The fallacy of muzzling the media

webfact

On 2/6/2017 at 1:45 PM, ramrod711 said:

Funny, I don't recall any complaints from you when Thaksin was buying every media outlet he could get his hands on. That's different I suppose, the Pm should be allowed to set editorial policy as long as he is a rich elite.

What an imagination you have there ramrod11,  

"Thaksin was buying every media outlet he could get his hands on"  Ok so just how many did he get his hands on?

I guess you didn't recall any complaints because I wasn't here at the time Thaksin was buying into media, there all better now?

I don't think a PM should own shares in a media outlet.  But I don't bevel that a junta should control the media,  wait what's that you say? The military have their own TV/media station.

55 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

What an imagination you have there ramrod11,  

"Thaksin was buying every media outlet he could get his hands on"  Ok so just how many did he get his hands on?

I guess you didn't recall any complaints because I wasn't here at the time Thaksin was buying into media, there all better now?

I don't think a PM should own shares in a media outlet.  But I don't bevel that a junta should control the media,  wait what's that you say? The military have their own TV/media station.

every country in the world has ethical codes that control media - they simply cannot say exactly what they feel like at any given moment, certain media sources in Thailand have an agenda and that is reflected in what they say and how they say it, a lot of it would not be allowed in the west

There is no such a thing as total media freedom and never has been ......anywhere

Now I have not read what exactly this media act is in Thailand or even what the objections are as it seems nobody wants to put their cards on the table for all to see, some of it could in fact be quite reasonable - for example - reporting news without lies and agendas, I don't know if that is the case but knowing Thailand I'd say it is a reasonable guess

Courageous and progressive article.
Military people are used to giving commands.
These commands have to be followed without any question.
This is how the military works.

Good media does exactly the opposite.
Media ask uncomfortable questions, creates publicity and transparency.
This is a systemic problem, when the actors are caught in their roles  and can not think laterally.

12 hours ago, smedly said:

every country in the world has ethical codes that control media - they simply cannot say exactly what they feel like at any given moment, certain media sources in Thailand have an agenda and that is reflected in what they say and how they say it, a lot of it would not be allowed in the west

There is no such a thing as total media freedom and never has been ......anywhere

Now I have not read what exactly this media act is in Thailand or even what the objections are as it seems nobody wants to put their cards on the table for all to see, some of it could in fact be quite reasonable - for example - reporting news without lies and agendas, I don't know if that is the case but knowing Thailand I'd say it is a reasonable guess

Yes I agree with your comment yet again smedly,  There needs to be rules and regulations which I have said in past post, the question is who will set up the rules/reg's and will they be open and fair? The people should have access to the truth regardless if the gov't of the day don't like the truth just as criticizing the gov't of the day should not be banned.

The junta have a very thin skin and when faced with questions they don't like what is the junta's usual reaction?  Anger and you can not ask me these questions, you are not qualified to ask me these questions, you are causing misunderstanding, etc.

If the media told the truth (yeah right) and the gov't told the truth ( no bloody chance) things might be very different in the world today.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:56 PM, chilli42 said:

You make a boat load of great points.  What it all comes down to everywhere in the world is the balance between stability and anarchy.  That balance is a lot more trickey than people credit it.  Authoritarian leaders always use this against us.  How much freedom are you willing to trade off to be safe?  It's a slow process, small seemingly pragmatic trade off's are made ... but it's never enough ... and more trade off's are made etc etc.  Once freedoms are gone, enshrined in some constitution or other, there is no going back ... without a return to anarchy.  I am not speaking to the situation in Thailand but embracing anarchy can be a road to freedom.  It has been so for many of today's most successful democracy's.

this-is-what-areal-and-thisis-a-coward-w

On 2/6/2017 at 10:39 AM, connda said:

Why do the few here on TVF still support a junta that represses it's own people and continue to abuse human rights?

Probably because some of us have been around long enough to know that Western exceptionalism is a fallacy, and one form of government isn't a 'one-size-fits-all' solution.  Also the media can be (and are) manipulated by internal or external forces.  Since the Trump election, how many irresponsible news media sites continue to promote political assassination of the current US president as a topic of discussion?  No wonder Thailand is playing the conservative approach.  A free media has a responsible to not become the propaganda arm of monied interests and the power elite.  A true 'free press' are the watch dogs for the benefit of public interest, not the guard dogs of elite interests. 
Considering the chaos I witnessed from the time I stepped off the plane until the junta took over (riots, mobs, shootings, bombing, yellow and red killing each other) the takeover by the military was a welcome relief imho.  Some people want to act as those the junta takeover is permanent; it is not.  But they are trying to stabilize the prior stupidly before handing the reins back to a civilian government.  Having a press that incites instability again is counter-productive.  Is the junta perfect?  No.  But it is a valid stabilizing force in a country bordering on what could have easily turned into civil war.  Many people don't see the larger picture.  Give it time.  If you are a farang, note that this is not the country you came from!  It does not run like your country.  Nor should it.  I have yet to see a 'perfect form of government' anywhere on this diverse planet.   

Sadly, a post to blow yours clean out of the water would be short lived and break strict forum rules. Take off the rose tinted glasses and brush up on Thai history 1920 - 2014

On 2/6/2017 at 10:53 AM, connda said:

And the six media corporations in the US who have brought up and consolidated over 90% of the US media outlets aren't parroting the US State Department's talking points and a progressive liberal agenda? 
I remember when the US media outlets were an extremely diverse set of independently owned and operated companies with a vastly diverse set of opinions.  That was the time of a truly 'free press.'  Those days are long gone.  There are few 'good guys' who function independently from the state in which they reside, be it Russian, China, Britain, or the US (et.al.).  Thinking otherwise simply shows how indoctrinated and nationalistic the public has become in each of their own countries.  It's human nature to associate with the majority views of your own country, but that doesn't mean your perceived reality is accurate.
There are way too many followers and not too many independent thinkers who can see beyond the status quo.  Hence, we have a world of endless war and strife where there could be peace and prosperity, but there isn't.  Now there is the human condition for you in a nutshell.  Lol. 

well put , but yes,governments and big business piss all over us, and the media tell us its raining. 

then the sheeple go buy umbrellas.

Edited by sirmud63