Is this true? Report within 24 hours to immigration after arrival

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Who told him he needed to report?

Unless he plans on applying for an extension of the 30 day entry he has nothing to worry about. If a person does not need to do something at immigration there is nothing to worry. 

He's quite worried about this.  It was the immigration official at the airport that issued the visa exemption.  Told him to go to Jomtien within 24 hours or face a fine.  He's leaving in a few weeks, so no extension necessary.

Perhaps this was to report his residence?

16 minutes ago, wprime said:

He probably didn't put an address on his arrival card and refused to supply one when asked.

I can't answer that, but he's staying where he always does.  Same building.  It'd be easy to provide as he knows the address and unit number.  He's been here several times over the past 5 or 6 years.  Always stays at the same place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He's quite worried about this.  It was the immigration official at the airport that issued the visa exemption.  Told him to go to Jomtien within 24 hours or face a fine.  He's leaving in a few weeks, so no extension necessary.

Interesting that they have told him at the airport arrivals. The law is there to require it so maybe they are now 100% about everybody needing to comply whether there is any need to do other business at an immigration office or not. 

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Odd that the immigration officer at the airport even mentioned it. I would guess most of them would not even know about such a requirement.

As I wrote he has nothing to worry about. Nobody is going be chasing him down because he did not report.

It would be to report his residence but for most people that would be the hotel where he is staying responsibility.

Unless it's his condo, immigration officer has it wrong and is possibly baulking at the number of stamps in his passport. As noted above, it is down to the hotel/condo owner to report/email immigration the list of aliens staying at their property. I would ignore it; some just like to big-up themselves up by barking out arbitrary orders.

• Like 2

normal confusion and ineptness, classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

If he goes to immigration as ordered, maybe he gets a free order of somtum, or just confused and blank stares?

Organized chaos supreme, but so normal.

• Like 1

Just spoke to his friend who's a travel agent.  I guess this guy got here about 2 weeks ago.  Went to immigration to ask a few questions and he was asked where he was staying.  He said in a rented condo.  He said he hadn't registered and they fined him 4,000 Baht.  This happened late last week.  According to this travel agent, they are now enforcing this old law, starting last Tuesday.  The officer there said the fine is something like 200B/day.

Sorry for the unclear facts.  Language issues are a problem and the actual guy is on a bus headed to Issan.  So yes, I'm getting this second hand. 

Joe: have you hear anything like this?  My friend is going to immigration right now to get some more info. 

Everyone saying he doesnt need to.. The law says he does.. TM28 as well as a TM30. 

If that law is ignored, if that law is badly enforced, if he gets away with it are different things. By law not only must he report within 24h he must do so for each address change. A totally dumb and routinely ignored law.. Until they see profit out of it. 

• Like 2

Your friend entered on a 30 day Visa exempt and notified his place of residence on the TM6.

Unless he changes address, he has complied with the law and has no need to visit Immigration.

The Condo owner should have reported an alien taking up residence in his Condo.

That should be no concern of your friend.

It sounds as though your friend was fined for not notifying a 'change of address' from the fines you posted.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

The fine for a housemaster not reporting an aliens presence under section 38;

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Everyone saying he doesnt need to.. The law says he does.. TM28 as well as a TM30. 

If that law is ignored, if that law is badly enforced, if he gets away with it are different things. By law not only must he report within 24h he must do so for each address change. A totally dumb and routinely ignored law.. Until they see profit out of it. 

As long as you stay at the address stated on a TM6 arrival card, there is no requirement for a foreigner to complete a TM28, which is notification of a change of address.

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Your friend entered on a 30 day Visa exempt and notified his place of residence on the TM6.

Unless he changes address, he has complied with the law and has no need to visit Immigration.

It sounds as though your friend was fined for not notifying a 'change of address' from the fines you posted.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

You forget to mention it's 2000bht PER OFFENCE going back as far they want too.Fact is, you either need to be reported OR report yourself. It's pointless to keep denying it and the advice being given to people to ignore it is wrong and false.

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

This doesn't synch with what Joe says.  It seems to be a shakedown.  Pure and simple.  And it is a concern of my friend as he just got fined 4,000B for this! LOL

• Like 2

If its true, what great way to invite more tourists to the country....Welcome to Thailand and by the way your first day of your holidays is going to be spent sat at Chang Wattanna :coffee1:

Precisely, they don't do this to real tourists, it would make the travel pages of the "Daily Beast", be picked up by other media and make Thailand a laughing stock. They do this to people 'working' the system, I don't think that it is a policy which goes to a very high level, it is probably considered "acceptable perks". I think that it was grossly unfair when we first heard of it because the chap pays his dues at a higher level with an Elite Visa. Immigration fining a Thai Elite member is like a traffic policeman booking a Merc. driver for a parking offence.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

Just now, tgeezer said:

Precisely, they don't do this to real tourists, it would make the travel pages of the "Daily Beast", be picked up by other media and make Thailand a laughing stock. They do this to people 'working' the system, I don't think that it is a policy which goes to a very high level, it is probably considered "acceptable perks". I think that it was grossly unfair when we first heard of it because the chap pays his dues at a higher level with an Elite Visa. Immigration fining a Thai Elite member is like a traffic policeman booking a Merc. driver for a parking offence.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

This is a real tourist.  Hasn't been here in several years, and is only here for less than 30 days.  I'd call that a "real" tourist.  Great way to attract new tourists.

I guess the Norwegian consulate is aware of this and told me friend it's an old law that is now being reactivated.  Apparently due to the bombs at Erawan Shrine.

25 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This doesn't synch with what Joe says.  It seems to be a shakedown.  Pure and simple.  And it is a concern of my friend as he just got fined 4,000B for this! LOL

It synchs completely with what you stated.

If your friend was fined under section 38 the max fine is 2,000 baht. (TM30)

Under section 37 (TM28) the fine will not exceed 5,000 baht and 200 baht a day until the law is complied with.

The actual facts are only known to your friend. Your statements are hearsay

If your friend put the Condo address on his TM6, but then stayed in a hotel for one night, the hotel would report this.

Then moving into the Condo would in fact be a change of address.

We don't know the facts, so everything posted is speculation.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

Just now, dentonian said:

It sinks completely with what you stated.

Under section 37 (TM28) the fine will not exceed 5,000 baht and 200 baht a day until the law is complied with.

If your friend put the Condo address on his TM6, but then stayed in a hotel for one night, the hotel would report this.

Not everything I've posted is speculation nor hearsay.  Thanks for your support....

• Like 2

Just now, dentonian said:

It sinks completely with what you stated.

We know the facts as to why a TM6 isn't good enough. The fact is this all started after the Erawan shrine bombing and false entry's on a TM6 card.

13 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not everything I've posted is speculation nor hearsay.  Thanks for your support....

A friend just arrived here a few days ago

Just spoke to his friend who's a travel agent.

He said he hadn't registered and they fined him 4,000 Baht. 

Language issues are a problem and the actual guy is on a bus headed to Issan.  So yes, I'm getting this second hand. 

I'd like to say your friend has been scammed and he should ring 1111 to complain.

However the facts are all second hand and we don't know what actually happened.

Do you know if this guy (your friend) obtained a receipt for his fine.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dentonian said:

I'd like to say your friend has been scammed and he should ring 1111 to complain.

However the facts are all second hand and we don't know what actually happened.

Do you know if this guy (your friend) obtained a receipt for his fine.

Not so sure this is a scam or selective enforcement of a real law.  It is the law, but it's rarely enforced.  Seems the "scam" only happens at the immigration office.  I guess that kinda makes sense.

He's in Issan, so can't get more info.  But several Norwegians are looking into this including the travel agent who's got a business just down the road from immigration.

17 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

We know the facts as to why a TM6 isn't good enough. The fact is this all started after the Erawan shrine bombing and false entry's on a TM6 card.

Nonsense.

My son visited on a Visa exempt a few weeks ago and received no such instruction at the airport.

He filed my address on his TM6.

I filed a TM30 (as the occupier) with Immigration informing of his presence at my address.

No fines or problems whatsoever.

• Like 2