Queen Elizabeth marks 65 years on British throne

webfact

Queen Elizabeth marks 65 years on British throne

REUTERS

r15a.jpg

Britain's Queen Elizabeth arrives to view an exhibition on Fiji at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, University of East Anglia in Norwich, eastern England, January 27, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth, the world's longest-reigning living monarch, celebrates her Sapphire Jubilee on Monday, commemorating 65 years since she took the British throne.

A 41-gun royal salute will take place in central London to mark the occasion. The queen's office released a 2014 portrait showing her wearing a suite of sapphire jewellery she received from King George VI as a wedding gift in 1947.

The Queen, 90, has cut back on international tours but still regularly performs official duties around Britain. In December she said she would reduce the number of her patronages, passing on her role at dozens of charities, academic institutions and sporting groups to other members of the royal family.

She will spend the day at her residence in Sandringham, eastern England, as is usual, her office said.

(Reporting by William James; editing by John Stonestreet)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-06

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you ma'am for continuing the unwavering Monarchical support for Liberal Democracy, that was so strongly established by your dearly loved great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria and her Consort Prince Albert, when they saw the growing menace of brutal, oppressive, populist, conservative Nationalism in Europe.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Norman Hartnell's been dead for decades but she seems to have an unlimited collection of his dreadful hats.

The Queen is by no means tall.

Because she moves among the people so much she has to be instantly identifiable, through a forest of heads, in an emergency.

Outside of Ascot such objects are rarely seen.

Edited by Enoon

10 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

However you dress it up, in any other job or in any other country it would be seen as "pensioner pressurised into continuing to work long into her nineties."

She will work till she drops.

Of her own choice.

8 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

However you dress it up, in any other job or in any other country it would be seen as "pensioner pressurised into continuing to work long into her nineties."

It is her choice; there is no constitutional reason why she could not abdicate and retire from public life completely.

But she wont.

She is a devout Christian, and in her Coronation Oath she swore before her God to serve for the rest of her life. She wont break that oath.

Today must bring mixed feelings for Her Majesty. Not only is it the anniversary of her ascension to the throne; it is also the anniversary of her beloved father's death.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never really thought about the monarchy in the UK much...what exactly does a Queen do?  Has she always held public favor?  I know I reside in Thailand now, but the idea of royalty seems peculiar to me...a throwback to a completely different time...is her primary function symbolic or nostalgic? I mean no disrespect, I only wonder what a citizen of the UK thinks about the concept of monarchy...and do citizens of Canada and Australia think the same?

3 minutes ago, hdkane said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never really thought about the monarchy in the UK much...what exactly does a Queen do?  Has she always held public favor?  I know I reside in Thailand now, but the idea of royalty seems peculiar to me...a throwback to a completely different time...is her primary function symbolic or nostalgic? I mean no disrespect, I only wonder what a citizen of the UK thinks about the concept of monarchy...and do citizens of Canada and Australia think the same?

an easily digestible article answers your question.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-elizabeth-ii-becomes-longest-reigning-monarch-what-does-the-queen-actually-do-every-day-10492992.html

as to what uk citizens think about the monarch and monarchy in the uk... as we have freedom of speech everyone has their own opinion and is free, within reason and with respect, to express it.

as for commonwealth countries; Canada appears quite pro and Australia, i believe, recently voted to remain in the commonwealth.

20 minutes ago, hdkane said:

That's a very good question

The UK is of course a constitutional monarchy and sovereign power ultimately rests with parliament. However the Queen is still our head of state and in many ways represents much of what makes the UK great. She has provided continuity over many governments. I'm sure she gives words of wisdom to our Prime Ministers at their weekly meetings whether they appreciate it or not. My family have been Royalists for centuries (as opposed to round heads)

Congratulations Your Majesty !

3 hours ago, humqdpf said:

I guess she would be ashamed about abdicating in favor of Charles.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I guess she would be ashamed about abdicating in favor of Charles.

Her Majesty would never be ashamed of anything. She will have her own reasons for not abdicating; probably she just doesn't feel ready.

Incidently, she still drives Land Rovers! What more can I say?

Just now, Grouse said:

Her Majesty would never be ashamed of anything. She will have her own reasons for not abdicating; probably she just doesn't feel ready.

No doubt she has reasons for not abdicating in favor of her son.

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Wow. You mean at 90yrs age, and being a Queen, she drives herself? Incredible if true!

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It is her choice; there is no constitutional reason why she could not abdicate and retire from public life completely.

But she wont.

She is a devout Christian, and in her Coronation Oath she swore before her God to serve for the rest of her life. She wont break that oath.

Today must bring mixed feelings for Her Majesty. Not only is it the anniversary of her ascension to the throne; it is also the anniversary of her beloved father's death.

My Bold

And that is why she will honour her oath until the day she dies. The Monarchy was thrust upon her Father (who never wanted it) and it ultimately led to his early death. The then Princess and her Father were enjoying the good life on the side lines when quite unexpectedly the pressure of Monarchy was put upon them. Whatever your personal views of what I think has been a magnificent servant to her country the likes of Monarchs such as this will not be seen again. God bless you Ma'am and may you be ruling when you are 100.

Just now, Grouse said:

Your point being?

Spell it out man!

It is not my decision, it is hers, is it not? She has not handed over the reign--pun intended--to Charles. So, she must have a reason. Maybe the Queen just doesn't want Camilla nearer to the throne, maybe she doesn't trust Charles' decisions and is waiting for William, maybe she wants the power and refuses to give it up for anyone.

So, sorry, Grouse, can not spell it out, it is not my decision. It just seems to me any mother who trusts her son would hand over the family business to him before he gets too old to enjoy it.

Just now, saakura said:

Wow. You mean at 90yrs age, and being a Queen, she drives herself? Incredible if true!

She still drives on her estates such as Balmoral if she so wishes.

Obviously on the highway she is driven on Range Rovers (with "interesting" modifications it is rumoured)

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It is not my decision, it is hers, is it not? She has not handed over the reign--pun intended--to Charles. So, she must have a reason. Maybe the Queen just doesn't want Camilla nearer to the throne, maybe she doesn't trust Charles' decisions and is waiting for William, maybe she wants the power and refuses to give it up for anyone.

So, sorry, Grouse, can not spell it out, it is not my decision. It just seems to me any mother who trusts her son would hand over the family business to him before he gets too old to enjoy it.

I'm glad you understand that discretion is the better part of valour! You could have ended up in The Tower!

Edited by Grouse

16 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Nothing to do with trusting anyone, she loves it. And she will not give up something she loves. 

That's why she still on horseback at 90:

queen-elizabeth-1-1024.jpg

Maybe that's a fault, but she is a human being, and "Horsey" ladies tend to be like that!

Her mother was the same, she had to be pushed into retirement when the Queens father died.

Even then she wouldn't give up and was hardly less busy than when she had been Queen.

Edited by Enoon

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm glad you understand that discretion is the better part of valour! You could have ended up in The Tower!

Oh. please not the tower, I'd have to have really bad English food. Not pulling any discretionary tactic; just don't understand why she hasn't given the crown to Charles.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Oh. please not the tower, I'd have to have really bad English food. Not pulling any discretionary tactic; just don't understand why she hasn't given the crown to Charles.

Of course you don't understand.....you're not British.

Why didn't you say so in the first place and save us all this trouble?

Pshaw!

4 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Nothing to do with trusting anyone, she loves it. And she will not give up something she loves. 

That's why she still on horseback at 90:

queen-elizabeth-1-1024.jpg

Maybe that's a fault, but she is a human being, and"Horsey" ladies tend to be like that!

Her mother was the same, she had to be pushed into retirement when the Queens father died.

Even then she wouldn't give up and was hardly less busy than when she had been Queen.

Okay, thanks for a logical response. However, she could stay on horseback or drive her Land Rovers as the queen-mother, could she not. I still don't see why any mother who loved her son would not want him to enjoy the family business before he got too old to do so.

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

Of course you don't understand.....you're not British.

Why didn't you say so in the first place and save us all this trouble?

Pshaw!

Why is it trouble trying to explain what your queen is doing? And, if the reason is one only a Brit would understand; well, that makes it even worse, doesn't it.