Let the train take the strain – head South for the trip of a lifetime!

Inspire

Let the train take the strain – head South for the trip of a lifetime!

train-main-new.jpg

Many tourists point to their limited time in Thailand as a reason to take internal flights.

But jetting about the kingdom just to get from A to B faster often means missing out on all the good things in between.

For example – many visitors fly straight from Bangkok to Samui or Phuket. Ok, that’s great if you only have a week or so but any longer than that and it is worth travelling south overland so as not to miss the great places and experiences to be had on the way.

One of the worthwhile places to visit on the journey south is the charming seaside resort of Hua Hin and its near neighbor Cha-Am about 220 and 200 kilometers from the capital respectively.

So how to go – by bus or train?

While it is certainly true that the train will take longer, train travel is something not to be missed on a trip to Thailand. While the railways in Thailand are in need of upgrades, the State Railway authority are in the process of upgrading their rolling stock.

Journeys are slow but that is advantageous – it is wonderful to watch the scenery go by and enjoy the view from your seat as an endless stream of food and drinks vendors cater to your every need.

A train journey to Hua Hin from Bangkok will take about four hours so leaving reasonably early – maybe even before the morning rush hour hits the capital – is a good option.

An interesting idea is to break the journey around halfway at the station of Petchaburi. Here you can visit the place on the hill though be careful of the monkeys. Then you can continue your journey later in the day.

Hua Hin is full of world class hotels and resorts as well as more budget accommodation. The beaches are clean and though the weather can be inclement during the rainy season it is fine and sunny for most of the year.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/let-train-take-strain-head-south-trip-lifetime/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-02-05

I just came back early from my usual 4 or 5 day break in Hua Hin. I got tired of dodgeing all the trees and obstacles on the footpaths,the constant traffic jams. the jacked up prices on food......not going back again for the foreseeable future.

Edited by dotpoom

Buses are death traps.  Trains are old, slow, none too comfortable, and come off the tracks far too often.  Airplanes are the fastest and  comparatively safest mode of travel here in Thailand.  And driving a personal vehicle on the World's Second Most Dangerous Roads...need I say more.  So we now opt for flights for domestic travel. I may change my mind once Thailand upgrades their train infrastructure to modern gauge rail-lines, modern trains, not to mention bullet-trains for distance inter-city travel.  If that occurs, I will probably change my tune. 

21 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I just came back early from my usual 4 or 5 day break in Hua Hin. I got tired of dodgeing all the trees and obstacles on the footpaths,the constant traffic jams. the jacked up prices on food......not going back again for the foreseeable future.

Which is why it's better to go to Cha Am and vacation Thai style. 

Comments are truly unbelievable

Always the same, roads  dangerous, people not so friendly, bla bla bla...

if you're so dark about the Kingdom, why do you stay there ???

Let's rather go back to the fantastic british climate, the so exotic and healthy Ruhr countryside, or the so vibrant australian bush.

And, above all, don't forget to buy your beer.

I'm waiting for (or have missed the news) regarding the new train which is being manufactured in China and will offer a speedy service from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

I've made the trip twice now on the old rattler, and is certainly in need of replacement.

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

The trains are so shit in Thailand it's almost unbelievable. 5 hours to Bangkok from Hua Hin.

It was quicker to travel this distance in the UK 100 years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/rail-strikes-disastrous-southern-rail-rmt-industrial-action-labour-diane-abbott-a7482746.html

And it might take a week now!

Thais have done like in Brazil, not developing trains in the past centuries they have given boost to private bus connections cause no car traffic before, now that cars are to many trains would come useful but need rebuild completely the railroads to sustain even the intercity vagons and electrified to avoid diesel engines.

Will be a long road....sorry a long "rail"road....

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

The trains are so shit in Thailand it's almost unbelievable. 5 hours to Bangkok from Hua Hin.

Time is a farang concept.Who cares about the time,enjoy the moment,the scenery and your fellow travellers.Used to be able to enjoy a beer but sadly no more.

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Go a little bit further and you'll be right.

5 hours ago, portroyal said:

Let's rather go back to the fantastic british climate, the so exotic and healthy Ruhr countryside, or the so vibrant australian bush.

Beer is cheaper in the UK.... just saying.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Whilst I agree about the rolling stock is a bit worse for wear the trip itself is wonderful  yes 4 to 5 hours but no stress no rush. And some stunning scenery we use it all the time fly into bangkok then train to Hua Hin.

9 hours ago, connda said:

Buses are death traps.  Trains are old, slow, none too comfortable, and come off the tracks far too often.  Airplanes are the fastest and  comparatively safest mode of travel here in Thailand.  And driving a personal vehicle on the World's Second Most Dangerous Roads...need I say more.  So we now opt for flights for domestic travel. I may change my mind once Thailand upgrades their train infrastructure to modern gauge rail-lines, modern trains, not to mention bullet-trains for distance inter-city travel.  If that occurs, I will probably change my tune. 

Good to see you dont intend leaving us for some considerable time

6 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

So what are the best places to visit by train? Some insider knowledge would be good, thanks 

Anywhere, if you are at peace with the world, and not in a hurry

I just wish they would refrain from using the toilets while stood in the station

7 hours ago, portroyal said:

You should have lurked for a year or two, then you wont have wasted your time with that post

There has been umpteen before you with similar posts

Just a point of order, PEOPLE, I take them as I find them, ROADS, you had better believe that they are dangerous that is eminently believable 

2 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Beer is cheaper in the UK.... just saying.

And somewhat better all round, as in brewery choices, beer types, beer quality and the shape of the drinking vessels / jars 55555555

Edited by oldlakey

Last year I went Bangkok to Prachuap Khiri Khan by bus , stayed a couple of days then to Surat Thani by train, 4 days in Koh Samui and then back to BK overnight on the train.
Okay, the trains weren't great but I was in no rush and enjoyed the " adventure ".
Would definitely do it again, as said previously, it's relaxing and the scenery is beautiful .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you have the time train can be a relaxing experience having journeyed from BKK to Surin on a few occasions at differing pricing levels some journeys were fun others tedious depending on the company and your mood. One certainly requires a little fortitude to enjoy The BKK to Surin train experience. But I would say try it once - through the day.

Unlike many I do not carry the concerns regarding coach travel. The 'Bells' coach operator from Suvarnabhumi to Hua hin gave me no safety concerns, wide seat, seatbelt, a very a comfortable reasonably priced journey and sedate enough to take in the scenery

Travelled many times Coach BKK - Surin:  

Nakhonchai and Sombat tour have provided a good service, and, again, I have never experienced any safety concerns, and possible too to take in the scenery.

Only concern about coach travel these days is the possibility those around you will pull their curtains restricting your view of the scenery, then you might as well fly!!

Until the railway network is upgraded I can understand why people currently prefer the alternatives for regular travel.

10 hours ago, portroyal said:

A truly silly post , the train service is pretty poor , are we not allowed to state that fact ? If pretending everything in Thailand is wonderful floats your boat then good for you , but dont imagine the rest of us need such delusion and self justification to enjoy the country.

I was really looking forward to taking the train from Chumphon to BKK a few months ago, but due to an unfortunate delay at the Kawthaung/Ranong border, I missed the train and had to catch a flight. For the absurdly low price of train travel in Thailand, you really have no room to complain or compare to EU. And the travel times may seem archaic to you, but they are just about on par with Amtrak in the USA, which has been neglected almost as much.  

It's so comical how some people here complain when they have to pay western prices for anything over here that is of comparable quality, but then they complain even more when something that is still exponentially cheaper than in the west is not up to western standards.

10 minutes ago, RaoulDuke said:

I was really looking forward to taking the train from Chumphon to BKK a few months ago, but due to an unfortunate delay at the Kawthaung/Ranong border, I missed the train and had to catch a flight. For the absurdly low price of train travel in Thailand, you really have no room to complain or compare to EU. And the travel times may seem archaic to you, but they are just about on par with Amtrak in the USA, which has been neglected almost as much.  

It's so comical how some people here complain when they have to pay western prices for anything over here that is of comparable quality, but then they complain even more when something that is still exponentially cheaper than in the west is not up to western standards.

Many years ago I travelled with my friend from BKK to Surin, the cost of the tickets was 69 baht each, my friend inadvertently helped me enjoy the journey, he was a larger man than I, and after a couple of hours on the wooden seats, refusing to have a beer, as hung over from the night before, he sat with his head in his hands for the next few hours, much to my amusement, oft repeating the phrase, "Never again...Never again". Now he was not drawing any comparison but clearly his experience would exclude him from recommending Thai train travel to anybody!! Next time I stepped up in class and had the fold out chair bed a much different journey. Another time I travelled over night and windows would not close the train was freezing cold!! On another journey I travelled overnight in first class sleeper and was no problem excepting a little worried about maybe rolling out of the bed. People are entitled to have differing opinions and experiences,  train travel is not for all!.