Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry service officially open

webfact

1 hour ago, Mousehound said:

I see the usual moaners are at it.  Well, the service may close but at least it is there.  So much for all the TV whiners stating it would never happen.  I also like the ones that complain about safety.  It most likely is a risk but then I have travelled in those crazy mini buses and I will take my chance on the ferry thanks.  I will be using it regularly.

Yep, running the usual course here for any project from mere road resurfacing to The Tunnel. Makes us feel so superior. As I said last month

On 1/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, JSixpack said:

Actually, we're just desperate to sneer about everything concerning the ferry. It's TVF Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS) gone marine with its five stages:

1. Puzzlement
  2. Disbelief; "no need"
  3. Derision; doom prediction
  4. Hate (disappointment)
  5. Acceptance.

And we now seem to have reached Stage 3, as it's so close to happening.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't want to knock the service but I will wait and see before I use it. If all seems well after a couple of months I might give it a try. Seems too expensive to me, but prices may fall if demand is below expectations. I have plenty of time on my hands so speed is not the be all and end all, though a boat trip can be very pleasant.

In the past I have done the Pattaya to Hua Hin trip several times by mad and dangerous taxi drivers that were obviously quite expensive even for two people travelling. On the last few times we simply used the Bells Travel coach service via BKK airport where you change coach's. A lot safer and extremely comfortable' cheap and stress free. 

Unfortuneately, my annual trip has been cancelled this February but my friend and myself were going to use the ferry this time last Saturday as it is a lot quicker but probably a bit more expensive than using the excellent coach service?  I don't know? I would not use a mini bus unless I knew it was being driven by a good driver. 

My wife and her daughter used to live in Hua Hin and use a mini bus to go to Bangkok. I don't allow them to do this any longer as its a lot safer and more comfortable by Bells Travel coach service although admittedly more expensive than a mini van and they then need to transfer from BKK to city centre by train or taxi depending on their destination. But between HH and Pattaya, if the ferry is good and safe then it's a good option. 

If its as good as the Lomprayah service in the Bay of Thailand then it should succeed. I don't think Lomprayah transport cars or motorbikes on their ferries, do they? 

For service and fees and schedule details

https://www.thethailandlife.com/pattaya-to-hua-hin-ferry-service

For photos on the launch and details in English

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNECO6002130010001

The ferry is run by Royal Passenger Liner Co. and i must say it is strange that their website is not easily found on this topic. Maybe someone else can find it.

1200 baht per trip. 2 hours @116 kms. I doubt that tub can sustain those speeds. Here's hoping.

Nice to see te voices of doom alive, well and in such fine voice.

Just met 4 people on the bus to Pattaya from Suvarnabhumi going for a two centre holiday, one week there then going to Hua Hin. They booked their trip because of a recommendation from some friends who did same trip two weeks ago.

Apologies for my optimism.

In good sailing weather, the ride is 2 hours. A British couple told me that it was comfortable

and they took economy. The  higher class  has larger seats. In bad weather it was 2 hours and a half,

but I have only talked with one guy who sailed in the bad weather, he said it was still not as scary

as a mini bus ride he took from Hua Hin to Pattaya.  I hope to ride on it in the next few weeks

Geezer

6 hours ago, Boatfreak said:

Will be taking the ferry with my daughter next week, looking forward. I would never have done the 6 hours trip with a suicide minibus.

Nice to see a positive comment.  This service has been discussed and attempted for years so I hope it becomes commercially viable.  I for one will be taking it rather than, as you point out, the 'Suicide Minibus'.  Transport, and accommodation the other end is easy to organise and cheap and makes HH a great weekend trip otherwise unrealistic. 

6 hours ago, impulse said:

If you can swim, and/or wear a life jacket, you have some control over your fate on the ferry- just pick a seat with easy egress in case it all goes south.

In a minivan, your fate is completely out of your hands- no matter which seat you choose or whether you wear the seat belt or not.

I like the idea of a little bit of say in my fate. 

Clearly never been in an overturned or sinking boat.

7 hours ago, maddermax said:

Having been a Chinese ferry for several years I wonder if they have managed to eliminate the foul smoking smell which is prevalent on all other Chinese ferries on the mainland!

So what was your experience like as a ferry? Were you one of the non smoking ones?

39 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

Clearly never been in an overturned or sinking boat.

Guess again.  We train every year for what to do in a sinking boat or overturned helicopter.  Most such incidents, very survivable- especially in tropical waters where hypothermia takes a long time.

Flaming mini vans?  Not so survivable.

Edited by impulse

I caught this ferry on Friday 10th. It left Hua Hin exactly on time at 1.30pm which I was impressed . It travelled between 27 to 30knots as promised. But note the seas were very calm that day. The engines are very quiet. The interior is air conditioned. Most importantly safety is of a high standard under each seat they had a safety vest and each exit door had a life raft to sufficiently carry all passengers. Plus the seats even had seatbelts if the seas got rough. So safety is not an issue. By the way it arrived near ontime at Pattaya at just past 3.30pm. It was good but not great because of the issues as follows and may of which may not affect all;

1. The price was 999 B and thus explains why the ferry was only half full in economy. It should be around 600 B and thus with full capacity make more money at a lower price. More bums on seats scenario.
  2. You cannot go outside the doors are sealed and no passengers are allowed on the stern decking which by the way is really the only decking
  3. Clearly because you cannot go outside there is absolutely no smoking at all sob sob sob.
  4. No drinks or food are sold on the trip. Amazing as you get hungry and beer thirsty during the trip and being an Aussie this is not a good decision It could  only improve profits.
  5. The staff only offer shitty coffe or tea and there are at least 10 staffers doing just that. Overstaffed and waste of money. Get them to sell/make food.

As time goes by I hope the focus is on my issues 1-4 . As for bikes, cars etc I think you may have to wait longer for the second ferry if they ever get one?

11 hours ago, Nielsk said:

Not expensive for saving 3-4 hours in the deadly traffic  !

really 4 people return around 8,000 baht.  i go there every month from pattaya playing golf 3 hours 30 minutes drive no problem with traffic. look how many people clicked lick on what i said!! we cant all be wrong !!

Edited by catman20

I think that if they (boat operators) where to have partnership programs -- like HH hotels rolling in ferry transport (with dock-to-door transport included) into a discounted hotel package - that might help too.

I the end, I think they'll have to not only define their target market, but also show their value-added aspect over and above the other current transport options.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

I caught this ferry on Friday 10th. It left Hua Hin exactly on time at 1.30pm which I was impressed . It travelled between 27 to 30knots as promised. But note the seas were very calm that day. The engines are very quiet. The interior is air conditioned. Most importantly safety is of a high standard under each seat they had a safety vest and each exit door had a life raft to sufficiently carry all passengers. Plus the seats even had seatbelts if the seas got rough. So safety is not an issue. By the way it arrived near ontime at Pattaya at just past 3.30pm. It was good but not great because of the issues as follows and may of which may not affect all;

1. The price was 999 B and thus explains why the ferry was only half full in economy. It should be around 600 B and thus with full capacity make more money at a lower price. More bums on seats scenario.
  2. You cannot go outside the doors are sealed and no passengers are allowed on the stern decking which by the way is really the only decking
  3. Clearly because you cannot go outside there is absolutely no smoking at all sob sob sob.
  4. No drinks or food are sold on the trip. Amazing as you get hungry and beer thirsty during the trip and being an Aussie this is not a good decision It could  only improve profits.
  5. The staff only offer shitty coffe or tea and there are at least 10 staffers doing just that. Overstaffed and waste of money. Get them to sell/make food.

As time goes by I hope the focus is on my issues 1-4 . As for bikes, cars etc I think you may have to wait longer for the second ferry if they ever get one?

It sounds dreadful! - They fail to realise that one sure fire way of making money on a boat like that is reduce the fares and make it up by selling food, drinks and anything else while they are sitting around doing nothing on the boat

as for your comments on safety, I fail to see how by a cursory glance you could tell if they are adequate or not....and you fail to mention the most important factor, are the staff properly trained to handle any emergency.

How DId you guage the size of the life boats, BYW?

Finally........ 

"You cannot go outside the doors are sealed" - you are joking of course?????

in any normal country that would get the service SHUT DOWN immediately....and please don't give me any crap about "Oh, if there was a problem the crew would open the doors" - utter nonsense!