VPN techie advice

surinteacher2016

After starting to use my VPN i.e. connecting to a server abroad.... my dashboard on the VPN screen implies that my DNS protection is 'disabled' and that my IPv6 protection is disabled. 

I asked the techie department who said that I don't have to worry about it. Unsatisfied with this response I now seek advice from the esteemed members of this forum. 

Re the DNS issue the following link was provided:

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-switch-to-secure-dns-in-purevpn-new-windows-software-beta

Re the IPv6 issue:

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-mac

Can anyone help with this? I have the latest apple macbook pro

thanks

Regarding the OP first link what they are really saying is use a well known, considered secure DNS such as Google DNS or OpenDNS.   And by selecting secure DNS PureVPN is just changing your DNS primary and secondary DNS servers to GoogleDNS and OpenDNS. 

Heck, even without VPN (and I use PureVPN also), I've used GoggleDNS and OpenDNS as my DNS servers for years for improved DNS support/speed/lookup....better than using your internet service provider's (ISP) local DNS server local ISPs probably don't have same level of money and manpower dedicated to their DNS servers as worldwide providers such as  Google, OpenDNS, etc.

Now personally, I rarely use the PureVPN app....only use it when I'm playing around.   Instead, I just set myself up some manual L2TP/PPTP/SSTP VPN connections in Windows and Android like to Singapore, Los Angeles, and San Francisco and use the manual connections....no need to even use the PureVPN app with manual connections.  

Depending on where a person normally connects to they only really need one or two or maybe three VPN locations/cities to connect to like maybe to Singapore and London...or Singapore and LA...etc.  

But if you want to use OpenVPN you will need to use their app as manual Windows/Android connections can only be L2TP/PPTP/SSTP for Windows and L2TP/PPTP for Android.

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Regarding the OP first link what they are really saying is use a well known, considered secure DNS such as Google DNS or OpenDNS.   And by selecting secure DNS PureVPN is just changing your DNS primary and secondary DNS servers to GoogleDNS and OpenDNS. 

Heck, even without VPN (and I use PureVPN also), I've used GoggleDNS and OpenDNS as my DNS servers for years for improved DNS support/speed/lookup....better than using your internet service provider's (ISP) local DNS server local ISPs probably don't have same level of money and manpower dedicated to their DNS servers as worldwide providers such as  Google, OpenDNS, etc.

Now personally, I rarely use the PureVPN app....only use it when I'm playing around.   Instead, I just set myself up some manual L2TP/PPTP/SSTP VPN connections in Windows and Android like to Singapore, Los Angeles, and San Francisco and use the manual connections....no need to even use the PureVPN app with manual connections.  

Depending on where a person normally connects to they only really need one or two or maybe three VPN locations/cities to connect to like maybe to Singapore and London...or Singapore and LA...etc.  

But if you want to use OpenVPN you will need to use their app as manual Windows/Android connections can only be L2TP/PPTP/SSTP for Windows and L2TP/PPTP for Android.

thanks for your comment there. I followed the purevpn steps in that link and checked the 2 boxes:

1. 'switch to secure DNS'....       are you saying that it now that Ive checked that box that the dns will be google? 

2. 'Ipv6 leak protection' check box. .........  now that Ive checked that box and also de-activated ipv6 in my macbook pro that I should be better protected?

thanks

2 minutes ago, surinteacher2016 said:

thanks for your comment there. I followed the purevpn steps in that link and checked the 2 boxes:

1. 'switch to secure DNS'....       are you saying that it now that Ive checked that box that the dns will be google? 

2. 'Ipv6 leak protection' check box. .........  now that Ive checked that box and also de-activated ipv6 in my macbook pro that I should be better protected?

thanks

Regarding No. 1, yes when you are using a PureVPN connection via their app you wil be using Google DNS as your primarily DNS and OpenDNS are your backup/secondary DNS.  Turn PureVPN off and you are back to whatever DNS you normally use.  

I don't use Apple, but Windows.   Even without using the PureVPN app (which I rarely use) I have set my DNS server settings to GoogeDNS and OpenDNS to be used all the time, with or without VPN.   See below snapshot.

Capture.JPG

Regarding No. 2, when enabling the IPV6 leak detection in the PureVPN app what it is really doing is turning IPV6 off.

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-get-protection-from-ipv6-leak-with-purevpn-new-windows-software

Capture.JPG

7 hours ago, gurlytech1 said:

You might want to consider changing your services up.  I found this great article with suggestions, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried it out yet.  Was hoping to get some feedback from here since I'm planning to do some business in Thailand soon.  https://securethoughts.com/3-best-vpns-thailand/

If you mean the recommendation for a certain VPN service provider(s) on those websites which rank VPN services these type of website rankings/recommendations is largely based on who pays them the most for advertising/recommending them.   Now the websites will never admit that but that's how they make their money combined with the ad clicks to their recommended VPN service providers.

Many times the more pricier VPN service provides get the best/highest ranking recommendations probably because they have the deepest advertising pockets (i.e., willing to pay freely for positive reviews/rankings and ad clicks). 

Now I admit the pricier VPN services may indeed be a little better than VPN services which cost a lot less.    But as long as you get a reliable, fast VPN connection  I will take the connection from a VPN service provider that charges from a $2 to $3 per month over a the pricier VPN service providers which charge $5 to $10 per month in a heartbeat.

Edited by Pib