Did we make them this bitter?

wump

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/2/2017 at 10:12 AM, louse1953 said:

I went to all the tourist ghettos before they were  famous and the Thai people were friendly and helpful.Then the farang hordes came and everything changed,for the worse.I never go to those places now because they are stuffed.

I visit the tourist resorts in the Philippines all the time, and they are all really nice and  polite.

When I visit the tourist resorts in Thailand it's really scary in comparison.

The tourists themselves are equally obnoxious.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Ferangs who say we have no interest in Thai Culture make me Smile .Is the German a big fan of red faced Men in Leather Shorts slapping their knees going to be a Crowd Puller.English Men dancing round Maypole can be watched more than once by anyone other than followers.My Wife's not bitter I have no interest in her Culture, I can't do their ear shattering Parties,give money to Monks Whoes Boss has A Maybach,from interest in Sukhothai Rock-pile,but I've still yet to meet a Thai who doesn't secretly feel the same, or is bitter about us.?[emoji959]?‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There is definitely a difference between touristy areas and upcountry areas. As a fluent Thai speaker, I definitely see a difference in attitude. The problem IMO is that in touristy areas, Thais are used to see the classical "old fat balding drunk smoking bloke" treating them like shit. I agree that most tourists are nice, but there are occasionally some troublemakers who show total disrespect for the rules and culture, and we always remember the worst - we remember the 1% that went bad, not the 99% that went good.

We must understand that we live in their country and should be grateful towards them for accepting us here. While I'm not Buddhist, I still "wai" at small shrines in the presence of Thai people.

Thais always welcome "good" foreigners, i.e. the ones who show interest in their culture, learn the language, and bring something to the country (money, skills, volunteering, etc.). They are adverse of the "bad" foreigners, i.e. the ones who live here with back-to-back tourist visas, only speak English and expect Thais to speak "the universal language", and have "extended knowledge" of Thailand due to their years on Walking Street.