Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry service officially open

webfact

Gulf of Thailand ferry officially open

fer.jpg

File photo

PATTAYA, 13 February 2017 (NNT) - Minister of Transport Arkhom Termpittayapaisith on Sunday presided over the opening ceremony of the Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry service at the Bali Hai pier in Chon Buri province. The ferry service is part of the government’s policy to develop connection between transportation systems in the Gulf of Thailand. 

The “Royal One” ferry is a high-speed catamaran vessel of 346 seats. It provides 286 seats in economy class, 44 seats in business class and two 8-seat VIP rooms. The ferry is equipped with modern baggage scanners. It sails for 116 kilometers from the eastern to western parts of the Gulf of Thailand for two hours. It usually takes around 5 - 6 hours by car. 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha gives priority to the development of water transport for goods and passengers to connect coastal cities such as Pattaya and Hua Hin. The Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry is expected to support the government’s Eastern Economic Corridor policy and stimulate tourism in Chon Buri and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-02-13

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After changes in Hua Hin disembarkation points, unsuitable piers, changes in fares, cancellations to to "weather", without even a publicity shot of the actual boat until it arrived (did they actually know what boat was coming??) they are FINALLY opening the service.....which I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that nobody actually wants....or needs.

It would be great to believe that this ferry could be a success, but it is doubtfull as a full-year service because of unreliability due to weather and engine conditions and because people want to be able to take their cars and motorbikes.  The high price is another adverse factor for families, although avoiding the hazardous trip by road, particularly by minivan, is a big incentive. Arriving at your destination expensively but alive is definitely preferable to arriving cheaply but dead.  :sleep: 

Do they really know what kind of engines they are operating wit?? and how many?? silly but if engine break down so soon it must tell what kind of maintenance they are doing.

Would not trust this ferry rather drive day time and enjoy the scenery.

I would like to hear from anyone that has used the ferry. Was the ride comfortable? Depart/arrive on time & real duration? Passenger numbers limited or open to 350 capacity? Still being shadowed by Thai navy? As far as I can gather, the company  (No information) has bought 3 of these 30 year old ex Chinese ferries & I have concerns about condition/maintenance & safety.

9 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

It would be great to believe that this ferry could be a success, but it is doubtfull as a full-year service because of unreliability due to weather and engine conditions and because people want to be able to take their cars and motorbikes.  The high price is another adverse factor for families, although avoiding the hazardous trip by road, particularly by minivan, is a big incentive. Arriving at your destination expensively but alive is definitely preferable to arriving cheaply but dead.  :sleep: 

Minivans in Thailand are indeed horrible when it comes to passenger safety.

But you're assuming this ferry service is going to be any better.  I'd say at this point, that remains to be seen.

I see the usual moaners are at it.  Well, the service may close but at least it is there.  So much for all the TV whiners stating it would never happen.  I also like the ones that complain about safety.  It most likely is a risk but then I have travelled in those crazy mini buses and I will take my chance on the ferry thanks.  I will be using it regularly.

42 minutes ago, tompelli said:

I would like to hear from anyone that has used the ferry. Was the ride comfortable? Depart/arrive on time & real duration? Passenger numbers limited or open to 350 capacity? Still being shadowed by Thai navy? As far as I can gather, the company  (No information) has bought 3 of these 30 year old ex Chinese ferries & I have concerns about condition/maintenance & safety.

It was built in Australia 25 years ago and sold to a Chinese buyer.

27 minutes ago, maddermax said:

Having been a Chinese ferry for several years I wonder if they have managed to eliminate the foul smoking smell which is prevalent on all other Chinese ferries on the mainland!

Never seen a frrry operate on the mainland ?

55 minutes ago, tompelli said:

30 years old !! surely a recipe for breakdowns.

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Minivans in Thailand are indeed horrible when it comes to passenger safety.

But you're assuming this ferry service is going to be any better.  I'd say at this point, that remains to be seen.

If you can swim, and/or wear a life jacket, you have some control over your fate on the ferry- just pick a seat with easy egress in case it all goes south.

In a minivan, your fate is completely out of your hands- no matter which seat you choose or whether you wear the seat belt or not.

I like the idea of a little bit of say in my fate. 

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you can swim, and/or wear a life jacket, you have some control over your fate on the ferry- just pick a seat with easy egress in case it all goes south.

In a minivan, your fate is completely out of your hands- no matter which seat you choose or whether you wear the seat belt or not.

I like the idea of a little bit of say in my fate. 

Hire a car then :)

On another note, I'm interested to know where in HH it docks, I read in the BP this morning it was Koh Takiab? If so, what the cost of a taxi into town?

Edited by sungod

1 hour ago, Iforbach said:

Actually for people who want it great ,,,so many people moaning  , if u ain't going use it why comment , pointless ,  as always I say if you don't like thailand as a whole ,,just go home easy this is just general view ...

So according to you nobody should post an opinion that you don't approve of? Legitimate crticizms are not allowed? In an opinion and comment section? And did these people say they don't like Thailand, or are they simply pointing to the facts, failures, and broken promises which anyone who looks can see? Are you making the rules here? Is this your website? If you don't like these comments as a whole just go somewhere else and read happy thoughts which never criticize

Edited by Jonathan Swift
Upgrade

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

So according to you nobody should post an opinion that you don't approve of? In an opinion and comment section? Legitimate criticism is not allowed? And did these people say they don't like Thailand, or are they simply pointing to the facts, failures, and broken promises which anyone who looks can see? Are you making the rules here? Is this your website? If you don't like these comments as a whole just go somewhere else and read happy thoughts which never criticize

O.M.G.  You are really the one there is  moaning.  Piece be with You and all the moaners   !!

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Hire a car then :)

On another note, I'm interested to know where in HH it docks, I read in the BP this morning it was Koh Takiab? If so, what the cost of a taxi into town?

Cost will probably depend on the "whiteness" of your skin..