“Double” pricing – you know it’s time for action when the Thais start to complain

Inspire

“Double” pricing – you know it’s time for action when the Thais start to complain

Gerry Carter

price-main.jpg

For many Thai people the practice of state organizations and private companies overcharging tourists for entry to places such as national parks and tourist venues has never really been their problem.

The only lobby for change has usually been foreign residents of the kingdom who are fleeced along with the tourists. And this lobby is one with little power to change anything.

But this week a story emerged that the policy of fleecing foreigners has finally hit home where it really hurts – in the pocketbook of Thai people trying to make an honest living.

The story that hit the news was that of boat operators in Krabi who said that their businesses have plummeted by as much as 60% due to tourists saying no to the institutionalized rip-offs.

Foreigners entering national parks in the area are all being charged 400 baht when the locals are charged 40 baht. Fees for children are 200 baht for foreign kids and 20 baht for locals.

“Double” pricing like this has been going on for decades, of course. What is different in this case is that Thais themselves are feeling the pinch of the policy and are demanding action. The boat operators are petitioning the national parks authority to lower prices by a suggested 50%.

The term “double pricing” has always been a bit of a misnomer. If it was just double it would be more likely that people would accept it. In the case of national parks it is 1000 per cent more for foreigners or ten times as much.

Many foreigners accept that it is reasonable for them to pay more. Few feel it should be that much more. Others dislike the practice altogether shunning places where they are ripped off in this manner. In the past tourists were less likely to complain than resident foreigners as many would not even know they were being fleeced.

But in this day of easy access to information many tourists are much better informed. And the situation in Krabi look like proof that they are saying enough is enough.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/double-pricing-know-time-action-thais-start-complain/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-02-12

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt it will make any difference that the boat operators are having a lean time, certain things are done the way the people in power wish them to be and are likely to remain as such. Dual pricing, alcohol restrictions even reserved occupations. Part of Thainess.

One of the worst examples of this is at the Doi Hom Pok park near Fang. We stayed about a week. The wife was going to the hot springs to help treat an injury. They are just inside the park gates. So we got slugged every day for the park fees as well as the spa fees.

Things are tight around the world and the thai exchange rate isnt what it use to be.  Thailand has always been an economy class tourist destination and tourist save all year for their trip. For A farang of say 2 adults and 2 kids that would be 1200 baht around $55 AUD add in transport costs etc you might be pushing $80AUD a lot of money on a budget and the kids would probably prefer water parks, beaches and the hotel pool than staring at nature.  The majority of tourists comming to Thailand arent as rich as thais think.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Things are tight around the world and the thai exchange rate isnt what it use to be.  Thailand has always been an economy class tourist destination and tourist save all year for their trip. For A farang of say 2 adults and 2 kids that would be 1200 baht around $55 AUD add in transport costs etc you might be pushing $80AUD a lot of money on a budget and the kids would probably prefer water parks, beaches and the hotel pool than staring at nature.  The majority of tourists comming to Thailand arent as rich as thais think.

With the high turnover of politicians in the last 15 months all that should change according to their pre-election speeches. Prosperity is on its way. 

Nice to think that they might take some notice, but since when did the elite pay any attention to ordinary Thais? they couldn't care less as long as the appropriate palms are being greased.... :bah: 

Edited by zyphodb

4 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

"foreign residents of the kingdom who are fleeced along with the tourists."

Not fleeced at all get facts correct before printing. 

Charged for entry should be correct term used.

No overcharged for entry is the correct term

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

I've heard Thai vendors say 'moo maa laeo'  (pig come already) when they see a foreigner approach their merchandise.

Foreigners are just 'pigs' for slaughter to many Thai vendors, including the government.

3 hours ago, alant said:

I doubt it will make any difference that the boat operators are having a lean time, certain things are done the way the people in power wish them to be and are likely to remain as such. Dual pricing, alcohol restrictions even reserved occupations. Part of Thainess.

I would not lump dual pricing with alcohol restrictions. The alcohol restrictions for the most part are deference to the religion; while dual pricing is simply a way to make more money off the foreigners

Dual pricing is definitely keeping millions of tourists away from visiting or re-visiting Thailand.  

As a tourist you will really feel screwed, when paying ten times what native Thais pay.

Edited by Xonax

No smotherb, the alcohol restrictions, in the sense of no competition being allowed either with imports, (taxed ridiculously), or anyone being allowed to set up microbreweries or homebrew are purely there to keep the profits in the hands of the two elite families who run Thailand's Alcohol monopolies...

There being the odd dry day for Buddhism doesnt affect anything...

Why do you think that  the Bangkok police chief is being bribed sorry salaried 50000 Bht/month by one of the breweries, probably the other one too only that hasn't come out yet.... 

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Fleeced is the accurate term here, or screwed, as yard runner says, Overcharged. By 1000%.

I was in Sri Lanka with a Thai delegation a few years back.

Once we arrived at the destination they went spaz, literally off their rockers because they were being charged (over) double as a foreigner.

They stormed off saying that this would never happen in Thailand!

When I pointed out it does they shrugged and said "well farangs can afford it, we're Asians and cannot"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Charged ten fold the Thai price would be more accurate. :) Even people working here, retired here, married here. 

My conclusion of all of this: i do not go to an National Parks and all my friends visiting Thailand aren't going either.

If it would be double pricing (double means instead of 40 bath 80 bath) i would not mind.

but if i see what happens with the money that is paid for NP entrees i not pay any bath anymore.

It's just all pocket money and nothing is done to protect nature as that is not the reason to raise money!

If you also would get something for the money like flyers in engish, nature trails properly done or other informations (been to an NP and the had even no infos at all, nothing for sure in english; they were just luying around in chairs or benches and sleeping.

OK. stay away: thats the only way

10 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Charged ten fold the Thai price would be more accurate. :) Even people working here, retired here, married here. 

Thais are indigenous to Thailand working/married/retired forigner are not plus have a lot more money than 90% of Thai's. Bottom line don't want to pay don't go problem solved.

11 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

How do you know it's overpriced could very easily be worth a lot bigger entry fee.

Please name one worth ten fold the price.

When a driving licence would get you Thai price i have been to a few. None were really great, no Wow! Factor.

Having said that, Phu Chi Faa is great and free. :)

Also Do Kham Faa near Chiang Dao :) Photo below.

Vietnam's parks are the same price for all visitors, most are free, better kept and far more beautiful. If Vietnam can manage that, i wonder why Thailand can't?

DSC_0520.JPG

Edited by chrissables

We're planning a trip to Krabi.  Now that I know about the National Park's 1000% markup for 'foreigners', I'll be avoiding those areas. I know from experience that my Thai documents (house-book, tax card) mean nothing.   And I'll let the long-boat operator's know.  If my Thai family wants to tour, no problem, I just won't be accompanying them.  But knowing my family they won't go without me.  We'll find something else to do.

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

Dual pricing is definitely keeping millions of tourists away from visiting or re-visiting Thailand.  

As a tourist you will really feel screwed, when paying ten times what native Thais pay.

So you belive 100% of tourist even realise there are two entry prices then LOL. I think 99.9% of Tourist won't even realize Thais get cheaper entry onto some places and out of that 90% would give a rats bum anyway. There on holiday to enjoy themselfs and to see diffrent things not like Mr expat on tv who comes here to moan and curse and genrally hate everything thai.

4 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Thais are indigenous to Thailand working/married/retired forigner are not plus have a lot more money than 90% of Thai's. Bottom line don't want to pay don't go problem solved.

The amount of money i have or don't have really should not affect the pricing of National Parks.

I mentioned the year long visa foreigners, because we do live here, by default we pay tax etc through VAT and import tax. I would expect that to be a consideration in the pricing structure.

You don't, and if you are happy to pay ten fold the Thai price, good luck. I am not.

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Please name one worth ten fold the price.

When a driving licence would get you Thai price i have been to a few. None were really great, no Wow! Factor.

Having said that, Phu Chi Faa is great and free. :)

Also Do Kham Faa near Chiang Dao :) Photo below.

Vietnam's parks are the same price for all visitors, most are free, better kept and far more beautiful. If Vietnam cam manage that, i wonder why Thailand can't?

DSC_0520.JPG

Many flights there for you to enjoy "free" entry to there parks.