Advice needed ! BMW 320d vs New Civic

baywatch82

Please help me to decide, it is a real dilemma for me !

I own BMW 320d 2012 year 60,000 km full option right now. Still have warranty (BSI) but it will expire next month.
I bought it second hand about 6 months ago for 1.1 mln. New in 2012 was 2.7mln.

I heard so many horror stories about servicing and repairing BMW cars in Thailand. 

I decided to put my car on Kaidee and try to sell it for the same price i bought it, 1.1mln. Someone is very interested. Car was already inspected and we started to make selling arrangements. But now huge dilemma came to my mind !! Sell it or keep it.

I want to buy Honda Civic RS in exchange, almost the same price. Will have peace of mind for next couple of years (3 i think warranty). I heard great reviews about this car, and is packed with the newest technology. 
BMW is a great car, now little bit behind after 5 years with technology, but it is still top quality car with a great engine.

What is your opinion, please help me !

Some people say, after BSI, BMW drops value a lot. 
But buying new car drops value a lot just after leave sale shop too !

Edited by baywatch82

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not an easy choice... But I agree with you, that servicing a BMW good be a problem in Thailand.

Do you already made a test drive with the new Honda Civic? The CVT is not for everyone.

To have look at other new cars, like the new Mazda 3?

The BMW has already depreciated. So it's price will remain steady for the next couple if years. The new Honda will lose several hundred thou the monent u drive it out of the dealer. There are plenty of good independent BMW service garages and even the official dealers are not massively expensive. Depending on the mileage you do servicing shouldn't be a big deal. They are pretty reliable and well built. The diesel motor should be good for 200k kms. I'd keep the BM for another couple of years the PX it on either something new or another 1-2 yr old car.

Cars are not really in the same league. The BMW stands driving dynamics wise and engine wise especially with the nice torque of the diesel engine above the Civic.

Let's see in 4 years your BMW maybe has depreciated another 2-300,000 but the Civic lost probably 40% of its value. The difference is budget for repairs and the remainder is having a nicer car....

well that's my take on things anyhow....

Yep. And the Honda will still require servicing which has a cost on top of it's depreciation. The warranty only covers manufacturing faults and component failure. Both are relatively uncommon these days. 

On 2/6/2017 at 8:56 AM, frankphuket said:

Let's see in 4 years your BMW maybe has depreciated another 2-300,000 but the Civic lost probably 40% of its value.

I am really not sure about it !

I see many BMWs 10 years old and more priced on Kaidee for about 300k and less, which shows future of my car in about 5-6 years. That BMW 10 years ago was also over 2mln baht new.

Thailand is very specific car market, so different than western countries. New cars do not loose value as quick as in the west. I see 6 months to 1 year old cars on Kaidee selling for almost the same price as the new one (maybe 5-10% loss), in the western countries that would be impossible (30% loss right away after leaving dealership).

Just drive the honda and compare....is the bmw really twice as good as the honda? The new civic is a much better ride than the previous versions. Sure, there will be an initial loss on the honda but you will have 3 years of warranty. After the warranty period, the honda will be cheaper to maintain. All cars lose value, especially Euro cars, as they cost more to maintain over the long run. Euro cars need two things - lots of time an money. How deep are your pockets? The well off never have issues - they have so much money they run it for 3 to 5 years then sell it and get a new one. 

On 2/6/2017 at 8:56 AM, frankphuket said:

Cars are not really in the same league. The BMW stands driving dynamics wise and engine wise especially with the nice torque of the diesel engine above the Civic.

Yep. It's a pity honda Thailand has no diesel option...

Edited by fullcave

On 2/4/2017 at 4:55 PM, Pdaz said:

The BMW has already depreciated. So it's price will remain steady for the next couple if years. The new Honda will lose several hundred thou the monent u drive it out of the dealer. There are plenty of good independent BMW service garages and even the official dealers are not massively expensive. Depending on the mileage you do servicing shouldn't be a big deal. They are pretty reliable and well built. The diesel motor should be good for 200k kms. I'd keep the BM for another couple of years the PX it on either something new or another 1-2 yr old car.

New Hondas do not lose several hundred thousand baht as soon as you drive them away. In case you hadn't noticed TIT and cars hold their used value extremely well, ESPECIALLY farang owned.

I hear you all people and I agree with almost all of you !
That's why this choice is so difficult for me.

Researching a car market here in Thailand, I am pretty sure my BMW will be worth less after another 5 years than Honda, or it will be very close.
New Civic is great, but let's be honest, BMW is a real joy to drive too, plus some prestige.
Unfortunately I am not able to predict what will break in it, and how much it will cost me, otherwise it would be an easy choice.

2 hours ago, uptheos said:

New Hondas do not lose several hundred thousand baht as soon as you drive them away. In case you hadn't noticed TIT and cars hold their used value extremely well, ESPECIALLY farang owned.

Well after 16yrs and countless cars here I think you need to check again. 10yrs back there was little depreciation but it's different now. Used car market is full to the brim. Check out the thai language car sites online ( if u can read Thai ) And don't be fooled by the sticker prices ( if any ) at your local car tent. Better yet go buy a new Honda and see what u actually sell it for after 2-3 Months.. Be prepared to be disappointed 

Guess it depends on your car preference and cost sensitivity. Servicing a Honda will be a lot cheaper than your BM both when new and when older. Depreciation of the car value might be similar.
But then again some may say a BM, even though it's 5 yrs old, may have more prestige and you can tell people you drive a BM. Personally I don't care about that so much. So for me it would be the Honda and the new Civic looks really good in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 2/4/2017 at 9:48 PM, juehoe said:

Not an easy choice... But I agree with you, that servicing a BMW good be a problem in Thailand.

Do you already made a test drive with the new Honda Civic? The CVT is not for everyone.

To have look at other new cars, like the new Mazda 3?

Ridiculous rumors...

Of course he should keep the BM, who wants to drive a Japanese car ! Really !!!

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

If yer can't count the Cars you have had here over 16 years yer opinion ain't worth much

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's 11 if you really need a number. 12 next Month when my new Merc arrives ( Just sold my BMW and my Audi )

Edited by Pdaz

If you sell the BMW for close to your asking price, and buy the Honda for the same money, then go for the Honda. It will be trouble free and a load off your mind for the next 5 years.

This assumes that your job doesn't require you to have a prestige car to ferry people around or that you have loads of spare time to enjoy the BMW out in the country. If your mainly driving for work or the family, rather than pleasure, then get the Honda. Driving in Bangkok, and stuck in traffic, maybe the interior of the car is important because you spend so much time looking at it!

I'd say most of the fellas worrying/bemoaning about German cars here either have never had one or can't afford one.. Stick to your Honda if you prefer.. Just keep telling yourselves, "it's a great car, it's a great car, it's a......" ( Still waiting for Ford to sue over Hondas use of their RS name) 

I'd say most of the fellas worrying/bemoaning about German cars here either have never had one or can't afford one.. Stick to your Honda if you prefer.. Just keep telling yourselves, "it's a great car, it's a great car, it's a......" ( Still waiting for Ford to sue over Hondas use of their RS name) 

Why what do U Gain,as with Ford and BM most of us like them ,but not here if your hi millage

15 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Why what do U Gain,as with Ford and BM most of us like them ,but not here if your hi millage

Over some time I've had two Hondas, a Nissan, two Subarus, a Jag, BMW's an Audi and a bunch of other cars. Cars from the 60's, 80's, 90's and more recent models. The one thing common is that the later cars are a shedload more reliable than their predecessors. But my humble opinion is that base model Japanese cars are not as satisfying to drive or own as a BMW, Audi, Merc, or even a VW. I'd even say that Renault and Seat produce cars that give more driving pleasure than the current offerings from Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

Okay, further up the price scale the Honda NSX, Nissan GTR and 370z are great cars ( And just as pricey as their German rivals ) but their hatch back shopper specials available here in Thailand are just that. Reliable, easy to drive, good value and practical.. But bland.

They aren't even that cheap, Most over a million. A top model Camry or Accord is close to 2 million. A base model 3 series BM is more fun and rewarding.

Obviously some people just aren't that interested or excited by cars and just want something to, "get them from A to B" In that situation a Honda is a fine car.  Maybe they have a family and value practicality and economy more than performance and quality.

I just know that I prefer German cars to Japanese ones ( even including the NSX etc )

I've had both ( Jap and German) so feel I can comment. But as I said above, many who disparage the more expensive cars are only doing so because they have never had one or couldn't conceive spending the sort of money required even if they have it.  That's fine but their comments are based on bias, not experience.

You can buy a lemon from any manufacturer and have a bad experience from any manufacturer. Fords recent gearbox issues are well know, so too Japans airbag recalls.

There are plenty of super high mileage German cars around here and in Europe. A whole continent of German Taxis can't be a coincidence. I'd take a 20 year Merc over a 20 year old Honda any day.