UK Speaker opposes Trump address to MPs

webfact

22 hours ago, Grouse said:

Good man, Bercow ?

Please read what Bercow said ........    "  I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations,"

Contrary to the introduction to this story, he did NOT cite  "Trump's temporary immigration ban as a factor. "

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Lokie said:

As speaker of the house Mr Bercow's job is to act neutral and ensure fair play etc. He has no business giving a statement on his personal opinion of President Trump nor any of his policies and no one is interested in Bercow's opinion either.

After he has been called in for attitude adjustment all will be well, the little man will carry on with his duties as per his remit and the US president will address both houses, such as his standing as leader of the free world which is also the correct protocol between two such countries as the UK and USA.

no his job is to oversee the behaviour of members of the house of commons and the day to day running of the house so it is well within his remit, and Trump might think he is leader of the free world but that is only Trumps opinion, the free world is a loosely knit group of countries who do not always agree with each other and can think and act independently unlike the warsaw pact countries of the USSR era and i wonder how many MP's have contacted the speaker about the concerns ot their constituents

14 hours ago, Lokie said:

Exactly, 

He has overstepped the line as I stated, he works for the Parliament and sitting Government - not against it.

A few hundred years ago heads would have been rolling or the gallows and the long drop. We would not be having these distractions from waste of time Re-mainers and anti-Trump leftists. 

no he works for parliament full stop he does not work for the sitting goverment 

An author, who wrote a book about Trump several years ago, was invited by one of the Koch brothers to go an play golf at one of Trump's courses.  When the men showed up, Trump was there.  The author went up to Trump to congratulate him on winning the presidency.  Trump, in an instant fit of anger, then threw the author off the course.  Koch left with the author.  They went to another golf course, which they said was much nicer.

Note to British lawmakers:  a vote against Trump, for any reason, will compel Trump to revert to  his 7 year old angry character.  He will bad-mouth you, he will denigrate your culture, and he will ban you from functions at any of the many properties he owns.  He is the poster boy of vindictiveness.  You've been warned.

14 hours ago, Lokie said:

Exactly, 

He has overstepped the line as I stated, he works for the Parliament and sitting Government - not against it.

A few hundred years ago heads would have been rolling or the gallows and the long drop. We would not be having these distractions from waste of time Re-mainers and anti-Trump leftists. 

and yes a few hunded years ago heads were rolling and one of them was Charles 1st who thought kings had a divine right to rule but parliament stood up to him (English civil war)and that is what Bercow is doing standing up for the rights of parliament over the government 

I am no fan of Bercow but on this I am fully behind him.  Let's not forget that he is the Speaker of the House and therefore he is the one who would extend the invitation to Trump to address both Houses.  He may need to be impartial to the political parties but you can't be impartial to doing the right thing (or not).

What you are fully behind is censorship of a democratically elected leader that you just happen to disagree with.

Shameful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

What you are fully behind is censorship of a democratically elected leader that you just happen to disagree with.

Shameful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no Teresa May's invitation to Trump still stands (unless the UK parliament votes to cancel the invitation) and he can say what he wants if he comes to the UK, just not in the houses of parliament and it will be intresting to see what alternative truth he comes up with to explain why he is not being invited to speak in the UK parliament 

15 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

no Teresa May's invitation to Trump still stands (unless the UK parliament votes to cancel the invitation) and he can say what he wants if he comes to the UK, just not in the houses of parliament and it will be intresting to see what alternative truth he comes up with to explain why he is not being invited to speak in the UK parliament 

Probably better for Trump's creditably not to address both Houses of Parliament with his propensity for false / misleading content in his speeches.

Edited by simple1

Probably better for Trump's creditably not to address both Houses of Parliament with his propensity for false / misleading content in his speeches.

Yes, since naturally the Mother of Parliaments has never in its long history been the scene of lies and deception.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

and yes a few hunded years ago heads were rolling and one of them was Charles 1st who thought kings had a divine right to rule but parliament stood up to him (English civil war)and that is what Bercow is doing standing up for the rights of parliament over the government 

That is a misleading summary of the cause of the English Civil War.Charles the First was a rotten and obstinate monarch but the Protectorate was no less arbitrary and in some ways more dictatorial, and Cromwell was no standard bearer for parliamentary democracy.Most don't realise that the leadership on both Roundhead and Cavalier sides was landed gentry.Anyway the English people were fully behind the restoration of Charles the Second.

17 hours ago, Lokie said:

Exactly, 

Good god, surely you're not pro Brexit AND pro Trump? How awful for you ?

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

That is a misleading summary of the cause of the English Civil War.Charles the First was a rotten and obstinate monarch but the Protectorate was no less arbitrary and in some ways more dictatorial, and Cromwell was no standard bearer for parliamentary democracy.Most don't realise that the leadership on both Roundhead and Cavalier sides was landed gentry.Anyway the English people were fully behind the restoration of Charles the Second.

I was not referring to how the conflict evolved but to how it began and it began because Charles dissoved parliament for a number of years until he needed taxes to be raised to pay for a war and he recalled parliament so that taxes could be raised but parliament refused, charles threatened to arrest those MP's who defied him and that was the cause of the fighting begining and at this time although Cromwell was an MP he was not the famous leader of troops that he later became, what diffrence does it make if a large majority were in favour of the restoration of the monarchy, this was  past the end of the civil war and the English republic ended when Charles the second returned

Edited by yardrunner

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Bercow a leftie and re-mainer?  News to me.  Always looking to hang labels on people and as usual, way off of the mark

I was not referring to Bercow...; 

I was talking in general about all the time wasters of elected free world countries governments who whinge on and on about things when the vote has gone against them, you know people like you and a few others posting in the thread. Talk about having to spell things out lol... 

You refer to 'as usual' you are talking rubbish - read my post and try engaging your brain before attempting to give a retort

Yes Grouse,

Pro Brexit and Pro Trump (think he will do more good for US than last three Presidents) IMO of course, I may be wrong, time will answer that though. Oh and Pro UKIP in case you was wondering, Nigel Farage about the best orator involved in UK politics. 

2 hours ago, yardrunner said:

I was not referring to how the conflict evolved but to how it began and it began because Charles dissoved parliament for a number of years until he needed taxes to be raised to pay for a war and he recalled parliament so that taxes could be raised but parliament refused, charles threatened to arrest those MP's who defied him and that was the cause of the fighting begining and at this time although Cromwell was an MP he was not the famous leader of troops that he later became, what diffrence does it make if a large majority were in favour of the restoration of the monarchy, this was  past the end of the civil war and the English republic ended when Charles the second returned

Fair enough and point taken.What I was getting at earlier was that we tend to look at history through a contemporary prism, particularly focusing on what we are interested in now - parliamentary democracy and the challenge to autocracy.In fact, important though these aspects are, we tend to discount factors in which we are not very interested these days, in this case the impact of religious differences.

4 hours ago, yardrunner said:

no he works for parliament full stop he does not work for the sitting goverment 

You really believe that ha ha ha...

He will have been given the third degree by TM by now and reminded of his position, that will be end of it.Trump will address both houses, we will see - then enjoy all the PC whinging TVF posters when it happens lol... 

20 hours ago, Lokie said:

He will have been given the third degree by TM by now and reminded of his position, that will be end of it.Trump will address both houses, we will see - then enjoy all the PC whinging TVF posters when it happens lol... 

There are no arrangements AFAIK for a Trump visit yet.

Despite this, we have someone paid to be neutral (Bercow) publicly opposing something that hasn't been arranged...

Edited by dick dasterdly

21 hours ago, Lokie said:

yes lets wait and see 

12 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

yes

Thanks. In that case I don't see what all the fuss is about. The Wiki link that someone posted in this thread shows that only a few Heads of State have addressed both houses in Westminster Hall but plenty of others have made an address from other places in HP.

"As we have been reminded this week, the most famous words (apart from ‘Order, order’) ever uttered by a Speaker of the House of Commons were those of William Lenthall. When King Charles I entered Parliament in search of the ‘five birds’ in 1642, Lenthall knelt to the King but told him, ‘I have neither eyes to see, nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me.’ It is only on that basis that the Speaker speaks. As soon as John Bercow said — of the speculative possibility that Donald Trump should address both Houses of Parliament — ‘I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and sexism’ meant that the speech should not take place, he was out of order. His strong feelings are irrelevant, and it is unparliamentary of him to express them. Mr Bercow says he was putting forward the views of many MPs. The phrasing of the question from the Labour MP Stephen Doughty, which prompted Mr Bercow’s answer, certainly suggests the thing was cooked up between them. But Speaker Lenthall did not say ‘as some MPs are pleased to direct me’: he was speaking of the will of the whole House. Mr Bercow took no steps to ascertain that will. As a result of his exaltation of self over role, ‘Now does he feel his title hang loose about him, like a giant’s robe upon a dwarfish thief.’"

Charles Moore in The Spectator

On 08/02/2017 at 6:18 PM, Lokie said:

I was not referring to Bercow...; 

I was talking in general about all the time wasters of elected free world countries governments who whinge on and on about things when the vote has gone against them, you know people like you and a few others posting in the thread. Talk about having to spell things out lol... 

You refer to 'as usual' you are talking rubbish - read my post and try engaging your brain before attempting to give a retort

Yes Grouse,

Pro Brexit and Pro Trump (think he will do more good for US than last three Presidents) IMO of course, I may be wrong, time will answer that though. Oh and Pro UKIP in case you was wondering, Nigel Farage about the best orator involved in UK politics. 

You're being ironic of course! No sane person would hold such views. Good humour though ?

( I were wondering about UKIP)

Edited by Grouse

On 08/02/2017 at 11:18 AM, Lokie said:

Oh and Pro UKIP in case you was wondering,

I doubt anyone was wondering....

On 08/02/2017 at 11:18 AM, Lokie said:

Nigel Farage about the best orator involved in UK politics. 

How exactly is Farage involved in UK politics? I know he lost his seat during the last election and resigned as leader of his failed party.

Is he even an MP?

Edited by onthesoi