Marriage Extension - Offered Checklist for the paperwork

Updated version of checklist in this post: 

Hello,

I offer the following checklist to help with the paperwork required for the Marriage Extension, when applying for this visa to Immigration i.e within Thailand.

- - - - Start of "Checklist with Notes for: Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”: - - - -

Visa type:

“Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”.

Consequently this visa tends to be also known by applicants as the Thai “marriage visa”.

Reason for applying to be given by the applicant on the Visa application form:

I understand that an appropriate wording is: “To support my Thai wife”.

These notes and checklist do not discuss eligibility for the visa, though:

marriage of the applicant to a Thai citizen will be prerequisite, with required qualifying current visa, valid passport, compliance with financial requirements, and a police records check.

The following checklist is for applying for this visa from Thai Immigration (i.e. within Thailand).

Application form that must be used:

“Visa Extension Form TM.7”.

Please first read these Notes:

i) The documentary requirements are the same for each yearly application for this Visa.

The following checklist represents the current requirements of one Immigration department, but requirements may vary.

Also the authorities may change their requirements at any time; so consult with them as to the up-date-position.

ii) Timing:

First application:

From three months before new first visa application of this kind, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole three months till the visa application.

Subsequent applications:

From two months before new subsequent visa application of this kind, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole two months till new visa application.

Make the application about one month before expiry of your existing visa.

Timing as regards applicant’s Passport:

Applicant must ensure there is sufficient time validity remaining on their Passport.

Applicant must also ensure they have enough unused pages in their Passport.

If they require a new passport, it must be applied for in good time; e.g. British Authorities take at least two months to issue passports (the expedited procedure is NOT available outside the U.K.), and the British authorities require both the application, and also the collection, to take place in Bangkok – something to be aware of if living elsewhere than in Bangkok.

iii)

The checklist assumes the applicant is renting their home; but adapt to your circumstances.

iv) Blue pen:

At least one of the application forms must be entirely completed and signed, in blue pen.

v) Photocopies:

Two sets are required of most documents.

While every photocopy needs to be signed to certify genuineness, Immigration now apply a stamp for this purpose, within which the applicant places their signature.

vi) WARNING:

Visas obtained from Immigration are automatically-cancelled when the visa holder leaves the Kingdom, unless BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, the visa holder obtains from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

Where any Visa has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where the visa has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, and the Passport to which the Visa was affixed has been replaced for any reason, then the holder MUST retain their Old Passport, so that they can show both the old and new Passports to Immigration upon any re-entry to Thailand.

Where any Visa has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where the visa has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, but where unfortunately subsequently the holder lost their Passport, obtained a replacement Passport, and then had a note of their visa put onto the new Passport, they should be aware that:

The previous un-used single, or multiple-entry function, may NO LONGER BE VAILD!

Therefore if a visa holder wishes to retain an un-used single or a multiple-entry function, they MUST, and BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, the most convenient way to repair this circumstance would be to obtain from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

What does a “Re-Entry Permit” do?

It prevents the visa to which it relates, being automatically cancelled upon leaving Thailand.

(A “Re-Entry Permit” gives no extension to any visa, remaining valid only up to the date of expiry of the visa.)

vii) Photographs for forms:

For Visa and “Re-Entry Permit”, a total of 3 photos of the applicant 4 x 6 cm, are required.

(My recommendations:

Wear black and white clothes when having your colour-passport-standard photographs taken – This is just to avoid any possible “concern” by wearing certain colours in the photo.

Thus at least four photos 4 x 6 cm (including one for any Re-Entry Permit, and fourth photo to have spare.)

viii) Original documents:

Keep original documents separate, to produce upon any request by the Immigration officer.

ix) Fees:

Fee payable upon the paperwork being accepted for the visa application.

A separate fee for any Re-Entry Permit.

The fees are stated on the relevant application form, but check the current fees with Immigration.

Bring with some extra cash in case needed.

x) Once the applicant’s paperwork has been accepted, they do not receive the visa immediately, but are given a date to again personally attend Immigration when the result of the visa application is notified. This date may be either for before or after the expiry of the current visa. The date of re-attending immigration amounts to a permission to stay until then, but should there be a delay in considering the visa application, Immigration can extend this time, and if this occurs they do not make any new stamp about this extension in the passport.

The applicant should ensure they comply with the date given to them for re-attendance!

The reason for attending Immigration on the later date, is because Immigration will first wish to:

Consider the application, including carrying out a Thai Police Check,

and also on a first application for this kind of visa, to send an Immigration officer to the applicant’s address to verify from neighbours that the applicant is living there.

Those neighbours would need to produce their I.D. card and House Registration.

The officer will also ask the applicant and his wife some questions.

Before attending on the date given to see the result of the visa application, look at the next blank area / next blank page of the passport where any new visa may be put. If either the 90 reporting receipt or the Departure Card are currently fixed to these areas, I recommend re-affixing them to used-pages, respectively. This is simply to make visible and available the next visa-usable area of the passport (to seek to avoid wasting this next usable space).

xi) Attending the Immigration office:

Check their hours of operation.

Do also check for Public Holidays on which such offices are closed, bearing in mind that any public holiday occurring on a weekend becomes deferred to the following Monday!

Staff normally do not attend to applicants between the hours of 12 noon and 1 pm.

You will need to take a queuing ticket.

Landlord’s notification:

xii) Once the Visa has been issued, the owner of the property that the applicant is renting (if applicable) being the applicant’s address entered on their Visa application form, must notify Immigration of Alien(s) being in his property – See further details that follow the checklist.

Checklist for application for “Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”:

1.1) Both applicant and his Thai wife must attend the Immigration office, with the items that follow:

Originals plus TWO sets of copies of most documents are required. Therefore the following list will normally state that at least two copies are required for each item.

1.2) Visa Extension Form TM.7:

Complete two forms, at least one of which must be entirely completed and signed in blue ink.

I understand a reason for applying to be given by the applicant is:

“To support my Thai wife”.

In the field in which the applicant is to enter the number of days they seek for the validity of the visa, they should enter “365” days (since I understand that the maximum length of the extension is one year).

Applicant should put their telephone number under their photograph that is affixed to the form; e.g.: “Tel:” followed by the number.

If the applicant is completing their form (not someone else on their behalf) the applicant is still required to complete the section that confirms who has written out the form, including repeating the applicant’s address.

(If the applicant wishes to retain a copy, then they will need an additional copy.)

1.3) Two passport-standard photographs of applicant, 4 x 6 cm; being one for each TM.7 form. (Please also see Notes above.)

1.4) “Foreign National Information Form”.

1.5) Fee – enquire as to the current fee.

(Taken when the application paperwork has been accepted. A receipt is normally issued.)

2) Applicant’s Passport (or “travel documents”).

Two copies of the I.D page, and all used-pages.

The page showing the current Thai Non-Immigrant Visa should be copied together with the Thai “Departure Card TM.6” to show both of these on the same photocopy

(but check if they instead require the TM.6 to be copied on a separate photocopy.)

3.1) Required Non-Immigrant Visa as shown in applicant’s Passport (see 2 above).

3.2) “Departure Card TM.6” (see 2 above):

Warning:

If the applicant finds they need to detach this card from their Passport for photocopying purposes, they should take care not to lose it - Re-attach it as soon as possible!

4) Original Thai Marriage Certificate and two copies [or (“If from abroad, certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate) with Certificate of Family, Certificate of Marriage”) [extract from Immigration checklist]].

5) Thai wife’s original I.D. Card, and two copies.

6) Original Thai wife’s House Registration book, and two copies.

7) Original Birth Certificate with two copies, of any minor-children born in Thailand.

8 - 9) Either:

A)

i) Original Letter and two copies, from applicant’s Thai Bank certifying money in applicant’s name in the Thai bank account, at more than 400,000 Baht in the account UNDIMINISHED for more than 3 months for a first application, or UNDIMINISHED for more than 2 months on subsequent applications for this visa.

Note:

Banks normally make a charge for their letter, and their letter apparently remains valid for one month (however I suggest the applicant check this period of validity with Immigration.)

ii) Original Bank account book (being the current one with any cancelled previous books from the same account) showing the WHOLE of the above-mentioned 3, or 2, month period as applicable, together with two copies of all pages.

Or:

B)

Income or Pension certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate at more than 40,000 Baht per month, and two copies.

10) Map and copy, showing home and its surrounding streets.

(This may have to be drawn by-hand, if a local map is not available or is not available from something like Google Maps (but check if this type of map is permitted).)

The map may be required to be drawn on an Immigration-issued form – so do check Immigration requirements.

11) Two sets of current “family” photos showing both the applicant and his Thai wife in one room of their home (the address given on the visa application form), and in such further rooms of the home as may be specified by Immigration (check with them as to their requirements).

(On photographic paper, two sets of the image(s) are required, affixed to A4 blank photocopying paper.)

12) Original Rental Agreement (Tenancy Agreement) (if applicable), and two copies, for the applicant’s address entered on the Visa application form.

13) Two copies of the House Registration of the applicant’s address as entered on the Visa application form.

14) Two copies of the I.D. card of the property owner (landlord) (if applicable) of the rented property. Write the property owner’s telephone number onto both copies.

15) Two copies of the House Registration of the landlord’s (if applicable) personal home.

16) Guarantee form (which can be signed by the Thai wife); supplied at the counter.

17) Form for applicant to acknowledge visa conditions; supplied at the counter.

Continued with “Re-Entry Permit” ...

Once the Visa has been issued:

Apply immediately [my recommendation] for a “Re-Entry Permit”

by application on form TM.6:

Checklist for application for “Re-Entry Permit”:

One set of:

1) Complete in blue pen, one “Re-Entry Permit” application form TM.6.

If travel has been arranged, also complete the form’s travel details section.

Applicant should put their telephone number under the form’s photograph;

e.g.: “Tel:” followed by the number.

Note:

The applicant should have a second copy of the completed form available in case Immigration require it, and also a third copy where the applicant wishes to retain a copy.)

2) Two (one photo and one spare) 4 x 6 cm passport-standard photographs of applicant. (Please also see Notes above.)

3) From the applicant’s Passport:

Copy of I.D. page, and also a copy of the page showing the current (new) visa.

Thus if the applicant wishes to apply for a Re-Entry Permit straight on the same occasion that the new visa has been granted, the applicant may first need leave the Immigration office to get a copy of the Passport page showing the new visa!)

4) “Foreign National Information Form”.

(This is also theoretically required for a Re-Entry Permit application.)

5) Fee – enquire as to the current fee.

(Taken when the application paperwork has been accepted. A receipt is normally issued.)

Landlord’s Notification to Immigration:

Once the Visa has been issued, the owner of the property (if applicable) that the applicant is renting, (being the applicant’s address entered on the Visa application form), must:

Notify Immigration of Alien(s) being in his property on form TM.30,
together with:

a copy of the property owner’s ID card signed by the property owner;

AND a copy of the House Registration for BOTH:

their personal home AND also that of the rented property,

both of them to be signed by the property owner.

Write the property owner’s telephone number onto the form TM.30.

Registration of the visa-holder’s address is not completed until this has been done. (Immigration cannot confirm the Visa-holder’s address to for example, offices like the “Land Transport Department”, until the above has been completed.)

The property owner may be willing to hand this paperwork over to the visa holder for them to hand in to Immigration.

Warning:

“90 day Reporting” by the foreigner of their address to Immigration, is required every 90 days from when they enter the Kingdom irrespective of the issuance of subsequent new visas!

They must report within a period of time based on the date stated on the slip given to them by Immigration and placed in the passport.

(Just to be clear: An old 90 day slip is not returned to the visa holder when a new one is issued.)

- - - - End of “Checklist with Notes for: Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage” - - - -

Edited by Support
link to new post added

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Phuket Man commented that my offered checklist "contains wrong and confusing information".

It has been "battle-tested" by being used resulting in paperwork being submitted and accepted on the same day. As I say, in the document, you need to check the requirements of your own Immigration department.

As there does not appear to be an "edit" function:

Where I mentioned that marriage to a Thai will be a prerequisite , I understand the marriage may need to be under Thai law.

I hope the checklist will help others in preparing their paperwork. I assume this would benefit both applicant and Immigration staff.

Regards,

Robert333

money should season for 2 months on first application, not three.

I gave up after that; its like war and peace, some editing would have been nice to make it readable

a good thread here - 

a short concise post by Tywais as op

I went to my local IO in Nonthaburi today to have them look through the paperwork I had accumulated so far for my application for my first extension of permission to stay based on marriage. Having entered the country at the beginning of the year, it will be time next week to throw everything at them to sort through.

The guy at the reception counter approved everything except for the photos. Oh, I had one for the bedroom, one showing us and the house number, one for the living room, one for the front yard, but my collection was lacking a photo of us in the kitchen. OK. So we've done that now (although I'm normally banned from the kitchen while my wife is cooking).

In addition, I was handed five forms in Thai that I wasn't anticipating. Oddly, consider what we've been given above by OP, one of forms I received was Nonthaburi IO's checklist of application documentation, also in Thai. There were two further forms for my wife to fill out, one for me, and one for a neighbor -- this to be accompanied by copies of his/her ID and Tabien Baan. By the way, anyone who assumes that the IO checklist isn't really a form per se would be wrong. There are spaces at the bottom for three signatures and two telephone numbers.

I think these immigration people have too much time on their hands! Sooner or later the people at CW are going to complain that some IOs are overdocumenting their customers and that this overwork is coming at a time when the whole department's resources are stretched thin. 

Thanks for your response Steve 187:

Yes, you are right. The period for which savings must remain undiminished in a Thai savings account should be 2 months for the first application and 3 months for subsequent applications.

The link you give does not provide one complete list nor notes.

My checklist first starts with notes numbered in roman numerals, and is followed further on with the checklist.

Under that there then follows additional guidance for Re-Entry Permits.

The numbering for the checklist had been in "section-numbering" for easy comparison with the list issued by a local Immigration office, but I have now substituted normal numbering.

I do not understand why editing is unavailable, because if it were available I could simply overwrite with the corrected version.

Regards,

Robert333

Hello,

I offer the following updated checklist to help with the paperwork required for the Marriage Extension, when applying for this visa to Immigration i.e within Thailand.

This document commences with notes numbered with roman numerals, followed by the checklist.

The checklist is followed by guidance for applying for a Re-Entry Permit.

Visa type:

“Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”.

Consequently this visa tends to be also known by applicants as the Thai “marriage visa”.

Reason for applying to be given by the applicant on the Visa application form:

These notes and checklist do not discuss eligibility for the visa, though:

marriage of the applicant to a Thai citizen will be prerequisite [I understand under Thai law], with required qualifying current visa, valid passport, compliance with financial requirements, and a police records check.

The following checklist is for applying for this visa from Thai Immigration (i.e. within Thailand).

i) The documentary requirements are the same for each yearly application for this Visa.

The following checklist represents the current requirements of one Immigration department, but requirements may vary.

Also the authorities may change their requirements at any time; so consult with them as to the up-date-position.

ii) Timing:

First application:

From two months before new first visa application of this kind, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole two months till the visa application.

Subsequent applications:

From three months before new subsequent visa application of this kind, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole three months till new visa application.

Make the application about one month before expiry of your existing visa.

Applicant must ensure there is sufficient time validity remaining on their Passport.

If they require a new passport, it must be applied for in good time; e.g. British Authorities take at least two months to issue passports (the expedited procedure is NOT available outside the U.K.), and the British authorities require both the application, and also the collection, to take place in Bangkok – something to be aware of if living elsewhere than in Bangkok.

iii)

The checklist assumes the applicant is renting their home; but adapt to your circumstances.

iv) Blue pen:

At least one of the application forms must be entirely completed and signed, in blue pen.

v) Photocopies:

While every photocopy needs to be signed to certify genuineness, Immigration now apply a stamp for this purpose, within which the applicant places their signature.

vi) WARNING:

Visas obtained from Immigration are automatically-cancelled when the visa holder leaves the Kingdom, unless BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, the visa holder obtains from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

Where any Visa has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where the visa has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, and the Passport to which the Visa was affixed has been replaced for any reason, then the holder MUST retain their Old Passport, so that they can show both the old and new Passports to Immigration upon any re-entry to Thailand.

Where any Visa has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where the visa has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, but where unfortunately subsequently the holder lost their Passport, obtained a replacement Passport, and then had a note of their visa put onto the new Passport, they should be aware that:

The previous un-used single, or multiple-entry function, may NO LONGER BE VAILD!

Therefore if a visa holder wishes to retain an un-used single or a multiple-entry function, they MUST, and BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, the most convenient way to repair this circumstance would be to obtain from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

It prevents the visa to which it relates, being automatically cancelled upon leaving Thailand.

(A “Re-Entry Permit” gives no extension to any visa, remaining valid only up to the date of expiry of the visa.)

For Visa and “Re-Entry Permit”, a total of 3 photos of the applicant 4 x 6 cm, are required.

(My recommendations:

Wear black and white clothes when having your colour-passport-standard photographs taken – This is just to avoid any possible “concern” by wearing certain colours in the photo.

Thus at least four photos 4 x 6 cm (including one for any Re-Entry Permit, and fourth photo to have spare.)

Keep original documents separate, to produce upon any request by the Immigration officer.

ix) Fees:

Fee payable upon the paperwork being accepted for the visa application.

The fees are stated on the relevant application form, but check the current fees with Immigration.

x) Once the applicant’s paperwork has been accepted, they do not receive the visa immediately, but are given a date to again personally attend Immigration when the result of the visa application is notified. This date may be either for before or after the expiry of the current visa. The date of re-attending immigration amounts to a permission to stay until then, but should there be a delay in considering the visa application, Immigration can extend this time, and if this occurs they do not make any new stamp about this extension in the passport.

The applicant should ensure they comply with the date given to them for re-attendance!

The reason for attending Immigration on the later date, is because Immigration will first wish to:

and also on a first application for this kind of visa, to send an Immigration officer to the applicant’s address to verify from neighbours that the applicant is living there.

Before attending on the date given to see the result of the visa application, look at the next blank area / next blank page of the passport where any new visa may be put. If either the 90 reporting receipt or the Departure Card are currently fixed to these areas, I recommend re-affixing them to used-pages, respectively. This is simply to make visible and available the next visa-usable area of the passport (to seek to avoid wasting this next usable space).

Do also check for Public Holidays on which such offices are closed, bearing in mind that any public holiday occurring on a weekend becomes deferred to the following Monday!

Staff normally do not attend to applicants between the hours of 12 noon and 1 pm.

Landlord’s notification:

xii) Once the Visa has been issued, the owner of the property that the applicant is renting (if applicable) being the applicant’s address entered on their Visa application form, must notify Immigration of Alien(s) being in his property – See further details that follow the checklist.

Checklist for application for “Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”:

1) Both applicant and his Thai wife must attend the Immigration office, with the items that follow:

Originals plus TWO sets of copies of most documents are required. Therefore the following list will normally state that at least two copies are required for each item.

2) Visa Extension Form TM.7:

Complete two forms, at least one of which must be entirely completed and signed in blue ink.

To support my Thai wife”.

In the field in which the applicant is to enter the number of days they seek for the validity of the visa, they should enter “365” days (since I understand that the maximum length of the extension is one year).

Applicant should put their telephone number under their photograph that is affixed to the form; e.g.: “Tel:” followed by the number.

If the applicant is completing their form (not someone else on their behalf) the applicant is still required to complete the section that confirms who has written out the form, including repeating the applicant’s address.

(If the applicant wishes to retain a copy, then they will need an additional copy.)

3) Two passport-standard photographs of applicant, 4 x 6 cm; being one for each TM.7 form. (Please also see Notes above.)

6) Applicant’s Passport (or “travel documents”).

The page showing the current Thai Non-Immigrant Visa should be copied together with the Thai “Departure Card TM.6” to show both of these on the same photocopy

(but check if they instead require the TM.6 to be copied on a separate photocopy.)

7) Required Non-Immigrant Visa as shown in applicant’s Passport (see 2 above).

8) “Departure Card TM.6” (see 2 above):

Warning:

If the applicant finds they need to detach this card from their Passport for photocopying purposes, they should take care not to lose it - Re-attach it as soon as possible!

9) Original Thai Marriage Certificate and two copies [or (“If from abroad, certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate) with Certificate of Family, Certificate of Marriage”) [extract from Immigration checklist]].

10) Thai wife’s original I.D. Card, and two copies.

11) Original Thai wife’s House Registration book, and two copies.

12) Original Birth Certificate with two copies, of any minor-children born in Thailand.

13) Either:

A)

i) Original Letter and two copies, from applicant’s Thai Bank certifying money in applicant’s name in the Thai bank account, at more than 400,000 Baht in the account UNDIMINISHED for more than 2 months for a first application, or UNDIMINISHED for more than 3 months on subsequent applications for this visa.

Note:

Banks normally make a charge for their letter, and their letter apparently remains valid for one month (however I suggest the applicant check this period of validity with Immigration.)

ii) Original Bank account book (being the current one with any cancelled previous books from the same account) showing the WHOLE of the above-mentioned 2, or 3, month period as applicable, together with two copies of all pages.

Or:

B)

Income or Pension certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate at more than 40,000 Baht per month, and two copies.

14) Map and copy, showing home and its surrounding streets.

(This may have to be drawn by-hand, if a local map is not available or is not available from something like Google Maps (but check if this type of map is permitted).)

The map may be required to be drawn on an Immigration-issued form – so do check Immigration requirements.

15) Two sets of current “family” photos showing both the applicant and his Thai wife in one room of their home (the address given on the visa application form), and in such further rooms of the home as may be specified by Immigration (check with them as to their requirements).

(On photographic paper, two sets of the image(s) are required, affixed to A4 blank photocopying paper.)

16) Original Rental Agreement (Tenancy Agreement) (if applicable), and two copies, for the applicant’s address entered on the Visa application form.

17) Two copies of the House Registration of the applicant’s address as entered on the Visa application form.

18) Two copies of the I.D. card of the property owner (landlord) (if applicable) of the rented property. Write the property owner’s telephone number onto both copies.

19) Two copies of the House Registration of the landlord’s (if applicable) personal home.

20) Guarantee form (which can be signed by the Thai wife); supplied at the counter.

21) Form for applicant to acknowledge visa conditions; supplied at the counter.

Once the Visa has been issued:

One set of:

Note:

The applicant should have a second copy of the completed form available in case Immigration require it, and also a third copy where the applicant wishes to retain a copy.)

2) Two (one photo and one spare) 4 x 6 cm passport-standard photographs of applicant. (Please also see Notes above.)

Copy of I.D. page, and also a copy of the page showing the current (new) visa.

Thus if the applicant wishes to apply for a Re-Entry Permit on the same occasion that the new visa has been granted, the applicant may first need leave the Immigration office to get a copy of the Passport page showing the new visa!)

Once the Visa has been issued, the owner of the property (if applicable) that the applicant is renting, (being the applicant’s address entered on the Visa application form), must:

together with:

Registration of the visa-holder’s address is not completed until this has been done. (Immigration cannot confirm the Visa-holder’s address to for example, offices like the “Land Transport Department”, until the above has been completed.)

The property owner may be willing to hand this paperwork over to the visa holder for them to hand in to Immigration.

Warning:

“90 day Reporting” by the foreigner of their address to Immigration, is required every 90 days from when they enter the Kingdom irrespective of the issuance of subsequent new visas!

They must report within a period of time based on the date stated on the slip given to them by Immigration and placed in the passport.

(Just to be clear: An old 90 day slip is not returned to the visa holder when a new one is issued.)

- - - - End of “Checklist with Notes for: Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage” - - - -

Edited by Robert333

5 minutes ago, Robert333 said:

Yes, you are right. The period for which savings must remain undiminished in a Thai savings account should be 2 months for the first application and 3 months for subsequent applications.

For an extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon marriage it is 2 months for every extension.

The 2 (really 60 days in the rules) and 3 months is for an extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

Thank ubonjoe for replying.

It is a "visa", and you cannot "extend" it; but rather you apply for a new such visa each year.

The word "extension" is used in the context of your stay:

You have a temporary stay, extended by reason of your marriage to a Thai citizen.

Regards,

Robert333

10 minutes ago, Robert333 said:

It is a "visa", and you cannot "extend" it; but rather you apply for a new such visa each year.

You don't apply for a new visa every year . You apply for a new extension of your stay every year.

You use a TM7 to apply and it is titled. " APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM"

I extended the 90 day permit to stay I got from a non-o visa 9 times.

• Like 2

Just want to add the following:

The viewing format here seems to put posted text within rather a small area. You may therefore find viewing the checklist easier by copying it to your own computer, or printing it out.

If you wish to print it out, I recommend that once you have the text in a document on your computer, that you first change the colour of the text to black!

I do not know why it is, but whenever text (originally in black) is uploaded to web sites, it often seems to get changed to grey once it is downloaded again. (Grey text is unsuitable for printing as it comes out rather faint.)

Regards,

Robert333

Yes, exactly - it is the same thing:

For this visa, you have to apply for a new one each year, and also what you are doing is applying to extend your temporary stay.

This website's posting system is strange. You get a short amount of time in which to post or edit (editing only available for a short period) and if you exceed this, then you cannot post the message and you also get logged-out and have to log in again to attempt to post your message again.

Regards,

Robert333

Nope. You do not apply for a new visa every year.

You apply for a 12 month extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

Your checklist is so complex with so much wrong information in it that it is not worth the bother of reading it.

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 2

Yes, exactly - it is the same thing:

For this visa, you have to apply for a new one each year, and also what you are doing is applying to extend your temporary stay.

This website's posting system is strange. You get a short amount of time in which to post or edit (editing only available for a short period) and if you exceed this, then you cannot post the message and you also get logged-out and have to log in again to attempt to post your message again.

Regards,

Robert333

4 hours ago, Robert333 said:

The word "extension" is used in the context of your stay:

You have a temporary stay, extended by reason of your marriage to a Thai citizen.

Regards,

Robert333

Hey Robert333 just confirming what Ubonjoe and Phuket Man stated, it is not a visa, it is an extension of stay, many people including myself in the beginning got it wrong, there is no visa, its an extension of stay based on retirement or marrage to a Thai with both having 90 reporting. Why they don't have visa's, I don't know, but their country, their rules.

I just went from an extension of stay based on retirment to an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai and it was very straight forward, Ubonjoe was kind enough to provide me with a single pdf sheet with a short list of things we would require, the only thing nobody sees coming is the tea money, 1,500 baht for them to come to the house, 1 hour 20 drive, wasn't going to argue, its a one off and have learnt to let go of my principles when I came here 16 months ago, new place, different house rules 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

Hello 4MyEgo,

Thanks for your response. I believe what people here are advising is that the law may say that a qualifying Visa is first required and then that visa can be extended by reason of marriage.

Well okay, - now while I don't what to be annoying, nevertheless that "extension" is also described (whether the regulations say so or not), as a "visa"!:

Quote:

"Marriage Visa and Retirement Visa

There is no direct application for this 2 visa types. But don’t worry its not going to be a complicated process, as long as you will meet the special financial requirements for the application. How to obtain a Marriage Visa in Thailand?":

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-visa-types.php

Thai Marriage Visa:

This visa is valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand and can be extended to 1 year at Thai Immigration if you meet the requirements for the visa extension ...”

http://www.thaiimmigration.net/extending-your-thai-visa.html

Regards,

Robert333

Edited by Robert333
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert333 said:

Hello 4MyEgo,

Thanks for your response. I believe what people here are advising is that the law may say that a qualifying Visa is first required and then that visa can be extended by reason of marriage.

Well okay, - now while I don't what to be annoying, nevertheless that "extension" is also described (whether the regulations say so or not), as a "visa"!:

Quote:

"Marriage Visa and Retirement Visa

There is no direct application for this 2 visa types. But don’t worry its not going to be a complicated process, as long as you will meet the special financial requirements for the application. How to obtain a Marriage Visa in Thailand?":

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-visa-types.php

Regards,

Robert333

This not an official Thai Government site. This is a private company.

In response to Phuket Man who wrote that my checklist has:

"so much wrong information in it"

One mistake was mentioned and has been corrected in the updated version as reposted above.

Perhaps Phuket Man did not identify any other errors.

Regards,

Robert333

Hello,

I offer the following updated checklist to help with the paperwork required for the Marriage Extension, when applying for this visa to Immigration i.e within Thailand.

This document commences with notes numbered with roman numerals, followed by the checklist.

The checklist is followed by guidance for applying for a Re-Entry Permit.

Description of for what you are applying:

“Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”.

Consequently this “Extension” is often described on the Internet as a “marriage visa”.

Reason for applying to be given by the applicant on the application form:

These notes and checklist do not discuss eligibility for the “Extension”, though:

marriage of the applicant to a Thai citizen will be prerequisite [I understand under Thai law], with required qualifying current visa, valid passport, compliance with financial requirements, and a police records check.

The following checklist is for applying for this “Extension” from Thai Immigration (i.e. within Thailand).

i) The documentary requirements are the same for each yearly application for this “Extension”.

ii) Timing:

First application:

From two months before new first application for this “Extension”, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole two months till the application.

Subsequent applications:

From three months before a new subsequent “Extension” application, ensure the required amount of Baht in a Thai savings account, as it must remain undiminished for a whole three months till the application.

Make the subsequent application about one month before expiry of your existing “Extension”.

iii)

iv) Blue pen:

v) Photocopies:

vi) WARNING:

Visas / “Extensions” obtained from Immigration are automatically-cancelled when the visa / “Extension” holder leaves the Kingdom, unless BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, the holder obtains from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

Where any “Visa” has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where the it has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, and the Passport to which the “Visa” was affixed has been replaced for any reason, then the holder MUST retain their Old Passport, so that they can show both the old and new Passports to Immigration upon any re-entry to Thailand.

Where any “Visa” has been obtained from a Thai Embassy where it has either an un-used single, or a multiple-entry function, but where unfortunately subsequently the holder lost their Passport, obtained a replacement Passport, and then had a note of their “visa” put onto the new Passport, they should be aware that:

Therefore if a “Extension” holder wishes to retain an un-used single or a multiple-entry function, they MUST, and BEFORE leaving the Kingdom, obtain from Thai Immigration a “Re-Entry Permit”, applied for on form TM.8.

It prevents the visa / “Extension” to which it relates, being automatically cancelled upon leaving Thailand.

(A “Re-Entry Permit” adds no further time to any visa / “Extension”, remaining valid only up to the date of expiry of the current visa / “Extension”.)

For the Application for Extension and also a “Re-Entry Permit” application, a total of 3 photos of the applicant 4 x 6 cm, are required.

(My recommendations:

ix) Fees:

Fee payable upon the paperwork being accepted for the “Extension” application.

x) Once the applicant’s paperwork has been accepted, they do not receive the “Extension” immediately, but are given a date to again personally attend Immigration when the result of the application is notified. This date may be either for before or after the expiry of the current extension. The date of re-attending immigration amounts to a permission to stay until then, but should there be a delay in considering the application, Immigration can extend this time, and if this occurs they do not make any new stamp about this further time in the passport.

and also on a first application for this “Extension”, to send an Immigration officer to the applicant’s address to verify from neighbours that the applicant is living there.

Before attending on the date given to see the result of the application, look at the next blank area / next blank page of the passport where any new stamp may be put. If either the 90 reporting receipt or the Departure Card are currently fixed to these areas, I recommend re-affixing them to used-pages, respectively. This is simply to make visible and available the next usable area of the passport (to seek to avoid wasting this space).

Landlord’s notification:

xii) Once the Extension has been issued, the owner of the property that the applicant is renting (if applicable) being the applicant’s address entered on their application form, must notify Immigration of Alien(s) being in his property – See further details that follow the checklist.

Checklist for application for “Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage”:

1) Both applicant and his Thai wife must attend the Immigration office, with the items that follow:

2) Visa Extension Form TM.7:

To support my Thai wife”.

In the field in which the applicant is to enter the number of days they seek for the validity of the “Extension”, they should enter “365” days (since I understand that the maximum length of the extension is one year).

3) Two passport-standard photographs of applicant, 4 x 6 cm; being one for each TM.7 form. (Please also see Notes above.)

6) Applicant’s Passport (or “travel documents”).

The page showing the current Visa / “Extension” should be copied together with the Thai “Departure Card TM.6” showing both on the same photocopy

(but check the requirements of your local Immigration department.)

7) Required Non-Immigrant Visa / “Extension” as shown in applicant’s Passport (see 2 above).

8) “Departure Card TM.6” (see 2 above):

Warning:

9) Original Thai Marriage Certificate and two copies [or (“If from abroad, certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate) with Certificate of Family, Certificate of Marriage”) [extract from Immigration checklist]].

10) Thai wife’s original I.D. Card, and two copies.

11) Original Thai wife’s House Registration book, and two copies.

12) Original Birth Certificate with two copies, of any minor-children born in Thailand.

13) Either:

A)

i) Original Letter and two copies, from applicant’s Thai Bank certifying money in applicant’s name in the Thai bank account, at more than 400,000 Baht in the account UNDIMINISHED for more than 2 months for a first application, or UNDIMINISHED for more than 3 months on subsequent application.

Note:

ii) Original Bank account book (being the current one with any cancelled previous books from the same account) showing the WHOLE of the above-mentioned 2, or 3, month period as applicable, together with two copies of all pages.

Or:

B)

14) Map and copy, showing home and its surrounding streets.

15) Two sets of current “family” photos showing both the applicant and his Thai wife in one room of their home (the address given on the application form), and in such further rooms of the home as may be specified by Immigration (check with them as to their requirements).

16) Original Rental Agreement (Tenancy Agreement) (if applicable), and two copies, for the applicant’s address entered on the application form.

17) Two copies of the House Registration of the applicant’s address as entered on the application form.

18) Two copies of the I.D. card of the property owner (landlord) (if applicable) of the rented property. Write the property owner’s telephone number onto both copies.

19) Two copies of the House Registration of the landlord’s (if applicable) personal home.

20) Guarantee form (which can be signed by the Thai wife); supplied at the counter.

21) Form for applicant to acknowledge conditions; supplied at the counter.

Once the Extension has been granted:

One set of:

Note:

Copy of I.D. page, and also a copy of the page showing the current (new) “Extension”.

Thus if the applicant wishes to apply for a Re-Entry Permit on the same occasion that the new “Extension” has been granted, the applicant may first need leave the Immigration office to get a copy of the Passport page showing the new “Extension”!)

Once the “Extension” has been issued, the owner of the property (if applicable) that the applicant is renting, (being the applicant’s address entered on the application form), must:

together with:

Registration of the “Extension” holder’s address is not completed until this has been done. (Immigration cannot confirm the “Extension” holder’s address to for example, offices like the “Land Transport Department”, until the above has been completed.)

The property owner may be willing to hand this paperwork over to the “Extension” holder for them to hand in to Immigration.

Warning:

“90 day Reporting” by the foreigner of their address to Immigration, is required every 90 days from when they enter the Kingdom irrespective of the issuance of subsequent visas / “Extensions”!

(Just to be clear: An old 90 day slip is not returned to the “Extension” holder when a new one is issued.)

- - - - End of “Checklist with Notes for: Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage” - - - -

The following is incorrect. In your most recent one.

A foreign marriage must be registered at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22. Also I see no mention of a updated Kor 2 for a marriage registered here.

i) Original Bank account book (being the current one with any cancelled previous books from the same account) showing the WHOLE of the above-mentioned 2, or 3, month period as applicable, together with two copies of all pages.

Or:

B)

Income or Pension certified by Thai Embassy or Consulate at more than 40,000 Baht per month, and two copies.

It is 400k baht only needs to be a Thai bank for 2 months for every extension. The income certification is done at a persons home country embassy or consulate here in the country.

The are also other errors I could point out.

• Like 1

In response to ubonjoe:

The reference to marriage certificates is a quote from an Immigration checklist. If you have such complaints you should put this to Immigration; not me.

Regarding the required savings, I make it quite clear at the commencement of the document that it only covers applying for this "Extension" within Thailand from Immigration.

There are currently three postings of my checklist on this thread. The first two versions of it have been superseded by the latest one.

I attempted to suggest to the management of this website, that the text of the first two versions (of the checklist) be deleted so as to not confuse the reader, but this request was declined; which by the way, is usual with most websites.

Regards,

Robert333

Edited by Robert333