Kitchen Design Help

cms22

So we've bought a new house in Bangkok. It's a relatively small kitchen - and we need design/fitting assistance.

Do any of you decent chaps know who offers such services? I'm talking about measuring up, fitting options and installation. 

Homepro? Any other options?

Many thanks.

C

We used the services of Ikea, they offer a good on-line design studio. Once completed you can go into their shop in Bagna and confirm the measurements and a designer will with you to complete the design. Good quality material at good prices. You need to take the measurements, but they can install for you at reasonable prices. We found Home Pro to be more expensive and not  the same quality.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to access their design studio. The offer free appointments with their designers, some of them have excellent english skills.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

2 hours ago, hoxman said:

We used the services of Ikea, they offer a good on-line design studio. Once completed you can go into their shop in Bagna and confirm the measurements and a designer will with you to complete the design. Good quality material at good prices. You need to take the measurements, but they can install for you at reasonable prices. We found Home Pro to be more expensive and not  the same quality.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to access their design studio. The offer free appointments with their designers, some of them have excellent english skills.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

Ikea good quality material? That is a first.

Kitchen fitting, when done properly, is an art form. I speak as one who has been making (from scratch) and fitting bespoke kitchens for the last 15 years. Flat pack kitchens (Ikea etc) are ok if they're measured and fitted well, but the inherent problem is that they come in standard size units, i.e. 30cm, 40cm, 50cm, 60cm etc, and you have to be either a bit lucky for your kitchen to accommodate those dimensions well, or have a creative and skilled fitter who can make it look good regardless. Your fitter will also need to be able to deal with walls that are not plumb and corners that are not square if you are to get a finished product that looks the biz. Perhaps ask in Ikea if they have in-house fitters. That way if they don't do it to your satisfaction, at least you have some come-back.

Last year I purchased a KVIK kitchen via Boonthavorn.  The design process was fairly protracted.  To be honest, they weren't particularly good at listening to exactly what I wanted and I had carefully to scrutinise all the plans.  However, the finished result is excellent, and installation went quickly and flawlessly.  I'd be very happy to use them again.  The quality is definitely a big step up from IKEA.

http://www.kvik.co.th/

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Sink added, to make it lo-so.

The Missing Sink.jpg

Sink.jpg

I see, it's almost the same as our kitchen, massive teakwood. But we also have the same problem, the bin doesn't have a real place.

And my wife refuses to use the diswashingmachine...does yours use it?

18 hours ago, Thian said:

I see, it's almost the same as our kitchen, massive teakwood. But we also have the same problem, the bin doesn't have a real place.

When we were first married, my wife was also reluctant to use the dishwasher, but after a while (with a bit of pressure from me) she got used to the idea, and when our last DW died she went crazy until we got a new one! Maybe you should try bribing her. :smile: I bet after using it for a couple of months regularly, she'd become a convert!

When I design a kitchen, I usually try to incorporate an area at the end of a unit run to accommodate a medium size (70 litre or so) bin, and extend the worktop over it. I'm not keen on bins inside cupboard units, from a hygiene and odour point of view. After a while the cupboard absorbs the smell of rubbish, and it's very difficult to get rid of. Also, it's not very practical. A lidded bin in the open is much easier and cleaner.

4 hours ago, nisakiman said:

When we were first married, my wife was also reluctant to use the dishwasher, but after a while (with a bit of pressure from me) she got used to the idea, and when our last DW died she went crazy until we got a new one! Maybe you should try bribing her. :smile: I bet after using it for a couple of months regularly, she'd become a convert!

When I design a kitchen, I usually try to incorporate an area at the end of a unit run to accommodate a medium size (70 litre or so) bin, and extend the worktop over it. I'm not keen on bins inside cupboard units, from a hygiene and odour point of view. After a while the cupboard absorbs the smell of rubbish, and it's very difficult to get rid of. Also, it's not very practical. A lidded bin in the open is much easier and cleaner.

I agree, our bin is also in the open but it's too low and i hate that. We have a bin you can use to hang plastic bags in (from shopping) so we recycle them. I just wished they sell them on legs so we don't have to duck. I can make that myself i know but there's so much i already am making.

My wife loves to show the dishwasher to guests who have never heard of them and can't believe it works. But she won't use it haha. I don't care as long as i don't have to do it.

Now our friends (thai) also let some company design a farang kitchen with dishwasher. But it's too far away from the cupboards so not convenient.  My neighbour also wants it now, i told him everything about how to design a farang kitchen but he didn't write anything down.  He will order a company to build all so let's see what goes wrong...it starts with the concrete floor which needs to have all pipes poured in the cement.

The bad thing about a nice but expensive kitchen is that you can't just let anybody go cooking in it. Thai are not used to it and will smash frozen icecubes on the granite counter or feel how sharp the knives are....or have no idea what an electric deefrypan is...a girl brought the whole pan full of boiling oil to the dinnertable haha...

Anyway, a good designed kitchen is a valuable thing..ours is floodproof, termiteproof, childproof, extra fusebox, extra outlets and so on. Also extra high.

I would hang the hood as low as possible though, it's soo hot here and we don't use high pans anyway so the hood can be lower than in a farang kitchen which even works better so the chef won't sweat so much.

Also the gasbottle is a point of extra attention, make it easy to change cause those guys are rude.

On 6/2/2560 at 7:38 PM, Thian said:

I thoroughly checked the plumbing of my dishwasher before I married her.

(May God have mercy on my soul if she ever read this).   

2 hours ago, cms22 said:

Thanks for help on this. Will be looking at Homepro and Ikea. 

Give Index a go they have all you require Free in house fitting and design. Quick snaps of what they did at my place. Took them 4 hours to do but that didn't include the granite work tops. N/B don't use the hob as have another Thai kitchen.

Also no sink as I have already said have a utility room for washing up Etc.

Hope this helps.

IMGP0037.JPG

IMGP0038.JPG

Edited by fredob43

We have ceilingspots who were very cheap, but after some years it's impossible to open them again to change a lightbulb. So don't buy the cheapest ones or you'll regret it..

Also i regret buying Hafele for taps and hinges...they have softstop which doesn't work at all...And the taps are crap as well.

• 3 weeks later...