Is this true? Report within 24 hours to immigration after arrival

36 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Just to support this very reasonable assumption. The Act states that section 37 (alien's duty) and section 38 (householder's duty) shall be accomplished by a system laid down by the Director of the Police Dept. The existence of forms TM 28 and TM 30 and probably TM6 would seem to indicate that such a system has been established.
In fact only the bad translation which says something like "am at " instead of "now moved to" makes transgression possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The best translation/printing error (TM28 I think) is in the address field where instead of Tambon, they print 'Tampon'.

If only they knew. lol.

Was just at Jomtien immigration today and they told me it's a law that has always been on the books but was never enforced......but will be now. The immigration officer said she could fine me but chose not too.

Seems stupid because you have to put the address you're staying at on your TM 6 card you give them at the airport. TIT

Just my opinion but I think after they get inundated with farangs coming in they'll slack off.

Was on thai airways flight coming in a few days ago and for the first time ever I heard them announce on the pa to fill in your arrival cards and make sure there's an address or immigration might refuse entry. I only thought this a bit weird because I've never heard it before in 8 years coming in. But all you have to do is put Marriott bkk on the form and that's that.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The best translation/printing error (TM28 I think) is in the address field where instead of Tambon, they print 'Tampon'.
If only they knew. lol.

I hadn't noticed that. These rules apply only to those living in condoms in the tampons.

So if I go to Bangkok (from Singapore) for the weekend & stay at my mates Condo who's supposed to do the TM30?

Me? Him or his Landlord?

Obviously Immigration isn't open from 8pm on a Friday to 6PM on a Sunday whilst I'd be in Thailand

I was informed by local immigration who knows me that I forgot to report my 3 day stay in CM on a layover. The showed me the form that the guest house completed and turned in as required. Technically, by law, both parties are supposed to report.  Of course it's so ridiculous and impractical that 90% of expats don't know about it and/or care. ... mai roo nakhralp.... kaw toht nakhrap.... khap khoon mahk khrap! At worst the fine is 4,000 baht I think.

6 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

normal confusion and ineptness, classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

If he goes to immigration as ordered, maybe he gets a free order of somtum, or just confused and blank stares?

Organized chaos supreme, but so normal.

Thailand immigration seems to be getting more like Faulty Towers every day.

Jomtien Immigration has posted this sign:
58a2cb92d5edf_documentsrequiredbyPattayaImmigration.JPG.687f05e9f0d877bee1d88d77e75cbb1e.JPG

I am in Bangkok and it doesn't apply here. This notice is probably written in good faith but the part in red is not part of 37(2) so it may be as I suggested a long time ago, the provinces don't get the TM 6 information and The Act doesn't allow for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, uptheos said:

Do people actually think because they have a gripe with Thailand, the whole world is going to read their post and boycott Thailand. It's doing quite nicely tourist wise, it's not Iraq, Yemen or Somalia. Tourists actually can move around and see lots of things, places in relative safety. The story of someone being fined putting a dent in the tourist industry is just laughable.

That is why I put the coffee at the end, its called being sarcastic and having a dry sense of humour.

Maybe you should try it sometimes

How do you know its not Iraq?  Have you been?  Well I have, for 3 years and I am going back soon 

• Like 1

I think it's probably up to each individual immigration office. Jomtien is very strict on this and there are signs up to warn people that they need the Notification of Résidence within 24 hours. I did mine, and the man there said that if I had not, I would have been refused my extension, which I am doing tomorrow. They staple a receipt of this into your passport which you then have to give them when you return. If this law is being carried out now nationally, it would be kind of them to at least inform all travellers concerned the procedure .

I think that all falang should create the following kind of collective activity, which is to clog up all immigration offices EVERY DAY with reporting, requests for information, with requests for paperwork and any other requests and especially reporting their addresses EVERY DAY or even several times a day. Once Immigration gets sick of it, they will then change the rules or at least make them clear.

I am waiting for he day when a university offers a Masters Degree in Thai Immigration studies which will qualify the recipient to be an immigration advisor for all those foreigners in Thailand or wanting to live in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Listen to ubonjoe, he knows what he's talking about.

I've never had to pay a fine at the Chon Buri (Jomtien) Immigration and just present a new TM-30 every time I have to go there.  This TM-30 thing started there over a year ago, previously they never asked for one.

If I was staying just 30 days or less on a visa exemption stamp I wouldn't even think or worry about it, but that's me.  Your best resource of information on this forum is ubonjoe.

I am confused then. I do 90 day reports with the last one 2 months ago and I have never been asked to fill one in?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franckpattaya said:

Yes,it's compulsory in Jomtien. I did it 14 days ago, I am on retirement visa, married from 22 years, living in the house of my wife.

Fill the T.M 30 and you will get a receipt of notification to staple in your passport,

If you don't do and one day you have to go to immigration for 90 days, re-entry,extension  of stay,etc,  immigration will check if you did the T.M 30.

If not, fine from 800 baht to 4000 baht

Was this the first time you were asked for it? (see my comment above)

For the record, "Chang Puek" magazine is a local Chiang Mai tourist publication, one of those freebie, give-away magazines that you see at restaurants and hotels.  Interesting that they would have an article with real editorial content.

And yes, Chiang Mai also has such draconian rules about the filing and maintenance of TM30s.  I know people who have left Thailand over the TM30 rules.  Just one straw too many.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, topt said:

I am confused then. I do 90 day reports with the last one 2 months ago and I have never been asked to fill one in?

Are you the owner of your condo?  I've also never been asked for this before, but seems times are changing.

I can see this being problematic for travelers who stay a few days or a week in various places around the country.  If it's only the hotel/owner who needs to report them, then fine.  But in my friends case, that didn't work.  He's out 4,000 Baht and not happy about it.

I suspect there a a few thousand expats living in Thailand that never go on this site. Some in fact may never have gone on this site. I know of some that have never heard of having to report when out of their provinces for over 24 hrs. They have lived here for years and go where they please without any consideration for reporting themselves to immigration. 

I myself go where I want, when I want and have never reported to immigration. I am just careful to not let immigration know that I have stayed anywhere else.  Other than leaving the country, I don't see how immigration can keep track of all the expats on the move.I don't register myself in hotels, I have my wife register. I just went and  did my  90 report last week and there was no mention by immigration that I have gone anywhere. 

Maybe if someday immigration starts to check the milage on my truck I will have to fess up and tell them I have gone to see the wife's family. But, until then, I think I will just go on as I always have and the other thousand or more expats do everyday.

3 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Perhaps I'm submitting unnecessary paperwork, no idea but that's just me leaning on the side of caution. They did ask for it initially and I've complied ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I can understand if they asked you for it at some point. Had you just re-entered the country?

23 hours ago, franckpattaya said:

Yes,it's compulsory in Jomtien. I did it 14 days ago, I am on retirement visa, married from 22 years, living in the house of my wife.

Fill the T.M 30 and you will get a receipt of notification to staple in your passport,

If you don't do and one day you have to go to immigration for 90 days, re-entry,extension  of stay,etc,  immigration will check if you did the T.M 30.

If not, fine from 800 baht to 4000 baht

Do they, like Chiang Mai, require a fresh TM30 each and every time you return to Thailand from a trip abroad, even if your address is the same as previously?

As I've stated many times in other threads, only your own Immigration office can advise under what circumstances they expect a TM30 to be filed.

Theoretically, once a TM30 has been filed there shouldn't be any need for another unless you change permanent address.

On the flip side, I can understand re-filing when you've left the Country, now free of any Thai Immigration controls, then re-enter and have to comply with the Immigration laws just the same as anyone who had made a first entry.

Filing every 90 days, or at annual extensions is just absurd.

20 minutes ago, dentonian said:

On the flip side, I can understand re-filing when you've left the Country, now free of any Thai Immigration controls, then re-enter and have to comply with the Immigration laws just the same as anyone who had made a first entry.

I.E., if you came in just with a visit stamp or visa which expires after or when you leave, and come back with a new visa, you have to submit a new TM30 even if you're going back to the same address. That seems logical.

My suspicion is that the IO believed for whatever reason the person was not staying at a hotel, GH, etc - private residence. Therefore the need to report.

I don't recall reading...maybe he's on a non O and there's some residence requirement tied into it that's usually never enforced? I know some Europeans had been getting non Os in Europe.

19 hours ago, dentonian said:

19 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I.E., if you came in just with a visit stamp or visa which expires after or when you leave, and come back with a new visa, you have to submit a new TM30 even if you're going back to the same address. That seems logical.

And I think that freedom for Thai immigration controls is a red herring in any case. After all, you are still required to file a fresh TM30 if you move from address X to address Y, even if you have undertaken the move direct instead of via a trip to foreign parts!

• 2 weeks later...