Public Health Ministry encourages Thais to make babies with cringe-worthy campaign

webfact

Public Health Ministry encourages Thais to make babies with cringe-worthy campaign

By Coconuts Bangkok 

babies_2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is worried that the Thai population will stop increasing and are trying to encourage Thais to have more babies with a weird new campaign.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn announced yesterday that the campaign, titled “Rosy-cheeked Thai ladies bear babies for the nation with wonderful vitamins”  should boost the birth rate, according to Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

If that campaign doesn’t make Thais want to jump each other’s bones and make babies, we don’t know what will.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/02/09/public-health-ministry-encourages-thais-make-babies-cringe-worthy-campaign

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-02-09

Now I am confused.

On one hand, they don't want teenage pregnancy -- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967946-health-ministry-aims-to-cut-teenage-pregnancy-rate-by-50-percent/ --

On the other hand, they want more babies...

And then the country girls all say that they have to have babies before the age of 25 because it's too late after that. That they would be too old to have babies after 25. With 3 kids being the magic number. Their words, not mine.

Don't the government realise that global over-population is causing all sorts of social & environmental problems ?

Why must ever-more-growth still be their mantra, why not try better-quality-of-life for slightly-fewer people, instead ? :cool:

19 minutes ago, ezflip said:

Now I am confused.

On one hand, they don't want teenage pregnancy -- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967946-health-ministry-aims-to-cut-teenage-pregnancy-rate-by-50-percent/ --

On the other hand, they want more babies...

Not too confusing really.  They want married women with education and jobs preferably to have more babies.  They do not want single teenage girls to have more babies.

11 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Don't the government realise that global over-population is causing all sorts of social & environmental problems ?

Why must ever-more-growth still be their mantra, why not try better-quality-of-life for slightly-fewer people, instead ? :cool:

I agree with you.  The world would be much better off if it learned how to adjust with fewer people.  The argument, which I don't buy into, is that we need more young people to work and pay taxes to support an aging population.  Hopefully robots will be perfected to be the ultimate personal care provider when we are all old and grey.

4 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

Not too confusing really.  They want married women with education and jobs preferably to have more babies.  They do not want single teenage girls to have more babies.

To the contrary Newbee. They want women to have babies on the hip and at heel rather than having a proper education. If they have an education they may wake up to what is really going on around them and how they are being socially engineered to conform to the new regime.

The planet doesn't need more babies, it needs less. How about a campaign to promote healthy and happy homosexual or celebate lifestyles without  the enormous personal and environmental  cost of pushing out yet more babies into a critically overcrowded world. 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

“Rosy-cheeked Thai ladies bear babies for the nation with wonderful vitamins”

Yeah and make sure they all come fair skinned with a genetic structure to grow to 1.80m, and an Einstein IQ over 160, resistant to drug abuse and development of anti-junta sentiments. It would be easier to ban natural reproduction and replace it with exclusive cloning of those in charge. 

17 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

While educated mum is at work, the teenage kids are riding around on motorbikes, shagging, and making more of those undesirable babies.  Mum is so exasperated, she dumps them off like a load of dirty laundry at the grandparents' house, where they shall receive a ploper upbringing. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. :mad: 

Edited by 55Jay

13 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

To the contrary Newbee. They want women to have babies on the hip and at heel rather than having a proper education. If they have an education they may wake up to what is really going on around them and how they are being socially engineered to conform to the new regime.

In which case why not encourage teenage pregnancies, or at least have the government stop making pronouncements against them?  Or take it a step further, incentivize thai teenage boys to knock up their girlfriends by offering cash, motorcycles or other goodies for every successful knock up.  Oh to be so cynical in the face of evidence to the contrary . . .

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

A campaign to make fathers responsible for the upkeep of their off springs would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Absolutely, and not just in Thailand.  I'd love to see such a proposal in the US, where 75% of black babies are born out of wedlock.  Black Daddies Matter!

I've got a great logo: 

Zoom-zoom to Boom-boom: Thailand needs you to pop out a baby today!

Thailand probably needs to pass a law that takes away young couple's smart phones until they pop out a kid.  One kid: Mom gets her smart phone back.  Two kids: Dad gets his smart phone back.  Than they can go back to being distracted.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

DAFT! - what about actual policies to support.  Mother care allowance, proper day care centres government funded etc..  Oh and allow people to enjoy themselves - thats a good start.

Not really needed.  In Thai culture its highly likely and culturally accepted that the children go back to the villages to be raised by the grandparents while the adult kids pursue their careers.  The parents subsidize the grand-parents to care for the kids.  It's a win-win.  Which I agree with: children need to be brought up within their family units, not by some stranger, families bringing up family eliminated the need for government funded programs to pay surrogates to care for children which means less need for tax revenues to fund something that is not needed by Thai society.  Western societies could learn a lesson from the Thai model. 

Edited by connda

what they are doing is telling folks there is a problem (again)....  and pointing a finger somewhere else..... and copying China again (that also is still reversing it's One Child policy quite recently again with a campaign as well) 

what is the real problem is assumptions about growth that the health care schemes are based on.  and that is not just true for Thailand.  that's one the USA shares in spades.

this is a serious funding issue.  it will need to be solved.

just watch and see.  the 2015 Boehner Obama budget deal expires in March 2017. 

Thailand just has different approaches to it.  and copying China's new push as well, didn't you follow along that yet?  

Edited by maewang99

I think that they are worried,in case,one day,mixed race Thai children may outnumber the 100% Thais.To have a couple of mixed race Thais in the government would never do.It is the Thai belief that mixed race Thais can never be true Thai.And they will never be accepted as such.So what happens in 100 years or so Where the educated mixed race Thais,out number the 100 percenter's.?

And they start getting into job's where they are not welcome?

1 hour ago, connda said:

Not really needed.  In Thai culture its highly likely and culturally accepted that the children go back to the villages to be raised by the grandparents while the adult kids pursue their careers.  The parents subsidize the grand-parents to care for the kids.  It's a win-win.  Which I agree with: children need to be brought up within their family units, not by some stranger, families bringing up family eliminated the need for government funded programs to pay surrogates to care for children which means less need for tax revenues to fund something that is not needed by Thai society.  Western societies could learn a lesson from the Thai model. 

What!

Kids need to be brought up by their mother and father, not lumped on grandparents who are old, tired and out of touch with modern society.

Reigntax

Here here,you dead right.grand parents are that are too old,can sometimes be worse than the parents.We have a girl child,in the village,who is being cared for by the GP' while she 'works' in a restaurant' in Pattaya.Quite often we hear the shouting and screaming and crying of the girl,about 4 years old,we hear the GM yelling and the regular slapping of the kid.While the old man always seems to have money for Loa koa and fags.But what can you do? There are no social services to complain to,and being a felang,i dont want to get involved.But i would never forgive my self if ......

My Mrs says "dont get involved,this isnt England"

15 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

The planet doesn't need more babies, it needs less. How about a campaign to promote healthy and happy homosexual or celebate lifestyles without  the enormous personal and environmental  cost of pushing out yet more babies into a critically overcrowded world. 

How about stop promoting homsexuality in young children just because the 4 year old boy likes pink or the 4 year old girl likes trucks.  Since the correlation of sexual abuse with minors is a major factor shared by the adult gay community. A few homosexual adults have happy lives, but the vast majority suffer from depression, suicide , promiscuity and are unable to form long term relationships . A great deal of thai male homosexuals end up in bars as young as 13 or 14.

I do agree with you that teaching abstenance until the legal age of 16 is the key. As I teach my child at every opportunity. Masteration is meaningful ????

21 hours ago, webfact said:

should boost the birth rate, according to Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Fat chance with the hospital system under attack as posted on today's topics.I know sex makes babies but its time for people to ponder whether they want to acquire a lifetime life mortgage at the stage the world is in today. Being a parent never ceases.  Its either submarines or nurseries you cannot have it both ways. 

They don't seem to need much encouragement in our village, most of the 14 year old girls are having sex. A large number of girls now don't go to school as they have to look after there kids. The village is full of old people, who have had grandchildren dumped on them. Last year I was asked if I wanted a 4 month old as nobody wanted it.

3 hours ago, connda said:

You can see the fruits of this "win-win" situation in the thousands of big city bars stuffed with Isaan country girls selling their bodies to pay for the upkeep of their children left in the care of relatives. And a bloody depressing sight it is, too, unless you are a sex tourist gloating over the prospect of congress with a girl half your age for a pittance.

While I totally agree that children need a "family" environment, this is rightly the responsibility of the biological parents, who should have jobs which enable them to earn enough for them to raise their own progeny.

Unfortunately, the wealthy minority who control the Thai economy and reap most of its benefits are unwilling to give the working masses a fair return for their productivity - and politicians, to their shame, have done little to address the imbalance.

As to comparisons with the affluent West, when I was a child growing up in the UK in the Fifties, most families were able to live decently with just one breadwinner - usually Dad. Mum's "job" was to take care of the home and kids. But since the Thatcher/Reagan era of deregulation of financial and labour markets, we have been marched backwards to join the Thais. Today, on both sidesof the Atlantic, both parents routinely have to go out to work to pay the family bills - including - the ultimate irony - child care!

If this is progress you can keep it.

Edited by Krataiboy
errors

4 hours ago, OldSiamHand said:

Absolutely, and not just in Thailand.  I'd love to see such a proposal in the US, where 75% of black babies are born out of wedlock.  Black Daddies Matter!

Interestingly that did not use to be the case in the 1920, contrary to popular believe which, of course, blames it on the slavery. The big change (i.e. young, single black mama's) in the 1960, when the welfare state was introduced in the U.S.  Initially in the Netherlands we suffered from the same problem - heck, single mothers were even given priority to rent-protected appartments, but after we made the fathers culpable (DNA) for the financial consequences the number of single mothers that are a burden to the state has dropped to very acceptable levels.