International Transfer out of TH

I have run into a small problem with my bank. Kasikorn won't allow me to wire money out of TH without a valid work permit. I used to work here for over 10 years, but at this time I am staying on a tourist visa. The staff at Kasikorn was very unhelpful and said "use Western Union". Of course that is no option. Are there any ways to wire a small amount out the country? It needs to be from an account in my own name.

I have had the same problem. No branch would do it, even the Kbank Business Centre.  I got around it by using a Thai friend to come with me, and with cash in hand transfer it from their Thai account to my account overseas. I know it doesn't meet your requirements as it isn't directly from your account however without a work permit i found Kasikorn simply refused to do it. I have experienced this for about 12 months now.

Edited by Lostpack3t

You can use the international branches of Bangkok Bank or your local Bangkok Bank Western Union Counter. You do not need an account or a work permit but you do need a document to prove the source of the funds you are sending for Anti-money laundering purposes. I have sent B1 Million to Australia via BBL International Branch.

I had a similar problem a while ago, but then the bank manager accepted that as I had an old work permit I could use that as proof of where the funds came from and sent the money They only agreed to that because I kicked up a big fuss

Find one of your countrymen who wants to bring in some Baht.  Then agree a rate and do a simultaneous transfer from your thai bank to his thai bank (or simply use cash) and local currency from his "home" bank to yours...

Better if it's someone you know and trust...

A load of very naive nonsense being talked so far!

The restrictions on overseas funds transfers exist courtesy of the BOT, the Thai Baht is not a fully convertible currency hence the banks are simply following the rules supplied by the central bank.

BUT you can transfer funds overseas if you meet the well defined criteria for doing so, one of which states that funds brought into the country can be exported, as long as you can prove they were brought in in the first place - simply, keep hold of the paperwork when you transfer money into Thailand then you can take it out again.

Also, funds earned here under a work permit can be exported as long as you can prove they were indeed earned here. If a bank refuses to transfer out under those conditions they are simply being lazy, go find another branch that will oblige.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:37 AM, chiang mai said:

A load of very naive nonsense being talked so far!

The restrictions on overseas funds transfers exist courtesy of the BOT, the Thai Baht is not a fully convertible currency hence the banks are simply following the rules supplied by the central bank.

BUT you can transfer funds overseas if you meet the well defined criteria for doing so, one of which states that funds brought into the country can be exported, as long as you can prove they were brought in in the first place - simply, keep hold of the paperwork when you transfer money into Thailand then you can take it out again.

Thanks for your kind reply. Do you know if the BOT restrictions apply to all transfers out of TH? I would think they might be considered for larger amounts, but how about a small amount like 300 or 500$ = less than 20k THB. After all WU and similar services don't follow those rules at all, but transfers are limited to smaller amounts ... just wondering ...

8 minutes ago, faxx said:

Thanks for your kind reply. Do you know if the BOT restrictions apply to all transfers out of TH? I would think they might be considered for larger amounts, but how about a small amount like 300 or 500$ = less than 20k THB. After all WU and similar services don't follow those rules at all, but transfers are limited to smaller amounts ... just wondering ...

Technically the rules apply to any amount, no matter how small, various posters have however reported no problems in sending money overseas hence the findings are mixed - the variables will be the bank, the branch and the person you speak to, I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Except perhaps to add that I recently got online banking from my bank in Thailand, UOB, which allows me to transfer 300k per time, an amount that can be increased to 1.5mill., I haven't tried it yet so I can't say what barriers might exist.

• 3 months later...
On 2017-2-3 at 5:31 PM, johng said:

Try lots of different Kasikorn bank branches eventually you'll find one that will do the transfer....I can only imagine your branch didn't want the hassle and/or didn't know how to do it !

I tried allowed one transfer pattaya international bank told me no more ! Gave me a list of Q ok get all the paper work my solicitor gave all the paper work 100% complete,  went back still refused even though my money all amphur taxation paid what i sold i had no work permit i did not work in thailand all my own money and they still said NO we cant transfer you dont have work permit , they knew from a devoirce settlement i got screwed in thai u will never win even if u r right . My lawyer supplied all still not good enough tried bkk same tried many Kasikorn NO . Why its my money i can do pn internet in my country and send , here no hope , its government banking laws they state .but its my money ! Yes we know still cant do . Why dont you go atm take out and do western unioun ! Answer they are a rip off.  Ok when go your country u allowed take $20,000 US out ok take equivalent in Aussie dollars thats what i did and milked the rest from atm in home country, thats there answer so i did . Do not leave money in thailand banks ! Unless u transfer in from home country can take same out . Mine was caught up in a devoirce sp settlement was different even though after paying my solicitor to do as they requested filled out all the paper work Kasikorn bank required still knocked me back wasted my money my time on solicitors they are not at fault they were stunned when o told them so now there warning there clients whats the new army banking laws on farangs are there excuse. Amazing Thailand again.I will never leave more than what i need in there banks example visa's etc, i learnt my lesson dont trust them ,they are moving into the dark ages , there answer Kasikorn international banking + bkk gave me same answer,  all excuse it could of come from illegal work or drugs . Even though they had all the proof , paperwork, ids , it came from selling properties u not thai can not own , oh here we go again !! If you American no problem but you not work that out ,They can own land or anything you can not ! ok , i had it in a company name ! all share holders agreed and we sold money split up all legal ? whats the problem now . Just such a racist country its changed so much from the 70s , 80s to the 90s until now is the worst  , we or they got the shinawatra clan in were bad enough , now this jaunta lot is nanny government wowww they r something else ,they are so out there out of touch with reality no wonder crime up and through the roof ! no jobs have to feed the family some how , like a pol pot era without exterminating your people just starve them to death via unemployment and close down bars is there answer . No wonder every ones leaving " with such quality tourist as the Chinese and Russians + lndia who spend no money just go 7/11 or family mart for a drink google at girls from the street woww what quality tourist no money spent in thailand at all go there country's owned resteraunt and hotels , all in the coffers of there home country before they leave , tourist operators have . Take it out in cash while u can or a trusted  3 rd party to send to your required bank or country . Good luck

You just need to find a more intelligent way. Just like an exchange service, you pay in one country and they pay you out in another. Not rocket science. That way your money doesn't need to leave the country.

It's the way it has worked within some communities for decades and beyond. Peer to peer networks.

Imagine it this way. Aussie lives in Thailand but also has a bank account in Australia. You are going back to Oz. He needs baht, you need AU$. You give him your baht, he transfers AU$ to your Aussie bank account from his Aussie bank account. You decide to do this at the spot rate.

Everyone is happy. There are peer to peer companies that do just this. They handle the deal and take their cut.

Edited by JamJar

• 6 months later...