Russian Tourist dies after being hit by a Ducati Super bike on Pattaya second road

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, nakhonandy said:

In the UK when I was a kid they used to have regular road safety slots on TV. 

The emphasis was on look twice and in both directions, it worked, I still do it now.

Life saviour in many countries, not only in asia.. Here in China you should have a 360 view all the time as they attack from all angles.

I just wish they could get the reporting correct.

This morning, on the 103FM pattaya radio station, they said he was killed on Beach Road. You wonder who gives the facts in the first place.

I know the poor guy is dead but differences like this make you wonder about the accuracy of local news reports either on line or the radio.

On 8 February 2017 at 2:09 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

In civilized countries there are speed limits which are enforced. Many a***ole bikers in Pattaya seem to think they can ride as fast as they like and its upto pedestrians to jump out of the way. These lazy, arrogant p****s should try walking or using a baht bus. Too many bikes in Pattaya already - tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles.

It's up to pedestrians to look both ways before crossing, just like any civilised country.

"Expats should not be allowed to buy motorcycles" Why?

"Too many bikes in Pattaya" Really?

The opposite applies. Too many baht buses. Try driving along 2nd road and getting around the countless baht buses suddenly swerving over to the pavement or suddenly pulling out in front of you. It's a nightmare. 

The last thing I would do is to buy a car or jump on a baht bus and crawl at a standstill thru Pattaya.

Some roads should be given motorcycle or delivery access only like soi Boukhao.   

2 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

It's up to pedestrians to look both ways before crossing, just like any civilised country.

"Expats should not be allowed to buy motorcycles" Why?

"Too many bikes in Pattaya" Really?

The opposite applies. Too many baht buses. Try driving along 2nd road and getting around the countless baht buses suddenly swerving over to the pavement or suddenly pulling out in front of you. It's a nightmare. 

The last thing I would do is to buy a car or jump on a baht bus and crawl at a standstill thru Pattaya.

Some roads should be given motorcycle or delivery access only like soi Boukhao.   

I agree with you about making soi buakhao motorcycles and deliveries only - would make walking down there far more pleasant. What is incredibly annoying is the amount of expats I see jumping on motorcycles at every opportunity rather than risk walking a few hundred yards. I know its hot out here but fat, lazy people shouldn't be afraid to get a sweat on now and again - its healthy.

I agree with you about making soi buakhao motorcycles and deliveries only - would make walking down there far more pleasant. What is incredibly annoying is the amount of expats I see jumping on motorcycles at every opportunity rather than risk walking a few hundred yards. I know its hot out here but fat, lazy people shouldn't be afraid to get a sweat on now and again - its healthy.

Haha I also see many Thais jumping on a motorbike taxi just to go to the next soi. I tell my Thai friend, surely you can walk 200-300 yards!

Soi Buakhao is a nightmare. Have to be careful walking and sometimes traffic a a complete standstill when cars/trucks are trying to get onto soi lungkhee or any other side soi.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

...Russians have many amazing skills----SA (situational awareness) is NOT one of them. Skip any mention of muang Thai and head to YouTube and type in "Russian Pedestrians." I lay my case out before you---Russians love to temp fate and enjoy stepping out in front of cement trucks, speeding taxis and Ducati motorbikes. Any sane person in charge of their faculties can HEAR the growl of a Ducati prior to seeing it. Lotsa vids on YT that show Russians stepping out in front of vehicles, trying to act like Moses....as in raising their right hand, attempting to halt traffic.

Russians play the same game with cars. Why do you think Russians all install a FORWARD viewing recording dash cam?

A Russian car driver can be stopped in traffic, intentionally hit by the car in front of him and then shaken down. Dead or not---did any medical authority do an alcohol test on the deceased Russian desiring passage to his afterlife?

Motorbike drivers in the Kingdom are all very good. Anyone worth their chops inherently know to avoid Beach Road as well as Second Road. 

3 hours ago, burgdawg said:

...Russians have many amazing skills----SA (situational awareness) is NOT one of them. Skip any mention of muang Thai and head to YouTube and type in "Russian Pedestrians." I lay my case out before you---Russians love to temp fate and enjoy stepping out in front of cement trucks, speeding taxis and Ducati motorbikes. Any sane person in charge of their faculties can HEAR the growl of a Ducati prior to seeing it. Lotsa vids on YT that show Russians stepping out in front of vehicles, trying to act like Moses....as in raising their right hand, attempting to halt traffic.

Russians play the same game with cars. Why do you think Russians all install a FORWARD viewing recording dash cam?

A Russian car driver can be stopped in traffic, intentionally hit by the car in front of him and then shaken down. Dead or not---did any medical authority do an alcohol test on the deceased Russian desiring passage to his afterlife?

Motorbike drivers in the Kingdom are all very good. Anyone worth their chops inherently know to avoid Beach Road as well as Second Road. 

Highlighting this would make me want to check further as to why they just walk out into the roads....

What may not be known to many of you is in many Russian and former soviet states, many Middle East countries and i am sure others, pedestrians have the right of way. They can walk off the curb at anytime and the vehicles in both directs must stop to let them cross. Failure for a vehicle to stop will result in an arrest and possible jail time. This might seem mental to many from Europe, USA, Australia..... but it is a fact. I work in Kazakhstan and its a very heavy fine not to stop and most definitely jail if you hit someone. Things are starting to change but at the moment only large traffic light controlled junctions will you see people stop and wait for the green man or a tune that it is safe to cross. Any straight piece of road or even dual carriageway they will just step off and start walking, regardless if a vehicle is speeding towards them.

That is why driving around any tourist areas in Thailand must be done with extreme caution because they will just walk into the road expecting you to stop.