Tip of the day: Don’t go out in Pattaya wearing gold, as yet another foreign tourist is robbed

rooster59

Second winter of living in Pattaya...  I go out often until the wee hours.  Never seem to have problems with anyone, but, I don't wear designer clothing or fancy gold jewelry, nor do I misbehave or get stinking drunk.  To do so is to invite problems...  there are a whole lot of poor people in this city and country.  Personally I am thankful for the peacocks who want to flaunt their gold because they attract the thieves which makes things safer for me!  ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I think that if you go out in San Francisco at 3AM wearing a gold necklace you are also putting yourself at risk, especially if drunk.  Depends on the neighborhood.  I suspect these people were somewhere near Walking Street.  That's where I got my stuff snatched by a ladyboy one night.  

Perhaps. I arrived in Pattaya  after a long flight and could not sleep, so went for a walk down the beach road at around 4am. I'm wide awake and sober. A scooter stopped next to me and a ladyboy jumped off the back and tried to hug me ... a precursor to robbery, when I pushed her back and it was clear I was not drunk he/she high tailed it on the bike. A near miss. 

4 hours ago, does said:

Maybe I am missing something, but why do people wear gold to begin with? Is it just showing off?

In a word.

Pretentiousness.

Meaning:

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed".

Pathetic insecure people.

3 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

In a word.

Pretentiousness.

Meaning:

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed".

Pathetic insecure people.

Like the UK's Remoaners or the US's so called Hollywood stars oh and madonna

DUH! What on earth would anyone go out in any big city wearing any gold, or an expensive watch, in a third world country, much less Pattaya? Does that not seem like it is asking for trouble? Why not be prudent? Does showing off your gold really mean that much? 

I also fully support these criminal chain snatchers because  these stupid tourist with their silly golden chains are just asking for it.They have poorly prepared for their Pattaya holiday and so deserve all the misery.

Does comments like this make any sense? Not really but i read them here quite often.

4 hours ago, wealthychef said:

In downtown San Francisco one night after a basketball game, a friend of mine was beaten savagely in order to steal an iphone from him.  His face required reconstructive surgery.  So the moral is what, don't go to San Francisco with a phone?  

No that's not the moral. It was probably dark out and a crappy part of San Fran and he was probably holding it in his hand and maybe playing with it and the creep chose him to beat up because other people had phones in their pockets and were paying attention to that same creep and did not go near him.  The moral is leave valuables out of sight and pay attention when walking around at night a little. 

7 hours ago, mic59 said:

Whenever I go to Thailand(or anywhere in SE Asia) I leave all my valuables at home and buy a cheapo  watch for the duration. And just carry round as much money as I need at a time, usually not terribly much.  

Same here. Just common sense really. All you need is an ATM card in a money belt.

9 hours ago, does said:

Maybe I am missing something, but why do people wear gold to begin with? Is it just showing off?

Mainly worn by impecunious scum to compensate for their real shortcomings thinking an ostentatious show of a relatively low amount of wealth will enhance their status. It amounts to nothing more than a vulgar attempt to resemble a Xmas tree.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Same here. Just common sense really. All you need is an ATM card in a money belt.

parading round with your money belt is just as silly as the people walking round with their golden chains untill ofcourse police gets more serious about locking up thieves.friends of mine an uk couple in pattaya got mucked in soi nernplawan under gun point in dark part while driving their motorbike had to give money belts phones etc.we are all targets with or without chains if police not doing their job.

25 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

parading round with your money belt is just as silly as the people walking round with their golden chains untill ofcourse police gets more serious about locking up thieves.friends of mine an uk couple in pattaya got mucked in soi nernplawan under gun point in dark part while driving their motorbike had to give money belts phones etc.we are all targets with or without chains if police not doing their job.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about a "fanny pack" just a belt with a little pocket at the back.

To be honest, I stick it in my sock, but don't tell anyone.

8 hours ago, wvavin said:

The moral of the story is; Personal firearms are needed if you are out along the streets & roads of Thailand. 

Pros and cons to this one. Me I hate firearms in every way shape or form. Unless you have the proper licencing and all the t crossed and i dotted on the paperwork you could end up in the Bangkok Hilton. Then you never know the history of a used firearm. It could be deadly and traced back to you the present owner. The BIB likes these neatly wrapped parcels giftwrapped. 

11 hours ago, champers said:

Not even an average of 1 incident per day at the height of high season. For a city of this size with so many visitors here as well, some posters are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not a crime wave, it's barely a ripple. I sympathise with the victims but a lack of forewarning combined with their own poor judgement contribute to the problem.

Uh, what you MEANT to say was not even 1 incident per day REPORTED, and reported here on TV...   'Should get your facts and your suppositions straight.   You're right about judgment having to do with the problem.   But perhaps there are some who might not feel that their lodging is secure enough to leave valuable jewelry there. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Beat me to it, seems like the thieves figure that by this time of night the victims will be oiled up enough not put up much of a struggle !!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

And there aren't many police about, and the cover of darkness helps.

Mind you, mine got snatched off my neck in broad daylight!

Better off without it, I regard a gold chain as rather a badge of foolishness in Pattaya.

Tips of the CENTURY !!!

If you don't come to Thailand:

• You won't get robbed in Pattaya.
  • You won't fall of a balcony in Bangkok.
  • You won't get involved in a road accident due to crazy monkeys on yaba behind the wheel.
  • You won't get raped and killed on Koh Tao.
  • You won't drown on Ko Pha Ngan.
  • You won't get mugged in Phuket.
  • You won't ...

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

No that's not the moral. It was probably dark out and a crappy part of San Fran and he was probably holding it in his hand and maybe playing with it and the creep chose him to beat up because other people had phones in their pockets and were paying attention to that same creep and did not go near him.  The moral is leave valuables out of sight and pay attention when walking around at night a little. 

He was in a well-lit BART station called Powell Street, not a crappy part of town where you'd expect this kind of thing.  It did not happen as you suppose.  Sure he had his phone out but in my view he did nothing like wear a gold chain on Walking Street at 3AM.  

A boat load of victim blaming here.  The truth is that Thailand is not fully developed and you have to accept a higher level of risk living in a third world country, but one of the attractions of living in Thailand vs. say Columbia is that it is supposedly much safer.  I always feel safe here, even after getting robbed once, because I do know that the one time it happened to me I was pretty stupid about my personal security. 

2 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

There should be signs put up at all international airports in Thailand but that may put a few tourists off and we cant have that can we.

Actually I've seen signs like that at certain touristy places here in Thailand, saying watch out for purse snatchings.  I think people here are a bit over-critical at times and make a lot of assumptions that are just not true.  Not everything is about corruption here.  

3 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

There should be signs put up at all international airports in Thailand but that may put a few tourists off and we cant have that can we.

1 hour ago, FredNL said:

Tips of the CENTURY !!!

If you don't come to Thailand:

• You won't get robbed in Pattaya.
  • You won't fall of a balcony in Bangkok.
  • You won't get involved in a road accident due to crazy monkeys on yaba behind the wheel.
  • You won't get raped and killed on Koh Tao.
  • You won't drown on Ko Pha Ngan.
  • You won't get mugged in Phuket.
  • You won't ...

You won't get laid

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

Actually I've seen signs like that at certain touristy places here in Thailand, saying watch out for purse snatchings.  I think people here are a bit over-critical at times and make a lot of assumptions that are just not true.  Not everything is about corruption here.  

Can u upload a photo of that because its fake news what u claiming

Archived