Visa exemption extension in Chiang Mai -- have I got this right?

Hi Guys,
Just trying to make sure I've got this right when it comes to getting an extension on my 30 day visa exempt in Chiang Mai... do I need to worry about TM30 (filed by landlord) or TM28 (filed by me)?

1) Get TM30 signed by my landlord
2) File TM30 with Chiang Mai office
3) file visa exemption, with
- passport photos
- 1900 THB
- proof of onward travel
- TM6 departure card
- Bank deposit printout showing at least 20,000 THB equivalent

A TM28 will not be required. I do not have experience of trying to extend a tourist entry in Chiang Mai but, if you are not staying in a hotel, what I have read about Chiang Mai immigration suggests the TM30 may be required, in which case the procedure you suggest (TM30 first, then extension) seems right.

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

They don't ask for TM30 proof from tourists.

Only 1900 baht, copy passport, entry stamp, departure card and passport photo.

Plus the form that has to be filled in. You know ....why do you want to stay in Thailand etc.

If you wait to get there and do your photo copies (next door), the girls know exactly what to do.

Edited by Gillyflower

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

A passport photo, your full address written down, 1900 Baht and photocopies of your passports few pages will be sufficient .

You're exactly correct. Im sitting here at CM immigration with my friend who just received an extension for VE. I hope this sets the record straight. 

2 minutes ago, Jamin123 said:

You're exactly correct. Im sitting here at CM immigration with my friend who just received an extension for VE. I hope this sets the record straight. 

It will take about an hour to process...............just enough time for a KFC :smile:

HI, 

Probably a question asked a 1000 times, but any help would be very much appreciated. Does the 30 days extension get added on top of the 30 day exemption i.e = 60 days total from arrival; or does the 30 extension start from when you apply at the office, cutting short any remaining days of your exemption?? 

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about this :(  

5 hours ago, Beyondthought said:

HI, 

Probably a question asked a 1000 times, but any help would be very much appreciated. Does the 30 days extension get added on top of the 30 day exemption i.e = 60 days total from arrival; or does the 30 extension start from when you apply at the office, cutting short any remaining days of your exemption?? 

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about this :(  

It is added to your current stay.

You don't need the proof of funds either.

I wrote a guide based on my experience last month. Lot of conflicting information around, but you have everything you need.

What You Need

• Passport
  • Departure Card
  • Application Form TM7 (2 pages on 1 sheet, double sided)
  • 6 x 4 cm photo (x 1)
  • Copy: Passport Main Page With Photo (x 1)
  • Copy: Pages Containing Visa & Arrival Stamp (x 1)
  • 1900 THB Cash
  • Local address
  • Pen
  • Patience

What You Don’t Need

• Proof Of Onward Travel
  • Proof Of Funds
  • Two Copies Of Everything
  • To Be Somewhere Else

Print & Copies

Many online sources say you need two copies of everything - but you don’t.  Don’t waste your time (as i did) completing two forms. Save the trees. All the forms & photos etc are available on site, so you don't need to prepare all in advance - you can but you will end up wasting more time.

I'd attach the guide here, it has more useful tips, but it exceeds the file size limit. Contact me if you want it.