7,500 electric bill for the month

JoeyMac

I'm in a brand new condo. High end of the market. 

You always heard the stories how cheap utilities were in Thailand, but at the moment my utility bill for electric is actually more expensive than the USA ! 

My latest bill came to 7,500. I verified the meter reading and it was indeed accurate. 

We sparadically use an a/c in the main living room for about an hour during the day - no more. We have two bedrooms, so we do have our a/c on for the evening at a temperate of around 23 degree whilst we sleep. 

We have one laptop, and one Mac computer, usual charging of phones. TV is on around 6-7 hours. 

When i querried it, i was told my bill was quite the average for the condo building. 

Thoughts as to what could be going on here  ? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

I verified the meter reading and it was indeed accurate. 

How many units had you used for 7,500 Baht??

Do you get your bill from the condo management or direct from MEA/PEA?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Even at 9 Baht KWh that's extreme for that amount of usage. I hope the OP will give us more insight. 2,000 Baht per month would be more realistic based on stated use - so long as the OP is paying MEA/PEA rates and not inflated rates by landlord.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My bill in Pattaya is 1500-2100b per month. The month ending January 17, 2024 is 2,182.23 baht for 465 units, billed and paid to the PEA. I run my AC at 23c, 1 unit 18k BTU inverter for 12-14 hours daily, 1 unit 18K BTU old R22 AC for 2 hours daily, 1 refrigerator, 1 TV, 2 hot water showers per day, 24 hrs CCTV 7 cameras, LED lights, 2 or 3computers, 3 or 4 phones.

Edited by Banana7

37 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

How much do you pay per unit of electricity?

Condo's are notorious for padding electricity bills.

How so? Every condo I lived in, the bill comes from MEA or PEA. Are you saying the MEA or PEA are padding electricity bills of condos?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How so? Every condo I lived in, the bill comes from MEA or PEA. Are you saying the MEA or PEA are padding electricity bills of condos?

My condo bills in Chiang Mai always came from the Management Company rather than directly from PEA.

• Agree 2

Okay so on my last bill ...

it says i used 1430 kWh. 

Again, i need to stress the only thing we are using any different to the US, is the air conditioning. We do keep it on at night in two rooms. Nothing else is different. 

Bill has come to 7 and half thousand Baht. Bill has Mea authority on the top. 

Edited by JoeyMac

20 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Whatever dude.

So you don’t know where his condo is, you don’t know if he bought it or is renting it, and if he is renting, you have no idea how much he is paying …. you seem to have a few issues  ¯\_()_/¯

19 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

it says i used 1430 kWh. 

Again, i need to stress the only thing we are using any different to the US, is the air conditioning. We do keep it on at night in two rooms. Nothing else is different. 

I would think that two a/c units on all night plus intermittent day use could knock up a 7,000 baht bill.

Does that unit rate include VAT and FT charge?

Edited by Tropicalevo

24 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

it says i used 1430 kWh. 

How big are your AC units, how many BTUs?  Something is drawing lots of power and basically tripling your bill. Based on my usage, which is similar to yours, I estimate your usage should be 600 Kwh or less, if you have modern ACs 18K BTU or less.

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I would think that two a/c units on all night plus intermittent day use could knock up a 7,000 baht bill.

Does that unit rate include VAT and FT charge?

There are two separate figures around 600 baht each, which i assume are the VAT at FT charges. Yes it is the total bill. 

• Thumbs Up 1