Shooting In Reggae Pub

Guys,

If your parents are into the night life parts of Samui, there may be a very, very small risk that maybe, but only maybe, something may happen to them, similar or less actually than Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket.

In my opinion it's more dangerous riding a bike on Samui (ideally without helmet and proper shoes), you're more likely to have an accident on such a bike than being shot at on Samui.

Can you guys keep this in perspective please?

Do your parents at home hang out in the night life areas of town, together with alleged drug dealers? If your answer is no, why shouldn't your respective parents (or anybody else for that matter) NOT come to Samui?

Its in perspective my friend, what I'm saying is that if it hits international press its gonna be a worry for my Mum coz obviously she doesn't know the country like us and hearing that foreigners have been shot in the place she'll be next month isn't very comforting is it?

We will be sometimes in these areas at night grabbing a bit of food or what not and you don't need to be hanging about with drug dealers to be near them or in the area when you hear the shots, which kinda dampens the holiday spirit. I'm not worried about them being shot, but I want them to feel safe and enjoy the place. The point about the Ozzie chick was just to show that innocents can be effected, not just those involved in dodgy trades down there.

I know myself the risk just ain't there really, but it does make you think a little. Or maybe I just think a bit much when it comes to my family but of course it is a concern of mine. I want them to have a good holiday, not worry about this stuff.

You see my point really, its not so much about myself keeping this in perspective its me Mum's perspective I worry about. She already thinks she gonna be staying in a mud hut. :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

If your parents are into the night life parts of Samui, there may be a very, very small risk that maybe, but only maybe, something may happen to them, similar or less actually than Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket.

In my opinion it's more dangerous riding a bike on Samui (ideally without helmet and proper shoes), you're more likely to have an accident on such a bike than being shot at on Samui.

Do your parents at home hang out in the night life areas of town, together with alleged drug dealers? If your answer is no, why shouldn't your respective parents (or anybody else for that matter) NOT come to Samui?

Its in perspective my friend, what I'm saying is that if it hits international press its gonna be a worry for my Mum coz obviously she doesn't know the country like us and hearing that foreigners have been shot in the place she'll be next month isn't very comforting is it?

We will be sometimes in these areas at night grabbing a bit of food or what not and you don't need to be hanging about with drug dealers to be near them or in the area when you hear the shots, which kinda dampens the holiday spirit. I'm not worried about them being shot, but I want them to feel safe and enjoy the place. The point about the Ozzie chick was just to show that innocents can be effected, not just those involved in dodgy trades down there.

I know myself the risk just ain't there really, but it does make you think a little. Or maybe I just think a bit much when it comes to my family but of course it is a concern of mine. I want them to have a good holiday, not worry about this stuff.

You see my point really, its not so much about myself keeping this in perspective its me Mum's perspective I worry about. She already thinks she gonna be staying in a mud hut. :o

BKKMadness.. I think its better you contact your folks and tell them this is a one in a million, mind you that young English Lass getting Raped and Murdered in Lamai gota lot of English Press coverage..

This Really is an Isolated case but I think you should tell specially your Mum if you think she will be worried..Then if she doesnt want to go to Samui you got time to make new plans,,

Guys,

You see my point really, its not so much about myself keeping this in perspective its me Mum's perspective I worry about. She already thinks she gonna be staying in a mud hut. :D

BKKMadness,

Guess it's about time that you find a decent place to live :o

Good luck with your Mum.

Edited by limbos

I'd still like some more info especially identities. also where there drugs involved? where they dealers or punters, maybe a bad deal that got out of hand? any way what news services are carrying this as I haven't got a scooby?

My condolences to the family and friends of the victim(s). Regardless of what these folks did or were involved in, there are probably better ways of addressing it than with a gun. Family and friends will now have anguish that they didn't deserve.

The guy who died was from Norway, the other is from Sweden. The Swedish guy owed some money for drugs. A discussion about when he was going to pay turned into an argument and the Thai he owed stormed off. A while later when they were leaving Soi Reggae he came back and shot them.

The Norwegian wasn't a user or a dealer, he just happened to be friends with a guy who was into drugs, and he's the one who is dead.

Strange, most newspapers here seem to have nothing on the incident... I can only find it in Khaosod.

According to their report and if the translation I got is correct, the victims were kokain dealers on Koh Samui and Phuket and also extorted other farangs such as bar owners.

The dead one is 34-year-old Norwegian John Terry (according to Danish media his is a Danish citizen, though), his injured Swiss friend is called Jodam or something.

Police have already arrested a Thai and an only 20-year-old Dutch guy called Stephan Monte Liburg (or something like that). Another Thai is un the run.

Great - farangs ruining it for farangs once again...

In Swedish media it is a Swedish guy 34 years old that got shot in his back sitting on a motorbike. His friend, that he met first time the day before, was a Danish guy, same age. He got shot two times in his head.

They say it was the Danish guy that was the target.

Up here in Mae Nam everything wonderful and quiet no lead flying through the air... but electricity was down 'n out all day!

To get shot in samui is probably as one will get the jackpot in any Lottery.

Been often around, in the Reggea, Sweet Soul, The Green Mango (don't like much) in the Night-Life Areas, once been very close to a shooting... only the hysterical girls upsetme a bit - it's NOT MY BUSINESS!

They who get involved in stufflike this - asking for it!

The man that died was born in Norway but lived in Denmark and was using his Danish passport.

No, he was born in Denmark, had a Danish passport - but lived in Norway.

Maybe you are right.

The Danes tell one story, the Norwegian tell the other way.

It was a Norwigian/Dane in both cases.

The Swede only knew him for one day and got unlucky.

I am also planning to book a Holiday vacation for my parents. They wanted to go to Samui. Shall I proceed?

Sure, it a large Island and this was a "shot in the dark" (no pun ) Great place for now, and I've not seen things like this, while I've been there, and thats a lot, so come on down. No problems. Sad that these things happen, but if you keep your nose clean, you should be cool. Life has NO guarantees!

Condolences to the family of the victims.

Edited by SamuiJens

• 3 weeks later...

i live samui 4 years and had no problems. like most places there is trouble if you look for it.

the most dangous thing in samui is motor bike taxi's and not getting ripped off my the missaerble yellow taxi drivers who hide thier meters under the dash bord so they for the tourist to pay large amount notes.

if anything reuins samui it won't be the beautiful new buildings or the drugs it will be those ponsing little annoying taxi drivers. just ignore them. they don;t even deserve a response. the rest of samui is fine. little bit more expensive than the rest of thailand but it has an island feel to it and the police are more relaxed but firm round here which makes it more enjoyable than the rest of thailand or more different.

thats my take anyway

i herd that the 2 that were shot were out on a yabba and coke drug binge for about 4 days. when the thais demanded there money. the 2 that were shot told them to go f- themselves. so the thais came back and shot them.

lesson for those out there. the thais are relaxed but they don't take sh-t specailly when money is involved and yaabaa

• 2 weeks later...

i have known the victim for a few months nice guy spke to him a few hours before the shooting he was not out of his head on drugs or booze, just his normal self. the reason the news has been so low key is the shooter worked at Central Samui Hotel and being a Thai owned hotel they put pressure on the press to keep the story quite.

it was drug related and the guy who ended up dead was not involved in the dealings.

RIP JT

• 1 month later...

yes they are brown bread. they were on the yabaa. disrespect thier dealers becuase they were binging out on the gear. the end result was well. read the monthly paper. it is all in thier.

play with the monkies sometimes they bite

• 1 year later...
Well i reckon after reading the Thai visa posters theories the local police aren't that bad.

I have never read so much rubbish in my life.

Inspector Clouseau would be proud of you all.

but fact remains that Samui and KPNG are horribly dangerous places...people get shot here all the time and no one cares unless they are locals..even then only sometimes. I say if you want to live long and happy do NOT try to do it on Samui.

Well i reckon after reading the Thai visa posters theories the local police aren't that bad.

but fact remains that Samui and KPNG are horribly dangerous places...people get shot here all the time and no one cares unless they are locals..even then only sometimes. I say if you want to live long and happy do NOT try to do it on Samui.

I live in Haad Rin KPG from 2000 and I've seen some fighting, a couple of shootings. Regarding my personal safety, I am never involved in any figthing, I run 2 business and I never, ever had a problem both with locals or BIB. So I guess this is not a so dangerous place.

:D what made you answer in a thread that had it's last post 1 year and 8 months ago ? :o

LaoPo

can't they change the laws. make guns illegal and shooting people legal. doesn't make sense but u get the same result. in amaerica you can own an m16 but convert it to automatic u get life. i mean in prison not someone elses life. thats up to the man that owns the m16. i like M150

According to channel 7 news, a swiss and a norwegian.

Also according to channel 7 they were long time stayers, dealing heroin.

If it is true, then I guess they got hit by their own bad karma..

maybe it was the first time they bought heroin. someone told them to shoot up. so instead of injecting they shot up the place.

yes they are brown bread. they were on the yabaa. disrespect thier dealers becuase they were binging out on the gear. the end result was well. read the monthly paper. it is all in thier.

play with the monkies sometimes they bite

what the hel_l does someone know my password i did not write this above. unless i was drunk or spiked

Edited by BigC