German magazine defends cover showing Trump beheading Statue of Liberty

webfact

German magazine defends cover showing Trump beheading Statue of Liberty

REUTERS

r2.jpg

U. S. President Donald Trump is depicted beheading the Statue of Liberty in this illustration on the cover of the latest issue of German news magazine Der Spiegel. Spiegel/Handout via REUTERS

BERLIN (Reuters) - The editor-in-chief of Der Spiegel on Sunday said a front cover illustration of U.S. President Donald Trump beheading the Statue of Liberty, which split opinion at home and abroad, was a response by the German magazine to threats against democracy.

Published on Saturday, the cover depicts a cartoon figure of Trump with a bloodied knife in one hand and the statue's head, dripping with blood, in the other. It carries the caption: "America First".

It followed a series of attacks on Berlin's policies by Trump and his aides that have marked a rapid deterioration in German relations with the United States.

"Der Spiegel does not want to provoke anybody," editor-in-chief Klaus Brinkbaeumer told Reuters TV after the cover set off a debate on Twitter and in German and international media, adding he was surprised by the impact of the illustration.

"We want to show what this is about, it's about democracy, it's about freedom, it's about freedom of the press, freedom of justice and all that is seriously endangered," he said.

"So we are defending democracy... Are these serious times? Yes they are."

Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, a member of Germany's Free Democrats (FDP) and vice president of the European Parliament, described the cover as "tasteless".

Die Welt said it "damages journalism", while another German daily, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, said it was "exactly what Trump needs - a distorted image of him, which he can use to work more on his distorted image of the press."

Karl-Georg Wellmann, a lawmaker for Chancellor Angela Merkel's CDU conservatives, told mass-selling daily Bild: "I urge everyone to calm down and to handle this with reason, rather than gut feeling."

Merkel was the go-to European ally for former U.S. president Barack Obama, who praised her as "an outstanding partner".

But Trump has said she made a "catastrophic mistake" with her open-door migration policy, and his top trade adviser last week accused Germany of using a "grossly undervalued" euro to gain advantage over the United States and its European partners.

(Reporting by Reuters TV; Writing by Paul Carrel; editing by John Stonestreet)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-06

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trump could have the last laugh by making Germany defend itself instead of expecting the US to do so. That'd hit them in the pocket big time.

Spoken like a true Trump fan!

When a media outlet in a country with real freedom of expression publishes a magazine that is critical of Trump, blame the whole country and advocate to destroy it. That will show them!!

11 minutes ago, DriveByTrucker said:

Spoken like a true Trump fan!

When a media outlet in a country with real freedom of expression publishes a magazine that is critical of Trump, blame the whole country and advocate to destroy it. That will show them!!

Oh dear, another one trying to make me say things I didn't. I said he could make them pay for their own defence. Nowhere did I say I wanted to destroy Germany. I believe you need to retract your untruthful statement.

NB it is not acceptable to alter the meaning of my post.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, another one trying to make me say things I didn't. I said he could make them pay for their own defence. Nowhere did I say I wanted to destroy Germany. I believe you need to retract your untruthful statement.

NB it is against forum rules to alter the meaning of my post.

Well your post implies that Germany has to defend itself from someone! And YOU are suggesting that a magazine cover should trigger Trump to remove support financial support of the NATO. What you think will be the consequence of that?

4 minutes ago, DriveByTrucker said:

Well your post implies that Germany has to defend itself from someone! And YOU are suggesting that a magazine cover should trigger Trump to remove support financial support of the NATO. What you think will be the consequence of that?

Trump already said he was going to try and make other countries pay ( more ) for their defence. You seem to not have much knowledge about Trump's policies to be commenting on my post, so erroneously.

He has also said much about NATO.

If you don't know from which countries Germany might have to defend itself, I'm not going to be your tutor, but the most likely attack will come from Islamic terrorists that Merkel probably invited in, and NATO can't stop them.

The cover is quite clever and appropriate.  Why would they apologize?  It's a striking reminder of the over 12 millions refugees and immigrants that passed under Liberty's gaze on their way to processing at Ellis Island.  Trump now imposes a ban. Whether you agree or disagree with the ban you have to appreciate the symbolism of the art.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trump already said he was going to try and make other countries pay ( more ) for their defence. You seem to not have much knowledge about Trump's policies to be commenting on my post, so erroneously.

If you don't know from which countries Germany might have to defend itself, I'm not going to be your tutor, but the most likely attack will come from Islamic terrorists that Merkel probably invited in, and NATO can't stop them.

Stop defending an ally country as a retaliation of a magazine cover (what your original post clearly implies), is quite different from expecting NATO countries to pay up the fair share of the NATO budget! But I understand you are trying to wiggle your way out of your initial statement which is a good thing.....

28 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

I would think German people have enough of their own problems to contend with, i.e. Andrea Merkel and all her immigrants that the German people are paying for.

Funny part of life really. Politicians make all these great and glorious decisions without our input yet we end up paying. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You mean those 100 foot tall Islamic Terrorists with atomic laser beam eyes who are going to destroy Germany?  

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trump could have the last laugh by making Germany defend itself instead of expecting the US to do so. That'd hit them in the pocket big time.

Yes, because Germany is surrounded by enemies like Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Poland and Czechia.

Oh, Putin is already preparing to invade Western Europe ?

Isn't he ?

Germany might indeed save a lot if they hadn't to shoulder NATO expenses, American bases, partake in US conflicts and then give food and shelter to the refugees of these wars. And much better if the average american tax payer wouldn't have to support the US military industrial complex. The world would be much more safe and peaceful.

Who is the biggest war monger on this planet ?

Oh by the way... I do abhor that magazine DER SPIEGEL, that pictured Trump in such a pose. Just like the H.R.Clinton fans, they cannot face the defeat of their ikon.

The coming years will be very exciting. Too exciting I'm afraid.

SPIEGEL are on the way down, they laid off 150 workers over the last 2 years, a fifth of their entire workforce. To my mind they are on the decline because that no longer is quality journalism but leftist drivel, and there already are tabloids covering that. They have been accusing people with right-wing (not even extremist) views over the refugee-crisis as psychiatrically ill, living in their own world, the worst of their "wordsmiths" is Jacob Augstein, who inherited a large chunk of share from Rudolph Augstein, the founder of what once was a proud political magazine. They need covers like that now, which says a lot.

Why are hypocrite still saying "Merkel probably invited in" when it's the US who have a large responsibility

in all this.

If there would be less wars there would be less refugees. Ever thought bout that?
This whole conflict was a proxy war with the Russian.

Syria is governed by a nutcase but he is a predictable one and 6 years ago Syria was fine.
Now after all those years of war its more or less completely destroyed.

This whole "fall of the Assad regime" strategy is what has caused all that.

Hillary was the architect and the U.S. war manga strategy was an even bigger fail than in Iraq.

instead of finishing a weak IS you strengthen it like you did with al qaeda.

Germany has just shown humanity or should they just let prego women and kids rotten in some

shitty camps?

Smarten up

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the message, I CANNOT believe any TV reader/poster disagrees with freedom of the press and freedom of expression...and thusly, the mags absolute right to publish it.

Same as Charlie Hebdo...No apologies required! :coffee1: :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, KenKadz said:

I would think German people have enough of their own problems to contend with, i.e. Andrea Merkel and all her immigrants that the German people are paying for.

A good politician will never let a good disaster go to waste. Much the same as Najib ranting about the Royhinga and deflecting attention away from himself and the 1IMBD scandal. Sly old fox. 

21 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

You mean those 100 foot tall Islamic Terrorists with atomic laser beam eyes who are going to destroy Germany?  

No its the imigrant gangs that run the street after dark looking for young ladies trying to pull a Donald Trump snatch and grab or is it grab and snatch. Well you know. Its OK to molest Infidels.   

Edited by elgordo38

On ‎6‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

NB it is not acceptable to alter the meaning of my post.

Come on TBL, you know that won't happen and how dare you question his right to alter their meaning of the statement, anyone would think yo have the right to question him. :annoyed:  It's lucky you didn't ask for an apology I doubt if he could spell it yet alone known the meaning.:wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

I am pro-Trump. The way I see it, this is free speech. There is no apology required.

They can mock and joke all they like. 

Fact is, they did it because they know they will get a lot of publicity and it'll give them a bumper few weeks. Seems pretty smart to me.

On 2/6/2017 at 1:01 PM, KenKadz said:

Who is Andrea Merkel? Never heard of her. Do you know what you are talking about?

Edited by ResandePohm