Russian Tourist dies after being hit by a Ducati Super bike on Pattaya second road

webfact

50 minutes ago, hansnl said:

And probably the Songtaew finished it all off.

And who says the bike was going too fast, it was going fast, but so was the bahtbus.

But easy, a foreigner was killed by another foreigner.

End of story.

Sure, if someone get charged, it won't be the baht taxi driver.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, hobobo said:

That's a heartless statement! Why not blame the Ducati rider (regardless of nationality) for speeding. He should be reminded that the speed limit in built up areas is 60kph (and in some even 50kph), and if he obeyed the law he could have avoided the accident altogether.

So who had the speed gun,a big loud bike may not be a speeding bike.a scooter could of done the same job of throwing the Russian in front of the baht bus.as for whose to blame...let's blindfold you and keep sending you across the road.he walked across the road without looking.the same mentality as stepping out of a plane before its landed.

2 hours ago, phil2407 said:

In the UK we had the Tufty Club and  the Green X man - both about crossing roads - look and listen - look left then right then left again - if safe cross but keep looking 

Pity the Russian never watched the green cross code as we learnt as children.he might of been enjoying a cool beer outside the 7/11 now.

13 hours ago, The man from udon said:

So who had the speed gun,a big loud bike may not be a speeding bike.a scooter could of done the same job of throwing the Russian in front of the baht bus.as for whose to blame...let's blindfold you and keep sending you across the road.he walked across the road without looking.the same mentality as stepping out of a plane before its landed.

The man from udon,  I didn't have a speed gun in my hands, but I can tell you from personal experience that when a man is hit by a bike or vehicle at 50kph, he wouldn't be catapulted across the road (Mr.Volkov catapulted through the air before being hit by a baht bus, also travelling at high speed. The Ducati slammed into another parked vehicle and the driver was left lying in the middle of the road.)

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Do they drive on the same side of the road as here?  I know when I first came, it took me some time to get use to this...always looking the wrong way!

RIP to this poor chap. 

Always look both ways twice at least. 

12 hours ago, hobobo said:

The man from udon,  I didn't have a speed gun in my hands, but I can tell you from personal experience that when a man is hit by a bike or vehicle at 50kph, he wouldn't be catapulted across the road (Mr.Volkov catapulted through the air before being hit by a baht bus, also travelling at high speed. The Ducati slammed into another parked vehicle and the driver was left lying in the middle of the road.)

I didn't say you having a speed gun,I will stick to my cart thanks.as for not knowing what I'm talking about I've owned bikes all of 35 years and ridden around countries you can only dream about.it doesn't take much to send a person flying,take a look at motocrossing,some of the riders are not doing great speed and get thrown into the air.

Edited by Rimmer

Nothing will be done.Nothing will change.Nothing will happen.They dont know the road signs,understand what traffic lights are for,half of them cant read.90 % havent got licences,or insurance.Never been taught to drive,just jump in a car

when they are 12 years old,and the old man shows them.And,they dont care.Nor do the police.And the only reason you see the rescue cars belting down the road,is so they can be the first to dip your pockets,rings,watches and folding money,before anybody else does.

Nothing will be done.Nothing will change.Nothing will happen.They dont know the road signs,understand what traffic lights are for,half of them cant read.90 % havent got licences,or insurance.Never been taught to drive,just jump in a car
when they are 12 years old,and the old man shows them.And,they dont care.Nor do the police.And the only reason you see the rescue cars belting down the road,is so they can be the first to dip your pockets,rings,watches and folding money,before anybody else does.

Russians??

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Me too.  But if you have to step a bit out into the road to see both ways, which way do you look first. LOL

Good point but it takes you less than a second to look both ways. Unless there is someone driving at crazy speeds you should be ok .  

2 hours ago, The man from udon said:

I didn't say you having a speed gun,I will stick to my cart thanks.as for not knowing what I'm talking about I've owned bikes all of 35 years and ridden around countries you can only dream about.it doesn't take much to send a person flying,take a look at motocrossing,some of the riders are not doing great speed and get thrown into the air.how about you stick a bucket on your nugget and go play on the hi way.

Bikers are on bikes, the Russian was on the road.  Experience does not compensate for stupidity.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

you only have to listen in the small hours of the morning and you can hear the high reving vehicles both cars and MB on the city streets of Pattaya, idiots racing around on high power machines/vehicles likely with drink on board, it is of little wonder that these things happen, even during the day everyone seems to be in some sort of hurry to get somewhere fast, there should be a general city wide speed limit of 25kmh with calming on all major roads, people will soon get used to the fact

Your first sentence also describes Chiang Mai to a T. It is not only the illegal pipes making the noise they sit right outside my building and rev er up. The just for show police never show up. Its a farce really. 

8 hours ago, smedly said:

you only have to listen in the small hours of the morning and you can hear the high reving vehicles both cars and MB on the city streets of Pattaya, idiots racing around on high power machines/vehicles likely with drink on board, it is of little wonder that these things happen, even during the day everyone seems to be in some sort of hurry to get somewhere fast, there should be a general city wide speed limit of 25kmh with calming on all major roads, people will soon get used to the fact

At night most of the Thai drivers aren't going anywhere. They're just cruising for the sake of it. You'll probably find that a lot of cars are doing circuits of Beach Road and 2nd Road... gotta show off their wheels.

2nd Road is extremely hazardous for pedestrians trying to cross in most places, most of the time, to begin with.  Add the ridiculous speeds of most motorcycle riders and mototaxis and their tendency to pop out at full throttle from behind other vehicles, like baht busses and the large coach busses, and it's a game of Russian Roulette.  If you're new to the game, wear your running shoes and do NOT place your bet on the zebra-striped crossings!

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Always look both ways twice at least. 

Agreed!  I saw a girl get hit by a scooter taxi last year.  The scooter taxi was driving down the wrong side of the road.  The girl was coming out from between 2 parked trucks.  Looked right, stepped out, and bang.  As you say, I now look both ways!

From the article, it appears the Ducati rider was critically injured but not dead.  The accident does appear to have been his fault, however.   Would it be "good" if he WERE dead?  Not saying that although I doubt his dead victim's survivors would be shedding any tears for him, but I do hope he pays dearly for his carelessness and the death he's caused if he should happen to recover.

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

From the article, it appears the Ducati rider was critically injured but not dead.  The accident does appear to have been his fault, however.   Would it be "good" if he WERE dead?  Not saying that although I doubt his dead victim's survivors would be shedding any tears for him, but I do hope he pays dearly for his carelessness and the death he's caused if he should happen to recover.

I have not seen a report the bike was speeding. What has been said is the Russian walked into the path of the bike. 

I have had this happen to my when i was going very slowly. Two Russian women just walked in front of me to cross the road, then started shouting at me as i just avoided to miss them. Bike riders get a lot of grief, not always correctly. In my view, a person walking in the road is the problem. At least until speeding is proved.

8 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I always wonder why these emergency response teams perform cpr when some of the victims have lost loads of body parts or decapitated.do they still get to bill them for heart treatment or something.example.  Tourist attacked by crab on beach,emergency medical services perform cpr?

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

2nd Road is extremely hazardous for pedestrians trying to cross in most places, most of the time, to begin with.  Add the ridiculous speeds of most motorcycle riders and mototaxis and their tendency to pop out at full throttle from behind other vehicles, like baht busses and the large coach busses, and it's a game of Russian Roulette.  If you're new to the game, wear your running shoes and do NOT place your bet on the zebra-striped crossings!

Zebra crossings are only a form of road art work.the people who paint them haven't a clue what they are for.in fact they should all be removed as they are a false sense of security for tourists.

13 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't think you could travel at high speeds on Soi 8!  The topic says 2nd road.  I've seen bikes going crazy fast on that road.  Especially at that time of the morning when it's relatively quiet.

Edited.

agreed even more reason to look !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In your mind! 

The report did not say he was speeding. It was a road, the Russian walked in front of him.

It said in the initial report that an eye witness reported a speeding bike and also a speeding baht bus. But people will have different views on the speed a vehicle is travelling i suppose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

12 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Idiots on large and noisy motorbikes regularly use the main roads as racetracks in the early hours of the morning.  As someone has said above, the problem is the traffic police not doing their job.

Apparently this Ducati model is quieter than a 3inch vibrator or the Russian was deaf as well as blind.