstances - I doubt it very much.

Man married to a Thai does not need 800,000 in the bank. I believe it is 400,000 or the equivalent annual income.

Some people may have been here long enough to qualify for an extension with a lower income, under the 'grandfathering' system (but I'm not certain).

Suggesting that his wife will be left homeless - Now that is just scaremongering.

Edited by chickenslegs

Mr. Cyber Farang

Why do you say the house has not been legally purchased ?  It has.  I brought cash over from the U. K. and gave it to my (Thai) wife and she immediately paid for the house.  In fact she even got a small loan based on the surety last year.  So she would not be homeless.  She would also get a pension from my former Company, albeit small.   And, yes, I have written out full instructions.

I need not declare my income to the Thai authorities because  I splashed out on Permanent Residence a few years back.

Biggest problem is, as you say, severe illness.  I have no insurance, but who else over 80 does have ?  Just hope my death is quick, that's all !

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The cost of funerals varies a lot in Thailand.

If can only afford a paupers funeral, it is possible to have a cremation in a rubbish tip type service, when the body is taken for burning on an old cart to a field for under 10000 baht. Proper Christian burials in a cemetery start from about 100000 baht. It depends on how much lavish the family expect from a funeral service. It is also possible if a service is held at a temple and want to make a substantial donation, to have a bench or a tree planted with an inscribed name plaque as a memorial to the deceased installed at the temple.

More matters that need to be addressed:

·  Inform embassy

·  Inform will executor

·  Advise on estate matters

·  Provide assistance with funeral arrangements

·  Assist in arranging repatriation where necessary

Considering that in the majority of cases Thai wives would not have a clue what to do when a Farlang spouse dies, then it is the responsibility of the Farlang spouse to have all the formalities prepared and in place before they die, rather then leaving others in confusion trying to sort out their affairs.

Claptrap!

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Mr. Cyber Farang

Why do you say the house has not been legally purchased ?  It has.  I brought cash over from the U. K. and gave it to my (Thai) wife and she immediately paid for the house.  In fact she even got a small loan based on the surety last year.  So she would not be homeless.  She would also get a pension from my former Company, albeit small.   And, yes, I have written out full instructions.

I need not declare my income to the Thai authorities because  I splashed out on Permanent Residence a few years back.

Biggest problem is, as you say, severe illness.  I have no insurance, but who else over 80 does have ?  Just hope my death is quick, that's all !

Incorrect. But I don`t want to go into detail to avoid diverting the subject of this thread. So look it up yourself.

The second point is a good example as to why in Thailand expats should have a nest egg enough to cover medical and funeral expenses and also leave adequate funding support for their Thai wives after death. 

11 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Incorrect. But I don`t want to go into detail to avoid diverting the subject of this thread. So look it up yourself.

The second point is a good example as to why in Thailand expats should have a nest egg enough to cover medical and funeral expenses and also leave adequate funding support for their Thai wives after death. 

Don't worry, it is an allusion to a husband not being able to provide the cash for a wife to purchase land/property. The purchase should be in a Thai wife's personal estate ie sin suan tua rather than sin som ros (common property).

You need not be concerned, the Land Office processed the purchase (and would have taken a standard waiver if appropriate) and issued the chanote and, as further evidence, your wife was able to raise cash against the asset. She will be watertight.

If you want to do as cyberfarang suggested you could read through The Thailand Civil and Commercial Code (sections 1471/1472) or look at a website like Samui for sale.

32 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Don't worry, it is an allusion to a husband not being able to provide the cash for a wife to purchase land/property. The purchase should be in a Thai wife's personal estate ie sin suan tua rather than sin som ros (common property).

You need not be concerned, the Land Office processed the purchase (and would have taken a standard waiver if appropriate) and issued the chanote and, as further evidence, your wife was able to raise cash against the asset. She will be watertight.

If you want to do as cyberfarang suggested you could read through The Thailand Civil and Commercial Code (sections 1471/1472) or look at a website like Samui for sale.

I have been with my Girlfriend for many years. We are of similar age. I am on a yearly retirement extension and we rent a very nice house from her brother in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai that he inherited from his grandparents.  My girlfriend would like us to get married, buy her brother`s house, my money of course, and buy a plot of lum yai land about 3 rai. But for the time being I can not see any good reasons to get married considering we do not have children together and I am here based on retirement. I do financially support my GF 100%. Also, I cannot see any benefits for me if I invest in a home land and property that I can never legally own and have no claims on if I marry and my Thai wife dies or if the marriage ends in divorce. The deck of cards are always going to be stacked against me, so at the moment it pays my girlfriend and her family to be nice as no one has any claims on me. I have substantial savings and my GF will be well provided for in the event of my death and I am well covered if I should fall ill or for funeral expenses when I kick the bucket. I will never become a charity case.

My company pension has a clause that if I die before my wife she would receive my full pension. This means I probably will marry her in the future for this reason, but I will decide when the time is right for me. Unlike the OP I would never have moved to Thailand unless I was secure just like when I lived in the UK and do not recommended anyone else doing what the OP has done living in fear and hoping to die quick because the situation sucks.

22 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Really depends where you live and the community. We are going through it right now father in law died last Tuesday. He was cremated Wednesday and every day till Sunday food is provided for all comers no booze it's not a done thing in our village. Mil stands the cost off all the food and water soft drinks monks and everything needed for cremation ceremony.  The locals supply all the man power needed for the cooking cleaning and anything else to do with the food. MIL estimates she has spent 20k so far by the time the big final party has happened on Sunday my guess would be close to 50k. She will get upwards of 30k back which has already been given and I am told Sunday will swell those coffers a whole lot more. So after she donates to temple and monks I see her outlay as about 15k.

So the final figures on spending are in after doing the last of the shopping for tomorow party the out lay is including  the Temple fees for the cremation is 70k. 60k food/soft drinks ect ect and 10K temple cremation fee 1500 + donation.

monks I have no idea they will be given a donation by MIL which will be a private thing.

As of 8am this morning head man tells me the donations from friends/family/neighbours is 64,346 bht

And more will be given as the vast majority of friends will turn up tm for party. He belives it will be well over 80k.

So in the end Mil and family will not have spent much in reality, although its not about money, but the pride of giving husband/father (in law) a great thai send off.

Edited by Deepinthailand

I've been here 8 years and I've never seen or heard of anyone being loaded onto a cart with a few tyres to be burnt in a field or a rubbish tip. But I've seen some extremely poor people die. I think the local temple would stand for a cremation of a penniless local. Even the poorest have some sort of gathering there, there may not be much food but with a few donations something will happen. A lot depends on the family, if the OPs wife is joined by them then it will be taken care of. In my experience it never happens that the amount of cash in the envelopes exceeds the amount spent though.

My Girlfriend's Grandad died 2 years ago and I and her sister put in about 20,000 baht each to pay for the monk's and food etc.

All the guest's bring money and we collected about 12,000 baht so all in the funeral and party cost me about 8000 baht.

It's not expensive and your wife will know how to handle things, I'm sure.

Edited by RawboneFunksta

On 2/3/2017 at 4:46 AM, Old Guy said:

To Mr. Cyber Farang.

You most definitely are not the only pensioner living hand-to-mouth in Thailand but, unlike others in a similar situation, you sound like you're carrying it with dignity, mate.

Good luck to you