Are Thais learning good road manners at last?

rooster59

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, most Thai drivers do not give attention to the traffic and traffic rules and signs. They block intersections, double park, do not know the size of their car, and virtually carry their vehicle around the corner, as they feel not safe doing a turn. Some drivers move their car in a manner as if they have leased the whole road, and love to pass the solid line, forcing oncoming traffic to get out of the way. They tailgate, do not use their direction indicators, or forget to switch them off. Mirrors are solely used to squeeze pimples or to paint over their lips. There are some Thai folks who can drive: They are drivers of garbage and other trucks.

How is it even possible to have the words " Thai " and " good road manners " printed in the same sentence.

This is purely a one off instance of some common sense, whereas the vast majority of Thai motorists as we all know are a collection of the worst drivers in the world with an attitude toi match.

All you can do is lead by example.

Slow down, never drive aggressively, take frequent rest stops on long trips, make sure you're well rested and never in a hurry, never drink and drive, and drive defensively (anticipate constantly what other drivers are about to do).

I got caught in Samut Prakan Monday morning rush hour traffic last week. It felt like everyone was trying to get into an accident so they wouldn't have to go to work. Truly harrowing.

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

All you can do is lead by example.

Slow down, never drive aggressively, take frequent rest stops on long trips, make sure you're well rested and never in a hurry, never drink and drive, and drive defensively (anticipate constantly what other drivers are about to do).

I got caught in Samut Prakan Monday morning rush hour traffic last week. It felt like everyone was trying to get into an accident so they wouldn't have to go to work. Truly harrowing.

...do not forget to NOT stop at a pedestrian zebras crossing, You might get hit in the back.

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Are Thais learning good road manners at last?

As the good friends in China say, "A thousand mile journey begins with a single step"

They must be big steps their knocking on everybody's doors with bags of money. They want to be your NBF with strings attached. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

In defense of Thai drivers it must be said that I have seen much, much

worse drivers in other parts of the world, inconsiderate,  bullies and often

road rage exhibited on many of those country's roads,

The rule of the thumb is, if you drive calmly, politely and correctly, give way

to others when ever needed, you'll have a happy driving experience too.... 

Yes but people don't want to start every thread with "I have seen much much worse drivers in other parts of the world, but etc"

Don't forget this is THAI Visa Forum.

I live in the boonies. There are a few hoons on the major roads but they are in the minority. The Thai drivers that I see are overly cautious to the point of frustration. Most do not know how to park close to a curb or in a marked parking line. It may take 5 times of driving in and out to get it almost correct. Zig zag parking I call it with no attention paid to the white lines. Intersecting/merging with other traffic is an almost non existent skill. But traffic accidents are mostly minor because the impact is at such a slow speed. No one seems to be confident or competent. Also there appears to be no intense driver training prior to a licence being issued. The list could go on. But you might get my drift.    

Thai traffic :cheesy:

Every day it reminds me to when I was a small child and my parents took me to a circus.

At the circus there were 20 monkeys, riding bicycles and tricycles and there was a clown trying to regulate "the traffic" as a keystone cop. It was hilarious. It was the funniest thing I ever saw.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:34 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Saudi Arabia and Egypt are worse drivers than here in Thailand but as the headline is about good road manners, I believe the countries I mentioned have better manners than Thai drivers. 

I live in Saudi and drive a lot of km every week. Believe me, Thailand is a piece of cake and a pleasure to drive, in comparison. For instance, I olearned very quickly to never use indicators here as it let's the other drivers know what you want to do, therefore, when you indicate they purposely put their foot down to cut you off. Your indicator here is your vehicle, if you want to change lanes you just make sure there's a gap and move over. Don't seem to have that problem much when driving in Thailand.

Thailand (like all countries) do have idiot drivers but in general and obviously outside of the major cities, I find it not too much hassle driving in Thailand.

Disgraceful, patronising, racist headline.  If you think the Thais are ill mannered drivers then try Tripoli, Deli, Riyadh, Yangon, Kuwait, Tehran or even parts of France and Italy.   One problem with TV contributors is that they are frequently not very well travelled, inexperienced and rather provincial. Their comments are invalidated by their lack of world experience. I can only  hazard a guess that they are Australian country folk or Midwestern hicks from the USA. With regards to the original proposition - maybe.  But extremely poor driving manners has never actually been a feature of Thailand in my 25 years experience. 

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Disgraceful, patronising, racist headline.  If you think the Thais are ill mannered drivers then try Tripoli, Deli, Riyadh, Yangon, Kuwait, Tehran or even parts of France and Italy.   One problem with TV contributors is that they are frequently not very well travelled, inexperienced and rather provincial. Their comments are invalidated by their lack of world experience. I can only  hazard a guess that they are Australian country folk or Midwestern hicks from the USA. With regards to the original proposition - maybe.  But extremely poor driving manners has never actually been a feature of Thailand in my 25 years experience. 

Just total the dead bodies in Thailand, that should put any doubt you have with how bad drivers are here, it isn't the 2nd deadliest country to drive in outside of a war zone for nothing. 

On 2/12/2017 at 6:11 AM, Thailand said:

No

Me too. In a 10km round trip today I saw the following:

- a fender bender in the opposite lane after a rear end shunt.

- 2x pax falling off a bike while undertaking with insufficient space between kerb and car...MINE!

- a rider and bike parted company on the return journey too, and...

- Her ambulance (Bandon Livery) forced me off the road because his lane was full!

Welcome to Samui! :(

Edited by evadgib

On 2/13/2017 at 2:07 AM, spiderorchid said:

I live in the boonies. There are a few hoons on the major roads but they are in the minority. The Thai drivers that I see are overly cautious to the point of frustration. Most do not know how to park close to a curb or in a marked parking line. It may take 5 times of driving in and out to get it almost correct. Zig zag parking I call it with no attention paid to the white lines. Intersecting/merging with other traffic is an almost non existent skill. But traffic accidents are mostly minor because the impact is at such a slow speed. No one seems to be confident or competent. Also there appears to be no intense driver training prior to a licence being issued. The list could go on. But you might get my drift.    

Good for you! But the problems start when your country folk decide to take it out to the main roads out of the sticks and come around to the other parts of the country. Then panic attack mode starts and that is when the shirt hits the fan... I see the sticks licence plates here every major holiday and they are the cause of much a headache...

Getting out of the way of an ambulance??? They are sitting in their pick ups wondering why there is such an annoying noise coming from behind them...

19 hours ago, The manic said:

How many of your list have you been to/driven in?

I realize all Thais have the same culture.... yeah, the same strange schooling system..... but...... are they really so monolithic we can think about them as switching gears on stuff like road manners, one way then the other way, almost like "they" or something else were turning on or off a light bulb or a pat lomb? 

this is another silly narrative.  just like it is increasingly so in the USA now????

do a story on that.

Edited by maewang99

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, mrbojangles said:

I live in Saudi and drive a lot of km every week. Believe me, Thailand is a piece of cake and a pleasure to drive, in comparison. For instance, I olearned very quickly to never use indicators here as it let's the other drivers know what you want to do, therefore, when you indicate they purposely put their foot down to cut you off. Your indicator here is your vehicle, if you want to change lanes you just make sure there's a gap and move over. Don't seem to have that problem much when driving in Thailand.

Yes and I lived there too so my point was from experience. I live in Bangkok and what you mention about indicators is poor driving and that is a common theme here in bangkok. You have your opinion and I will stick to mine.