Sick of rice!

akirasan

16 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

that rendang looks mighty fine, my favorite fer lunch when I was workin' in Jakarta many years ago...you're doin' a lot better than me...we ain't got no beef not even in the supermarket in the provincial capital...gotsta make do with pork, chicken and river fish...we can get frozen ground beef at makro which is OK fer the chili and the spag bog...meatloaf some times, half pork, half beef, etc...

and yeah...if I approach a produce section inna supermarket that has pre - wrapped items (like at Big C) I turn around and walk out...they gots to be kidding...

RENDANG ! Makes me literally salivate. My favourite in both Malaysia and Indonesia, and in Indo always accompanied by a thick calorie and vitamin bomb called JUS ALPUKAT (Avocado Juice), with a COKLAT (chocolate) topping on top....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Basically I eat eggs etc every morning, sandwich for lunch and dinner is up basically to my wife. I have made suggestion accompanied with recipes (got online). She seems to enjoy making different things.... doesn't really participate in Western cuisine. 

I've also started my kitchen adventure. lol Recently we've made a number of things I've craved from U.S. I also started making things in our crock pot. I love the crock pot. I even made some tasty stew.... not beef stew but pork. So..... have at it.

On 2/13/2017 at 2:58 PM, Mister Fixit said:

I m often down my local market and most stallholders know me now.  I can speak reasonable Thai and get on well with them.  They seem to like the farang wandering round and always chat.  

The veg are always fresher and not individually wrapped as in the  supermarket either.  

I often get my beef from there as the beef in my local Tesco is rubbish.  I made a lovely pot roast 2 weeks ago with a nice piece of topside I had bought.  It took 21 1/2 to  hours to cook though, and needed very minute of the time.  

Then I had a shin of beef from there a while back and froze it.  I made rendang with that last week and it was amazing.  

another option with tough beef is pot au feu that I useta do a lot in VN...onions, carrots, potatoes and whatever beef (we had leeks and celery available in VN) and then cook stove top until the beef is chewable...

I had a colleague from France when I worked there and we useta confer regarding the best way to proceed with the available ingredients...useta turn out pretty good, make a big pot and it'd do fer supper fer 3 days...mash up the tatties and carrots in the liquid with some nice bread, etc...

4 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

another option with tough beef is pot au feu that I useta do a lot in VN...onions, carrots, potatoes and whatever beef (we had leeks and celery available in VN) and then cook stove top until the beef is chewable...

I had a colleague from France when I worked there and we useta confer regarding the best way to proceed with the available ingredients...useta turn out pretty good, make a big pot and it'd do fer supper fer 3 days...mash up the tatties and carrots in the liquid with some nice bread, etc...

Pottage:

Pottage is an obsolete term for a thick soup or stew made by boiling vegetables, grains, and, if available, meat or fish,. As explained in The Oxford Companion to Food, it was a staple food for many centuries. The word pottage comes from the same Old French root as potage, meaning a similar dish of more recent origin.

[...]

Pottage was typically boiled for several hours until the entire mixture took on a homogeneous texture and flavour; this was intended to break down complex starches and to ensure the food was safe for consumption. It was often served, when possible, with bread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottage

Sister in the UK can't cook a good stew for <expletive> because when she was off playing with her dolls I was in the kitchen talking to Mom. Every year when I visit the UK she seems to remember some dish we had in our childhood and so far I remember how to make all of them but for me there are two that I have no idea how to make. Anyway, everybody dies and I'm not getting any younger so perhaps I should video how to make them and upload it to YT

2 hours ago, notmyself said:

Pottage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottage

Sister in the UK can't cook a good stew for <expletive> because when she was off playing with her dolls I was in the kitchen talking to Mom. Every year when I visit the UK she seems to remember some dish we had in our childhood and so far I remember how to make all of them but for me there are two that I have no idea how to make. Anyway, everybody dies and I'm not getting any younger so perhaps I should video how to make them and upload it to YT

ain't there a town in the UK called Pea's Pottage (Sussex)? a pottage made of peas...hmm, probably good with some nice crusty bread...

my sister ain't worth a shit in the kitchen either...she gets her husband who's my best friend and who I showed how to cook to do it all...

once I made a fabulous avocado salad (greens, parmesan and olive oil) that she devoured...and then she glowered...and then picked up a knife and came at me screaming: 'yew always thought that yer were better than me, ye bastard!!!'

sibling rancor and perilous times...

11 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

my sister ain't worth a shit in the kitchen either...she gets her husband who's my best friend and who I showed how to cook to do it all...

once I made a fabulous avocado salad (greens, parmesan and olive oil) that she devoured...and then she glowered...and then picked up a knife and came at me screaming: 'yew always thought that yer were better than me, ye bastard!!!'

lol.

Austerity in the UK has hit people hard including my sister and her family so I've devoted a lot of effort into showing her how to get much more for her money out of the food shop. I also take back 25kg of rice with me each time but they don't really eat it as it is somewhat bland. I've shown her how to make basic versions or tomato rice (jollof), jambalaya, Persian style butter rice and Hainanese chicken rice and biryani among others. They like them and it's all written  in a specific notebook and she is a master at taking notes. They still eat very little rice which suggests to me it us due to idleness more than anything else as without the passion, cooking is a chore. I dunno mate, passion or not it seems to me that if you want to put a couple of quid aside so you can go out on a Friday night for a couple of jars then you have to do something and if that 'something' involves free rice then you are half way there.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:40 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

Pot au feu is just French for pot roast.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-au-feu

The ingredients are exactly the same as the ones you mention.  

Here's one of mine I made a few months ago.

Photo1219[1].jpg

On 6/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, Mister Fixit said:

Pot au feu is just French for pot roast.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-au-feu

The ingredients are exactly the same as the ones you mention.  

Here's one of mine I made a few months ago.

Photo1219[1].jpg

looks good...I mention pot au feu as it's usually cooked stove top...my mom useta make pot roast in the oven and many times in restricted circumstances no oven is available...in VN I hadta make do with a wobbly induction hotplate and with tough beef hadta keep the temp on high and add water frequently...

possible to do in a pressure cooker, I suppose but those things make me nervous...

On 2017-6-15 at 7:27 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

ain't there a town in the UK called Pea's Pottage (Sussex)? a pottage made of peas...hmm, probably good with some nice crusty bread...

sibling rancor and perilous times...

Pease Pottage. 

On 20/06/2017 at 4:52 AM, bbi1 said:

If you can't handle the asian way of living, asia isn't a place for you.

You certainly have some strange ideas unless you are a troll

Just how long have you lived in Asia?

I certainly don't eat rice every day and nor does my 12 yearold Thai/British son.

Did you ever hear about noodles, potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables instead of rice?

My wife certainly has and she used to cook and run a restaurant.

What is your culinary claim to fame?

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If you wanna live in an asian country, get used to the way of life in that asian country. Gotta adapt my brother! :)

Strange thing that.

I have been living in Asian countries on and off since 1968.

How about you?

11 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

So Aliens in England adapt to Fish n Chips, such nonsense,variety is the spice of life. 

You forgot pie, liquor and mash.

Up in Scotland they live on haggis, mutton pies, deep fried Mars bars and Irn Bru.

It must be true as I have been to Scotland 3 times.

In Wales they eat laverbread made from seaweed with bacon and cockles.

It must be true as I read it on Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Strange thing that.

I have been living in Asian countries on and off since 1968.

How about you?

I was a very long, long, longgggggg way from even being born anywhere near 1968 :smile:

As a relatively young dude who hasn't been here that long, I've got no issues eating rice once or even twice a day. :smile:

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I was a very long, long, longgggggg way from even being born anywhere near 1968 :smile:

As a relatively young dude who hasn't been here that long, I've got no issues eating rice once or even twice a day. :smile:

I figured as much.

I eat rice sometimes now, but only once or twice a week. When I was on the road 5 days a week as a field engineer, it got to be so boring eating rice with pork, rice with chicken every day I used to long for the weekends so that I could eat western food.

Beef was rarely available, lamb was harder to find and the "western food" at 7/11 wasn't really fit for soi dogs to eat. Since those early days Thailand has vastly improved in the food stakes but I am no longer on the road but retired.

The dinner my wife cooked for me tonight was onion soup with chicken. I made sausage (homemade) bacon and eggs for lunch and breakfast was half a melon, a mango and a toasted bun, also homemade. The mango was from one of the 5 mago trees on the land.

Many of the posters on TVF have been in Thailand far longer than I have (and we are grumpy old gits at times).

What you keep bringing up has been done to death many times in this forum and other forums come to that, so that when it comes up yet again it gets a bit repetative.

I know it isn't easy finding new topics but when posters point things out to you they are not trying to run you down, it is that we have heard most of it before.

Part of the problem in Thailand is that Thais are held back politically so nothing much changes over the years and it is a case of rinse and repeat but try to find something different to say.

When/if the logjam breaks, and it will eventually, things will be a lot different and depending on who takes over from this lot it will be better.

On 6/21/2017 at 4:16 PM, bbi1 said:

Yes, well all that was pretty bladdy obvious from the first post you made on this thread.  

A noob.  Very much a noob.

I was happy enough eating rice regularly too when I first came, but believe me, it palls, it very much palls.  

On June 16, 2017 at 2:39 AM, bbi1 said:

If you can't stand eating rice everyday (at least once a day) then Thailand or any other Asian country isn't for you :smile:

That was probably true 30 years ago, but plenty of other foods available now all over the region. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos always had good bread and cheap too. 

Archived