Ford extend warranty for three models in gear dispute

rooster59

Ford extend warranty for three models in gear dispute

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A7xPilkqaqxpcBcmonPYJvWqZEaB.jpg

Image: Thairath

Ford (Thailand) have announced that they are extending the warranty on clutches on three models involved in complaints regarding erratic gear shift.

Many complaints have been made to trading standards authorities after customers experienced jumpy or even faulty gear shift on the company's Fiesta and Focus models.

Ford said they are extending the warranty on clutches that are part of the 6-speed power shift system. They also assured customers of further help in resolving the issues.

The increased warranty applies to Focus, Fiesta and Ecosport models.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-11

5 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I think you'll find this is old news, originally was announced  approx 2 years ago.

Yes, I got a letter a couple years ago from Ford they had extended the warrentee. Ive had no issues with my clutch so far (2012 1.6L S model)

Edited by RBOP

We've had our 1.6s fiesta for nearly 4 years and the gearbox has had no trouble. I seem to recall reading somewhere that part of the problem was due to people not giving enough accelerator when pulling away. The warranty was extended fro 1 year to 5 years then later to 10 years, I really like the car and would recommend it to anyone especially with the ncap 5 safety. My wife got rear ended on highway 36 yesterday after an IRPC pickup driver ploughed into the back of stationary traffic because of tree cutting in the middle of the highway, she was at the front and the pickup played billiards with 3 cars and the fiesta came out of it best, our car is not written off and going by the pictures I think all the other vehicles will be written off.

21 hours ago, retarius said:

Sadly I bought one. It's not a very good car because of the lousy gearbox. I've already had mine fixed, and it is still faulty. The last Ford product I'll buy.

We, probably sadly, bought a Fiesta EcoBoost for step daughter, almost a couple of years ago now, when Ford were offering 100Kthb off the price.  It had clearly been stood 'somewhere in a field' for many months.

It's has been okay except for a water pump change, not an uncommon fault apparently (leaking slightly). Strange that the Thai version does not have the additional electric water pump as is fitted to the Aussie version.

However one time in Phu Tub Berg whilst trying to drive slowly up a steep potholed hill, with four up, it was a nightmare ... could't decide which gear it wanted ...

No doubt when it's sold that 100Kthb discount would be needed!!    The EV is okay though ....

On 2/11/2017 at 0:00 PM, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Thailand is the only place I have ever spoken to someone who drives a manual car but can't drive an automatic. True!!! I have met 3 so far.

How does that work ?? How can 'not doing something' not be possible.. 

Perhaps lost in translation ?? Or a preference for manual ?? Anyone who can drive manual, can by definition drive auto. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

How does that work ?? How can 'not doing something' not be possible.. 

Perhaps lost in translation ?? Or a preference for manual ?? Anyone who can drive manual, can by definition drive auto. 

Mrs J's UK licence will only let her drive an auto. However here in Thailand she can even drive a Kubota ... ☺

Edited by JAS21

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Mrs J's UK licence will only let her drive an auto. However here in Thailand she can even drive a Kubota ... ☺

Of course... Makes total sense.. 

Lots of people who can only drive auto cannot handle a manual.. But I fail to understand how someone who can drive a manual cannot drive an auto as claimed. 

21 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Of course... Makes total sense.. 

Lots of people who can only drive auto cannot handle a manual.. But I fail to understand how someone who can drive a manual cannot drive an auto as claimed. 

Sorry LLOS I was taking the pi**.(Kubota was the hint) ... sorry it was silly season after lunch drinkees. Of course she can drive a manual . But in the UK we only had an auto and that is what she took her test in ... 

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I have just been told today by a Tech at Ford that they have reduced the warranty on the clutches to 5 Years but the TCM module is now 10 years.  Anyone else heard that ... 

According to some letters posted on here a while ago them time lines are already in place, not actually sure what it ses on the letters my daughter has.

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:00 PM, alfieconn said:

Daughter has just had a call from Ford asking her to take the car in to a dealer so that they can change a part on the Powershift ! 

Someone from Ford called me a few weeks ago but spoke only Thai. Maybe thats what she was on about.

IM not so HO - I would not buy the model with the issue. Sure, Ford says they will fix it. And they just might do so. But the aggravation, waiting, and general PITA this will involve puts me off. Drove a few of them - without the issue - and found them OK. But just OK. Many other brands are similar and do not have this problem - or possible problem.

I'm not a particular fan of automatics, so i quite like the idea of this dual clutch system.

It seems odd that the people I've spoken to are unaware of the issue.

A cynic might say that this might be because I've only spoken to prospective sellers.

Another car that I like is the Suzuki swift RX, but the prices of these seem crazy in comparison with the Ford.

But, I admit, it's a concern with the fiesta if Ford would try and wiggle out of repairing it in the event of failure.