Tour counter operated by foreigner

I see at least 2 shops with Russians (I think) doing it all the Time in Pattaya don't know if it's allowed . I've always wondered myself.

And I just remembered I got sold a Tour by a English (if my memory is right) man in Krabi.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi, does anyone know if it's allowed for a foreigner to operate a tour counter and selling tours to tourists?
Is it possible to get a work permit to do that?
Thanks

As long as you pay right pll its orite 55

Its not allowed to be cop too but here we got 16 year old in full uniform 55 TIT

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you say "operate" do you mean own the business or just work in one.

Most replies seem to assume you mean to work or manage the business.

Does any prohibition also mean you cannot "invest" in a business owned and operated by a Thai. E.g. you lend money to a partner that then has to repay you with interest.

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Prohibited Occupations in Thailand

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

That is the law of the land, but since when has the laws of Thailand ever deterred foreigners from running businesses or working here.

Many of the expats I have known and know are dabbling into something that earns them money, whether it be online businesses, using Thais to front their businesses or operating behind closed doors. My guess is that foreigners operating here outside the law must be on a massive scale. How many times do we hear, I know I`m not allowed to run a certain type of business in Thailand, but that`s OK because it`s in my Thai wife`s name, which they consider lets them off the hook.

I am sure the OP is well capable of checking the laws himself, tons of information online, and probably all ready knows the answer to his question.

9 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Isn't it possible if the farang owns the business and employs enough Thais to get a work permit?

Actually, no. As Poorsucker made it clear, prohibited occupations really does mean prohibited, there are no legal loopholes around this.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Actually, no. As Poorsucker made it clear, prohibited occupations really does mean prohibited, there are no legal loopholes around this.

In poorsucker's post an exception was made for hotel management, I submit that management may be the key for many businesses. While the Thai employees may do the actual selling and booking; the foreign owner could be around to talk to the tourists. Certainly appears to be the case in most farang-owned businesses and TIT.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smotherb said:

In poorsucker's post an exception was made for hotel management, I submit that management may be the key for many businesses. While the Thai employees may do the actual selling and booking; the foreign owner could be around to talk to the tourists. Certainly appears to be the case in most farang-owned businesses and TIT.

Perfect. So any Farlangs that wish to be tour operators or tour agents only need to give themselves the titles of hotel managers and then Bob`s ya uncle, they are in business. So according to you, whatever businesses Farlangs want to get their fingers into in Thailand, then all they need to do is register themselves as hotel management.

Does anyone else have anymore valuable advice as to how the OP can get around the legalities of working a prohibited occupation in this golden land of opportunities?

• Like 2

You can simply be a consultant for the company you wish to provide services to....training their thai staff on how to sell tour tickets, etc.

Not sure how long of a training program you'd need. I personally would prefer to work somewhere where i'm in the back of the house.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Perfect. So any Farlangs that wish to be tour operators or tour agents only need to give themselves the titles of hotel managers and then Bob`s ya uncle, they are in business. So according to you, whatever businesses Farlangs want to get their fingers into in Thailand, then all they need to do is register themselves as hotel management.

Does anyone else have anymore valuable advice as to how the OP can get around the legalities of working a prohibited occupation in this golden land of opportunities?

Or whatever business management. It seems to be happening.  Why are so many bars, restaurants, resorts, teacher's agencies, etc. "owned" and operated by farangs. Ownership of businesses, as I understand it, is handled differently than simple employees. That list of Thai only jobs is for employees, is it not? And, by the way, calm down, I am asking questions, not advocating doing it. I do not get into investing in businesses or property anywhere I cannot cleanly own them. 

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Or whatever business management. It seems to be happening.  Why are so many bars, restaurants, resorts, teacher's agencies, etc. "owned" and operated by farangs. Ownership of businesses, as I understand it, is handled differently than simple employees. That list of Thai only jobs is for employees, is it not? And, by the way, calm down, I am asking questions, not advocating doing it. I do not get into investing in businesses or property anywhere I cannot cleanly own them. 

There are certain occupations and businesses Farlang can legitimately manage and work in Thailand. But they have to fulfill the regulations and criteria that for many does not make them doing so a viable proposition and why lots of them operate via the back door. I have yet to find a bar owner that is not using a Thai to front the business and not having to grease palms to turn a blind eye. Usually teacher agencies are run by various religious or charity organisations and are all ready government approved. 

Just now, cyberfarang said:

There are certain occupations and businesses Farlang can legitimately manage and work in Thailand. But they have to fulfill the regulations and criteria that for many does not make them doing so a viable proposition and why lots of them operate via the back door. I have yet to find a bar owner that is not using a Thai to front the business and not having to grease palms to turn a blind eye. Usually teacher agencies are run by various religious or charity organisations and are all ready government approved. 

Well, if you'll remember, I said the Thai employees would be selling and booking the tours, but the farang would be around to schmooze with the tourists. I have also seen farangs behind the bar they own, showing rooms at their resorts, and greeting prospective clients at bike rental places.

So, yes, I agree many farang-owned businesses are run "via the back door," as you say. However, most teacher agencies in and around my city are at least partially- if not wholly-owned and managed by farangs.

Greasing the palm, facilitation fees, tea money, payola, boksheice, or little brown envelopes are rather common--the higher up the ladder you pay them the more legal they seem to be. 

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

......And, by the way, calm down, I am asking questions, not advocating doing it. I do not get into investing in businesses or property anywhere I cannot cleanly own them. ....

Well, good luck doing that in Thailand.  The best you can hope for is a long term lease, lol.

Edited by 4evermaat

1 minute ago, 4evermaat said:

Well, good luck doing that in Thailand.  The best you can hope for is a long term lease, lol.

Good luck doing what?  Not investing in Thailand? Oh for sure, I own only vehicles and household furnishings here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Isn't it possible if the farang owns the business and employs enough Thais to get a work permit?

Yes it is, but that isn't what the OP is asking.

A foreigner can own up to 49% of the business whether or not they actually work for the company. 

They could be employed as a director or possibly as a general manager, but would have to list their duties on the application, and unless "selling tours" was included and accepted they wouldn't legally be able to work at that part of the business.

There is no way the department of labour would issue a work permit to a "foreigner to operate a tour counter and selling tours to tourists".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes it is, but that isn't what the OP is asking.

A foreigner can own up to 49% of the business whether or not they actually work for the company. 

They could be employed as a director or possibly as a general manager, but would have to list their duties on the application, and unless "selling tours" was included and accepted they wouldn't legally be able to work at that part of the business.

There is no way the department of labour would issue a work permit to a "foreigner to operate a tour counter and selling tours to tourists".

You too missed it; I said the Thai employees would be selling and booking the tours; the farang just talking to the tourists

34 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You too missed it; I said the Thai employees would be selling and booking the tours; the farang just talking to the tourists

Yes it should be noted that people booking these tours will almost always be foreigners speaking a different language to Thai.

How many languages can an average Thai tour operator speak? English, Russian, German, Chinese , Italian, Swedish, Portuguese, Hebrew etc. 

A farang would be needed to help the tourist book a tour. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes it should be noted that people booking these tours will almost always be foreigners speaking a different language to Thai.

How many languages can an average Thai tour operator speak? English, Russian, German, Chinese , Italian, Swedish, Portuguese, Hebrew etc. 

A farang would be needed to help the tourist book a tour. 

Well, now, you're bringing logic into it. Don't you know that's unfair?

Besides, how many farangs speak, " English, Russian, German, Chinese , Italian, Swedish, Portuguese, Hebrew etc. " or do you need eight farangs?

Edited by smotherb
to add final thought

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Talking about what? If they are talking about the tours and cost etc. they'd need a work permit.

Foreigners cannot legally get involved at the business end of this type of business. The only way it happens is by paying off the police.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Talking about what? If they are talking about the tours and cost etc. they'd need a work permit.

Foreigners cannot legally get involved at the business end of this type of business. The only way it happens is by paying off the police.

May be, paying off or making then a partner.