Sick of rice!

akirasan

Just now, Acharn said:

Yeah, takes a little practice but you can even cook macaroni in the microwave. I suppose you could with spaghetti, too, but you'd have to break the noodles into smaller pieces, and I hate that. It used to be, when you could buy rice out of the big bags, the shop would have five or six different species, different prices, and they all had different flavors. I haven't seen that kind of shop for a long time, but I would suppose they still exist in small towns. Ask your wife about potatoes -- mon farang. I used to see them in the market in Phanat Nikhom, but there was a refugee camp outside the town and foreign workers were important to the local economy at the time. I remember missing them very much my first few years here, but now I prefer rice.

Plenty off those shops around us in Pattaya.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have been given SO much good advice above.  Follow it!!  Or get on some cooking sites.....there's Taste.au, or Best (both pretty awful,  but if you are Aussie you will think they are wonderful.  BBC Good Food and a load of other Brit sites.   The best are American......All Recipes, Epicurious and so on.  Just Google......

I loathe rice and manage to eat it only  once or twice a year.  I was married to a man who was born in a British colony and had Indian nannies.  For twenty or more years I had to put up with the daily "where's my rice?"  And that from an elegant. sophisticated. well travelled man.  Sometimes I told him where it was.  

Good luck, old stick.

I grow them exellent taste and very easy to grow.

I used to grow them in Australia but haven't even seen the seeds over here.

You have been given SO much good advice above.  Follow it!!  Or get on some cooking sites.....there's Taste.au, or Best (both pretty awful,  but if you are Aussie you will think they are wonderful.  BBC Good Food and a load of other Brit sites.   The best are American......All Recipes, Epicurious and so on.  Just Google......

I loathe rice and manage to eat it only  once or twice a year.  I was married to a man who was born in a British colony and had Indian nannies.  For twenty or more years I had to put up with the daily "where's my rice?"  And that from an elegant. sophisticated. well travelled man.  Sometimes I told him where it was.  

Good luck, old stick.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

Acharn

My dear friend,if i wanted Potatoes,there is no man,woman, or force on this God given earth that would stand between them and me.back home i loved new pots and Jersey Royals.God help the person who would buy the last of these delicacies and prevent me from enjoying them Boiled,cold,or even lightly roasted.New potato chips are to die for.

When i lived in the USA, Idaho Reds were my potato of choice.but i was not as fanatical about then as i was the good old English old or new spud.When i am suffering from potato withdrawal,i am best left alone.Ive never seen a new pot over here,has anybody? I did find some easy scrapers in lotus in Patts a few years ago,they were good,but Ive never seen them since.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, colinneil said:

Lazy sod cooking for myself inst an option.

I live in the sticks, cook myself every day, and i am confined to my wheelchair.

Get up of your backside and get cooking.

Better yet, get your wife to cook Western food for you.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:58 PM, zorro1 said:

Buy a bread maker

Trouble with that, most are too lazy to use it.

Other options ..... Make mousaka with Aubergines, Easy, I did it without even a recipe, Wife can do it now (with help for the cheese sauce). Taro, sweet potatoes also are starchy veg, Many bakery items such as small meat filled puff pastry (makes a great breakfast or lunch), or sausage stuck in a bun. 7-11 have a range of snack items, like burgers and toasted sandwiches, not brilliant, but good for a quick bite. Pasta as already mentioned an option (bulk buy in Makro, much cheaper)

Finally, do you have a garden? I sometimes grow potatoes during winter. Maybe not an economic, high yielding crop in the hotter areas, but i do get some lovely newish potatoes.

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Have your wife grill some sticky rice... put some pepper corns, toasted garlic and salt in a mortis & passel... then bread the sticky rice with it and grill!... great with grilled pork or chicken and somtam!...

IMG_0906.JPG

Bake your potatoes, scoop out the white and mash with hot broth and cheese; then put the mix back into the skin and re-bake it--beats the hell out of any rice.

On 2/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Acharn

My dear friend,if i wanted Potatoes,there is no man,woman, or force on this God given earth that would stand between them and me.back home i loved new pots and Jersey Royals.God help the person who would buy the last of these delicacies and prevent me from enjoying them Boiled,cold,or even lightly roasted.New potato chips are to die for.

When i lived in the USA, Idaho Reds were my potato of choice.but i was not as fanatical about then as i was the good old English old or new spud.When i am suffering from potato withdrawal,i am best left alone.Ive never seen a new pot over here,has anybody? I did find some easy scrapers in lotus in Patts a few years ago,they were good,but Ive never seen them since.

The Villas near me in BKK pretty regularly have good sized Russet potatoes from the U.S., and the price isn't too bad, I wanna say, around 50-70 baht per kilo.

Also, the Radiance WholeFoods delivery service in BKK have some pretty nice organic white potatoes that I've had before, and they cooked up very nice.

2017-02-08 14_19.jpg

tallGuy John in BKK

Thanx for the info John.Dont get up to Bkk often,but when we do i shall  have a look.

We live in KK and the pots are the same in Lotus as they are in the market.You can mash them and put them in the microwave for a baked pot,not bad.I havent tried to make chips with them,'cos i get the frozen American ones.

Would die for a nice cold Jersey Royal with a cold boiled egg salad though,:smile:

On February 6, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Ron19 said:

I used to grow them in Australia but haven't even seen the seeds over here.

I saw a shop that had the unholy stinking rotten little cabbages on

a thread on the farming forum, won't say what thread other than one

pertaining to hydro and was posted in the last few weeks, there was

a link to a site. I was shocked to see them.

rice555

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

My wife cooks for me maybe two or three times a week. She's a great cook, but I have been here too long to want Thai food every meal. I cook for myself and do my own shopping, that way I get what I am hungry for. 

Fortunately my Thai missus likes to cook (and enjoy) things like liver and bacon, lamb shanks, spag bol etc, as well as her own Thai dishes, most of which I enjoy as well. Some I do draw the line at though, especially anything with that pickled stinky fish.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Fortunately my Thai missus likes to cook (and enjoy) things like liver and bacon, lamb shanks, spag bol etc, as well as her own Thai dishes, most of which I enjoy as well. Some I do draw the line at though, especially anything with that pickled stinky fish.

Too be fair, she can cook any of the dishes that I cook for myself and she does a great job. But she doesn't prefer them over the stuff she makes, except maybe lasagna.

So we both just eat what we are wanting, and usually that is two different things.

10 hours ago, Ron19 said:

I love them and Broccoli steamed rather than boiled.

Cooking Broccoli in the microwave is faster.  I like to put sliced cheese on top. 

On 2/6/2017 at 5:22 PM, Ron19 said:

I've never seen Brussell Sprouts over here.:unsure:

They are about but you do have to look hard.

I found some excellent ones in Hua Hin market and sometimes in the better supermarkets like Villa or Tops, but only in ex-pat areas.  I have also seen them at branches of the Home Fresh Mart chain of supermarkets (but there aren't many around).

Thais often have something similar but they look like blown sprouts.  It's a sort of mini-cabbage they call 'Khanaeng'  

They re not too bad, but just a lot looser than Brussels sprouts.

yeah...I've seen khanaeng at the market as well and when available I always throw a handful into a chicken or tofu stir fry...but I wouldn't compare them to sprouts as they taste completely different, more bitter and the leaves are coarser much like the other leafy green veg available locally...

btw nice to hear that others have wandered down to their local traditional market...many times they got stuff that never appears in the supermarkets and better overall freshness and quality as well...makes fer an interesting variety...you can spot something that you like and plan yer supper accordingly...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

btw nice to hear that others have wandered down to their local traditional market...many times they got stuff that never appears in the supermarkets and better overall freshness and quality as well...makes fer an interesting variety...you can spot something that you like and plan yer supper accordingly...

I m often down my local market and most stallholders know me now.  I can speak reasonable Thai and get on well with them.  They seem to like the farang wandering round and always chat.  

The veg are always fresher and not individually wrapped as in the  supermarket either.  

I often get my beef from there as the beef in my local Tesco is rubbish.  I made a lovely pot roast 2 weeks ago with a nice piece of topside I had bought.  It took 21 1/2 to  hours to cook though, and needed very minute of the time.  

Then I had a shin of beef from there a while back and froze it.  I made rendang with that last week and it was amazing.  

Photo1219[1].jpg

Photo1271[1].jpg

that rendang looks mighty fine, my favorite fer lunch when I was workin' in Jakarta many years ago...you're doin' a lot better than me...we ain't got no beef not even in the supermarket in the provincial capital...gotsta make do with pork, chicken and river fish...we can get frozen ground beef at makro which is OK fer the chili and the spag bog...meatloaf some times, half pork, half beef, etc...

and yeah...if I approach a produce section inna supermarket that has pre - wrapped items (like at Big C) I turn around and walk out...they gots to be kidding...

Archived