What car? Mazda 2?

Hi all.

I've been looking at buying a new hatch back. The problem is or maybe not a problem is the only car that really stands out is the Mazda 2 1.5 diesel..

Performance combined with great fuel economy..  We do a lot of mileage so to me it stands out a mile from the rest of hatchbacks on sale here in Thailand. I already own a seven year old Mazda 2 1.5 petrol so know the quality of Mazda. 

So my question is "am i misding something, are there other hatchbacks as good?

If your car carry no more than 2 person than a time, then a Mazda 2 Diesel would be a great car. Great Fuel economy.. I recommend you wait till the 15 though, news going around of a minor change Mazda 2 with Mazda's i-Active sense stuff.. Together with cruise control (if that interests you)

If your car regularly seats more than 2, the Mazda 2 really isn't a good choice since the backseat have terrible legroom in my opinion.. Maybe that's because I'm 1.9m tall.. But then again, all hatchback provides similar leg room, maybe the Ford Focus may interest you? But the 1.5 ecoboost still drink more petrol than the Mazda 2... 

EDIT: 

I forgot, or you can wait for the Civic Hatchback. if budget isn't a problem for you. 

Edited by patyh

Mazda 2 XD HB is an absolute great car, but please stick to the dealer for maintenance.

I was involved in the marketing of their OEM oil supplier and a Mazda 2 only takes OEM oil for their transmissions.

Anything else in it and it will break down within 500 meters of the shop. 

Other than that, imho one of the best HBs in that price range for sale right now.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Mazda 2 XD HB is an absolute great car, but please stick to the dealer for maintenance.

I was involved in the marketing of their OEM oil supplier and a Mazda 2 only takes OEM oil for their transmissions.

Anything else in it and it will break down within 500 meters of the shop. 

Other than that, imho one of the best HBs in that price range for sale right now.

"marketing" being the operative word by the sounds of it, so youre  telling me only mazda oil will do even if its another brand same spec?

We bought a Mazda 2 1.5 litre diesel last September.  We don't do many kilos, so far 2,500 kms.  Cannot fault the car.  No problems whatsoever.  Very quick, considering Thai roads, and plenty of room for me when I get to drive it....I am 183cms, but car really was my wife's Christmas present. Paint finish is good. Sound system is good. With a light right foot, the fuel economy is excellent.  My only gripe was the delay in getting an English language handbook, and after receiving two books, I can find no mention of how to programme the Sat Nav, so we learnt by trial and error.  As an aside, when we went to collect the car, the salesman wanted 15,000 baht for the SD card that contains the route information.  When I refused to pay this money, the price fell to 10,000 baht, and then to 9,000 baht if we would pay direct into his bank.  It was then that I said they could keep the 10,000 baht deposit, and we would walk away.  The next day we received a call from  the shop owner to say we could have the SD card free. So we collected the car.

I have owned 7 Mazda's (one was the RX-7 sports car with the rotary engine) in the years as an outside sales rep. Each one went over 100,00 miles without any problems. Religiously followed the maintenance schedule. They were the best cars I ever owned. Ford owned part of Mazda then but has since divested its interest in the company. I sure hope Mazda will keep up the good work.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small car like the Mazda 2.  I seem to see more Toyota Yaris models in parking lots and on the road.  How does the Yaris compare to the Mazda 2?  And, I like the styling of the Nissan March -- the more boxy look appeals to me.  How does the March compare to Mazda 2 and Yaris?

I looked at the mazda 2 HB but went with the sedan as with the fold down rear seat actually had more storage space than the HB. No complaints so far. Fun to drive and loaded with bells and whistles. If my budget allows it would have got the 3 HB as it I a lot bigger and nicer.  Number one complaint no cruise control.

57 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I looked at the mazda 2 HB but went with the sedan as with the fold down rear seat actually had more storage space than the HB. No complaints so far. Fun to drive and loaded with bells and whistles. If my budget allows it would have got the 3 HB as it I a lot bigger and nicer.  Number one complaint no cruise control.

The hatchback will certainly surprise you when you really need the space to load up on items. I was able to load in a kitchen table in which would not be possible with a sedan.

3 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

I have owned 7 Mazda's (one was the RX-7 sports car with the rotary engine) in the years as an outside sales rep. Each one went over 100,00 miles without any problems. Religiously followed the maintenance schedule. They were the best cars I ever owned. Ford owned part of Mazda then but has since divested its interest in the company. I sure hope Mazda will keep up the good work.

did  u  have  to  fill the rx7  with  oil  daily?

14 minutes ago, kannot said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_B3_platform

Are these different models  then?

1st Gen Mazda 2 shared the Festiva platform with 2nd and 3rd generation Mazda 2 on the Fiesta platform, current model (gen 4) Mazda 2 is based on the CX-5 platform.

Very little in common between Mazda and Ford since they went their separate ways a few years back.

Gen 4 Mazda 2 in the USA is sold as a Toyota Yaris.

Edited by Don Mega

You could wait a little while to see what the new Suzuki Swift brings to the table.

Present Swift is a great little car with plenty of room in it both in the back and front and the road holding is superb. Mine has a 1.25l 4 cyl engine and is peppy enough to move four adults with ease.

Would def buy again. 

I had a Mazda long time ago. Peace of Shit then but got me through. I am sure they are better now.

The old models were made with Ford. All new models are now completely designed, engineered and made by Mazda.

We owned 2 Ford-based Mazda 3. They were ok, but the new models are far more better.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small car like the Mazda 2.  I seem to see more Toyota Yaris models in parking lots and on the road.  How does the Yaris compare to the Mazda 2?  And, I like the styling of the Nissan March -- the more boxy look appeals to me.  How does the March compare to Mazda 2 and Yaris?

All are good cars. I would say that Mazda makes the better and more fun cars to drive.

They are more expensive but also offer more safety features.

I think, that Mazda makes the better looking interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect